PDA

View Full Version : SOBO wondering when things start shutting down

augie
03-13-2005, 11:17
I'm headed south June 1st and am wondering when/if I'll be affected by places in NC/TN/GA shutting down for the season. I may want to rethink my maildrop situatution for the southern end, if there could be major problems resuppling. If any previous southbounders out there have some experiences or ideas please share.

Nearly Normal
03-13-2005, 18:56
Augie,
Check with
http://www.hikerhostel.com

http://www.mountaincrossings.com/index.html

These folks are very helpful. Both are in Georgia and will reply via email.
pete

generoll
03-13-2005, 19:21
i met some southbounders in January when i was dayhiking from Neel Gap. Walasi Yi was open and the hikers stayed there that night. I can't say about everything, but I suspect that most places do stay open. It might be worth your while to contact the shuttle services and see if they run year round also.

Smooth03
03-13-2005, 21:09
I started May 30th and finished Nov. 17th: for reference.

Walasi-Yi was open. He gives you a free pint of Ben and Jerry's because he loves SOBOs. A nice treat. The heat is turned off though.

Miss Janet's is open.

Elmer's is open

Dave's Place in Damascus is open.

NOC is open, albeit very lonely being the only person in a center fit for probably 150.

The place right north of the Smokies(something "Bear") is open.

Pine Grove(not sure thats the right name but its right before the Dragons Tooth in VA) was open but I know it'll have new owners this year so who knows.

Overall you won't find much trail magic. Virginia is apparently loaded with trail magic during NOBO season. Don't let NOBOs fool you with their tales of little debbies snack cakes and beers in coolers by the side of the roads. They won't be there when you get down south. All in all people can be surprised when they meet you((as a SOBO) because some folks forget that people go south, but I found that most of the hostel owners were very kind and overly generous(i.e. free food and cheaper rates) because you aren't one of 1,000 hikers they've seen in the past month. Your probably the 3rd in the past two. Not knocking NOBOs, just saying the lower numbers will reap you some benefits. That being said past PA I only saw two other thru-hikers for the last 1200 miles. I didn't mind and I know people behind me hiked with other SOBOs but you can definately find yourself in a pocket where the nearest person in front of you is 4 days away and you have no idea where people behind you are. So if you are a person who tends to get lonely, you might try to hook up with some folks. If not, a SOBO will be heaven for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Feel free to email me with any specific SOBO questions.

squirrel bait
03-13-2005, 23:30
I believe Pines hostel is the Four Pines Hostel. I heard about it being up for sale. Nice place, I stayed there. It was clean and I had the place to myself.

Smooth03
03-14-2005, 10:01
I believe Pines hostel is the Four Pines Hostel. I heard about it being up for sale. Nice place, I stayed there. It was clean and I had the place to myself.

Thanks Squirrel Bait!

Yes. I stayed there with another SOBO and some section hikers. A very nice place with great 25 cent beers if I recall correctly?

augie
03-14-2005, 10:33
smooth03,squirrelbait,generoll,and pete56,

Thanks for the sobo info. Sounds like the trip I've been planning for a year or so. Ahhhhhh the solitude.

Augie

lumpy
03-19-2005, 21:07
I've been planning my NOBO thru-hike starting in Feb '06 and after reading some of the threads here on WB, I just might change my plans and go SOBO starting in late July instead. Something to ponder for the next month or so. I also understand that the northern sections of the trail are much more difficult, especially for a novice thru-hiker, but the colors of autumn would be awesome.

Jack Tarlin
03-19-2005, 21:24
All good info so far; Kincora hostel in Tennessee is open year-round (or at least so long as Bob and Pat aren't away); all the motels near the Trail are year-round. Standing Bear Farm near the Smokies will be open. Four Pines Hostel in Catawba VA will NOT be open.

The only potential problem is with some church hostels that tend to be seasonal.

As far as B&B's, most of them are year-round, but if you plan to send mail to them, you might want to check first (to make sure they are in fact, open; won't be on vacation, etc).

You might also want to check with the motel and P.O. in Fontana Dam if you plan on stoping there.

squirrel bait
03-19-2005, 23:36
Sorry to hear the Four Pines won't be open this year. Did they sell? Any chance for opening down the road? That makes for a long day between Pickle Branch and the Boy Scout Shelter.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2005, 21:00
Wonder what Earl did?

A-Train
04-12-2005, 11:46
Its only 13 miles (I believe). You could always use a tent too, which has become a pretty foreign idea to AT hikers (myself included). Anyway, its a beautiful section and the Homeplace is still there. Life is still good