PDA

View Full Version : How much will it COST????

Scarlettepoet
01-07-2012, 18:59
Hello, my husband and I are active hikers, and having been seriously considering doing the thru-hike before we turn 30. What I want to know is, what is the ballpark estimate of how much this hike will cost us? We know it takes about well-timed 6 months months to make the entire trail, but what of expenses? Food, water, shelter( primitive campsites and hotel-breaks), first aid, gear replacement, etc. Can anyone tell me how much their first thru-hike cost them?

RWheeler
01-07-2012, 19:04
The range is typically $3,000-$5,000. As a couple, it wouldn't quite double that, as you could get by with some things a bit cheaper due to buying larger quantities. But also remember that you'll be losing the 6 months each of income, so while you'd be looking at somewhere around $7,500 for a middle-of-the-road guestimate, that's less than what your pocket will actually be lightened by.

leaftye
01-07-2012, 19:08
I agree with RWheeler. $7500. It helps that you can share resources.

Senor Jalapeno
01-07-2012, 19:21
Depends on how you do it. Me and my GF are doing mail drops this time and thats running about $1400. Plus we're budgeting about $1600 for what we spend along the way (food, lodging, campsite/ shelter fees) And then probably another $400 to get home. (Bus ride out is $200 altogether). With a little work you can do a cheap hike that will still be enjoyable!

mountain squid
01-07-2012, 19:28
This is a topic that comes up often. Check my 'how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)' thread out. I've linked to several other threads concerning this very topic. You should get a good idea of how much might be needed.

But, easy answer is 'way more than you might think'. Having leftover funds will certainly be better than running out.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2012, 19:30
With all gear in hand- travel to/from trail not included

ga.--------------------me. $6,428.72
me.--------------------ga. $6,048.27

JAK
01-07-2012, 20:59
Awesome that the two of you share something like hiking.

Visionmonger
01-07-2012, 21:25
I am wondering the same thing, I hope do do the trail next year, and am stashing cash as I can but I am hoping that I can get by without having the total amount up front and will have my wife add funds to a bank account that I can access as I go.

Papa D
01-07-2012, 21:51
The numbers that are being tossed around are the full-fare - paying for a hostel every week, shopping in whatever grocery store you want to and so forth - this is probably the budget that I will use for my next thru hike, but - if you hitch-hike, eat tons of bulk food like oatmeal and peanut butter, stay out of towns and away (for the most part) from been and bud, a thru-hike can be done for a whole lot less -- maybe in the $2500-$3500 range. It's possible.

JAK
01-07-2012, 22:01
It's something that I think is best practiced at home, if you want to be frugal and have any doubts about your self-discipline. Fun, if you are into being frugal, and great way to save for your trip. Also a good way to get in shape, and test out your trail diet. Just go a few weeks on your trail diet, getting as much walking and exercise in as you can, and forgoing temptations like meals out, movies out, etc. Maybe sleep in the backyard a few nights, and walk to work a few times. Whatever. I think it can be done for $1 per mile, but I haven't done it. With two people, you can practice the discipline as a team, and see how you like it, and what your budget should be. Have fun with it.

Papa D
01-07-2012, 22:09
If you use an inflation calculator, I did my 1985 thru hike on $4400 (in 2010 money which is the most current calculator I found - actual amount was about $2200) - being that I was 18, I only partook in the partying that I was privy to - which wasn't much. I pretty much ate oatmeal, potatoes, powdered eggs, powered milk, and hiked with my nose to the ground for 20 miles each day morning till night - luxuries - like candy bars and hot showers which I took mostly in campgrounds were rare but it was an amazing life transforming experience.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2012, 22:17
if a married couple can stand each other for an entire thruhike, then they can make it thru anything :-)
couldn't hurt to have enough funds for pampering (hotels,hostels, town meals,etc...) you might hike into a town not happy with each other and after a shower and a hot meal forget what you were mad about on trail :-)

Papa D
01-07-2012, 22:31
if a married couple can stand each other for an entire thruhike, then they can make it thru anything :-)
couldn't hurt to have enough funds for pampering (hotels,hostels, town meals,etc...) you might hike into a town not happy with each other and after a shower and a hot meal forget what you were mad about on trail :-)

You could do a luxury thru hike for $25K - this would include a taxi to pick you up at any road you wanted, full service hotels with hot tubs, whatever you want to eat, wine and dine wherever you want, replace gear at your whim -- Heck- $5k per month is probably less than you spend in the "front country" - live it up HYOH (I go spartan because it fits into my personal outdoor ethic not because I necessarily have to)

Lone Wolf
01-07-2012, 22:37
Hello, my husband and I are active hikers, and having been seriously considering doing the thru-hike before we turn 30. What I want to know is, what is the ballpark estimate of how much this hike will cost us? We know it takes about well-timed 6 months months to make the entire trail, but what of expenses? Food, water, shelter( primitive campsites and hotel-breaks), first aid, gear replacement, etc. Can anyone tell me how much their first thru-hike cost them?8 grand + for both of you

soilman
01-07-2012, 22:46
For my 2010 thru hike I spent around $5000 not including equipment purchased prior to my hike. I did buy some gear along the way. This also includes renting a car to come home for a few days to take care of some business. I spent about $100 a week if I did not stay in town. Add about another $100/week if you stay in town.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2012, 22:47
You could do a luxury thru hike for $25K - this would include a taxi to pick you up at any road you wanted, full service hotels with hot tubs, whatever you want to eat, wine and dine wherever you want, replace gear at your whim -- Heck- $5k per month is probably less than you spend in the "front country" - live it up HYOH (I go spartan because it fits into my personal outdoor ethic not because I necessarily have to)you ever take your wife with ya:-)

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2012, 22:53
1st time thruhikers tend to spend more
2nd time thruhikers tend to have more money to spend! but might not?

Papa D
01-07-2012, 23:19
you ever take your wife with ya:-)

she did a 5 day backpacking trip with me one time - that pretty much cured her of it - she is a work-out fiend and in much better all around shape than me (she's also 11 years my junior) but she doesn't like to smell bad as much as I don't mind it.

lunatic
01-08-2012, 00:16
My 2009 solo thru cost $5,500+ out of pocket, after the gear I bought to start. Many times I stayed in motels instead of hostels, and I like full service restaurants vs. buffet style places and wine/vodka vs. beer. My preferences were more costly as I moved north, which I expected and budgeted for so it wasn't a problem. Plan ahead and enjoy your hike!

garlic08
01-08-2012, 11:02
My wife and I hiked the PCT in '04 in about five months and it cost us about $9000. We were in our late 40s and we treated it as a vacation and celebrated a 20th anniversary along the way, so we pampered it a little. Four years later I hiked the AT solo in 3.5 months and it only cost about $3500. I think $1000 per person per month is a good estimate to give you some contingency funds, too.

4shot
01-08-2012, 12:04
I think you are fgetting some good advice here...I'll throw in my $.02, plan on the higher range and don't start until you have that much saved. the trail will wait. Finances are one reason people quit and even those who stayed on were worrying about budgets and things in places like Franklin and Gatlinburg. who needs that type of worry on the trail in addition to everything else. Just because you have the $ saved doesn't mean you have to spend it but it's nice to have it. You'd be amazed, believe it or not, on how you can spend $15 - 20 on a lunch at a gas station or convenience store. (You will be even more amazed that you think the food is good too!)

Pony
01-09-2012, 14:19
For my 2010 thru hike I spent around $5000 not including equipment purchased prior to my hike. I did buy some gear along the way. This also includes renting a car to come home for a few days to take care of some business. I spent about $100 a week if I did not stay in town. Add about another $100/week if you stay in town.

Any chance you were Ohibro? Oprah rules!

railwalker
01-17-2012, 15:46
i was hiking two times about 500 miles in france. My calculation is 1€ for every kilometer. Translated to the A.T. it will be arround 2$/mile.