PDA

View Full Version : Need windbreaker/shirt suggestions

thepokerkid227
01-06-2012, 13:31
I am looking for a well performing, lightweight, cost friendly wind jacket that's similar to the marmot trail wind. Unfortunately I can't find a trail wind in large anywhere online I found XL but think it will be too big, help me with suggestions please

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 13:39
Why don't you use a rain shell as the wind layer, as well? So you have less to carry?

Chummin' for Bear
01-06-2012, 13:47
Consider a Montbell UL Wind Jacket (2.6 oz in Medium and probably no more than 3 oz in large)

pyroman53
01-06-2012, 15:06
I agree with RW - use your rain shell...or at least I used to say this. Then I got a Golite Ether windshell (5oz.).

People were always saying how versatile windshirts are and I didn't believe them until I got one. Now I agree and the windshirt always seems to find its way in my pack.

It helps that I switched my rain layer to a poncho, and using a poncho as a windbreak layer would suck. If I still carried my Precip jacket, I'd do as RW says.

All I can say is if that windshirt is in my pack, (other than summer weather), it gets used quite a bit. Nice piece of gear.

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 17:45
I use a Sierra Designs Hurricane jacket, which can be found on Steep & Cheep (if you're lucky) for ~ $40 (it's where I got mine), or you can purchase some "old season" colors for < $50 or so.

It cuts wind very well for me, and keeps me way dryer than something designated as a wind shell would do on its own. So that's my preferred route.

However, if you'd rather have two separate jackets, then pyroman's post is very very excellent.

thepokerkid227
01-06-2012, 22:22
Nevermind after a few more hours looking I finally found a place online to get the Marmot Trail Wind in the size and color I wanted for cheap, but thanks for all the info everyone!

Del Q
01-06-2012, 22:29
Definite YES on "wind shirts", 100% of the time this is an in-my-pack, great layer to have. Suprisingly warm, lightweight, versatile, super gear ......... I have a Go Lite.

skinewmexico
01-07-2012, 01:53
GoLite has a windshirt on closeout.

STICK
01-07-2012, 12:03
My TNF Verto (http://sticksblog.com/clothing/jackets/the-north-face-verto-wind-jacket/) weighs in at 2.9 oz in a size L. And it is roomy enough to layer even over my MB UL Down Inner.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 17:52
Nevermind after a few more hours looking I finally found a place online to get the Marmot Trail Wind in the size and color I wanted for cheap, but thanks for all the info everyone!

Hey! You wouldn't mind sharing the link, would you? :)

The Cleaner
01-07-2012, 17:58
Mountian Hardware Ghost Anorak..about 6oz's...try to find on sale..

ljcsov
01-08-2012, 00:33
http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=38933&&categoryId=27595&categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT-HARD-SHELL&pCategoryId=28475&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=27595~~categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT-HARD-SHELL~~pCategoryId=28475~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y&pg=1 (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=38933&&categoryId=27595&categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT-HARD-SHELL&pCategoryId=28475&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=%7E%7EcategoryId=27595%7E%7EcategoryName=M ENS-FIRST-ASCENT-HARD-SHELL%7E%7EpCategoryId=28475%7E%7EpCategoryName=FI RST-ASCENT%7E%7EgpCategoryId=1%7E%7EgpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y&pg=1)

This is the new EB 5.33oz wind shell. I saw them in the store the other day and they look pretty sweet. I'm hoping maybe I can nap one when I come across a sale that actually includes FA or I find a coupon.

For now I just use my TNF Venture on day hikes where it gets windy. The pit zips are nice to keep ventilated.

thepokerkid227
01-09-2012, 07:30
Hey! You wouldn't mind sharing the link, would you? :)Buckmans.com but looks like they're all sold out now

ljcsov
01-14-2012, 22:07
So, I've been reading this thread and have put some thought into getting a wind shell. I am taking you guys carry this in addition to your rain jacket? What benefits does it have over solely carrying a rain jacket to use for wind? They seem to pack really small and weigh very little so I figured the extra weight wouldn't be an issue. I was curious about the different roles it can play. I suppose the insulation value is similar to the rain jacket, but you don't have the bulk on you. Also, in the summer when its hot it probably will be more breathable. Any other advantages?

LDog
01-14-2012, 23:44
Some are less waterproof and more breathable than a goretex or event shell. Layer with a base layer and fleece, and it might be all you ever need while hiking.

Smooth & Wasabi
01-15-2012, 10:48
The right ones are much more breathable than a rain jacket. It is the only layer besides a t-shirt that I use hiking in 3+ seasons and is my sole hiking and rest stop layer in summer. With my pysiology I find WP/B jackets stifling in all but the coldest temps and most sedentary activities.

ljcsov
01-15-2012, 13:07
I am debating on either the Eddie Bauer linked above or the Marmot Trail Wind.

It looks like Sunny Sports only has the hood-less trailwind - http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=BrandItemDisplay&BrandName=Marmot&ProductID=MRMTWJM&Sort=Relevance&DescSort=0&Page=1&CategoryID=2191

LDog
01-15-2012, 17:44
I got both a Patagonia Houdini and a Pearl Izumi Barrier Pro lite, and am in the process of evaluating them. I'm writing about it here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79469-Windshirts

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79469-Windshirts)

Kerosene
01-16-2012, 12:50
Check out the Montbell Tachyon Anorak (http://montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=61&p_id=2303218) (2.3 oz in men's medium, $85 list, 7.5" zipper, hooded). I've owned their UL Windpants for years and really like them.

pyroman53
01-16-2012, 18:59
So, I've been reading this thread and have put some thought into getting a wind shell. I am taking you guys carry this in addition to your rain jacket? What benefits does it have over solely carrying a rain jacket to use for wind? They seem to pack really small and weigh very little so I figured the extra weight wouldn't be an issue. I was curious about the different roles it can play. I suppose the insulation value is similar to the rain jacket, but you don't have the bulk on you. Also, in the summer when its hot it probably will be more breathable. Any other advantages?

I'm told they're pretty good in snow. Repells moisture just enough to work well in snow, but I haven't used mine in snow yet (living in Phoenix!!). I use it as wind break over insulating layer whenever it makes sense. Its got a hood so that helps as well. Use it just over base layer when hiking in cold wind. Use it on cool and or windy days during breaks to keep sweat from making me too cold. Use it under poncho on cold windy days to cut wind and keep "side splash" from getting me wet. Use it over base breaking camp and getting started hiking on cold 3 season mornings. I can take it off and stow it in my pants pocket or belt pocket without stopping to take off pack. Small size means it just stuffs away until the first break or when I hit exposed ridges where wind is a factor. On light rain and drizzle evenings around camp I can use it for a quick bathroom trip while my poncho is serving as ground sheet (I tarp).

As mentioned before, if I were carrying a rainjacket (vs. my poncho) I probably wouldn't carry the windshirt (but would miss having it just the same).I'm not ultralight but I'm fairly light so I don't bring anything without a good reason.

Papa D
01-16-2012, 22:35
I just spent 3 days on the AT in this - snowy and windy conditions - have also used in freezing rain - packs up really well and performs - it's a top of the line item for sure:

www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Alpha-SL-Jacket

Tinker
01-17-2012, 00:00

It won't get you sweaty under exertion. A Goretex or eVent jacket will, sometimes even with the pit zips and front zipper wide open (no pit zips on my REI Shuksan jacket - a mistake, imo).

It can be combined with different under layers in various temperatures where it is windy enough to take heat away from your body faster than it can produce -

in other words, with a very light base layer shirt it can function like a Marmot Driclime, but with a heavier layer (like fleece), it can perform like an expensive shelled, insulated jacket, with the benefit of drying more quickly and not losing any loft even if soaked, plus, you can separate the wind shirt from the fleece for drying over a bush, and they will dry more quickly than a shelled garment because the wind can blow right through them.

The penalty is a little more weight.

The reward is more versatility - with a Patagonia shelled Primaloft jacket, for instance, you can only use the shell with the insulation.