PDA

View Full Version : Jobs?

Adrian
01-08-2012, 11:27
So February 1st I'm informing my employers that my last day will be the last of the month. The question is, do I tell them that I'm leaving to Thru-Hike the AT or make up some other scenario? I don't want to sound like a crazy or irresponsible (knowing them they'd probably think so), but I also don't know if I'd feel comfortable saying anything else because, well, I'm not leaving to do anything else.

I'm not planning to return to my position (in fact I can't due to a planned relocation the end of this year), but I would like to use my current employers as a reference for future jobs.

What is everyone else doing job-wise?

About_Time
01-08-2012, 11:34
The truth is always best in the long run, as it's easier to remember. Be honest (and proud) about what you're attempting...

G.G.
01-08-2012, 11:39
The truth. Nothing irresponsible about it.

Juice
01-08-2012, 11:52
I would definitely tell them I was leaving to do a Thru-hike. How many people actually follow their dreams?

Adrian
01-08-2012, 12:34
Hope they see it that way :) Though I guess in all actuality it doesn't really matter. They can't really give me a bad reference if I give them ample notice and did my job well.

Maybe I should yell some obscenities and flip my desk on the way out - make it irresponsible (god I'd love to do that)

slims
01-08-2012, 12:44
I'd just tell them that I have to relocate at the end of the year and due to that fact I've decided to depart earlier to pursue my dream of thru-hiking the AT. Thanks for the opportunity, it's been great, blah blah blah. No point in lying and I don't see why they wouldn't give you a reference.

As for what I'm doing job-wise; I left my job last year and have just been doing part time stuff and odd jobs since. After the hike I'm looking to settle down somewhere in the states and find work and eventually go back to school.

Papa D
01-08-2012, 12:49
Thru hiking the AT should not be seen as an irresponsible lark. - if a thru hiker resume ever comes across my desk (and it has), I would seriously consider hiring that person -- here is a person that can create his or her own logistical plan for a hard endeavor and carry it thru to completion. Absolutely tell the truth. You should not hike the AT to build your resume - that would be absurd, but it doesn't hurt one bit.

carpattack
01-08-2012, 12:52
I was very honest with my boss and just let him know that even though I loved my job, I was very passionate about hiking the trail and that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just couldn't pass up. I was even more surprised that his dad had hiked it in sections and he was very supportive of my decision.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 13:02
I was very honest with my boss and just let him know that even though I loved my job, I was very passionate about hiking the trail and that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just couldn't pass up. I was even more surprised that his dad had hiked it in sections and he was very supportive of my decision.

Very good to hear that honesty can work out! Wishing you a grand experience!

Feral Bill
01-08-2012, 13:59
You do not need an explanation. "I'm leaving for personal reasons" is all they need.

Blue Jay
01-08-2012, 14:08
Thru hiking the AT should not be seen as an irresponsible lark.

Damn, I hate to be the voice of reality. It SHOULD NOT be seen as an irresponsible lark, but it will be seen that way.

Mike2012
01-08-2012, 14:11
Damn, I hate to be the voice of reality. It SHOULD NOT be seen as an irresponsible lark, but it will be seen that way.

Maybe by some but not by anyone whose opinion really matters in the long haul. HYOY and Live Your Own Life.

Sierra Echo
01-08-2012, 14:12
Do you always have a backup lie ready??

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2012, 14:23
What everyone else said. Whether future potential employers see a thru-hike as a great and worthy endeavor, or as a foolish lark (most will be somewhere in between these two extremes), will in no way be near as important as the most important quality they look for in every employee - honesty.

IrishBASTARD
01-08-2012, 14:26
You owe them nothing...you put your time in and gave just notice. If anything a thru-hike is mass planning and saving of both time and money. To think its anything of a "lark" is truly insane. A "Lark" is doing something at the spur of the moment. If more thru's attempted the A.T as a "lark" the failure rate would increase greatly. All the luck will be in DC end of Feb for a night...awaiting my Train to Clemson and onto the A.T.

Toolshed
01-08-2012, 14:35
Tell them your plans and why you are leaving. You owe it to yourself to leave on a high road... Who knows you might inspire others.

In addition, unless your skillset is in demand or you have an incredible relationship with your employer, I would probably wait 2 more weeks and give just 2 weeks notice. Employment at will. If you give more than 2 weeks, an employer does not have to keep you on, nor pay you past 2 weeks. Most employers have a reasonable policy of keeping you on and paying you for teh full 2 weeks. If you were going to a competitor, they usually walk you out and give you 2-weeks pay.
However, some bosses take it as a personal insult and take on the "You're dead to me" attitude and could make your 2 weeks miserable.
Good Luck

Rasty
01-08-2012, 14:51
A one time thru hike wont hurt your resume. A history of six month jobs and six months off could hurt if it shows a pattern.

Adrian
01-08-2012, 15:15
I guess I should clarify - I wouldn't lie about why I was leaving, I just wouldn't mention the AT as my main reason. More like I'd emphasize that I'm leaving due to an upcoming move, additional schooling, etc. (these are legitimate factors for me, they just won't come into play untill after my thru).

Adrian
01-08-2012, 15:20
In addition, unless your skillset is in demand or you have an incredible relationship with your employer, I would probably wait 2 more weeks and give just 2 weeks notice. Employment at will. If you give more than 2 weeks, an employer does not have to keep you on, nor pay you past 2 weeks. Most employers have a reasonable policy of keeping you on and paying you for teh full 2 weeks. If you were going to a competitor, they usually walk you out and give you 2-weeks pay.
However, some bosses take it as a personal insult and take on the "You're dead to me" attitude and could make your 2 weeks miserable.
Good Luck

I've thought about this - and now that you bring up my fears, maybe I'll tell them a week or 2 into February....

Adrian
01-08-2012, 15:27
I was thinking "Sorry, I need to resign due to the upcoming apocalypse. I must go construct my bunker in the mountains of Georgia and stockpile alcohol and guns. Good day."

TOMP
01-08-2012, 15:32
The truth is you dont owe them any explaination, you could say something generic like "I no longer believe this job is in line with where I see my career heading". I wouldnt make something up though. If you want to tell them go ahead. Now that you have given your notice you cant be fired, they can ask you to leave but they still have to pay you for your notice weeks. I wouldnt worry about it, if you had a good relationship they will understand why you want to leave and thru-hike, if you didnt then likely they will forget you soon after you leave.

atmilkman
01-08-2012, 15:37
When you were hired did you sign one of those hickey-dos that say either the company or you can terminate your employment at any time without any yaddy yaddy blah blah blah such and such or whatever? Because if you did you can bet if they wanted to let you go you would get absolutely zero notice. By giving them notice you show that you have a higher character level than they do.

Blue Jay
01-08-2012, 16:50

Never met an HR person with a soul or even remotely truthful (knowing full well one will immediately write claiming they have one). There are many reasons to leave a job, use another one. To a corporation citing the AT is worse than claiming you are a crack addict.

Blue Jay
01-08-2012, 16:51
When you were hired did you sign one of those hickey-dos that say either the company or you can terminate your employment at any time without any yaddy yaddy blah blah blah such and such or whatever? Because if you did you can bet if they wanted to let you go you would get absolutely zero notice. By giving them notice you show that you have a higher character level than they do.

You got that right.

TOMP
01-08-2012, 17:23
To a corporation citing the AT is worse than claiming you are a crack addict.[/QUOTE]

Why are these mutually exclusive?

Blue Jay
01-08-2012, 17:35
Ok, tell them you're a Terrorist Crack Head Thruhiker. They won't know what a thruhiker is and give you a good reference.

rocketsocks
01-08-2012, 17:55
:)Most people don't get 2 weeks notice when there laid off or fired and most people are replaceable contrary to what they think.That said,unless your boss is your friend or you feel the need to offer an explanation,it's not necessary.Give your 2 weeks notice and say good bye and thank you very much,end of conversation.It's OK for you to ask if you can get a letter of recommendation before you leave,now the ball is in your employer's court.If that request is not answered or met....Split and start your adventure early.have a great hike.:)

Papa D
01-08-2012, 18:28

Maybe I just gravitate toward cool people but I've never heard anyone express anything negative about someone's successful thru-hike. Maybe they don't understand much or don't care but I can't imagine anyone thinking, "what a waste of time" -- assuming it was completed

Adrian
01-09-2012, 09:44
Thanks for the solid advice and opinions everyone!

jsdamon
01-09-2012, 23:55
i put in my notice at work at the beginning of the year. im going to be done at my job at the end of this month and since we work on monthly quotas i thought it was a nice thing to give a full month since i knew. and it wasn't news to anyone. i told everyone i worked with in october that i'm hiking the AT. just didn't say it too loud around management because i didn't want to be "let go" before i was ready to go. but they absolute best part of telling management that you are quitting to hike is that i had to fill out a formal resignation form (i work for a pretty large company) and i got a call from out regional HR person to ask if i really am quitting to hike the AT. and i had to explain to her all sorts of stuff about the AT until she realized it wasn't something you can just do on vacation. it didn't click until i asked for 6 months leave of absense that she finally understood that i wasn't quitting because i found another job or hated my current one (but i kind of do). heh

pretty much what i'm saying is every one should OWN IT. it's something you're going to talk about foundly for the rest of your life, might as well start now.

Old Hiker
01-10-2012, 16:05
Never met an HR person with a soul or even remotely truthful (knowing full well one will immediately write claiming they have one). There are many reasons to leave a job, use another one. To a corporation citing the AT is worse than claiming you are a crack addict.

Every HR person has at least one soul - if they are doing their jobs right, they have EVERY employee's soul, stashed in a jar somewhere.

Be honest with your employer - keep your own integrity, even if they don't keep theirs.