PDA

View Full Version : I seam sealed my new TarpTent Moment today ... How I did it.

theoilman
01-06-2012, 22:06
Easy job! Fairly quick! Strong odors, needs to be done outdoors. Reasonably low cost!

I got a new TarpTent Moment for Christmas, and after 18 degree weather earlier this week it got above 65 today. Set the tent up in the back yard. I bought a tube of clear silicone gasket maker / windshield sealant at an auto parts store (3 oz tube for under $5.00). In a disposable cup I put about 1/4 of the tube of silicone with 3 caps (about a tablespoon each) of mineral spirits and mixed well. I used a foam brush and did all the top seams with this quantity of mix. I mixed another 1/4 of the silicone with 2 caps of mineral spirits and used this heavier mix to put traction spots on the floor. It only took less than an hour to do it all. Supposed to be clear tonight and warm again tomorrow. I left it up to completely set and dry, will take it down tomorrow afternoon.

RayBan
01-06-2012, 22:51
Your savings: $10- Henry does it for $15.

Pride of accomplishment: priceless :)

Enjoy your Moment.

Don H
01-07-2012, 18:31
I use one of those small bottles that has a brush in the cap so you can squeeze and paint the sealer on. Found it in the tile section at Home Depot, they're used to apply grout sealant. Made the job very easy and no drips.