PDA

View Full Version : what do you listen to during your hikes????

d.o.c
01-08-2012, 19:13
we all listen to music but alot of us i notice listen to ipods when we are in the forest so my question is whats on in your head phones????

well past few outings for me have been Railroad Earth, Del McCoury band, john coltrane and some phish.. i hiked past a girl going the oposite direction didnt stop to ask but i wondered for a min what she was listening to..:)

dshideler
01-08-2012, 19:14
....nature....

Northern Lights
01-08-2012, 19:23
....nature....

Me too....

d.o.c
01-08-2012, 19:26
i shoulda said besides that i listen to the sound of the forest as well..

Summit
01-08-2012, 19:27
....nature....Me three . . . .

Summit
01-08-2012, 19:29
i shoulda said besides that i listen to the sound of the forest as well..I love music but I rarely ever desire to listen to it while hiking/camping.

Megapixel
01-08-2012, 19:30
Ben Harper.

rusty bumper
01-08-2012, 19:34
Make it four.

lemon b
01-08-2012, 19:36
Once i awhile I bring music for stops. Roy Buchanan and Stringbean.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2012, 19:42
....nature....that gets old. drive by truckers! hell yeah!

MuddyWaters
01-08-2012, 19:51
Banjos.....

Spokes
01-08-2012, 20:03
The voices inside my head.....

carpattack
01-08-2012, 20:09
Different podcasts with some music mixed in

Hikes in Rain
01-08-2012, 20:19
Birds. The trickle of springs and streams. Wind whistling through the trees. Footsteps on the trail.

Papa D
01-08-2012, 20:56
I love the sounds of the woods - crickets and cicadas, a pileated woodpecker, the sound of water flowing over rocks, snow thumping to the ground off of a tree, whatever ... even the sound of a freight train in the distance. This is what I always listen to when hiking but I do have a new habit (something that I never would have thought of thru-hiking). I carry an i-pod mini - it weighs like 1 ounce. I love listening to jazz or alt country (Son-Volt, Railroad Earth, Neil Young) or really all sorts of things for a little bit in the evening before I go to sleep -- it's really quite nice. It's also wonderful in shelters as it drowns out any excess chatter. I don't do it every night -- the night sounds of the woods are great too -- but its good.

d.o.c
01-08-2012, 21:03
that gets old. drive by truckers! hell yeah! i second this ... i need to get some more truckers on this ipod

strollingalong
01-08-2012, 21:04
why did all you guys put nature on your ipods? sounds pretty redundant to me

SpecialK
01-08-2012, 21:06
NATURE

Me 5

DLANOIE
01-08-2012, 21:16
Nature. I havent had portable music since the walkman.

smithjerd
01-08-2012, 21:55
Nature, particularly birds. But occasionally I find myself counting steps without knowing what number I started on or for what purpose. When things get tough, I chant a mantra in rhythm with my trekking poles -- "Toward my Goal. Toward my Goal . . . .". :)

Pollen
01-08-2012, 21:57
the sounds of nature

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2012, 22:03
I hear dead people.

Hooch
01-08-2012, 22:51
I don't listen to a lot of music when I hike, but when I do, it's something loud. Bad Brains, 24-7 Spyz, Living colour, Foo Fighters, Social Distortion, Anthrax, Black Flag, Ministry, Nirvana, POD, Primus, Rage Against The Machine, Them Crooked Vultures, Southern Culture on the Skids, System of a Down, Queens of the Stone Age, and X all come to mind for starters.

strollingalong
01-09-2012, 00:21
the question was what do you have in your earphones... not: I'm better than you because I don't listen to music. now paraphrase.

rocketsocks
01-09-2012, 00:25
I never had a Walkman,and only got a hand me down ipod from my daughter last year.When I'm hiking i don't usually listen to anything,but when I'm walking around the hood (Every day)It's mostly books anymore.Kinda got burn out on the music.Last book was "the Perfect storm"very good by the way.and before that "longitude"about the adventure and evolution of the clock.also a very good listen.Other titles but not limited to "between a rock and a hard place" "A walk in the woods" "Moby dick" "A History of Time" "Jaws" " and"Undaunted Courage",just to name a few.

JAK
01-09-2012, 04:58
good reading there

Old Hiker
01-09-2012, 08:18
An I-what???

Summit
01-09-2012, 08:34
the question was what do you have in your earphones... not: I'm better than you because I don't listen to music. now paraphrase.Are you in charge of WB detention hall? :)

d.o.c
01-09-2012, 08:41
Are you in charge of WB detention hall? :) na but if strollingalong was alot of yall would have failed:)

Hooch
01-09-2012, 11:20
the question was what do you have in your earphones... not: I'm better than you because I don't listen to music. now paraphrase.

Are you in charge of WB detention hall? :)He's right.

brian039
01-09-2012, 13:48
Nature must have hated me, the only sounds of nature I would get is gnats swarming in my ears, crows, and red squirrels. Loons and Woodthrushes are cool but you always hear them in the evening and that was when I was at camp. I do not like Whippoorwills, I cursed these creatures. I carried an AM/FM radio and listened to what ever stations I could get. MLB baseball at night-time was the ultimate listening experience especially if I could get a Braves game.

d.o.c
01-09-2012, 13:50
^hike to a ball game that sounds cool.. only till a stranger sees you throw your treking poles when your team loses and you start shouting at the chipmonks for looking at you in this time of rage:)

Lemni Skate
01-09-2012, 14:06
I never listen to music when I hike because I listen to it so much at other times. I have toyed with the idea of listening to this list of music if I ever thru hike. http://rateyourmusic.com/list/mattymath/over_5000_great_songs_from_rock_and_closely_relate d_genres_

Lemni Skate
01-09-2012, 14:09
356 hours of music on that list. It would require almost two hours of listening a day on a 180 day thru-hike to listen to every song.

d.o.c
01-09-2012, 15:05
ha thats neat..^

Slo-go'en
01-09-2012, 15:14
Last year I loaded my MP3 with lots of Blue Grass. Seemed approperate for the Appalachians.

mikec
01-09-2012, 15:15
Nature. But I do listen to football games if hiking on a Saturday or Sunday.

fireneck
01-09-2012, 15:23
i second this ... i need to get some more truckers on this ipod

One of my professor just got me into them! I too need more of their tunes.

I don't listen to music much while hiking. Before I go to bed I usually do.

bamboo bob
01-09-2012, 15:23
No music. I've never been good with machinery.

rocketsocks
01-09-2012, 17:31
No music. I've never been good with machinery.So.... who's steering the computer?

Mr. Tea
01-09-2012, 17:41
we all listen to music but alot of us i notice listen to ipods when we are in the forest so my question is whats on in your head phones????

well past few outings for me have been Railroad Earth, Del McCoury band, john coltrane and some phish.. i hiked past a girl going the oposite direction didnt stop to ask but i wondered for a min what she was listening to..:) Good choice! I listen to the Grateful Dead, Iron and Wine, Band of Horses, the Fray, RailRoad Earth, Gov't Mule, and a bunch of others as well

Theosus
01-09-2012, 21:06
I usually listen to a variety on strolls through the woods, most often only in one ear. I like a little situational awareness. I love trance, rock and classical. No rap or country though... I have around 600 songs or so. If i hike a section, I'll probably need around four pounds of batteries (or an iPod nano).

hikerboy57
01-09-2012, 21:16
i listen for the silence

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2012, 21:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eStCSUBJXAM&feature=relmfu

Yea I know I am going to pay for this ... but you asked and I guess I am going to reveal something about myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiHr02V9sRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfY9BJaGzEU&feature=relmfu

Watch out do this full screen - from Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIxrezUdw6M&feature=relmfu

more to come

theoilman
01-09-2012, 22:23
i listen for the silence

AMEN!

There is plenty to hear in nature, just listen for it. If your ears are plugged full of other noise, you'll never know what is there! Enjoy it!

LIhikers
01-09-2012, 23:59
I don't carry any kind of music player.
The ringing in my ears from tinnitus is already loud enough to drown out quiet and soft sounds.

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 00:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mylLrzArCHE i like to hear some xavier rudd out there alot as well.

Smooth & Wasabi
01-10-2012, 00:11
I don't listen to music while hiking, sometimes skiing. If I did it would definately be Old Crow Medicine Show and Yonder Mountain String Band among others.

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 00:16
yonder is a must

prain4u
01-10-2012, 00:17
I like listening to nature and/or silence as I actually hike.

However, at "bedtime", I often (but not always) take a couple of Benadryl a half hour before going into my hammock. (I have allergies). When I get into my hammock, I put the "ear buds" from my radio into my ears and I try to listen primarily to weather (or possibly news, and/or whatever music I can hear). I may even listen to radio "static" ("white noise"). Listening to the weather report often helps me to be better prepared for the next day of hiking or for that storm that is expected to hit overnight.

With enough Benadryl in my system--and with the ear buds putting pleasant sounds into my ears--I usually don't hear any bears, wolves, Big Foot, loud mice, falling branches, screeching birds. people who snore, herds of deer running through my campsite, boogey men or monsters.

It is my opinion, that if you can't hear the boogey man or Big Foot--he can't hurt you! (Right?). And, even if it CAN hurt you, you will probably be sound asleep until long after it is all over.

Benadryl and ear buds are my friends!

Tinker
01-10-2012, 00:26
....nature....

How many is that now?

Oh, I sometimes bring a guitar.

DeerPath
01-10-2012, 11:34
Anamial sounds.

Blue Jay
01-10-2012, 12:59
:banana
I love those ear bud things. It makes it sooo much easier to sneek up and snatch their picinc baskets and/or food bags. Smarter than the average hiker, Boo Boo
:banana

Rain Man
01-10-2012, 13:56
what do you listen to during your hikes???? we all listen to music ....

Asking what we listen to, then assuming it's only music, is a lot like the assumption in the old question "have you stopped stealing from the church collection plate yet?" False premises do not a valid question found.

IF I listen to anything on the AT, it is mostly likely audio books, with the possible instance of some "important" (none of them are) ball game, if my college team is being broadcast locally.

That's if you see me with ear buds. Mostly, you won't, though. I'm out to hike and enjoy the out-of-doors.

Rain:sunMan

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 20:54
yeah i should have paid more attention in english class but its not hard to tell i just wanna know about the music people listen to when they hike... we all listen to nature im pretty sure thats a reason we all hit the woods for, but after a while when u hit the white blazes a few times a week cause where you live... ipods happen. so i wanna know whats in your head phones???

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 20:54
i need to look into these audio books..

Theosus
01-10-2012, 20:57
I don't carry any kind of music player.The ringing in my ears from tinnitus is already loud enough to drown out quiet and soft sounds.I hear you there. I hear you with a irritating wheeeeeeeeeeee in the background. I have to turn the iPod up just loud enough to drown out the ringing.

seminoles
01-10-2012, 22:02
NOTHING! I listen to nature.

Papa D
01-10-2012, 22:09
Owls, coyotes, trains in the distance, and Son Volt - I like Yonder and Railroad Earth but for you that are yet familiar with Jay Farrar and Son Volt - here is a little teaser:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYoidn4QRMI

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 22:15
cool share^

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 22:24
I don't carry any kind of music player.
The ringing in my ears from tinnitus is already loud enough to drown out quiet and soft sounds.

Stuff you all ready know....

What causes Tinnitus?
Most tinnitus comes from damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. Advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve damage, hearing loss and tinnitus. Younger people (and certainly those addicted to ear buds on MP3 players) who are exposed to loud noise have an increased risk of tinnitus and often damaged hearing as well. Some people may experience “subjective tinnitus,” the noise that only they can hear. Some causes, such as a plug of wax in the ear canal, might contribute to temporary tinnitus. Stiffening of the middle ear bones can also cause this symptom. Tinnitus can also be caused by allergy, high or low blood pressure, a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the head or neck, and a variety of inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants and aspirin. If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in relation to your size.

and Stress!

STUFF you don't know....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdwcy8xrao4

And yes I have it too....please have a discussion with your doctor...

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 22:26
Owls, coyotes, trains in the distance, and Son Volt - I like Yonder and Railroad Earth but for you that are yet familiar with Jay Farrar and Son Volt - here is a little teaser:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYoidn4QRMI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYoidn4QRMI)

great choice Papa D

Different Socks
01-10-2012, 22:35
I laugh every time I see a post about this!! Back in 1992 when I did my thru hike, I carried a small credit card sized radio. I was chastised for even having it much listening to it while all that"nature" was going on around me. Then........we all survived a 2-3ft dump of snow in the Smokies(in May). Only person whom knew it was coming? Me!!! First town stop after the Smokies suddenly every 3rd or 4th person was carrying a Walkman or a radio.
Now it is so common place, you are looked at weirdly if you do not have one.
I still carry something, but listen less b/c I'd rather hear the birds in the spring mornings, the winds in the trees, the limbs creaking and bending, frogs croaking, and many other things. Gotta have it for those long uphills and boring flat sections.
What I listen to? Anything off the Dr. Demento Show, Stevie Ray, Bruce Hornsby, Chicago, Alan Parsons, Moody Blues, Spyro Gyra, Kitaro and many others.

Papa D
01-10-2012, 22:39
am radio is still a nice alternative to loneliness somtimes

LIhikers
01-10-2012, 22:56
Stuff you all ready know....

What causes Tinnitus?
Most tinnitus comes from damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. Advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve damage, hearing loss and tinnitus. Younger people (and certainly those addicted to ear buds on MP3 players) who are exposed to loud noise have an increased risk of tinnitus and often damaged hearing as well. Some people may experience “subjective tinnitus,” the noise that only they can hear. Some causes, such as a plug of wax in the ear canal, might contribute to temporary tinnitus. Stiffening of the middle ear bones can also cause this symptom. Tinnitus can also be caused by allergy, high or low blood pressure, a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the head or neck, and a variety of inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants and aspirin. If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in relation to your size.

and Stress!

STUFF you don't know....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdwcy8xrao4

And yes I have it too....please have a discussion with your doctor...

My doctor knows about it. Not only do I have Tinnitus but partial hearing loss too.
It's a result of 35+ years as an aircraft mechanic working around helicopters and jet engines.
I'm getting pretty good at reading lips, except when my wife is telling me to do something :D

ezNomad
01-10-2012, 23:10
60%+ listen to nature, 20% audiobooks/podcasts, 20% music.

Audiobooks from audible.com (subscribe) and librivox.org (free). Also, tons of good archived podcasts downloaded free from NPR and the BBC, and some other independent bloggers (just google whatever topic you are interested in for "podcasts").

My music playlist:

Ryan Adams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvIRk8wvC_A

Dirk Powell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAMu3LHIYA

Gregory Alan Isakov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3X9Bz0LNnc

Hank Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgicPdsxxg

Hank Williams III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VoU5kmqasY

The Decemberists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEnUp2j8TV4

Amos Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmyq7JgdeM4

Also Wilco, Son Volt, Grateful Dead, Phish, Allman Brothers, Johnny Cash, Lightnin Hopkins, Miles Davis (and lots of 150s-1960s jazz/blues). And while reading, Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard. And all Mozart/Chopin for piano and Beethoven for symphonies.

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 23:10
...........WHOA^ didnt know this..

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 23:39
DOC thats what makes WB awesome - it aint about the mods all the time....

One has to appreciate that.

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 23:42
My doctor knows about it. Not only do I have Tinnitus but partial hearing loss too.
It's a result of 35+ years as an aircraft mechanic working around helicopters and jet engines.
I'm getting pretty good at reading lips, except when my wife is telling me to do something :D

yea but get in early and get to know sign language!

Rochester Institute tech is the place or get the video.http://www.ask.com/web?l=sem&ifr=1&qsrc=999&q=video of learn sign language&siteid=15148&o=15148&ar_uid=4290B5D1-E2EB-4103-862E-CBA949537466&click_id=49C54497-8080-4BE2-9D93-3850C39EFA49

I am up to 60 important signs sillioquwa
- and finger spelling... its a work in progress.

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 23:46
yeah i know thats one reason i stick around.. you people aare crazy

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 23:46
yeah i said you people :)