PDA

View Full Version : Mummy Bag Help

ljcsov
01-07-2012, 12:48
Hello all! I am just getting into backpacking and the entire sleeping in a mummy bag thing is new to me. Usually, I sleep in a queen size bed where I have the luxury of being able to sprawl all out. I am a stomach sleeper and find it a bit awkward transitioning to the confinement of a mummy bag. I feel like it is just going to take some time since the longer I was in there the more comfortable I felt. However, I feel like you guys would have some advice for the most comfortable ways to lay in the bag.

Thanks!

tuswm
01-07-2012, 13:02
Well it helps a lot when you are warm enough to leave your sleeping bag unzipped. I notice in a tent with a good sleeping pad I can stay unzipped even below freezing. Also wearing a hat helps to keep you warm. In the warmer months you might consider a quilt. I have been thinking about making one for the summer.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 13:04
Since you're a stomach sleeper and like to sprawl, I thought these might appeal to you. There is no insulation in the bottom. Instead, you use a pad, which becomes your insulation (down and synthetic insulations get crushed under the sleeper's weight, anyhow).
Take a look: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag/filters/11

The nice thing about this type of bag is that you can sleep a bit cooler in warm weather by opting for a non-insulated sleeping pad for that use.

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2012, 13:06
A couple of thoughts: Shop for bags with a wider girth measurement, or a semi rectangular bag, and also check out Montbell bags that stretch (Spiral series?). Some mummy bags are cut very tight for a couple of reasons: 1) The better the bag fits you (the less empty space between you and the bag) the warmer you will be, 2) The tighter the bag, the less material and down used and hence lighter weight.

Also, instead of moving inside the bag, "learn" to move the bag with you (you kind of wear it). So when you turn from your back to your side to your stomach, let the bag roll with you - don't roll inside it.

RWheeler
01-07-2012, 13:10
Also, instead of moving inside the bag, "learn" to move the bag with you (you kind of wear it). So when you turn from your back to your side to your stomach, let the bag roll with you - don't roll inside it.

Think of it as a Snuggie, but no convenient arm-tubes. And about 6000% more insulation value.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 13:15
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79857-BA-Lost-Ranger

Someone here is selling a used BA bag. Check it out.

ljcsov
01-07-2012, 13:16
Oooo those Big Agnes are nice. I just bought a Marmot Sawtooth. It seems to be quite wide for a mummy bag. This might sound silly but I was trying to sleep with it on top of my bed. Granted, it is a 15 degree bag and it got pretty toasty when I did manage to fall asleep. It's probably kind of comical that I was hoping for the temperature to drop last night after I turned my heat off in my apartment. Too bad this freakish weather has rolled with January highs in the mid 50s. I noticed if its not too cold out I can have my shoulders popped out the top leaving my legs in the wider area of the bag. That proved to be pretty comfortable and I could squirm around a bit. Keep in mind, I am a warm sleeper. I sleep VERY hot and even in really cold weather (I remember in college living in my old frat house where the heat barely worked and only sleeping under a thin comforter) with even a light t-shirt on I wake up in a cold sweat. So, I'm hoping I'll be able to scoot up in the bag most the time. I guess the awkwardness of the mummy bag derives from my big thighs. I am not heavy dude (6' 185ish), but I am a LW powerlifter so my thighs are bigger than average. Sure makes jeans shopping an interesting experience. I think its just going to take some practice.

The pillow thing was something I was wrestling with. I can sew despite its damaging effects on my masculinity and made a pillow from some extra PrimaLoft material I had around. Of course, primaloft is a synthetic notorious for its down-like qualities. As a result, it compressed to near complete fatness under my fat head even when putting an obnoxious amount of filler inside. I was checking out some air pillows. Even the travel ones seems like a pretty decent option. Alternatively, I thought making a simple fleece pillow case and cramming some stuff in there would be adequate. I sleep on basically flat dead pillows anyway.

Also, I wanted to thank you all for your guidance in gearing me up! I've made a lot of surely annoying posts here regarding my noobiness and it has helped me get the stuff I need. Being a law student, the funds are pretty tight. However, I didn't see the sense in buying mediocre stuff that would have to be upgraded in the near near future. Thanks to all your help my GF and I have a pretty decent gear list, although not ultralight. We are looking forward to being able to stay out and extend our journeys past a day hike.

Thanks!

Tinker
01-07-2012, 13:17
A couple of thoughts: Shop for bags with a wider girth measurement, or a semi rectangular bag, and also check out Montbell bags that stretch (Spiral series?). Some mummy bags are cut very tight for a couple of reasons: 1) The better the bag fits you (the less empty space between you and the bag) the warmer you will be, 2) The tighter the bag, the less material and down used and hence lighter weight.

What he said - however, if you can't sleep well in a mummy bag, you won't be able to hike well. It's a tradeoff some have chosen to make. Many just learn to live with the down strait jacket. :) (I graduated from a Warmlite rectangular bag to a much lighter mummy and haven't regretted it. Warm the Stephenson bag is, light it is not).

Tinker
01-07-2012, 13:21
Oooo those Big Agnes are nice. I just bought a Marmot Sawtooth. It seems to be quite wide for a mummy bag. This might sound silly but I was trying to sleep with it on top of my bed. Granted, it is a 15 degree bag and it got pretty toasty when I did manage to fall asleep. It's probably kind of comical that I was hoping for the temperature to drop last night after I turned my heat off in my apartment. Too bad this freakish weather has rolled with January highs in the mid 50s. I noticed if its not too cold out I can have my shoulders popped out the top leaving my legs in the wider area of the bag. That proved to be pretty comfortable and I could squirm around a bit. Keep in mind, I am a warm sleeper. I sleep VERY hot and even in really cold weather (I remember in college living in my old frat house where the heat barely worked and only sleeping under a thin comforter) with even a light t-shirt on I wake up in a cold sweat. So, I'm hoping I'll be able to scoot up in the bag most the time. I guess the awkwardness of the mummy bag derives from my big thighs. I am not heavy dude (6' 185ish), but I am a LW powerlifter so my thighs are bigger than average. Sure makes jeans shopping an interesting experience. I think its just going to take some practice.

The pillow thing was something I was wrestling with. I can sew despite its damaging effects on my masculinity and made a pillow from some extra PrimaLoft material I had around. Of course, primaloft is a synthetic notorious for its down-like qualities. As a result, it compressed to near complete fatness under my fat head even when putting an obnoxious amount of filler inside. I was checking out some air pillows. Even the travel ones seems like a pretty decent option. Alternatively, I thought making a simple fleece pillow case and cramming some stuff in there would be adequate. I sleep on basically flat dead pillows anyway.

Also, I wanted to thank you all for your guidance in gearing me up! I've made a lot of surely annoying posts here regarding my noobiness and it has helped me get the stuff I need. Being a law student, the funds are pretty tight. However, I didn't see the sense in buying mediocre stuff that would have to be upgraded in the near near future. Thanks to all your help my GF and I have a pretty decent gear list, although not ultralight. We are looking forward to being able to stay out and extend our journeys past a day hike.

Thanks!
There was a good pillow thread on Whiteblaze recently. Check it out. I think you'll find that you have all the pillow you'll ever need in your pack without having to buy and carry a single use piece of equipment, thereby keeping your weight a bit lower.

dshideler
01-07-2012, 13:24
Yet another option is to carry 3/4 size sleeping bag and a down jacket. The jacket does double duty also cutting your overall weight.

STICK
01-07-2012, 13:32
If you like to sprawl and sleep on your stomach, nothing will work quite as good as a quilt...

Also, a lot of the reason that you may have been so toasty in the Sawtooth while on your bed (other than the fact that it is an accurately rated 15 F bag ~ according to EN ratings) is because of all the insulation that was under you. That bottom insulation is very important in colder weather and really affects the whole system.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 13:35
Yet another option is to carry 3/4 size sleeping bag and a down jacket. The jacket does double duty also cutting your overall weight.

Like this: http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Images/index.jpg

For folks looking for a high quality wider bag (VERY expensive by most casual hiker's standards, but well worth the price because you can choose the materials, quality of down fill, and amount of fill as well)
I have a Great Auk which I bought for winter use and wish I'd have specified a wider size. It's a great bag, though. 2#6oz. and good to 5 degrees F. with 2oz. overfill.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 13:39
If you like to sprawl and sleep on your stomach, nothing will work quite as good as a quilt...

Except a good bag, which prevents a person from poking their arms out from underneath the insulation.

Btw: EVERYONE should use a hammock. :rolleyes:

(You quilt people are as bad as we hammockers are) ;) :)

ljcsov
01-07-2012, 13:51
I do have a hammock set up! The hammocking had fed my DIY bug over the past summer. I made a ton of stuff including a big 12x12 tarp out of 70d sil, a small tarp out of 1.1 sil, a TQ and UQ out of 6oz weight primaloft, and a bunch of other odds and ends :). I heard that my 6oz weight PL equates to a 20deg bag. I still need to test it out though.

STICK
01-07-2012, 13:55
Except a good bag, which prevents a person from poking their arms out from underneath the insulation.

Btw: EVERYONE should use a hammock. :rolleyes:

(You quilt people are as bad as we hammockers are) ;) :)

I was simply making a factual statement. I can sprawl much better under a quilt than I can in a bag...

But that is true, my arms or legs just may pop out from under the quilt...but hey, I would still be sprawled... :)

BTW: I do use a hammock...sometimes...the rest of the time I use a tent... :D

ljcsov
01-07-2012, 13:59
Here is actually what I have going on right now....

::Solo/Hammock Set up::
Hammock: ENO DN
Insulation: 6oz DIY TQ/UQ
Bug Protection: DIY Bug Sock
Tarp: 12x12 70D sil tarp

I also have that smaller tarp that is rigged for a possible future ground ultralight set up. I had it out yesterday to see if I could set it up and it worked quite well. I'd still need some sort of grand cloth and a bivy. Anyways, that's on the back burner considering I still need to get out there for an overnight!!

::His/Her Set up::
Tent: Marmot 3p Limelight (heavier, but split amongst two people its not bad)
Bag: Marmot Sawtooth (probably going to get her the Angelfire or possible the SD Pyro)
Pad: Blue Pad (going to try this, if it doesnt work out so well I'll switch to a BA pad or something)
Poles: Komperdell Highlanders

::Other stuff::
Pack: Lowe Alpine Nanon 50:60
Filter: Platy gravityworks
Stove: Esbit or Alcohol
Cookset: Optimus Terra (the bigger one? - "Weekender")

::Clothing::
Insulation: SD Gnar Hoody
Rainwear: TNF Venture, Columbia pants
Boots: Solomon Air (warmer weather), NB winter snowshoe boots

Gives you an idea of where I am at :) - mostly good to go!!

Old Boots
01-07-2012, 14:02
I have 2 mummy bags and one rectangular. I find the North Face Meow a little tight. But I find my Marmot Neversummer bag quite roomy. Check out the bag to make your choice with the idea that you need a bit more room. I also find that long bags tend to have more room chest and shoulder than regular.