PDA

View Full Version : Best camp stove?

hansyb
01-05-2012, 18:52
Any recommendations for a good new camp stove anyone? Any pros/cons with your current stoves? Any preferences with the brand?

leaftye
01-05-2012, 19:05
My favorite camp stove is electric. Of course that means I have to camp in places with an electrical outlet. I usually go backpacking though.

ALLEGHENY
01-05-2012, 19:10
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving (http://www.adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/)

This guy knows.

Tinker
01-05-2012, 19:15
Any recommendations for a good new camp stove anyone? Any pros/cons with your current stoves? Any preferences with the brand?

I think someone's being picky with your choice of words. I'll bet you're asking about backpacking stoves.

For moderate weather many folks use canister stoves because of their simplicity and reliability. Fuel canisters can be expensive relative to Coleman or other "white gas" products (when you consider amount of water boiled per dollar).
I had a MSR Pocket Rocket and liked it but switched out to a Vargo Jet-Ti stove because it was shorter (less tippy), sturdier (stronger pot supports, better workmanship and design), and had a better flame pattern (broader for better frying or baking - which I only do when I hike with someone else).
I normally use a homemade Supercat alcohol stove when I'm hiking alone because it is stone cold simple (no moving parts, no priming, and no pot supports necessary) and because the fuel is a bit more environmentally neutral.
All stoves benefit from a windscreen.
Most canister stoves don't come with them because it would complicate them, make them cost more in a competitive market, and be one more thing that the user would have to do (an illusion, really, because, eventually, you'll want a windscreen). You can make your own with little difficulty. There are plans available online from many sources.

Feral Bill
01-06-2012, 00:55
SVEA, used from Ebay. Should last for a few decades. Heavier than some but always works and you can do actual cooking with it.

TOMP
01-06-2012, 01:20
I have a soto micro-regulator 2.5 oz. I know the review from "adventures in stoving" gave it a negative review but I like it and its super small. It seems to hold my pot (gsi pinnacle soloist and primus litech kettle) steady but I never try to bump or drag it while boiling, maybe thats why(go figure). The review also said it was hard to light which I think is kinda funny because it has a starter on it. You just push a button I dont know why that would be difficult, maybe his is defective. If elevation is too high try a normal lighter and not a starter that isnt designed for high altitudes.

Nitrojoe
01-06-2012, 01:26
Ive had several backpacking stoves over the years and my best one has been the jet boil stoves. The one I have now and use the most is the jetboil sol ti. Its weight is 8.5oz add the small canister of fuel 3.5 oz. The beauty about the jetboil system is its portabilty and ease of operation. There is no fuss with alcohol, matches, wind shield, hazard with alcohol spills, cooking pot. It will boil water, two cups, under three minutes and there is no problem buying fuel canisters on the AT. The PO will ship up to three small canisters by ground.

hikin_jim
01-06-2012, 01:40
I have a soto micro-regulator 2.5 oz. I know the review from "adventures in stoving" gave it a negative review but I like it and its super small. It seems to hold my pot (gsi pinnacle soloist and primus litech kettle) steady but I never try to bump or drag it while boiling, maybe thats why(go figure). The review also said it was hard to light which I think is kinda funny because it has a starter on it. You just push a button I dont know why that would be difficult, maybe his is defective. If elevation is too high try a normal lighter and not a starter that isnt designed for high altitudes.Hi, TOMP,

Hikin' Jim here. I write all the stuff on Adventures in Stoving. I haven't exactly done a review per se of the Soto OD-1R MicroRegulator. The one comment you may be referring to was when I was using the MicroRocket's separate piezo ignition on a Soto. I was just seeing what the MR's ignition would do. That wasn't intended to be a criticism of the MicroRegulator.

HJ

Rocket Jones
01-06-2012, 08:09
I like the Snowpeak GigaPower, which is very similar to the Pocket Rocket. That said, I use a SuperCat most of the time for the same reasons mentioned above: dead simple, effective and is its own pot stand. If all I'm doing is boiling water for FBC meals and hot drinks, then the SuperCat is perfect. If I'm doing actual cooking, then it's the GigaPower.

SmokeEater
01-06-2012, 09:22
I second the Jet boil Ti Sol.

BryanR
01-06-2012, 10:01
I third the Jetboil. I've always tried to make the argument (successfully and unsuccessfully) that if you have a relatively long time between resupplies (lets say over 5 days) that a solid fuel efficient canister stove (like one of the smaller/newer Jetboils) is actually lighter than most alcohol stoves when you account for the extra fuel you must carry for the alcohol stove. The small canister for Jetboil lasted me around 10 days cooking both breakfast and dinner each day. Granted, if you have to take an extra canister b/c you have a canister that is almost empty, it might negate that advantage.

Now my disclaimer is that you can all take that argument with a grain of salt since I've never used alcohol stoves for multiple days. This is just my thoughts... I'd be interested in what people who use alcohol stoves think. In the end it was the convenience of the easy to start/quick boiling jetboil that won it over for me... not the weight.

Hiking Man
01-06-2012, 10:06
Mini Bull designs Elite alcohol stoves weighs in at .4 oz and will boil 2 cups of water around 6 mins giver or take.

Transient Being
01-06-2012, 10:23
I just got a fancee feast stove from zelph, and am pleased with it. Seems to distribute heat evenly and weighs 1oz., easy to use and fits nicely into my ziploc cup with screw on lid. came with a windscreen and little lightweight measuring cup for the fuel.

Old Boots
01-06-2012, 13:00
I agree with TOMP. Love my Soto and I made a windscreen for it our of some aluminum roof flashing that works beautifully.

hansyb
01-22-2012, 22:19
After reading up I'm gong with the soto ........thanks for all the advice! much appreciated! :-)

hikin_jim
03-12-2012, 13:45
I have a soto micro-regulator 2.5 oz. I know the review from "adventures in stoving" gave it a negative review but I like it and its super small. It seems to hold my pot (gsi pinnacle soloist and primus litech kettle) steady but I never try to bump or drag it while boiling, maybe thats why(go figure). The review also said it was hard to light which I think is kinda funny because it has a starter on it. You just push a button I dont know why that would be difficult, maybe his is defective. If elevation is too high try a normal lighter and not a starter that isnt designed for high altitudes.Hi, Tomp,

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd respond.

First, everything I've seen come out of Soto has been top quality. So, not criticism here for Soto's products. I have a Soto PocketTorch, and it is by far my favorite lighter, and I've tried more than a few. I recently did a review of the Soto Muka (http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/the-soto-muka-stove-review/) for Seattle Backpacker's Magazine. No complaints their either.

I haven't yet reviewed the Soto MicroRegulator. I do have one, and it's easy to see that it's got "quality" written all over it. I don't think it's as compact as some of my other small gas stoves. For example, the MSR MicroRocket, Snow Peak GigaPower, and the Optimus Crux are all more compact. However, its ignition system is first rate.

The one thing I'm a little skeptical about are some of the claims around cold weather operation.
Flame with warm canister:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5pJUR5SKCaA/T0VZ2vgXPiI/AAAAAAAADnQ/KQZ-_HjbmyY/s800/P1100200.JPG

Flame after canister has chilled due to a few minutes of use:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1ZBX7_hKqSo/T0VZu1JF8mI/AAAAAAAADmg/HsEIKIOWHZQ/s800/P1100198.JPG

If the regulator is able to compensate for pressure drops, why am I getting flame fade like that? I'll have more to say about that in the coming months.

Again, however, I think the Soto MicroRegulator is a good stove. I just think some of the cold weather claims might lead to disappointment.

HJ

grateful 2
03-12-2012, 21:58
+1 This guy knows. Most thru hikers will use alcohol stoves. Make or purchase one that can simmer or make a cozy that will simmer.

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving (http://www.adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/)

This guy knows.

Spokes
03-12-2012, 22:02
The best stove? Thats simple. It's "your" stove.

trucker2015
03-12-2012, 22:49
This has really helped me,
I still use a old alcohol cooker and think it's time to upgrade.

Whack-a-mole
03-13-2012, 10:54
I have a soto and I absolutely love it. With that being said, it is still hard for me to let go of my alcohol stove. I'm just into making cool little gadgets, and then using them on my trip. Plus the alcohol is so simple. One last word, simmering is so over rated. 99% of the time I'm heating water for my meals. If I want to truly cook a meal. Sometimes I will actually cook the first night out, but it's gonna be a good meal. Usually a steak with a baked potato or something. If I'm going with a few friends I'll take a no bake jello cheesecake and blow their minds when I walk up with an entire cherry cheesecake. I know I got way off topic.

hikin_jim
03-13-2012, 14:52
Cheesecake? I want to go hiking with YOU. :)

HJ

msupple
03-13-2012, 15:37
I like playing with fire so I'm bringing an Eberlit wood stove. It weighs about five ounces, folds flat and you never have to carry or worry about running out of fuel. If I find it to be too much of a hassle (i don't think so) I'll pull out one of my numerous alky stoves...probably the Fancee Feest. Oh yeah....the Emberlit makes for an awesome little mini campfire.

Phikes
03-13-2012, 16:08
the best one is the one that wont break

Feral Bill
03-13-2012, 17:07
the best one is the one that wont break Like I said in post #5, SVEA.

cabbagehead
03-13-2012, 22:18
The best stove would be designed specifically for cabbage.

trucker2015
03-13-2012, 22:50
I have a soto and I absolutely love it. With that being said, it is still hard for me to let go of my alcohol stove. I'm just into making cool little gadgets, and then using them on my trip. Plus the alcohol is so simple. One last word, simmering is so over rated. 99% of the time I'm heating water for my meals. If I want to truly cook a meal. Sometimes I will actually cook the first night out, but it's gonna be a good meal. Usually a steak with a baked potato or something. If I'm going with a few friends I'll take a no bake jello cheesecake and blow their minds when I walk up with an entire cherry cheesecake. I know I got way off topic.
It's always fun to be a backwoods five star cook!

ursa minor
04-09-2012, 18:20
Hi all - I'm planning a thru-hike next year and saw this thread. Along the same topic, what is the best stove to get that will be easiest to refuel in towns? That is, I don't want to deal with picking up canisters at post offices or having to go deep into towns to find what I need. I know there are stoves that use gasoline, but the one I looked at seemed a bit complicated to set up.

I probably won't be doing much beyond just boiling water (then again the trip is a year away - I may change my mind and decide I want to cook more).

Thanks!

Tramp
04-09-2012, 20:15
+ 1 for www.bottlestoves.com (http://www.bottlestoves.com) !!!!! just love the hell out of mine.

Lyle
04-09-2012, 20:29
The best stove would be designed specifically for cabbage.

While not designed specifically for cabbage, I have cooked an entire boiled dinner (cabbage, ham, potatoes, carrots) in two pots (Sigg Tourister Cook Kit) on a SVEA. Boiled one pot while the other pre-heated up top, then switched and boiled the second pot while the first stayed hot up top. Did have to re-fuel once or twice. Fed a BUNCH of folks that night.

Lone Wolf
04-09-2012, 20:44
Pocket Rocket is the best stove

warpzilla
04-09-2012, 21:14
cat food can for 99 cents. Feed cat. clean can. Single hole punch 16 holes around the top just under the lip. Offset another row of holes under it. Done.

CrumbSnatcher
04-09-2012, 21:27
Pocket Rocket is the best stove i agree with the wolf!

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 21:39
i agree with the wolf!The old ones or the revised versions second series?

CrumbSnatcher
04-09-2012, 21:41
The old ones or the revised versions second series?theres more than one lone wolf?:-? or did he get overhauled:D

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 21:47
theres more than one lone wolf?:-? or did he get overhauled:DNo I'm pretty sure they broke that mold,or maybe he broke it.But if you ask him,I'm pretty sure he'll tell ya.;)

CrumbSnatcher
04-09-2012, 21:48
to tell you the truth i haven't shopped stoves in a long time! so i retract my vote,and i will shut up!

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 21:51
to tell you the truth i haven't shopped stoves in a long time! so i retract my vote,and i will shut up!Me too,cause I don't even think there is a second revision series,I was just just asking start some drama....ya know slow night.:Dit's monday

Lone Wolf
04-09-2012, 21:52
No I'm pretty sure they broke that mold,or maybe he broke it.But if you ask him,I'm pretty sure he'll tell ya.;)

there's many lone wolves every year

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 21:59
there's many lone wolves every yearC'mon there Pups.

louisb
04-09-2012, 22:22
I have a pocket rocket and it works well. Though I have been kicking around the idea of getting a bushbuddy lately.

--louis

hikin_jim
04-09-2012, 22:28
Hi all - I'm planning a thru-hike next year and saw this thread. Along the same topic, what is the best stove to get that will be easiest to refuel in towns? That is, I don't want to deal with picking up canisters at post offices or having to go deep into towns to find what I need. I know there are stoves that use gasoline, but the one I looked at seemed a bit complicated to set up. Ursa,

You might just go with an alcohol stove. HEET is sold as a gas line anti-freeze in a lot of gasoline stations in a bright yellow, long-necked 12oz (355ml) bottle. It's methyl alcohol, and it makes a good stove fuel.

There are stoves that will run on unleaded automotive gasoline, but very few do it well. The best fuel for a gasoline stove is "white" gasoline such as Coleman Fuel, Crown Camp Fuel, MSR Superfuel, and Sunnyside Camp Fuel. Unleaded will leave a lot of deposits behind and tends to clog stoves.

You could also go with a wood stove, but wood stoves take some getting used to and require some skill.

HJ

q-tip
04-10-2012, 16:38
The Soto 1Dr has a new windscreen-used it this weekend--pretty good

SassyWindsor
04-11-2012, 00:00
I primarily use the Sierra Titanium Zip (modified to cut a little more weight). I also like the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone w/inferno option, can burn alcohol or esbit if not burning wood. I prefer the Zip because of its 2 speed fan allows for greater cooking diversity. Due to my frequent flying and not being able to carry fuels this works out for the best. Some airlines won't allow a gas/alcohol burning stove, or fuel containers, at all, unless they are brand new. Light weight stoves plus zero fuel weight is a very good reason for using a wood burner. Oh, and you don't have to leave the trail to search for fuel and being able to heat all the water one wants isn't bad either.

hikin_jim
04-11-2012, 23:53
Due to my frequent flying and not being able to carry fuels this works out for the best. Some airlines won't allow a gas/alcohol burning stove, or fuel containers, at all, unless they are brand new. Now, that is an interesting motivation to carry a wood stove, one which I had not considered. Very interesting, but it does make sense.

HJ

Mags
04-12-2012, 00:38
No such thing as the best stove (or any piece of equipment), just what is best for you, your hiking style, the situation, etc.

A wood burner, for example, would be great on the AT but would be pretty useless in alpine environments. :)

My own .05:

http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

dornstar
04-12-2012, 02:23
Another vote for the Jetboil. Love it.

RockDoc
04-12-2012, 20:50
Canister stove with a wind screen means no messing around after a long day. You can cook and eat really fast.

You are asking for problems with an alcohol stove, unless conditions are perfect (they won't be).

SassyWindsor
04-12-2012, 23:18
.......pretty useless in alpine environments.....

My stove weighs in around 8.5 ounces (modified titanium). I've never had trouble finding fuel, even above tree line. I have carried or used wood staffs then burned them a little at a time when hiking in desert terrain, the toughest place to find fuel. I've found that dried animal dung burns really well and works in a pinch. I guess if I had to I could start burning pack straps, etc. I also use a Gerber retractable camp saw @ 3 oz. This allows cutting larges chunks for longer burn times. Sooted pots actually heat faster, I keep them in a stuff sack with my stove, so not a problem. Rain and wet fuel has never been a problem, just use petroleum jelly in cotton for starter. The biggest annoyance with this stove is smoke blowing into my tent when cooking in the vestibule. A single AA battery runs the blower fan, my Petzl Headlight LED's will run well on the practically dead stove battery(s). So I get a lot of service from the AA batteries I carry. If on a trip where batteries might be a problem, I'll opt to carry my Ti-Tri/inferno solid fuel stove which uses no battery, but I prefer the Ti-Zip stove. You need no fire building skills, except learning what will burn. I like to take discarded charcoal found in a public/park grill and use in my stove to grill a steak, burger or chop I just purchased in town. I start the charcoal then turn off the fan and use a homemade (very light) grill top to grill away, have also cooked ears of corn in this fashion. I've been using one so long I've learned a lot of cooking tricks with this stove and it's never let me down yet. I basically had no choice but to ditch my petrol burning stoves after the mid 90's Valuejet crash in the USA was caused by some sort of fuel cannisters, not really sure about this. But this is how I got started using solid fuel stove(s). It's worked out fine.

rocketsocks
04-12-2012, 23:35
I have 5 stoves,1980's coleman featherlite,white gas(that's not that light)a "Sierra" stove that needs a battery to work correctly,and 3 alcohol stoves.Pepsi can(pressure),(cause I like pepsi,not that other brand we don't mention in my house)that I built last summer.And a "Green Chilies"can stove.Of all these I prefer the sierra wood burning stove,It's something about the smell,I always bring a couple pecan,hickory,or mesquite chips...so's peoples knows what's cooking.

Mags
04-13-2012, 00:21
I've never had trouble finding fuel, even above tree line.

I like to take discarded charcoal found in a public/park grill.

I would find that hard to believe in the Rockies (American or Canadian) which is a bit longer than the AT alpine environment. Not many public parks with grills on the CDT vs the AT. :D

Then there is the fireban issue often found out West... :O

I still say there is NO such thing as best gear.

(As an aside, the longer the post, the more it seems like you are trying to convince yourself and not me. ;))

I

:)