PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Gearlist Just for kicks

Senor Jalapeno
01-07-2012, 19:44
Well, I kinda wanna know what ya'll think of my 2012 Thruhike gearlist. So feel free to strip it down or build it up!

Backpack: Osprey Exos 58
Inside/ on the pack:
Sea to Summit UL pack cover
Contractor bag as a liner
Sleeping Bag: Montbell U.L Super Spiral down hugger #1 (15*)
Silk liner
Tent: Foot print + Rain Fly of Half Dome 2 plus (GF carrying tent+ Poles)
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket
Fuel Cannister
Pot: Snow peak .75 L (with pocket rocket inside)
Spork
Lighter
Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp
Patagonia Capilene 2 bottoms
Patagonia Capilene 3 top
1 Pair of hiking socks
1 Pair of sock liners
Synthetic T-Shirt
Compression Shorts
Montbell U.L down Jacket
Beanie
Marmot Precip Jacket
Homemade Rain Skirt
Bandana
Gloves (when not on hands :D)
Platypus Gravity Works filter
Food Bag
AWOL's AT Guide
50 feet of paracord
Camera
2 Nalgene Bottles
Wallet
On me: Synthetic T shirt
Kilt
Hiking Socks
Sock Liners
Merril mid-hikers
Leki poles
Suct Tape wrapped around my Leki Poles
Watch
Bandana
leftovers in my beard

Alright, now tear me APART!:D

chiefiepoo
01-07-2012, 20:00
first aid and personal care items?
edge tool?

and I want to try some of that Suct tape, too

there, your first nit pic

RWheeler
01-07-2012, 20:03
Be careful splitting up gear. Unless you plan on both leaving if one wants to leave, and hiking at the pace of whoever is hiking slower.

TOMP
01-07-2012, 20:28
Not bringing a cell phone or journal? Also I would switch the paracord with spectra. I recently made the switch and now I have 50' for only 0.6 ounce.

Senor Jalapeno
01-07-2012, 20:34
Ah poop, I knew I spelled duct tape wrong, the library computer logged me out when I tried to make a comment to fix that! Speaking of poop, I fogot to list my TP and personal care items. They include a small pack of bio wipes and some travel deodorant and a toothbrush. I didn't use a first aid kit last year at all, plus I'm a nurse so I can make do with pretty much anything. But anyway, that's all. Spectra sounds cool, ill have to google it!

Blissful
01-07-2012, 20:47
You'll need a long sleeve hiking shirt also. Need also something else on legs in the cold for hiking
Nalgene is heavy, Aqua fina bottles or the like work just as well
Hope the gravity work filter goes ok- not had use with it, but I used Aqua mira all the way and it worked fine
I never think just two pairs of hiking socks is enough, but I am finicky about feet

Well, if you're a nurse, you ought to know some type of first aid kit is essential. I'm surprised (!). You can at least carry a kit for the two of you or for your GF if not for yourself. At least care about her safety out there... I won't tell you how a hiker got a cut on her leg, developed a systemic infection and was off the trail... Careful wound cleansing would have avoided it. And you WILL get hurt in some way...
DEET later on

Papa D
01-07-2012, 22:16
This is a very good start - I'd add some reading material, journal, pen, and a little first aid kit - mainly tape and blister stuff - I'd also ditch the gravity filter and just take aqua mira -- I could probably nit-pick some more but this list is in top 90 percentile of the ones posted on WB so - good job!

Senor Jalapeno
01-07-2012, 23:49
Should clear this up- GF is carrying a small first aid kit for herself. I haven't run into a single problem that a liberal rinsing with water and some duct tape won't fix. Gravity filter works amazing. I might have to end up replacing my nalgenes with gatorade bottles cuz they've gone everywher and on every hike with me, and no matter how well I clean them now, they smell by the next day after I fill them up again. Haha. I also forgot to mention my little multitool knife thing. And my z rest. Stupid librarian rushing me off the computer!

shelb
01-08-2012, 00:29
Also I would switch the paracord with spectra. I recently made the switch and now I have 50' for only 0.6 ounce.

Curious, I looked up the spectra cord on Amazon, and they only had it in white. Does it come in other colors? If so, where? My middle-school age teen sons love making bracelets out of paracord. They love the idea of the look, plus the survival potential. Since they also sell to other scouts and hike with me, the spectra might be a good idea...

TOMP
01-08-2012, 02:25
I did a quick search and it seems that spectra material does not hold dye and so it only comes in white. I did find it sold in colors but I think its spectra and nylon wove in for the color. http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/BlueWater/idesc/5+mm+Titan+Spectra+Cord/Store/MG/item/614811/N/1055%204294967118
Also this page sells it by the ft and its much more expensive then the white spectra on amazon. Also if you want a lot of it, it sells at 250 ft for 30 bucks on ebay.

Lastly spectra is more rigid then paracord so it doesnt make a soft bracelet. It would be closer to the feel of a hemp bracelet.