PDA

View Full Version : Clothing List > Please advise

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 04:06
Hi all,
I need some experienced hiker help please. I'm looking to lighten my clothing list... so I'm hoping you can point out some things I can leave home. This is for a NOBO thru, leaving somewhere between 3/21 and 4/1.

-Down Pants, Down Jacket w/ hood, Down Socks - for camp and to augment my sleeping bag (30deg.)

-2 pairs of socks

- hiking shorts
- smartwool longjohns
-boxer brief

- smartwool tshirt
- patagonia base layer 1 long sleeve
- patagonia 3 pullover.

-balaclava

-possum down gloves
-rain mitts

-rain jacket
-rain pants

I know what I can get rid of after warm weather hits, but at the beginning of this trip I'm just unsure.

There may not be anything to cut, if so, fine. I just feel there is too much here?

leaftye
01-08-2012, 04:20
- smartwool tshirt
- patagonia 3 pullover.

If this is all going into your pack to change into at night to keep your bag clean, then pick one and leave the rest at home.

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 04:29
If this is all going into your pack to change into at night to keep your bag clean, then pick one and leave the rest at home.

Negative leaftye. Those items are for hiking in, dependent upon the days temps. Is this overkill? The down gear I mentioned is for sleeping and camp. I've never been able to hike in down, hence the patagonia 3 pullover. thoughts? thanks for the help.

leaftye
01-08-2012, 05:03
Yeah, you can't hike in down, not unless you use a vapor barrier. You might be okay if you switched the pullover with a windshirt. Save the base layer for camp or even colder weather, and if you still don't use it, then send it home. Your down jacket already has a hood, so the balaclava is redundant and not all that useful except to absorb your head/face oils before it gets to the down insulation.

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 05:19
Would my rainjacket do as a "windshirt"? Not really sure what constitutes a wind shirt. The Balaclava I'll use while hiking for headwear... folded correctly it doubles as a tight beanie. It sure would be nice if I could ditch the Pullover.

leaftye
01-08-2012, 05:37
Your rain jacket might work very well as a windshirt. It's worth a shot. I believe the main benefit of a windshirt is that it thwarts some of the effect that evaporation can have. It'd be like stepping behind a building on a windy day. Even if it's not windy, it'll provide a little insulation. If the weather is dry, I think you won't need much clothing to stay warm when hiking, even if the weather is quite cold. It's when it's raining that it becomes challenging.

leaftye
01-08-2012, 05:40
One thing I've been wanting to try this winter is using a vapor barrier while hiking, even if it's not very cold. It should allow me to wear thin clothing, but keep that dry and fresh smelling, and I'll sleep in that clean clothing at night without the vapor barrier. Also, because it keeps my clothes dry, it shouldn't attract as much dirt and I can even wear down clothing while hiking without compromising the down with sweat. At least that's how it should work. I'll give it a shot this winter.

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 05:49
Great info here leaftye. Thanks. I'm going to give it a try hiking in some cold weather if we ever get any and pack everything up and see what i actually need while walking. I can always use the down jacket/pants at breaks if need be. Ditching that Patagonia 3 will save me 10 oz. or so of clothing.

leaftye
01-08-2012, 05:54
I bet you'll ditch the long johns, base layer, down pants and possum gloves pretty quick. There's nothing wrong with bringing it to the trail head and sending it home at the first trail town though. If you need it, you'll have it, and if you don't, you won't have to carry it long.

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 06:02
Yeah I can't see needing the down pants that often; the problem is I'm not purchasing a lower rated bag so for sleeping safety I will have to keep them handy for nights that dip into the teens.

I was wondering about the long johns... whether or not the rain pants would suffice during the early cold days that I need something more than shorts.

Bronk
01-08-2012, 06:11
Hi all,
I need some experienced hiker help please. I'm looking to lighten my clothing list... so I'm hoping you can point out some things I can leave home. This is for a NOBO thru, leaving somewhere between 3/21 and 4/1.

-Down Pants, Down Jacket w/ hood, Down Socks - for camp and to augment my sleeping bag (30deg.)

-2 pairs of socks

- hiking shorts
- smartwool longjohns
-boxer brief

- smartwool tshirt
- patagonia 3 pullover.

-balaclava

-possum down gloves
-rain mitts

-rain jacket
-rain pants

I know what I can get rid of after warm weather hits, but at the beginning of this trip I'm just unsure.

There may not be anything to cut, if so, fine. I just feel there is too much here?

I started out with a balaclava but quickly realized it was unnecessary...I only wore it once, and I started a few weeks earlier than you are planning. Down pants are probably overkill. I wouldn't rely on down gloves...matter of fact I don't like down at all, prefer wool or synthetics...when down gets wet it doesn't work and its difficult to get dry again...and even if you have your rain jacket over your down jacket its going to get wet because you are going to sweat in it. When on the trail in the springtime everything you own is going to be damp unless you just left the laundromat. By the time all your stuff dries out it will rain again.

I never use rainpants...I buy a $10 pair of nylon jogging pants from Walmart...they are lightweight, can be washed and wrung out in a shower or a sink when no laundry facilities are available, and they dry in 15 to 20 minutes just wearing them damp after you've wrung them out. Use a rainjacket that comes down below your waist and you'll really only ever get wet between your knees and your boots.

I layered with a tshirt, long sleeve tshirt, long sleeve fleece, fleece vest and a rain jacket with a hood.

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 06:17
thanks Bronk.

the possum down gloves are bit of a misnomer. They are actually made with possum and merino wools. That really should be the name of them. Very warm, even when wet. I've hiked in upper 30's with sideways rain and my hands were cold then... which is why i'm also considering the rain mitts to go overtop.

What did you take for your bottom half?

leaftye
01-08-2012, 06:40
I never use rainpants...I buy a $10 pair of nylon jogging pants from Walmart...they are lightweight, can be washed and wrung out in a shower or a sink when no laundry facilities are available, and they dry in 15 to 20 minutes just wearing them damp after you've wrung them out.

I probably have the same pants. I put a dwr treatment on it to make it work a little like rain pants, and I'm just waiting for it to rain so I can try it out.

garlic08
01-08-2012, 10:55
Best advice I've heard (from Mt Squid) on this topic is that you should be able to wear everything at the same time.

At that time of year, expect to encounter relatively severe weather in the high country above 5000'. I left in early April and hiked through two winter storms in the first two weeks, with blowing snow and nighttime temps in the mid-teens. Also expect lots of warm, sunny pleasant early Spring days.

Don H
01-08-2012, 13:10
I had the same question before starting my thru-hike this year. Here's the answers I got. My clothing list worked pretty well for me. I sent cold weather gear home in Parisburg, VA and got it back in Hanover, NH.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?70421-Clothing-for-a-Thru-Starting-3-13!&highlight=clothing

bamboo bob
01-08-2012, 13:18
I doubt you'll need down pants, I have hiked in snow for four days in the cascades at the end of the PCT and rain pants over hiking shorts were just fine. Mainly rain pants get used in town at the laundromat otherwise. Hiking I am always mainly too hot and never too cold. In camp the down jacket is plenty. You can sleep in it too. I have a windshirt for hiking and down jacket for night. If it's really cold i use a sleeveless fleece. But that goes home as soon as the weather warms up.