PDA

View Full Version : 2012 BMT Guidebook done and going to the publisher - ideas for 2014?

SGT Rock
01-08-2012, 17:59
BMT hikers, I just sent the 2012-13 guidebook to the publisher. I expect sometime around the end of January I may have the new books. So that means it is time to start working the 2014-15 book. I've got a few ideas:

1. Based on questions from hikers over on WB, I'm thinking of adding a couple of bypass routes for places where the water is known to get high: Slickrock Creek and Noland Creek. Just a small map and terrain profile for them. Good idea? Bad idea?

2. Making the book just slightly smaller so that it fits into a quart sized zip lock - it is just a little to large for that now. Good idea? Bad idea?

3. I'm also thinking about including a short map and profile showing the possibility to take the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail to Fontana Village for re-supply instead of walking the other way around to Deals Gap and then trying to get a ride. Good idea? Bad Idea?

4. Another idea I plan to start working is to make the GPS track available and also include waypoints that will match up with the points listed in the guidebook.

Jeff
01-08-2012, 21:47
Do you already include GPS waypoints to the various trailheads??

SGT Rock
01-08-2012, 22:11
Yes I do.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

SonrisaJo
01-09-2012, 13:31
These all sound like really good ideas. I am particularly interested in the Fontana Village map! I was super impressed with the 2011 guide; can't wait to see the next editions! Good work!

Bati
01-10-2012, 09:23
One and two are not good ideas- they are Excellent ideas!

For three, you might also include info on the water shuttle, though they seemed to have issues with the idea of picking up someone who hadn't been dropped off in the park first. Too me, Deal's Gap is too early to resupply unless you're also planning on Cherokee. By moving the resupply north a bit, you'll end up carrying less weight.

The GPS points would be very useful if they were chosen to assist at the places where the trail goes onto or off a forest road, or intersects with multiple trails. The BMT is rather unique in that various roads/trails are easy to find, but figuring out if you're on the correct one is difficult.

SGT Rock
01-10-2012, 10:04
For three, you might also include info on the water shuttle, though they seemed to have issues with the idea of picking up someone who hadn't been dropped off in the park first. Too me, Deal's Gap is too early to resupply unless you're also planning on Cherokee. By moving the resupply north a bit, you'll end up carrying less weight.

You know I've never thought of that at all, but it is a great idea.

10-K
01-10-2012, 18:32
What is the water shuttle?

SGT Rock
01-10-2012, 22:02
A boat that will take you from Fontana Marina to places along the Lakeshore trail So say someone wanted to do just a section of the Lakeshore and not bother to hike in or out, they could get a shuttle to somewhere like 90, Olie Cove, or a few of the other campsites along the trail. You could also take the boat shuttle across to 90 after resupplying at Fontana Village if you didn't want to go to Twentymile to enter the park and didn't want to take the AT up to Shuckstack to get back on the BMT.

10-K
01-10-2012, 23:05
Oh now that's cool. I had no idea.

Are all the stores along the BMT pretty much closed for the season - probably with the exception of the little store with the post office (at the south end of the John Muir trail)...?

And the store around the 16-17 mile mark is closed for good?

SGT Rock
01-10-2012, 23:36
Unless they find a buyer they are going to stay closed.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll