PDA

View Full Version : A daypack that my back can stay cool with

grizzly bear 336
01-08-2012, 23:40
I am looking for a daypack that I can carry without my back getting hot. I have an external frame pack that I use for the longer hikes because it allows the air to flow across your back, but a huge external frame pack is overkill for a day hike. Does anybody know of a day pack that fits my needs?

MTA
01-09-2012, 00:10
I bought an Osprey Stratos 24 for that very reason and it does a pretty good job keeping my back relatively cool. I still sweat on my back a little bit, but it's nothing compared to my previous daypacks.

http://www.rei.com/product/796730/osprey-stratos-24-pack

skinewmexico
01-09-2012, 01:53
Osprey Manta. If I remember right, it seemed to me like it combined what I liked from the Talon and Stratos series. I hope it did, or I ordered the wrong pack.

DLANOIE
01-09-2012, 08:47
I like Osprey packs, I have owned a few of there daypacks. I also use the REI flash 18. it keeps my back nice and dry.

Nutbrown
01-09-2012, 08:55
+++Osprey. It's an external frame wrapped in an internal body.

ljcsov
01-09-2012, 10:12
I like Osprey packs, I have owned a few of there daypacks. I also use the REI flash 18. it keeps my back nice and dry.

I got a flash 18 for Christmas! They are great! I thought it was so cool I got one for my GF. On both of them I've laced paracord to the bank "daisy chain" and created a sweet compression system. Lovin' it so far!

jakedatc
01-09-2012, 19:21
Yep, pick an osprey pack with the amount of space you want. I got the Stratos 24 too. it may bit a bit spacious for normal day hikes but i'd rather have empty space than cram stuff in so it's ok.

Beuhler
01-09-2012, 22:25
The Manta 25 and the Stratos 24 are the 2 day packs I'm looking at as well. I already have the Stratos 36 as my overnight bag. I love it. The ventilation works real well. Its a little too big for day hikes, though. Leaning towards the Manta right now. I'm also going to use it as my daily work bag so it needs to fit my gym clothes, sneakers and lunch.

skinewmexico
01-10-2012, 02:20
The Manta 25 and the Stratos 24 are the 2 day packs I'm looking at as well.

I didn't like one of those, because the compression straps wouldn't go under the water bottle pocket. Can't remember which now.

Wags
01-11-2012, 12:23
this pack came into mind, given that the strap runs across and can be alternated from shoulder to shoulder, and would likely keep back sweat to a minimum in that the whole back wouldn't be covered. plus it's just a cool pack.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45435

t (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45435)he osprey exos i used to own did an EXCELLENT job of keeping some air flow around my back. this would probably be my top recommendation...

G.G.
01-11-2012, 13:01
Gregory Z 35 or 40

Beuhler
01-13-2012, 00:19
I checked out the Stratos 24 and Manta 25 today at REI. They both look sturdy and appear well built—something I've come to expect from Osprey. If this was going to be primarily used as a hydration pack then the Manta would win, hands down. I really liked the hidration sleeve and the external pockets. But, I'm looking for a pack that I can also use for family day hikes and transporting my gym clothes and lunch back and forth to work. For this the Manta seemed a bit too small in the main pocket. I'm not sure I'd be able to get my sneakers and lunch in the bag at the same time. Although they are both the same capacity, the Stratos' main pocket just seemed bigger. I think it is because the bladder sleeve is well padded on the Manta and that padding takes up cargo space in the main pocket. The Stratos' bladder sleeve is a thin pocket that when not being used takes up no additional room. The harness and belt on the Stratos also have thicker padding that I think would be more comfortable when filled to capacity. As a do-it-all daypack I think the Stratos wins for flexibility.

MNBackpacker
01-17-2012, 11:03
I have an older model of the Stratos 24 that I used for these same types of things and it worked great. A big thing with these packs is learning how to pack them to make use of the space. I don't use this pack much anymore if you are interested in a size Large.

Marlow
01-17-2012, 17:37
+++ to Osprey Stratos 24. I have had mine for about six months and take it out on day hikes almost every weekend. Great durability and large enough capacity to carry everything you need. (Not that you really need much for a day hike.) Plus, I really like the the design for the hydration sleeve and the quick access zippered pockets on the belt.

Whiskey
01-17-2012, 18:55
Osprey Talon 22 is another option.