PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Texdaniel
01-08-2012, 00:53
Im starting in georgia around the end of march beginning of april. when will i be good to ship my warming layers home?

fiddlehead
01-08-2012, 01:22
I'd always keep at least one set of long johns.
But, I believe you can send the heavy stuff home around Hot Springs, NC.
(not before)
Remember the AT can get cold and wet anytime, anywhere.
Never send raingear home and know how to use the hot water bottle in your bag at night when in tough situations.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2012, 01:48
You'll know when that time comes, just don't jump the gun by being fooled by a few really warm days. Mid to late May on average, which for most starting in late March/ early April will be Pearisburg, VA

max patch
01-08-2012, 08:44
General advice is after Mr Rogers, VA.

garlic08
01-08-2012, 10:49
Best advice I heard when I hiked was to wait until after the Traildays weekend in Damascus (mid-May), no matter where you are on the trail.

Texdaniel
01-09-2012, 00:40
excellent. thank you all

JAK
01-09-2012, 01:35
I would only add to that to do your own research into historical climate data, typical and extreme highs and lows for each month of your hike, from locations near the trail, and corrected for elevation. Along with that do some testing of your clothes to see what works at different temperatures, in walking slow, and sitting around. This is a good time to do that because you should be able to get some low temperatures without having to head to the hills. Hills are better though. I developed my own empirical formula of 1oz of clothing for every degF below about 85F. Find what works for you. Remember also that your clothing only needs to be most efficient in terms of warmth for weight when it is worn all at once for the worst conditions, since most of the time you will be delayered for warmer or more active conditions, and it doesn't matter as much since you still have to carry it anyway.

Along those lines though, when it comes to sending something home, you are essentially changing your clothing system since the "all at once" set of clothing will be missing some stuff, but still needs to be "most efficient" with that stuff sent home. Consider a set of long wool underwear as that item to send home, or dropped off at good-will, or be given a decent viking funeral. Mine are just loose enough to fit over my normal skin layers, but still thin enough to fit under my mid-layers. You can use them as your winter skin layers if cold enough, or reserved as sleep wear, or worn with everything else if you happen to get into some historically cold weather, which is unlikely but still worth preparing for. You may also want to shed a pair of socks, a pair of mitts, and perhaps switch to a lighter head and neck system. You still want a head and neck system in summer, but its thinner. Mitts are less important in summer, as you can always wear a pair of socks or use your pockets, and there is no chance of frostbite. Also, skin temperature of hands can be colder than other parts, and this makes a bigger difference in summer, but very little difference at temperatures below freezing. So you need more even coverage in winter, and somewhat less even coverage in summer, when you are wearing everything, i.e. your total clothing system.

-Ghost-
01-12-2012, 00:11
After Mt. Rogers is a good recommendation. You are starting later than myself (March 3rd) and I sent mine home in Pearisburg. Hopefully you could swap your stuff out a little before then. Just talk with others on the trail, as well.

Bronk
01-12-2012, 05:52
I was told to keep my cold weather gear until after April 15th or after I passed Roan Mountain, so I sent all my winter clothing home from Elk Park, NC. But just outside of Pearisburg on May 21st I woke up to SNOW. I had a few very cold nights...

Jim Adams
01-13-2012, 04:03
Wait until after the Grayson Highlands...alot of people send their stuff home @ Trail Days and then run into ice and snow in the Highlands. BTW, tell whoever is @ home to leave the package sealed and just send it back to you just before the Whites...you will appreciate having it back.

geek

d.o.c
01-13-2012, 09:08
keep em at least to pearisburg Va youll still hit a few nights thatll chill ya when all that rain comes in april and may.

d.o.c
01-13-2012, 09:11
i carried most of mine all the way to home in troutville and then left and went north without as much warm stuff... then picked up a few things for new england and the whites like a hat and thermal bottems