PDA

View Full Version : eVent trail runners for thru, yay or nay?

rowan
01-06-2012, 19:48
So I have decided to forgo traditional boots based on what I've read here and on other forums. When GTX gets wet, it stays wet, etc.

So I've been looking into other options - specifically trail runners. I was in Marshall's today and found a sweet looking pair of Tevas called the SEAR. They have spider rubber soles, which really appeals to me due to the stickiness. When I looked closer, I saw that the shoe was lined with eVent. I'm wondering if this would present the same problem as a GTX boot, or if the smaller profile of the shoe and thin eVent membrane would dry decently well. They were on sale for 50, and fit very comfortably. Any thoughts? This is the shoe:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-teva-sear-event-dark-shadow-p_id192235?source=igodigital&

T (http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-teva-sear-event-dark-shadow-p_id192235?source=igodigital&)hanks

Del Q
01-06-2012, 20:08
They look OK, my experience is that the AT really beats up footwear, I mean shreads them!

With low tops not sure I personally agree with the no waterproof mode, wet grass, mud, creeks, etc, etc...........I like to keep my socks as dry as possible.

Have several pairs ready to go for a thru hike...........

bigcranky
01-06-2012, 21:28
Waterproof/breathable shoes are fine if you are starting in cold weather - I wear mine in the winter often, usually with w/b gaiters if the snow or mud are deep enough. You'll most likely need a new pair of shoes halfway through, and you can switch to mesh trail runners then if you like.

Kerosene
01-06-2012, 22:18
While I find my e-Vent rain parka to be much more breathable than 1st and 2nd generation Gore-tex (I haven't tried the latest generation). As waterproof linings are intended to keep water out, my guess is that you will find that an e-Vent lined boot will take a lot longer to dry out. I'd only use waterproof shoes for day/weekend hikes.

rowan
01-06-2012, 23:06
thanks for the responses. I'd like a few more if possible. many opinions form consensus :banana

Kerosene
01-07-2012, 00:25
I've found that many opinions form many opinions. Hopefully someone with real data based on experience will respond. Good luck!

rowan
01-07-2012, 00:40
A wise man once said...

Tenderheart
01-07-2012, 10:44
Rowan, are you from Rowan County? I am originally from Davie County.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 10:47
Water's still going to run down your leg, into your socks, into your shoes. The more breathable the better. In addition, if the eVent membrane is the same as that used in clothing, it is recommended that it be washed often for best results.

rowan
01-07-2012, 19:14
Rowan, are you from Rowan County? I am originally from Davie County.

Sure enough. That stretch of rowan right before you cross into Davie is one of the prettiest around in my opinion. Glad to see another local around here!

Smooth & Wasabi
01-07-2012, 20:36
My personal experience is that I am much more comfortable without w/b inserts. If I am worried about the potential for cold/wet/snow and it is not winter conditions I bring waterproof or w/b socks just in case.

rowan
01-07-2012, 22:43
My personal experience is that I am much more comfortable without w/b inserts. If I am worried about the potential for cold/wet/snow and it is not winter conditions I bring waterproof or w/b socks just in case.

guess i am showing how green i am here but... what are w/b inserts? thx