PDA

View Full Version : SoLite vs. Z-Lite

ljcsov
01-08-2012, 11:20
Hey all,

So the last thing I need for my sleeping set up is a sleeping pad. I decided to start out with a foam pad and then upgrade to inflatable one in the future if I see a need for it. I figure I can still utilize the foam pad in combination with the inflatable on the coldest of days. Anyway, I am torn between the SoLite and Z-lite. Mainly, is it worth the R-Value trade off for less bulk? The Zlite is 14oz with and R-value of 2.2 while the SoLite is also 14oz with an R-value of 2.8. I found a sweet deal on Campmor where I can get me a SoLite for only $20!

Thanks.

RWheeler
01-08-2012, 12:14
Do you need full length for your pad? That should help a lot with weight and bulk for the options.

I, personally have a shorter Z-Rest. 10oz. Works fine for me, so far.

TOMP
01-08-2012, 12:23
I would get the 20 dollar solite and cut it down if you dont need it full size. I bought the small solite and its all I need.

tuswm
01-08-2012, 16:08
one thing to consider if you are still shopping for a pack is that some take a z lite for a frame, also z light can fold in sich a way that they work as a car seat. I wish all pads folded like that, you can even fold it in such a way that it makes a pillow. the folding feature is real usefull.

ljcsov
01-08-2012, 17:22
I ended up picking up that regular SOLite. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for your feedback! As for the pillow, I am going to make myself a fleece mini pillow case to put stuff in!

STICK
01-08-2012, 18:23
I would get the 20 dollar solite and cut it down if you dont need it full size. I bought the small solite and its all I need.

I agree with this. I would cut the pad down long enough to go from your neck down to about mid thigh. It is thin enough so that you won't notice the drop from the pad to the ground.

Also, as has been mentioned, if you can use this pad as your frame/support for your pack that would be great too..

ljcsov
01-08-2012, 19:04
Sweet! I am pumped for it. I also picked up a Brunton baseplate compass :D - my Brunton lensatic dialed in a snails pace

Zalman
01-24-2019, 13:45
Resurrecting this old thread in light of the most recent tech specs for both the Zlite and Solite.

According to what I've read, the Zlite is currently listed at 14oz, with an R-value of 2.6 and a thickness of .75".
The Solite is listed at 14oz, R-value of 2.8, and thickness of .625"

So why on earth does the thicker CCF pad have a lower R-value? Any ideas? Both of these pads have the same heat-reflective layer too.

In a similar vein, the new Nemo Switchback is 14.5oz, .9" thick -- they don't provide an R-value (yet), but Section Hiker "estimated" it at a mere 2 - 2.5. What's going on here?

scope
01-24-2019, 14:53
Resurrecting this old thread in light of the most recent tech specs for both the Zlite and Solite.

According to what I've read, the Zlite is currently listed at 14oz, with an R-value of 2.6 and a thickness of .75".

So why on earth does the thicker CCF pad have a lower R-value? Any ideas? Both of these pads have the same heat-reflective layer too.

In a similar vein, the new Nemo Switchback is 14.5oz, .9" thick -- they don't provide an R-value (yet), but Section Hiker "estimated" it at a mere 2 - 2.5. What's going on here?

Good catch on the tech specs and anomalies with R value. First off, I think mfr's R values are a little dubious anyway, more suggestion than fact, though likely an attempt to play the same game as others play to keep the playing field level, which means you should be able to compare between pads with some degree of meaning, just not absolute.

Secondly, have you seen these pads? The egg crate and similar design of the Zlite and Switchback pads make for various thickness throughout the pad. I know my Zlite is nowhere near 3/4" thick for most of the pad, and I assume the same for the 9/10" listed thickness of the Nemo. Given the Nemo is reportedly thicker than the Zlite and has the same metalized coating as the newer Zlite which lists a 2.6 R value, then I'd say the Nemo should be more like 2.8-3.0 or so. Personally, I think the Zlite does a decent job for its lack of thickness, with the egg crate design making air pockets to be warmed by your body, which would only be enhanced with the reflective coating. The design of the Nemo seems to make the potential for air pockets smaller which would diminish the effect of reflective radiation. Similarly, the SoLite air pockets are very shallow, leading me to believe you don't get much from reflection. Rather, the SoLite seems to be the 5/8" thickness throughout more of the pad which would be why the R value is higher.

Truly, to calculate R value with any degree of accuracy, you have to have some consistent thickness numbers. These pads have varying thicknesses throughout, and to what degree the mfr's (Thermarest only, and kudo's to Nemo for not reporting) calculation includes all the varying details required to accurately report the R value is not known, and I suggest its highly unlikely to have been done using the super computer that would be necessary to do it.

Note that the Section Hiker assessment of the Nemo R value may be more accurate in real world experience. So just adjust the numbers of the other two pads accordingly.

Time Zone
01-24-2019, 15:43
It appears to me that Thermarest measures their CCF pads' thickness from peak to trough, including empty space caused by the ridges. I happen to have a piece of cut-up Ridgerest Classic for a sit pad, and the other day I took some calipers to the thickness of the foam itself. It was about half of the advertised thickness of the pad. That's when I realized they were using the full profile height of zig-zag pattern for marketing the pad's thickness. There is a non-zig-zag border around the pad that is nearly as thick as advertised. But the middle 95% or so of the pad is close to half as thick if you just measure the foam (i.e., if you could flatten it out).

This is not to say their R-values are false or misleading. There is insulative value in air - if not convective, that is. Aye, there's the rub....

Nothing to advise here really. I happen to prefer CCF over air pads, and thickness (or say 1 pad vs. 2) is just a trial and error thing.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2019, 15:46

Those are "apparent" visual thickness.
Not actual foam thickness.

You have a thinner foam molded into corrugations which create "apparent " thickness. Its not uniform throughout either.

I can fold a piece of paper into a corrugated pad 1" high. The paper is still .01" thick

Cheyou
01-24-2019, 18:38
Doesn’t one have a silver reflection side

thom

Time Zone
01-24-2019, 19:33
Doesn’t one have a silver reflection side

thom

The SoLite does; the original Z-lite does not, but in recent years, I have not seen it at REI and other outdoor retailers. Instead, I've seen the Z-lite Sol, which also has the silver reflective coating.

The coating is claimed to enhance R-value ("reflects radiant heat back to your body, amplifying the warmth of the heat-trapping dimples by 20%"). FWIW I have not noticed a warmth difference due to this coating on my Ridgerest Solar, which has the silver stuff on one side and no coating on the other.

Time Zone
01-24-2019, 22:12
I can fold a piece of paper into a corrugated pad 1" high. The paper is still .01" thick
Not unlike a car's air filter.

Though the air filter is designed that way not for insulation, but to have a large surface area.

Zalman
01-25-2019, 01:01
Interesting points. Reading a bit further at the Nemo website, apparently they eschew R-ratings in favor of temperature-based minimum comfort ratings, just as sleeping bags are rated. What's more, they're apparently behind an effort to create an industry standard method (and perhaps agency?) for establishing warmth ratings.

The Nemo Switchback is rated to 20°.