PDA

View Full Version : hatchet murder?

DebW
03-13-2005, 16:52
I'm reading a book about coyotes by Catherine Reid, and she spends a few pages talking about a murder that happened on the AT when she thru-hiked. The date isn't mentioned, but I'd guess in the 70s or 80s sometime. A woman named Jan from Wisconsin, whom the author hiked with from Georgia to N. Carolina, was murdered near Damascus by a man who threw a hatched across a campfire at her. The author had spent a night in a shelter some days prior to that with the murderer, a man named Paul who told hiking stories but didn't look like a hiker. He turned himself in to the police in Damascus.

From the ATC web site discussion of AT murders, it looks like this one:

April 1975—Thru-hiker Janice Balza, 22, of Madison, Wisconsin, was killed by a hatchet wielded by hiker/tree surgeon Paul Bigley, 51, after breakfast at a shelter in northeast Tennessee. He died in state prison in Nashville. He killed her for her pack, a brand he coveted, testimony revealed.

Funny how you run across stuff like this when you're not expecting it.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-13-2005, 18:35
I'm a total gear head, my first thoughts were what kind of pack and what kind of hatchet. I believe I'll seek professional help.:datz

Scaper
03-13-2005, 20:49
That took place at the Vandeventer shelter .

MedicineMan
03-13-2005, 23:19
on the Creepy poll last week.....

concerning hatchets look at this:

http://www.cool-camping.com/camping-equipment-8266.html

I'll put it in the weird things to carry but I've hiked with it when i know i'll have the time and wood to make a fire...best of all it only weighs 19.1 oz.
Better in the kayak but sometimes it has its place on the trail.

Gonzo!
03-14-2005, 09:32
That took place at the Vandeventer shelter .
I recall that a couple were killed at Vandeventer by lightening strike, but the hatchet thing happened somewhere else perhaps - if not, I don't think I want to stay at that shelter any more!

Gonzo!

DebW
03-14-2005, 12:07
on the Creepy poll last week.....

concerning hatchets look at this:

http://www.cool-camping.com/camping-equipment-8266.html

I'll put it in the weird things to carry but I've hiked with it when i know i'll have the time and wood to make a fire...best of all it only weighs 19.1 oz.
Better in the kayak but sometimes it has its place on the trail.

That looks almost like the tool I have which is hatchet on one side and mattock on the other (kind of a mini pulaski). I can clean waterbars and chop wood! Do hikers ever get scared of trail maintainers with axes and chainsaws?

ocourse
03-14-2005, 22:53
I've heard that these violent encounters can be avoided by being more aware, carrying a hiking stick, and having a peaceful mindset.

Hikerhead
03-14-2005, 23:00
That looks almost like the tool I have which is hatchet on one side and mattock on the other (kind of a mini pulaski). I can clean waterbars and chop wood! Do hikers ever get scared of trail maintainers with axes and chainsaws?

Just when they see you with one. :D

BlackCloud
03-15-2005, 11:30
I'm a total gear head, my first thoughts were what kind of pack and what kind of hatchet. I believe I'll seek professional help.:datz
I believe I read that it was a Kelty pack. Shouldn't they include that in their catalog as a promo?