PDA

View Full Version : how heavy is too heavy?

squirrely
01-06-2012, 13:52
How much does the typical backpacking tent weigh? I assume ultralight tents would weigh a lot less, but I'm just talking about regular old 1 or 2 person tents.

solobip
01-06-2012, 15:37
2 - 3 for a one man and about 5.5 lbs for a typical two person, but after you carry one long enough you realize just how heavy the typical tent is. There are for sure heavier bombproof shelters, but the average priced, big box store tents weigh too much for the long haul. Anything under 3 lbs for a 2person would be a fair target. And there are plenty a lot less.

JAK
01-06-2012, 16:23
I have a small dome that is nice for the backyard and car-camping. I have used it hiking, before I knew better. I would still use it hiking if it meant getting my daughter to hike one more time with me. Weighs 8 pounds maybe. lol

We did a hike a few year ago with her 2 pound childs tent. I'm 6' and it was about 5'10". My daughter slept great. lol

Don't be afraid to use what you have if it gets you out there. If looking, try to keep it under 3 pounds and $100.

TOMP
01-06-2012, 16:32
I own 2 solo tents.

Eureka Spitfire 1- 40 oz
MSR Skinny One- 52.8 oz

I dont know the average or if these 2 are average but it gives you a good jumping off point.

TOMP
01-06-2012, 16:38
Also I think under 3 lbs for a 2 man tent is kinda aggresive most are 4 lbs and up. If you go tarptent its real easy though.

RodentWhisperer
01-06-2012, 16:52
A "regular old tent" can still be quite lightweight (assuming you mean a traditional, double-walled backpacking tent). There are a number of solo tents available from prominent manufacturers that weigh less than 3 pounds; likewise, you can find some two-person tents that weigh less than 4 pounds. It all comes down to how much you're willing to pay (of course), how much comfort you want/need, and how much you're willing/able to carry. If you've not done so yet, you might want to check out Backpacker magazine's 2011 Gear Guide-- the 2012 edition will be ou in a few months, too.

Captain_Slo
01-06-2012, 17:53
kelty grand mesa 2 is a great 2man tent. my scouts use it all the time and love it. it's ~4lbs and affordable. They've also got a few of the texsport saguaros which are also 4lbs, but not free standing like the grand mesa and isn't as well made--but it's about 30% of the cost of the kelty.

leaftye
01-06-2012, 17:55
2 pounds is as heavy as I want to go. 1 pound is much better, especially if part of that weight is used for other purposes.

scope
01-06-2012, 18:03
Don't sue me for bringing up the hammock, but I went through a similar process of trying to buy a tent... too many compromises for the solo tents, too much weight for the 2m tents. I was very resistant to a hammock at first. Only real issue is expense of replacing some gear you might already have to better fit the hammock style.

If I didn't hammock, I'd get a Lightheart tent and a downmat.

bigcranky
01-06-2012, 21:31
Our first "backpacking" 2-person tent was closer to 8 pounds - we thought a 5 pound tent was a revelation! Along with the 5 pound pack (anybody else have a Gregory Reality?)

Now we are using the finest 2-person backpacking tent I've ever tried, (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarDuo.html)and it weighs 40 ounces. It has more room, better ventilation, and better weather protection than that old 8 pound monster, and it's so much better on my back and knees.

Papa D
01-06-2012, 21:40
My primary tent is a MSR Carbon Reflex 1 which is pretty much a non-free standing Hubba with a single carbon pole -- I've pushed it into full winter conditions to about 8" of snow and ice. I also have a single wall Hilleberg Tent (which is the best tent made, period) but not so light: so, unless I'm on a true winter expidition, the MSR CR gets the call. It's about 2 pounds 5 ounces all packed up -- you can probably get lighter but I don't know if you can get better -- I know --that I'll sleep dry and comfortable.

squirrely
01-07-2012, 23:39
Thanks so much for the info guys! Anyone have any experience with Colemen tents? I found this one in my price range (college is EXPENSIVE! I need to marry rich.) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Max-6.6-x-4.6-Backpacking-Tent/13848689?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews and it seems pretty decent. any opinions?

or possibly this one too but it looks kind of cheaply made so probably not a good choice: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-Trails-6-x-5-Tent/15111446?ci_sku=15111446&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260410#Product+Reviews

I kind of love Wal-Mart by the way

I really do appreciate the advice here guys

(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-Trails-6-x-5-Tent/15111446?ci_sku=15111446&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260410#Product+Reviews)

Papa D
01-07-2012, 23:46
Thanks so much for the info guys! Anyone have any experience with Colemen tents? I found this one in my price range (college is EXPENSIVE! I need to marry rich.) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Max-6.6-x-4.6-Backpacking-Tent/13848689?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews and it seems pretty decent. any opinions?

or possibly this one too but it looks kind of cheaply made so probably not a good choice: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-Trails-6-x-5-Tent/15111446?ci_sku=15111446&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260410#Product+Reviews
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-Trails-6-x-5-Tent/15111446?ci_sku=15111446&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260410#Product+Reviews)

I kind of love Wal-Mart by the way

I really do appreciate the advice here guys

sorry but I think wal-mart sucks - they sell mass produced crap made by under-paid people. Why don't you get a little creative and purchase a high quality shelter used - PM me, I'll sell you a 2 person mountain hardware tent cheap - much better than wal-mart - it's probably about 4 lbs packet but it's a good product OR you could make your own - check out Ray Gardine's website. You are totally selling-out by just going to Wal mart

Summit
01-07-2012, 23:58
Here's a similar but better tent in my opinion:

http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent
(http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent)
Wait until REI has a membership sale and you can get a 20% discount on it, making it $80. It's 1/2 lb lighter at 5 lbs than your Coleman and of much better quality. I have it and a $350 Sierra Designs tent and the REI Camp Dome is my preferred tent. Customer ratings on the REI page are very good overall.

leaftye
01-07-2012, 23:58
I bet that Mountain Hardware tent is made in China too, probably be the very same people in the very same factory that makes the Coleman tents.

Summit
01-08-2012, 00:02
The $25 Mountain Trails tent is a piece of crap. That's what you buy a 7 year old to play in the back yard in. It will not keep you dry in harsh mountain weather.

shelb
01-08-2012, 00:24
I have hiked with a partner using a Sierra Designs tent that weighed about 5# (so we split it between us). This summer, I want to go on a solo hike. I am looking at the Tarptent sublite at 19.5 ounce with a pack weight of 14"x4" for $179. The Tarptent website says it includes the stakes, so I gather that weight is figured in.

This would be for section hiking 50-200 miles at a time between June-August (although I might get out for a spring break hike someday.)

Please advise?

Papa D
01-08-2012, 00:36
I bet that Mountain Hardware tent is made in China too, probably be the very same people in the very same factory that makes the Coleman tents.

you might be right - it's 10 years old though - maybe not - I can tell you that my Hilleberg tent is made in their own factory in Estonia - it's an ATKO - amazing tent - I work really hard not po buy chinese made anything - I wear made in USA clothes and don't shop at big box stores -- it's tricky sometimes - the cheap man spends the most

leaftye
01-08-2012, 01:12
Yeah, it's really hard to buy things that are not made in China, and especially to buy things that are made here. Try buying motorcycle leathers? Almost everything is made overseas, and most of that is made in one country because of their lax regulations about tanning. Aside from a few special items, it's hard to get clothing made here. Usually it's only small companies that make things here, and part of the reason is that it isn't easy for a small company to learn how to outsource well. Even so, starting and ending with a small company is a pretty good way to go.

RodentWhisperer
01-08-2012, 01:23
@shelb, while the TT Sublite is very well made (in the USA, to continue a bit more of this thread), the last I knew it was made of Tyvek. Tyvek isn't totally waterproof, as its fibers are thicker than nylon. TT did have a silnylon version before, but they may have stopped production. You might want to send Henry Shires a quick email asking about it. Of course, if you're rolling in $$$, :) you can look into Z-Packs' cuben fiber selections. They'll setcha back about $400, but they weigh less than 9 oz.!

Franco
01-08-2012, 01:56
Hi
The Rodent Whisperer is correct.
The Sublite (Tyvek) is made for hot dry areas where the white fabric gives good sun protection and you have a fully enclosed (bug proof) shelter for little money and weight.
Works also very well where rain is light but condensation is a problem, because it breaths very well (it is made from clothing type Tyvek)
The most direct substitute for the Sublite Sil is the Notch, however because it is a two wall shelter it is also more expensive.
You could look at the Contrail.
With a bit of practice and maybe with the help of a video clip or two ( google 'Franco Contrail") you can get a nice taut set up...
Franco
[email protected]

Bronk
01-08-2012, 06:23
How much does the typical backpacking tent weigh? I assume ultralight tents would weigh a lot less, but I'm just talking about regular old 1 or 2 person tents.

I was at Cabelas and saw a tent labeled "Ultralight Backpacking Tent" and it weighed over 6 pounds. Point being that labels really don't mean anything. 6 pounds is pushing the upper limit of sanity for a backpacking tent...and at that weight it should accomodate 2 people.

If you are shopping for a tent on the internet and the website does not list the exact weight of the tent you are looking at then you are on the wrong website...they obviously don't know what they're doing. Any serious outfitter lists the weight of their tents. Look at 3 or 4 dozen tents and compare the sizes and weights...you'll get an idea and figure out what you need, and you'll also figure out that many different brands sell essentially the same tent design.

earlyriser26
01-08-2012, 11:32
I carry a regular 2 person tent just for me (SD clip flashlite). Anything smaller i find is too cramped and you can't spread out your equipment. you can find something in the 3.5 - 4.5 lb range. Note that a "two person" varies in size from what I would describe as a small one person tent to roomy for two. After you spend 16 hours in a rainstorm in a one person tent you will convert to a larger one.

shelb
01-08-2012, 11:39
Hi

You could look at the Contrail.

Thank you. I also like the idea that the Contrail could fit both my husband and I (albeit snuggly), if he joins me for a couple of days.

squirrely
01-08-2012, 22:35
Thanks guys, I really do truly appreciate all the help and advice. I'm starting a new job on Tuesday so I'm definitely going to start some serious saving and buy something better than I'd find at Wal-Mart.

Thanks a ton!

chief
01-09-2012, 15:23
Our first "backpacking" 2-person tent was closer to 8 pounds - we thought a 5 pound tent was a revelation! Along with the 5 pound pack (anybody else have a Gregory Reality?)
Dude, you haven't lived until you've carried a Gregory Wind River - 7lb 13oz. Believe me, everything fits inside. Wanna trade?

bamboo bob
01-09-2012, 15:29
There are so many good tents at every weight. I would go to a good outfitter like REI or EMS and see the various kinds and get in them.

bigcranky
01-09-2012, 21:04
Dude, you haven't lived until you've carried a Gregory Wind River - 7lb 13oz. Believe me, everything fits inside. Wanna trade?

Yeah, I'm with you. My first internal frame pack was a Gregory Shasta, and I still have it. Almost 7 pounds, and yeah, it carries everything and then some. The 5 pound pack seemed like a big deal. Then the 4 pound Gregory Chaos X. Which held less than my current 2+ pound Circuit, if I recall correctly.