PDA

View Full Version : Gear that makes TSA grumpy? (Aka "what gear to check?")

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 18:30
I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to pack my things when I fly. Since I have to go to a wedding before I can begin my thru-hike, I'll be packing a gym bag with clothes for a few days. In that gym bag, I'll also be packing things that I won't be able to check in on the flight - which I assume would be the following:

Pocket knife, trekking poles (TSA states that ski poles need to be checked, so I'm assuming the same holds true for the trekking poles)... and... I can't think of anything else. Maybe tent stakes? Titanium spork?

I plan to get fuel for my stove after I get to Georgia, and the same goes for stuff like DEET, BodyGlide, etc.

Is there anything else I'm overlooking that should be tossed in the checked luggage as well? Everything else will be going in my pack and be taken as a carry-on, because... I sure as heck don't want to risk it getting lost or whatever.

I need to fly out West for the wedding, then fly from there down South to begin the thru-hike. So whatever I pack, it essentially needs to be checked twice. Bummer, I know....

Or would it be simpler to just pack a small box with those items, mail them down to my friend that's going to be driving me to Amicalola, and then just stick with loading everything in my backpack and skip a checked bag altogether? Since checked bags are actually an additional fee now, this might be cheaper/easier, but because of the trekking poles, might require an odd-shaped box to actually mail out.

Suggestions from WB? :D

royalusa
01-06-2012, 18:44
We checked our pocket knife, sewing needle, trekking poles and tent stakes. We also had our first segment of food with us so that we did not have to shop after a long travel day and learned that peanut butter is a controlled substance...it's considered a gel and therefore limited to the 3 ounces (or whatever that limit is). So we ended up having to grocery shop after all to replace our confiscated peanut butter. We also learned after the fact that our water treatment chemical Clorox is banned for both carry on as well as checked luggage.

If you could mail these items, it'd probably be easier for you given your flight schedules.

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 18:52
Ah, the Aquamira! Forgot about that. That'd probably be something I'd want to mail as well, just in case.

I'll just look into mailing everything. It does seem like it'll be easier.

Thanks for the input!

EJC
01-06-2012, 19:22
Hey, I just flew my gear out to hike the grand canyon so I've recently looked in to this stuff.

Check: All liquids, it's just easier, and if you're checking stuff anyways it shouldn't be a hassle, matches, tent poles, stakes, anything sharp and pointy (needles, knives, multitools, etc), trekking poles, opened food.

Tent poles and stakes are not on the "official" list, so this leaves it up to individual TSA agents. Some may allow it, some may not. Better
safe than sorry!

Carry on: All lighters (you aren't allowed to check those), and your pack with everything you need already in it, if possible.

Can't take at all: Fuel, also, be careful of your pots/stove. If the dogs can smell odor of flammable liquid still on these they may open your bag just to search.

Tips I got about checking your pack (if you do): Put it in another suitcase/ duffel- apparently some baggage handlers will be rough with it and snap stays on occasion. Also, if TSA roots through it they often cannot repack it correctly so some stuff may go missing. If you have it in another bag at least you'll get your stuff back. Even a cheap-o duffle is better than sending the pack on its way alone.

Not sure if Southwest goes to the airports you need, but 2 checked bags fly free with them :)

TOMP
01-06-2012, 19:48
I was able to fly to canada with collaspable trekking poles as my (just the poles in no bag) carry-on. So it is possible but maybe frowned upon (I got a few odd looks). Personaly I'd worry about them breaking in a checked bag. Also if your stove has been used before you arent allowed to bring it or at least that is the official stance, I have heard a bunch of stories of people losing their stove that way and also a few who claim to have gotten away with it. Might be a good excuse to by a new stove though.

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 19:53
I'm using a pennystove, so if I lose one, I'll just have to make another. How long would the ethanol fumes remain for? I test-fired it and cooked myself a meal with it in the house, but that's it...

Sarcasm the elf
01-06-2012, 19:59
Personally I would mail stuff ahead if I had someone who would hold it for me. I used my first mail drop on a section hike last spring and it was surprisingly convenient. As an added bonus, if you is a big enough box you can mail back anything you brought for the wedding but don't need on the trail.

EJC
01-06-2012, 20:06
I'm using a pennystove, so if I lose one, I'll just have to make another. How long would the ethanol fumes remain for? I test-fired it and cooked myself a meal with it in the house, but that's it...

I use the kitty can stove, so was in the same position. I used it a lot previously and just scrubbed it down with soap and water and it made it through both ways just fine.

Spokes
01-06-2012, 20:06
Go to the source, check out the TSA prohibited items page:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 20:13
I use the kitty can stove, so was in the same position. I used it a lot previously and just scrubbed it down with soap and water and it made it through both ways just fine.

If I had an open stove, I'd do the same... I'm just nervous washing it because it's all closed and... I dunno about having water stay inside of it or whatever. Maybe I can rinse it out and let it sit, let it all evaporate and such before I leave. Better than nothing, I guess?

Go to the source, check out the TSA prohibited items page:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I did, which is why I knew about ski poles being prohibited and extrapolating to trekking poles. I just wanted first hand accounts.

handlebar
01-06-2012, 20:58
I'm using a pennystove, so if I lose one, I'll just have to make another. How long would the ethanol fumes remain for? I test-fired it and cooked myself a meal with it in the house, but that's it... I've checked an alcohol stove, the Featherfire, and the empty bottle I use for fuel on 4 occasions. I rinse out both with water for a relatively long time. Can't see any reason not to check it. I do know that one of the issues with "used" stoves of the white gas variety is that fuel vapors remain in the fuel line of the stove. Of course, those could be explosive.

Don H
01-06-2012, 22:08
I took everything I needed except fuel in my luggage, all checked baggage, no carry on. My shuttler, Survivor Dave, provided alcohol fuel when he picked me up.

TOMP
01-06-2012, 22:21
Yeah I dont think a homemade alcohol stove would be a problem. They might not even reconize it as a stove. Id just make sure to remove anything that would prompt a search since you dont want TSA going through all your stuff and possibly losing or breaking anything.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2012, 00:45
Do yourself a big favor and just ship the pack to the Hiker Hostel or the Lodge at the state park by UPS. You don't have to worry about your pack being lost or find anything missing from it. It will make your trip much easier and worry free.

Spokes
01-07-2012, 07:39
I did, which is why I knew about ski poles being prohibited and extrapolating to trekking poles. I just wanted first hand accounts.

The problem with the TSA is the actual screeners interpret the "rules" differently across the country (its a being human thing). That's why you'll get stories from others saying for example they got their ski poles through in Atlanta then got them confiscated in San Diego. It's a crap shoot.

Cheers.

chiefiepoo
01-07-2012, 09:08
Do yourself a big favor and just ship the pack to the Hiker Hostel or the Lodge at the state park by UPS. You don't have to worry about your pack being lost or find anything missing from it. It will make your trip much easier and worry free.

Best solution, even if it costs more $$. I always found a TSA calling card in my Airporter bag when checking it. Often found loose gear where TSA fumble fingered a snap or zipper. I ship via FedEx whenevr I can. The marginal cost of FedEx over the airline bag fee buys off on a lot of the lost or delayed bag worries.

quilteresq
01-07-2012, 09:25
Needles are allowed on planes. I've frequently hand stitched quilt blocks on long trips. Scissors, if they have rounded ends, are also allowed. I also have a cool thread cutter that is basically a circular razor blade covered with a metal cover that's gotten through TSA before hung around my neck. It looks like a necklace.

RWheeler
01-07-2012, 09:35
I dunno if I can pass my trekking poles off as a necklace... but maybe I can!

tuswm
01-07-2012, 13:23
I have had lots of trouble with my black bear can. I have a clear one that doesn't give me any problems. I think it is because they don't know how to open it and they can not see inside it. The only time that the black one didn't mysteriously get delayed I labeled it with blue painters tape and velcrowed a washer with instructions on how to open right by the locking mechanism. Then decided to mail it. I have never tried to carry it on. My black bear can has never been checked and made my flight.

​I have never had a problem carrying on my tent poles.

STICK
01-07-2012, 13:51
So, are their any rules about mailing these items? Every time I go to the PO to mail a box they ask me if there are any flammables, liquids, perishables or chemicals or what not's in the package. Are the rules the same for USPS vs UPS or FedEx?

I am planning on flying to Washington later this year to hike the WT and am planning on mailing anything that may not make it past or be questioned by TSA. Basically, liquids, sharps and food...and of course my new GG LT4 poles! The rest I plan on simply carrying on right inside my pack. Basically, clothes, sleeping bag, tent, etc...

But it seems like mailing these items is the way to go. I can mail them about 2 weeks early so that they have plenty of time to make it to their destination as well, I can also confirm that the package made it their undisturbed. This way I would know for sure that everything is there and safe, and waiting on me!

I know that Delta airlines will allow 1 carry one and 1 personal item per person, as well, the first checked bag is free.

Spokes
01-07-2012, 15:19
Stick, this link may help you regarding the postal service rules:

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q601.htm

There's an included link to Publication 52 but it's really boring reading.

STICK
01-07-2012, 15:44
Thanks Spokes. So, I wonder, do they run mail packages through xray or chemical detection devices too?

Tinker
01-07-2012, 15:52
Maybe ship Microspikes, whips, chains, etc. ahead, too. ;) :)

"I'm sorry, you'll have to remove those piercings." (Next step).

Spokes
01-07-2012, 15:56
Thanks Spokes. So, I wonder, do they run mail packages through xray or chemical detection devices too?

The USPS? Prolly spot checks. I wouldn't be surprised if they run a drug dog through the line every now and then too.

Spokes
01-07-2012, 16:00
Maybe ship Microspikes, whips, chains, etc. ahead, too. ;) :)

"I'm sorry, you'll have to remove those piercings." (Next step).

Too funny. Several years ago I was at a concert that was having security staff wand people at the door. A very obese girl in front of me was delayed entry because the wand kept going off as it passed by her stomach area. After a half dozen passes of the beeping wand she raised her shirt, then lifted the folds of her stomach up and announced "It must be my belly button ring."

I'm still haunted by the visual of that to this day!

Tinker
01-07-2012, 16:06
Too funny. Several years ago I was at a concert that was having security staff wand people at the door. A very obese girl in front of me was delayed entry because the wand kept going off as it passed by her stomach area. After a half dozen passes of the beeping wand she raised her shirt, then lifted the folds of her stomach up and announced "It must be my belly button ring."

:eek::eek::eek: and :eek:!

RWheeler
01-07-2012, 16:20

Does it make me a bad person if I pictured a door knocker?

Tinker
01-07-2012, 16:38
Does it make me a bad person if I pictured a door knocker?

No. I might be in troube, though, because I pictured a large ship's anchor! :eek::o

BlackCloud
01-11-2012, 01:20
Doesn't matter what you do. TSA people see the same stuff all day long. SO when they see an ice ax, crampons, tent poles, snowshoes, etc, they toss my bag, every single time.

BlackCloud
01-11-2012, 01:52
The USPS? Prolly spot checks. I wouldn't be surprised if they run a drug dog through the line every now and then too.

Dogs smell for drugs, not fuel.

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 08:26
Dogs smell for drugs, not fuel.

They're trained to smell for a lot of things. Since fuels can be used as an accelerant in an IED, it's very much something that any courier could be concerned about. It's not like also having a dog respond to alcohols and similar fuels would be difficult.

bigcranky
01-11-2012, 08:41
You can ship some fuels through the post office, but it's something of a PITA and costs more. Better to buy your fuel when you get there, IMHO.

Northern Lights
01-11-2012, 09:06
The problem with the TSA is the actual screeners interpret the "rules" differently across the country (its a being human thing). That's why you'll get stories from others saying for example they got their ski poles through in Atlanta then got them confiscated in San Diego. It's a crap shoot.

Cheers.

This is true, I travelled from Canada to Atlanta and before checking my bag I asked the agents if I could carry on my poles. In Canada they said they would let me take them on, but they didn't think once I crossed the border that they would allow them. It's definately a crap shoot.

slims
02-15-2012, 23:53
Any items prohibited on the buses? I'll be flying to the states and travelling via Greyhound to Georgia. Was wondering about my little Swiss Army Knife and if I should buy things like fuel canisters, lighters and matches before I depart on the bus or if I should wait till I'm in GA to get those things.

bigcranky
02-16-2012, 08:52
Knife should not be a problem on the bus unless you stand up and start waving it around while shouting incoherently.

Same with the other stuff, but it might just be easier to buy it in Georgia, depending on where you are starting.

RWheeler
02-16-2012, 08:54
Any items prohibited on the buses? I'll be flying to the states and travelling via Greyhound to Georgia. Was wondering about my little Swiss Army Knife and if I should buy things like fuel canisters, lighters and matches before I depart on the bus or if I should wait till I'm in GA to get those things.

The pocket knife shouldn't be an issue, the regulation is listed as "weapons". Keep it in your pocket and you shouldn't really run into an issue. Fuel canisters would be prohibited. Lighters are fine. Matches are prohibited only if they're strike-anywhere. You may want to call the Greyhound terminal specifically (not the 800 number), as they're probably very familiar with transporting hikers. My answers are based on having my father work as a driver for pretty much my whole life, so I'm familiar with those regulations very well.

swjohnsey
02-16-2012, 09:09
So, are their any rules about mailing these items? Every time I go to the PO to mail a box they ask me if there are any flammables, liquids, perishables or chemicals or what not's in the package. Are the rules the same for USPS vs UPS or FedEx?

I am planning on flying to Washington later this year to hike the WT and am planning on mailing anything that may not make it past or be questioned by TSA. Basically, liquids, sharps and food...and of course my new GG LT4 poles! The rest I plan on simply carrying on right inside my pack. Basically, clothes, sleeping bag, tent, etc...

But it seems like mailing these items is the way to go. I can mail them about 2 weeks early so that they have plenty of time to make it to their destination as well, I can also confirm that the package made it their undisturbed. This way I would know for sure that everything is there and safe, and waiting on me!

I know that Delta airlines will allow 1 carry one and 1 personal item per person, as well, the first checked bag is free.

The USPS clerk can ask but cannot check anything mailed first class like priority mail.

q-tip
02-16-2012, 09:53
I went to UPS, got a box and took my pack to the airport. I put everything in the box except fuel. Made a stop to get a fuel bottle and off to the trailhead. Pretty easy.

Another Kevin
02-20-2012, 08:30
It really is a crapshoot. I had a Nalgene bottle confiscated once because it had more than a three ounce capacity. When I pointed out that it was obviously empty, the screener said, "well, you could just refill it inside the terminal." (From what, the hot and cold running liquid explosive faucet?)

q-tip
02-20-2012, 18:02
I went to the UPS store, got a box, left out the fuel and checked it in at the airport. Arrived, got the box, stopped to get fuel and started walking.

Singletrack
02-20-2012, 18:19
I sent my pack and gear via UPS to the Hostel in Millinocket. You could do the same by sending it to the Hostel in Dahlonega.

yappy
02-21-2012, 21:49
I have always just che led loaded pack but leavg Fairbanks w overnight stop in Seattle then on to Atlanta the next day so will check twice .I may just carry on a few things kind of a drag but better Safe then sorry

cabbagehead
02-23-2012, 00:31
I met Samurai on the trail. Of course he brought a katana.

keithclove
02-23-2012, 10:15
I always carry a small Victorinox to the airport - one with no knife blade - just to watch them try to figure out what to do with it.

swjohnsey
02-23-2012, 11:20
Ain't hard to befuddle the TSA folks. I have a card that has "See other side" on both sides.

Prime Time
03-03-2013, 22:54
You can ship almost anything including iso propane canisters USPS as long as you ship it Parcel Post. It takes 4-7 days and costs a lot less than any other shipping method, as well. I have found that it usually takes closer to 4 days than 7. The difference is that it goes by truck, no plane involved.