PDA

View Full Version : $$$ Costs of a thru-hike? $$$

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 17:09
UPDATE – this is edited, with corrections. ~ Mark

Costs ($$$) DURING a thru-hike?

In planning my 2013 thru-hike, I am trying to understand what money I need for what WHILE HIKING the Appalachian Trail.

* NOT including initial purchases or costs of:
CLOTHING
GEAR
HOME BILLS / Etc.
or TRAVEL to and from the trail *

What are the specifics that require money WHILE HIKING the entire 2184.2 miles of the Appalachian Trail? Anything that cost money during a thru-hike.

Updated List (with help from many, ty!)

ATM Charges
Batteries
Campsites & Shelters in the White Mountains
Clothing
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health)
First aide supplies
Food resupply
Fuel
Gear
Gear fixes
Hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.)
Laundry services / supplies
Lodging (hotels, hostels)
Mail drops (receiving)
Mailing bounce boxes
Mailing home supplies
Mailing postcards, gifts, etc...
Maps
Miscellaneous purchases (cards, books, etc)
Park Permits?
Phonecard / cell phone charges
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles
Town entertainment (movie, alcohol, etc.)

Any additions you can think of?

Thank you all,
~ Mark

TOMP
01-08-2012, 17:18
I find it hard to believe you cant find this info on here. This topic seems to come up about once a week. But here goes..
Food, fuel, hostels, time off in town, food bought in restaurants, replacing first aid supplies, gear replacements, batteries, mailing (bounce boxes and sending stuff home as well as to you on the trail), beer, In AWOLs book he went to the hospital and rented a car.

Most of these are not necessary except food and fuel but you should at least have a budget in place for emergencies.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 17:34
Thanks TOMP.

I just went back more than 2 months of roughly 200+ posts. If you can give me the link to a post answering WHAT specifically is money needed for, that'd be great!

jersey joe
01-08-2012, 17:39
Assuming you have your gear, the only thing you really NEED money for is food. You can probably hike the trail and spend about $1000 for food.

Trail Towns are the second expense. When you hike into town, you may want to grab a cheeseburger or wash your clothes.

Also, you might want to stay in a hostel or hotel, these cost money.

Most people here will set 3k as a floor. If you want to hike cheap, stay out of towns and you can hike the trail for under $1500. I did.

mountain squid
01-08-2012, 17:42
Here is what I posted yesterday, to the same question:

This is a topic that comes up often. Check my 'how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)' thread out. I've linked to several other threads concerning this very topic. You should get a good idea of how much might be needed.

But, easy answer is 'way more than you might think'. Having leftover funds will certainly be better than running out.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Papa D
01-08-2012, 18:31
Assuming you have your gear, the only thing you really NEED money for is food. You can probably hike the trail and spend about $1000 for food.

Trail Towns are the second expense. When you hike into town, you may want to grab a cheeseburger or wash your clothes.

Most people here will set 3k as a floor. If you want to hike cheap, stay out of towns and you can hike the trail for under $1500. I did.

Good post - this thread and ones like it are getting tiresome -- $1500 to $15,000 - it depends on who you are, your goals, your speed, your comfort level.
This is about it --but this thread will go on for pages of people saying the same thing.

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 18:46

Most people here will set 3k as a floor. If you want to hike cheap, stay out of towns and you can hike the trail for under $1500. I did. prices go up JOE, you hiked the trail how long ago?
prices are way up since then even. most cant hike that cheap, i think it could set them up for failure.
even if they can hike that cheap, lets hope they don't have any gear breakdowns

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 19:14
Good post - this thread and ones like it are getting tiresome -- $1500 to $15,000 - it depends on who you are, your goals, your speed, your comfort level.
This is about it --but this thread will go on for pages of people saying the same thing.

Nice papa!
YOU MISSED THE POINT.

And yes, I am delving through years worth of entries here and making a list of
WHAT MONEY IS NEEDED FOR SPECIFICALLY (must and optional I will determine later)
To come up with a financial understanding for MYSELF, MY HIKE.

If I MISS 2-10 things I don't know about, such as camping permits needed in certain state parks (which I keep reading about) yet no one mentions it and I don't plan on it, I could be hundreds of dollars off in just planning.

Oh, and before the wisdom comes to just plan for endless funds, that is not answering my question either.

So folks, please continue to list what you actually might need money for.
(And since times may change things easily, there may be costs today there wasn't 10 years ago.)

Once I get a comprehensive list, I will post it in a single post for others to "consider" when planning costs.

Thanks.

jj2044
01-08-2012, 19:18
When i did my thur in 04 which took 4 months i spend 2100 and could of done it for about 1500 if i would of stayed out of towns more, Crumb, you know some people like to hike, not get drunk and stay in towns every 2 or 3 days.... if you are on the trail to HIKE it can be done fairly cheap.

jj2044
01-08-2012, 19:20
sorry 02......

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 19:25
When i did my thur in 04 which took 4 months i spend 2100 and could of done it for about 1500 if i would of stayed out of towns more, Crumb, you know some people like to hike, not get drunk and stay in towns every 2 or 3 days.... if you are on the trail to HIKE it can be done fairly cheap. so you hiked 10 years ago, prices are still the same i'm sure. i wasn't a drinker when i hiked, 1-2 times i had a beer or two!

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 19:27
and the avg. hike is 5-6 months so the OP needs to have that info too
it will be cheaper to hike 4 months instead of 6 i agree

jj2044
01-08-2012, 19:28
Sorry i just realized that came off 'assholey-ish" i just meant that there are alot of reason to hike, some people enjoy the scocial part more then the hiking and that is 100 precent ok, alot people hike to to make friends and community that pops up around the trail. others are out there to be alone and get back to nature.... everyone has different reason and everyones thur cost a different amount.... if you only have 1500, you need to understand that, that mean you are stayin in the woods almost every single night, no beer. just basics.....

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 19:30
When i did my thur in 04 which took 4 months i spend 2100 and could of done it for about 1500 if i would of stayed out of towns more, Crumb, you know some people like to hike, not get drunk and stay in towns every 2 or 3 days.... if you are on the trail to HIKE it can be done fairly cheap. over my last two thruhikes my dog was a little older, so she had some pre-arranged days off. on those days i usually turned it up a little. i can and have hiked many 20's, a few 30's, 3-40's, 1-50
so yes I KNOW HOW TO HIKE TOO

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 19:33
Sorry i just realized that came off 'assholey-ish" i just meant that there are alot of reason to hike, some people enjoy the scocial part more then the hiking and that is 100 precent ok, alot people hike to to make friends and community that pops up around the trail. others are out there to be alone and get back to nature.... everyone has different reason and everyones thur cost a different amount.... if you only have 1500, you need to understand that, that mean you are stayin in the woods almost every single night, no beer. just basics.....NO PROBLEM i'm an *******, and i don't need anyone to tell me :-) over the years i have hiked a little bit of the social thing, mostly solo-with just my dog, did a pack-on white blaze thru, i did a thru with some blue blazing, a flip flop and much more.
toy2boy sorry for rambling, welcome to WB

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 19:43
Costs ($$$) of a thru-hike?

In planning my 2013 thru-hike, I am trying to understand what money I need for what? I scanned the boards, but couldn’t find this topic regarding what I’m asking. I have seen estimates between $1.50 - $3.00 a mile!

* NOT including GEAR or TRAVEL to and from the trail *

What are the specifics that require money while hiking the entire 2184.2 miles?
Please list or update with ANYTHING you don’t see listed.

Thank you all,
~ Markfuel purchasing
emergency gear replacement
mailing home postcards,film,etc...
occasional town meal
shower which is usually attached ed to a hostel/hotel cost
laundry
phonecard or cell phone charges
replacing first aid products(sun screen,mole skin,duct tape,etc...)
food resupply
possible ATM CHARGES
so many things--stay out of towns :-)
i never would but some pay for slacks and shuttles

Lone Wolf
01-08-2012, 19:49
Costs ($$$) of a thru-hike?

In planning my 2013 thru-hike, I am trying to understand what money I need for what? I scanned the boards, but couldn’t find this topic regarding what I’m asking. I have seen estimates between $1.50 - $3.00 a mile!

* NOT including GEAR or TRAVEL to and from the trail *

What are the specifics that require money while hiking the entire 2184.2 miles?
Please list or update with ANYTHING you don’t see listed.

Thank you all,
~ Mark5 grand after gear.

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 20:00
not everyone is a jersey joe(happy new year joe)
i think LW is right on!

leaftye
01-08-2012, 20:23
~$10 for on trail food. Do the math for 4500-6000 calories, it's expensive, especially when you consider foods that are dense in calories, are palatable in large quantities and the premium you'll pay in trail towns versus buying in bulk in big cities. The cost can be roughly the same if you do mail drops well. Add more for fuel.

New footwear every 300-500 miles unless you specifically have BOOTS with POLYURETHANE midsoles. Some people need special insoles too.

I use sock liners, and I need a new one every 200 miles.

Toilet paper, wet wipes, soap, hand sanitizer, q-tips and other hygiene products. Maybe the occasional nail clippers.

Every week or two you'll stay in town. Maybe it's a hostel or a motel. Maybe you skip town occasionally. I'd average this to $30 a week. You'll probably eat there too, and I don't want to count this against on trail food, so let's say another $30 for in-town food.

You might need to buy batteries.

Add additional costs for getting rides, buying occasional comfort items like books, mailing excess items ahead or home.

Then there's switching out gear that has failed or isn't as good as you'd like. This is big problem for inexperienced hikers that aren't familiar with their gear and either get gear that's too cheap or too heavy.

Do a spreadsheet to figure out the total costs.

leaftye
01-08-2012, 20:26
so many things--stay out of towns :-)

This is hardest for inexperienced hikers. I imagine that's for several reasons. They're not trail fit, so they're in a lot of pain and need time off to heal. Or maybe they're still acclimating to trail life. Or maybe they don't really love it. Whatever it is, experienced hikers have either adapted, or were among the few that really belong on the trail.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 20:32
Thanks guys, this is helping! I am concerned over money, but also what that money is going towards.

Anyone know of camping permit fees?
Any other information is appreciated.

Thank you!

Papa D
01-08-2012, 20:47
Nice papa!
YOU MISSED THE POINT.

And yes, I am delving through years worth of entries here and making a list of
WHAT MONEY IS NEEDED FOR SPECIFICALLY (must and optional I will determine later)
To come up with a financial understanding for MYSELF, MY HIKE.

If I MISS 2-10 things I don't know about, such as camping permits needed in certain state parks (which I keep reading about) yet no one mentions it and I don't plan on it, I could be hundreds of dollars off in just planning.

Oh, and before the wisdom comes to just plan for endless funds, that is not answering my question either.

So folks, please continue to list what you actually might need money for.
(And since times may change things easily, there may be costs today there wasn't 10 years ago.)

Once I get a comprehensive list, I will post it in a single post for others to "consider" when planning costs.

Thanks.

Oh, sorry - I guess I should have read 10Ks post on reading comprehension last week -- - thought this was just another "what is this going to cost me post" -- I'll tell you the very most expensive thing that I have to deal with (doing long sections) and if / when I get to do another thru-hike and that is the cost of managing my business affairs at home via remote control -- paying someone else to do things I would do when at home -- like cleaning the gutters out, paying household bills, raking the leaves, and other random maintenance items. For me, the hike itself is not nearly as expensive than the cost of dealing with me being gone.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 22:47
New list at top, or bottom. :)
Sorry, my first time posting a thread, cutting out redundant entries now.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 22:54
I added hygiene products.

leaftye
01-08-2012, 23:03
Are you counting clothing as gear?

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 23:07
Yes, but I should have stated that. I was trying to avoid everyone detailing gear, and should have also added clothing.

SO, clothing repair, and clothing purchases should be added above thanks! As one might need/want to purchase that on the trail.

Blissful
01-08-2012, 23:20
Money comes up a lot here.

Approx $4,000 for a thru hike, not counting gear, is what it cost me

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 23:28
I appreciate the input here!

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 23:41
Blissful, when did you hike the AT, and would you add anything to the above? (and not a third showers, ha.)

leaftye
01-08-2012, 23:48
I assume you're only counting direct costs, not other costs that still take place like auto insurance, medical insurance, rent for your home or storage unit, memberships, etc.

I'd count hostels and hotels as the same thing: lodging. Sometimes you spend more, sometimes less.

I wouldn't know how to quantify it, but money is spent on trail town fun too. Maybe that's a movie, or drinks, a book...who knows.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 23:56
What are the specifics that require money WHILE HIKING the entire 2184.2 miles of the Appalachian Trail? NOT to include all gear, clothing, business or home expenses, etc.

Anything that cost money during a thru-hike.

Updated List

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health)
First aide supplies
Food resupply
Fuel
Gear
Gear fixes
Mail drops (receiving)
Mailing bounce boxes
Mailing home supplies
Maps
Park Permits?
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles

Thanks!

Ender
01-09-2012, 10:00
Campsites and shelters up in the White Mountains area cost $... a bunch of hikers get up there and are surprised by that and it really screws up their budget.

Captain_Slo
01-10-2012, 12:09
Does this seem like a reasonable monthly budget?

Food: $300
Transportation: $45
Gear + misc supplies (batteries, toiletries): $90
Town (hostel/mail): $70

$505/month

Transient Being
01-10-2012, 12:11

$505/month

No. Food will be more like $20 per day. You're gonna be consuming around 6k calories, hitting up restaurants in towns.

Captain_Slo
01-10-2012, 12:20
I figure $10/day on food...that's about 30%more than I spend at home (I'm a grad student, I eat pretty much a trail diet on a regular basis) $20 would definitely provide wiggle room but I can't imagine spending more than double what I spend at home on the trail. Holy cow! Thanks for your input. I wonder what other folks' average food cost is?

jersey joe
01-10-2012, 12:40
prices go up JOE, you hiked the trail how long ago?
prices are way up since then even. most cant hike that cheap, i think it could set them up for failure.
even if they can hike that cheap, lets hope they don't have any gear breakdowns
Crumb, I'll be the first to concede that my hike isn't the average hike.
I hiked in 3 1/2 months, most will take longer and cost will go up over time.
I also took zero zeros. That isn't the norm either.

I guess I always like to chime in when this topic comes up and I hear $5,000 as the cost of a thru hike. While this is good advice for the average thru hiker, I think it is important to point out that it can be done for less for the right person.

As for prices going up, I don't think the food prices have gone up too much in the past 10 years, especially the way I did it(buying in bulk and mail dropping) Postage may have gone up?!?

TOMP
01-10-2012, 12:59

$505/month

What are you spending 45 on for transport each month. Probably 100 to get there and 100 to get home depending on where you live.

Captain_Slo
01-10-2012, 13:08
shuttles? rides? That's $1.50/day or $11.25/week. I have zero idea what a average ride to/from town is.

Traveling to/from the trail will be by plane and is not included in my monthly budget...

Panzer1
01-10-2012, 13:10
The HAVES will spend more,
The HAVE-NOTS will spend less.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-10-2012, 13:17
Its like asking "how much does it cost to go on vacation?"Well, if your wealthy, you can spend a lot on vacation. If you are poor, you will find a way to vacation for less.
So, its like asking "how much does it cost to go on vacation".
Panzer

Captain_Slo
01-10-2012, 13:19
but i think it's also valid to ask "what did YOU spend?"

Specifically: what's the range in prices for shuttle to/from the trail?

brian039
01-10-2012, 13:31
Anyone know of camping permit fees?

Thank you!

Unless you have family or something in the area you're pretty much going to have to pay to stay in Baxter State Park. You can avoid paying the fees in the Whites but it requires you to walk about a half-mile down hill to the free camping spots which means you're walking a half-mile uphill in the morning. You can stealth camp in the Whites as long as you are below treeline but it is extremely difficult to find a place to set up a tent. There are a few other random spots that charge fees but you can easily just find a different spot to camp.

Jeff
01-10-2012, 13:48
Another reason to have some extra $$$ put away...in case you have to get home for a family emergency. Happens to several hikers every year. If you have not budgeted an "emergency fund", a trip home could end your hike.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 13:55
I figure $10/day on food...that's about 30%more than I spend at home (I'm a grad student, I eat pretty much a trail diet on a regular basis) $20 would definitely provide wiggle room but I can't imagine spending more than double what I spend at home on the trail. Holy cow! Thanks for your input. I wonder what other folks' average food cost is?30% more per day?, you'll eat 3 times more on trail than at school. most college kids eat like crap/cheap don't they? town stops will be more like a college student going home for a holiday MEAL at the parents exspense
sorry i meant at the parents house. jersey joe i agree it can be done cheap!
can you believe snicker bars are about 50cents more EACH,than back in 2002-03 :-)

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 14:03
3-4-5-6-7 month long hike? makes a big difference i would guess.

WingedMonkey
01-10-2012, 14:09
As for prices going up, I don't think the food prices have gone up too much in the past 10 years, especially the way I did it(buying in bulk and mail dropping)

A few weeks ago I was checking an old backpack shopping list I found when cleaning out some stuff.
I'm too lazy to post a complete listing here, but I was amazed at how much standard items from bags of M&M's (for making gorp), pop tarts, Lipton/Knorr dinners and so on have shrunk in size/weight.

The same is true of standard groceries we use at home, this is the practice over the years to decrease size of product while seeming to maintain price.

First they shrink it, then they slowly increase the price.
At the rate things are going it will take three pop-tarts to equal the calories of what use to be two.

Please note pop-tarts are for reference, I seldom use them any more, but I can see how those stocking up at gas station have little choice.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 14:19
A few weeks ago I was checking an old backpack shopping list I found when cleaning out some stuff.
I'm too lazy to post a complete listing here, but I was amazed at how much standard items from bags of M&M's (for making gorp), pop tarts, Lipton/Knorr dinners and so on have shrunk in size/weight.

The same is true of standard groceries we use at home, this is the practice over the years to decrease size of product while seeming to maintain price.

First they shrink it, then they slowly increase the price.
At the rate things are going it will take three pop-tarts to equal the calories of what use to be two.

Please note pop-tarts are for reference, I seldom use them any more, but I can see how those stocking up at gas station have little choice.Great thoughts WM, me and the ole' lady talk about that at home all the time, the portions are definitely getting smaller. food stores,fast food restraunts everywhere and everything. they even split the king size snicker into 2 pieces now, giving you convienence, NO they probably gave you less candybar

Captain_Slo
01-10-2012, 14:23
Great thoughts WM, me and the ole' lady talk about that at home all the time, the portions are definitely getting smaller. food stores,fast food restraunts everywhere and everything. they even split the king size snicker into 2 pieces now, giving you convienence, NO they probably gave you less candybar

but greater surface area = more chocolate

Toy2boy
01-10-2012, 14:43
In attempts to keep this on track:

Updated List

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health)
First aide supplies (sun screen, mole skin, etc...)
Food resupply
Fuel
Gear
Gear fixes
Mail drops (receiving)
Mailing bounce boxes
Mailing home supplies
Maps
Park Permits?
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles

Thank you for your time!

WingedMonkey
01-10-2012, 15:00
In attempts to keep this on track:

Updated List

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health)
Food resupply
Fuel
Gear
Gear fixes
Mail drops (receiving)
Mailing bounce boxes
Mailing home supplies
Maps
Park Permits?
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles

Thank you for your time!

I don't think I understand the purpose of your list. None of the thru-hikers that were successful this past season or any other will match the same list.
Some things none of them used, some used a lot more of one item than than other hikers. some carried maps, some mooched trail information. Some hit every town some skipped every town.
Other posts give ball park figures of totals spent, and even those differ widely. Are you afraid you will forget to budget something?
What are you trying to accomplish?

jersey joe
01-10-2012, 15:12
How about $8(more now?) to stay in a shelter in the whites? I didn't pay that fee at all, I did work for stay(planting trees and such).

jj2044
01-10-2012, 15:27
Toy2boy, i looked at your list some you can get rid of , or make the cost of them alot less..... ATM charges, find a bank that refunds atm charges, i have USAA and they refund upto 25 or 50 (cant remember which)bucks a month in atm fees. Mail Drops, i dont know what your planning, but i wouldnt go crazy with them alot of people end up paying more over all and losing time becuase they have to wait in a town for the post office to open. and then i read about a couple on here that set up like 50+ mail drops then quit after a week or so.... alot people seem to think that buy before hand saves alot of money and for the MOST part it really doesnt when you add in shipping costs. Maps, I dont think you need, i didnt use them, get a good guide book and you will be fine....Park permits i dont remember paying park permits..... its been 10 years, so maybe i have just forgot, but if i did, it couldnt of been much.

Toy2boy
01-10-2012, 15:28
What I AM accomplishing is putting together a list of what MAY cost money while on a thru-hike. Data proceeds knowledge which proceeds planning. The "just have $5,000 or more" doesn't do me any good. I want to know the WHAT FOR and I am getting a great idea now.

Toy2boy
01-10-2012, 15:31
Thank you for the input jj204. Understanding the WHAT will help me with planning general strategies.

fadeleaf
01-10-2012, 18:17
Mine totaled about $2500 after initial gear costs.
About $1300 of that was food, $600 gear replacements, $300 hostels/lodging, and $300 misc (shuttles, laundry, shipping costs, campsite fees...)

I honestly didn't think I was being that frugal, I just wasn't treating it like a vacation. I was on the trail 159 days total, including 20 or so zeros/neros.

Toy2boy
01-10-2012, 18:32
About $1300 of that was food, $600 gear replacements, $300 hostels/lodging, and $300 misc (shuttles, laundry, shipping costs, campsite fees...)

I honestly didn't think I was being that frugal, I just wasn't treating it like a vacation. I was on the trail 159 days total, including 20 or so zeros/neros.

So, you ate for under $10 a day, and how old were you Fadeleaf when you didn't have your vacation? :)

Captain_Slo
01-10-2012, 18:38

This is super helpful. Anyone else?

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 18:50

I honestly didn't think I was being that frugal, I just wasn't treating it like a vacation. I was on the trail 159 days total, including 20 or so zeros/neros.fadeleaf, did you find yourself using hikerboxes very often?
compared to a 1,500.00 hike you lived it up :-)

Smooth & Wasabi
01-10-2012, 19:50
I didn't notice if someone addressed it but VT does have some caretaker sites requiring payment. I believe they have a deal for thru-hikers where you can camp for a certain time period at any of them for a minimal fee but I don't remember specifics. Very minimal compared to NH but you seem to be looking for specific details.

Toy2boy
01-10-2012, 20:02
I found this good information after being informed HERE about possible permits needed -

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

(http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits)

Jeff
01-10-2012, 20:15
I didn't notice if someone addressed it but VT does have some caretaker sites requiring payment. I believe they have a deal for thru-hikers where you can camp for a certain time period at any of them for a minimal fee but I don't remember specifics. Very minimal compared to NH but you seem to be looking for specific details.

Yes, you pay $5 one time and that gets you thru all the pay sites on the AT in Vermont. Not a bad deal compared to New Hampshire. But, for NOBO's it's the first time since Springer that you have to pay to sleep in a shelter...so there's plenty of grumbling about it.

Lots of spots to sleep for free in Vermont so the complaining is just noise.

Theosus
01-10-2012, 21:50
The Incredible Shrinking Food Products is a discussion we have a lot on the XM fan boards... Sugar, now sold in 4 pound bags, ice cream is no longer half gallon, it's 1.5 quarts, and on and on. Hershey bars have 25% less chocolate in them than they used to (same footprint, but thinner).Look at cereal boxes. Sure they are tall and wide like they used to be, but they are half as thick. It's a joke. Never thought of pop tarts. I guess if they could figure out how to get away from gallons of milk they would... Leave our portions alone. Just raise the price....

JAK
01-10-2012, 21:58

I honestly didn't think I was being that frugal, I just wasn't treating it like a vacation. I was on the trail 159 days total, including 20 or so zeros/neros.Very well done. Thanks for the info.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 02:51
[QUOTE=Captain_Slo;1237459]shuttles? rides? That's $1.50/day or $11.25/week. I have zero idea what a average ride to/from town is.

QUOTE]

I think hitching is free, are there shuttles everywhere? Your going into town every night?

TOMP
01-11-2012, 02:55
The Incredible Shrinking Food Products is a discussion we have a lot on the XM fan boards... Sugar, now sold in 4 pound bags, ice cream is no longer half gallon, it's 1.5 quarts, and on and on. Hershey bars have 25% less chocolate in them than they used to (same footprint, but thinner).Look at cereal boxes. Sure they are tall and wide like they used to be, but they are half as thick. It's a joke. Never thought of pop tarts. I guess if they could figure out how to get away from gallons of milk they would... Leave our portions alone. Just raise the price....

Its not just about price, if they reduce the portions slightly no one notices, this allows them to alter the nutrition facts to make the item appear to be healthier when in reality its just less food. Most snacks and fatty foods have been doing this for the past 20 years or so.

Captain_Slo
01-11-2012, 10:00
I think hitching is free, are there shuttles everywhere? Your going into town every night?

ummm, that's a creative way to reinterpret the question. "what's the typical going rate for a shuttle?"

Zipper
01-12-2012, 00:53
I'll preface this by saying that I didn't hold back in any way spending on my hike. I had saved a lot of money and part of what I decided was that I'd indulge myself pretty much any way I wanted, especially when it came to food and lodging. I did decide not to drink, so I had no alcohol expenses - alcohol in town (or on the trail) adds up quickly! I'll leave food out of this list - there's so much, and that was my greatest expense. Ice cream, pizza, burgers, fries, candy bars - plus all of the camping food - they add up. I indulged in one Mountain House per resupply, but clearly that wasn't necessary. I couldn't believe the amount of food I was eating by about 3/4 of the way through the hike. Plan to spend on food - you'll want to have the luxury of having at least some treats when you're hungry, which will eventually be all the time.

I hiked in 2009 and I kept track of all I spent, so here goes:

Fees in Vermont and Whites: $50 - Stratton Pond and Little Rock Pond, Kinsman Pond, Mizpah campsite, Imp, Speck Pond, Katahdin Stream. As people have stated, many of these fees could have been avoided by camping elsewhere or doing work for stay, etc.

Lodging: $2274 --39 nights (!!!) I was really living it up, I guess, but it didn't feel that way at the time - it felt just right. This cost could be brought down to zero - I met two hikers 700 miles in who had slept in their tent every night and never took a zero. I stayed in B&Bs in towns where very cheap or practically free hostels were available - and I stayed by myself. So I would cut this cost way way way down unless you plan to live it up like I did!

Postage: about $200. I sent a bounce box ahead (sending it to B&Bs or outfitters rather than the post office - much better hours for pick up!) I kept refill ibuprofen, q-tips, band aids - plus soap, shampoo, town clothes, cards to send to my husband, food I didn't want to carry until the next town but wanted later - all kinds of stuff. But this is also pretty much unnecessary. It was a luxury. I had no medical expenses - lucky! - except for purchasing a thermometer in Harpers Ferry to see if I had a fever, which I did. Ibuprofen was about the only thing I consumed. One or two a day before bed so that my sore feet and legs wouldn't wake me up.

Laundry: $5. Sometimes it was free with hostel stays, I also had friends and family along the trail where I sometimes did laundry, and I think some of the laundry fees are absorbed in my lodging fees and I didn't separate them. So I would increase this amount if you plan to use a lot of laundromats.

Fuel: $32 - I think I might be missing a couple here, and this doesn't count the ones I started with. But fuel lasts a surprisingly long time! I used canister fuel with a sno-peak gigabyte stove. If you have an alcohol stove your fuel might be even cheaper - I'm not sure.

Gear I bought while on the trail included a new pack 500 miles in (I didn't like the one I started with), 3 pairs of shoes, three pairs of socks, a sleeping bag liner, new pants, new raingear, and new superfeet insoles. Most people probably didn't replace this much and stuck with what they had. The only thing you will definitely need to replace are your shoes. Probably more than once. I didn't need to make any repairs to my tent or pack - the only repairs I made were small sewing repairs to clothes and that was free. I replaced my pole tips a lot (I'm one of the few who doesn't like to make holes all over everything with sharp pole tips, and also stab a zillion leaves) but I didn't have to replace my poles at all. Black Diamond Flicklock all the way!

I hope these details are helpful to the poster and anyone else trying to figure it out - but really a thru hike can be done very cheaply if you're willing to eat a lot of oatmeal and sleep in the woods almost all the time.

Best wishes!
Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA '09

Toy2boy
01-12-2012, 00:56
Outstanding information Zipper, much appreciated!

kevperro
01-12-2012, 01:35
About $1K per month is a good estimate. As you can see you have extremes at both ends. The year I did the northern half I knew of a guy who saved Marlboro cigarette cartons to pay for all his gear. He trail name was "Marlboro Man" because all his gear was branded that way. He carried a squeeze bottle of margerine for calories and mooched food whenever he could.

Obviously that is extreme and one I wouldn't advoate. This is the experience of a lifetime for most people. Make sure it is properly financed because having time in town isn't only fun, it can be an important way to re-charge batteries and let your body recover.

Toy2boy
01-12-2012, 11:14
Updated List of what MAY cost $$$ DURING a thru-hike:

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health)
Food resupply
Fuel
Gear
Gear fixes
Lodging (hotels, hostels, campsites, cabins, shelters, lean-tos / permits)
Mail drops (receiving)
Mailing bounce boxes, supplies home, incoming supplies/food, postcards, gifts, etc...
Maps
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles

Thank you for your time!

Seatbelt
01-12-2012, 13:54
[QUOTE=kevperro;1238370] He carried a squeeze bottle of margerine for calories
Someone help me understand this statement please, I'm fairly new at this. How does a squeeze bottle for calories help??

CrumbSnatcher
01-12-2012, 13:55
squeeze butter in all his meals or a nasty ass slurpy shake :-(

Lone Wolf
01-12-2012, 13:57
[QUOTE=kevperro;1238370] He carried a squeeze bottle of margerine for calories
Someone help me understand this statement please, I'm fairly new at this. How does a squeeze bottle for calories help??back in the day just about every one carried this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Parkay-Vegetable-Oil-Spread-Squeeze-12-oz/10447925

Seatbelt
01-12-2012, 14:13
[QUOTE=Seatbelt;1238490]back in the day just about every one carried this

Ok,got-it, thanks!

George
01-12-2012, 14:26
the variable that is unpredictable (a medical event) can make all the other costs insignificant, food for 2 years can be less than a few days in the hospital, even for an issue with a short enough recovery to return and complete a hike

that being said I will go with the LW # of 5000$ other than a real emergency, if you start with 5K and cannot finish because of money than you lack the ability to plan your way out of a wet paper sack

WingedMonkey
01-12-2012, 14:32
[QUOTE=Seatbelt;1238490]back in the day just about every one carried this

And notice it is only 12 oz. now?

kevperro
01-14-2012, 02:32
LOL... yea he would slurp it down strait. I couldn't eat enough food. I remember being in a trail town and going out for all you can eat Chinese. Then walking back to the hostel which was about 1 mile from the Chinese place stopping and getting a Big Mac, fries etc.., then eating half a gallon of ice cream back at the hostel. The amount of food you can eat is simply amazing.

I didn't budget carefully but had enough money that I didn't have to worry. I didn't spend like crazy, I'd share hotel rooms in town when we had a zero day but went out to bars and had a good time when a group of guys/gals wanted to go. I started by myself and didn't really anticipate how social it would be. I was SB without the thru-hiking crowd and there was still plenty of socialization and time to party.

LDog
01-14-2012, 10:23
$600 gear replacements,

That struck me as high, tho I can imagine a good chunk of that could be new shoes ... Did you have to/want to make a major purchase? Or does this represent several small things?