PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes and a thru hike

muzz
03-13-2005, 02:24
I am thinking about doing a thru hike in 2006 but have some concerns...I was wondering if there were any other diabetics who have complete the whole AT...

My questions are...

1) Any suggestions for safe storage of the insulin (keeping it at right temp. and so it doesn't get broke)?

2) Any extra suggestions for foot protection?

3) Any suggestions for a light weight sharps container for the syringes?

TIA

ffstenger
03-13-2005, 03:04
Some good questions. First, temperature of your insulin supply should not be a problem until the hot summer months. Even then, keep it deep in your pack and it shouldn't be a big problem. You may want to get a fresh bottle more often in the hot months just to be sure. For sure, good foot wear will be critical. Lots of blisters from ill fitting boots could cause you more problems than other hikers. You may want to start out slower the first few weeks to avoid such foot problems and check your feet often ! I would just keep used insulin syringes in a zip-lock bag and dispose of them in towns along the way. My bigger concern would be glucometer testing on your hike. Diet and activity level are going to be far from normal, and you may have to make some adjustments along the way. You may even need to ask your doctor about a sliding scale based on how your blood sugar level is running. and having enough calories to maintain your optumum level. Also, about your insulin.... those bottles are small and very thick glass I think it would be very hard to break one, especially in your pack.
Good luck with your hike, plan ahead, and go for it !

orangebug
03-13-2005, 09:26
A pretty good sharps container is an empty soda bottle. It is fairly hard to get a used syringe out of it and pretty easy to dispose and replace.

Alligator
03-13-2005, 10:47
I might be a little concerned about a soda bottle, the walls are a little thin. A wide-mouth nalgene would probably work though. Perhaps even a small 0.5l could fit. A little heavier than a soda bottle but more rugged should you fall. As for your insulin bottle, that could fit in a camp cup or in your pot. You will need to be especially careful with your feet, especially your toes. I would suggest getting a great boot fit, being sure that they are well broken in and seriously discussing your trip with a podiatrist. If your boots don't fit well alternative would be consider trail runners. These would offer less protection on the toes, but might alleviate blisters. Best of luck.

orangebug
03-13-2005, 13:59
I hope that if you are giving yourself injections, you allow yourself the courtesy and trash collectors the safety of recapping the needle before putting it into your ad hoc sharps container.

You can stuff close to a dozen capped 3cc syringes in a common 500cc water bottle. Needles go in first, capped, and the plunger has to be "encouraged" through the opening.

This is not practice for those doing injections for others, but is common for those taking self injected medications. It is considered, in some circles, okay to simply cap the syringe and discard it directly in the trash. The old water bottle makes an accident less likely, although nothing can really prevent diversion of the used needle and syringe.

Of course, if you are doing injections for others, follow OSHA protocols with an approved sharps container. I haven't seen one at REI. ;)

smokymtnsteve
03-13-2005, 14:02
bending the needle can certainly help with diversion,,,

also cleaning the needle with a little bleach water and prevent spread of infections.

Local doctors office, medical clinics and hospitals would also offer safe needle disposal.

Mountain Dew
03-13-2005, 16:32
THE DUDE hiked most of the trail in 2003 without major problems and was diabetic. You might try getting in touch with him through trail journals.

muzz
03-14-2005, 01:43
I hope that if you are giving yourself injections, you allow yourself the courtesy and trash collectors the safety of recapping the needle before putting it into your ad hoc sharps container.

You can stuff close to a dozen capped 3cc syringes in a common 500cc water bottle. Needles go in first, capped, and the plunger has to be "encouraged" through the opening.

This is not practice for those doing injections for others, but is common for those taking self injected medications. It is considered, in some circles, okay to simply cap the syringe and discard it directly in the trash. The old water bottle makes an accident less likely, although nothing can really prevent diversion of the used needle and syringe.

Of course, if you are doing injections for others, follow OSHA protocols with an approved sharps container. I haven't seen one at REI. ;)
the injections are for myself...and for safety purposes (and to prevent a iv drug user from using if found) i break the needle in the cap and place it on the syringe..the needle stays inside the cap.

To dispose of the sharps container...I was thinking about taking to the health department when i am able to go into a town and seeing if they could assist me in disposing of them.

muzz
03-14-2005, 01:45
thank you for all the suggestions...and i will try to get a hold of The Dude...

If anyone thinks of anymore please post them.

Needles
03-14-2005, 04:50
the injections are for myself...and for safety purposes (and to prevent a iv drug user from using if found) i break the needle in the cap and place it on the syringe..the needle stays inside the cap.

I break the needle off and place it in the barrel of the syringe and then replace the plunger before putting the caps back on both ends of the syringe. A cap can come off pretty easily but the plunger probably won't come all the way out.
I will also agree that a soda bottle makes an excellent sharps container, but while I agree that going to a health department or some other medical facility is probably the absolute best way to dispose of your used syringes I don't know how often you will find an appropriate medical facility along the trail.

rocket04
03-14-2005, 11:09
I think it was Trail Dog (not to be confused with Trail Dawg) who hiked some of the trail in '04 (don't know if he finished) and was diabetic. I remember him saying that at one point he wasn't feeling really 100%, and his hiking partner told him he should actually eat some sugar. So he started eating some snickers bars and sure enough he felt much better. Apparently, the effort required of the hiking allowed him to have a greater sugar intake than normal without problems to his health. But anyway, the point is, he was diabetic and seemed to be hiking along quite well.

peter_pan
03-14-2005, 13:29
Last year at Trail Days the Backpacker home made gear contest was won by a guy with an insulin storage that was an aluminum tube that one inserted into a 1 qt nalgene filled with cold spring water, It had threads to seal the nalgene and to seal itself and it also had the insulated cover ( OR I beleve) . All at the contest agreed it should win because it opened the outdoors further to diabetics.

Don't recall his name but I'm sure the editors at Backpacker mag know it.

Hope this helps.

muzz
03-15-2005, 02:45
thank you everyone for the suggestions...My doc had stated that by taking the thru hike...it is possible that by the end insulin wouldn't be needed...between the possible weight loss and the amount of exercise...that i might actual be able to enjoy a pepsi again...can't wait!

orangebug
03-15-2005, 09:07
Don't be suckered into a second bout of diabetes. Even if you are fortunate enough to gain enough sensitive insulin receptors on toned muscle and lose most of your body fat, you will be in danger of losing all of you hard won health on your return from your hike. You might even wish to consider the low calorie diets that some profess to enhance longevity.

But avoid them Pepsi's.