PDA

View Full Version : Maps

Andrew Smith
01-09-2012, 10:20
Where have people been getting Maps for their thru hike? I see them bundled on the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/)website for $230, but I am trying to find them somewhere else cheaper. I know EMS and REI also have them, but they are selling for about $20-$30 per state.

RETCW4
01-09-2012, 10:45
I bought my maps as a bundle last year From the ATC. As a member, you get a discount and for me I believe it was the best buy in addition to getting them all at once so I could start planning.

Tumbleweed

fadeaway
01-09-2012, 10:47
Maps, I don't need no stinking maps.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 10:57
Maps are so much fun to have when you are in the woods, but to complete a thru-hike you don't really need maps. The trail is usually well- blazed and almost impossible to loose. What is important is determining how far you are on the trail from various landmarks -- I think that the Thu Hiker's Companion does an excellent job of this. If you are a member of the ATC (and you should be) the cost is about $14.00 -- the book doesn't contain maps but it does offer a pretty good description of your surroundings, what the next shelter is like, where the water is, and what services are available at the next road -- something you have to work at a bit to glean from a map. You'll quickly become familiar with their abbreviations, i.e. w(water) S(shelter), W(west), ayce(all you can eat), PO(post office), etc. Most thru-hikers tear the book into several sections and have someone mail them the next piece. If you were really nice, you could leave your used pages in a hiker box for someone going the opposite direction as you.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.png Here is the link for you:

www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=706&compid=1 (http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=706&compid=1)

I would also suggest you pick up a map or two for a section that might interest you along the way. I happen to own all of the maps and occasionally consult them - I also have guidebooks for all of the states - it's very nice reference material but I don't put these items in my backpack (at least not on the AT).

rocketsocks
01-09-2012, 11:11
Most of my maps have been put togeather over 25 years or so.Alot has changed,but I can still read the trees(White Blazes)and you can too.Check out B&Noble on line buy used,or Amazon.

handlebar
01-09-2012, 11:17
What fadeaway says. I bought all the guidebooks and maps; took the maps with me to start; and quickly wound up cutting out the profiles from the maps and carrying only those. My advice: get one of the trail guides that has the profiles printed along with the data pages. That's all you'll need.

rocketsocks
01-09-2012, 11:18
Double Dip,If you do decide to go with used older maps,be it known YMMV literally.;)

Papa D
01-09-2012, 11:21
Handlebar's point that the printed profiles are nice is good (and we agree - no maps needed) but I much prefer the actual elevation numbers that the Companion uses over the graphic - x number of feet in elevation gain and loss over y number of miles is so much better for me than a the profile lines - i'm prob in the minority on that one though -- I think the Data Book has the profiles but it doesn't have as much info as the companion (I haven't seen the 2012 one yet though)

Storm
01-09-2012, 11:51
I am considering ordering the maps from AWOL's site where you order his guide. A complete set with elevation profiles for under $90 and only weigh 4 ounces. I can deal with that.

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2012, 11:58
The places that as a thru-hiker you might want maps for are the Whites and ME. Absolutely needed? No. But there is an extensive trail system in the Whites with many trail intersections and it can get confusing to some. Maps are a lot more important to us section hikers as we use them for planning and are often doing loops and such with other trails that intersect the AT, especially in the Whites. Lots of hiking plans get changed mid trip due to weather or even just on a whim. There are so many trails around here that unless you know them all a map is a must.

Andrew Smith
01-09-2012, 11:59
Maps are so much fun to have when you are in the woods, but to complete a thru-hike you don't really need maps. The trail is usually well- blazed and almost impossible to loose. What is important is determining how far you are on the trail from various landmarks -- I think that the Thu Hiker's Companion does an excellent job of this. If you are a member of the ATC (and you should be) the cost is about $14.00 -- the book doesn't contain maps but it does offer a pretty good description of your surroundings, what the next shelter is like, where the water is, and what services are available at the next road -- something you have to work at a bit to glean from a map. You'll quickly become familiar with their abbreviations, i.e. w(water) S(shelter), W(west), ayce(all you can eat), PO(post office), etc. Most thru-hikers tear the book into several sections and have someone mail them the next piece. If you were really nice, you could leave your used pages in a hiker box for someone going the opposite direction as you.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.png Here is the link for you:

www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=706&compid=1 (http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=706&compid=1)

I would also suggest you pick up a map or two for a section that might interest you along the way. I happen to own all of the maps and occasionally consult them - I also have guidebooks for all of the states - it's very nice reference material but I don't put these items in my backpack (at least not on the AT).

I actually just ordered the 2012 Companion, but I am more of a visual person, so in planning out my visits to town to resupply ans such, I feel like it might be easier to do if I had a map in front of me. I will wait until I get the companion before I decide to buy any maps to see if it will work instead.

YohonPetro
01-09-2012, 12:27
I was gifted maps from here: http://www.theatguide.com/

I am satisfied with price, weight, and detail.

I also order the AT Guide last year for planning and this year (loose-leaf) for the Journey, comprehensive guide with which I am totally satisfied.

T-dub
01-09-2012, 14:11
I also have the same maps from the AT guide and am very satisfied with them

Northern Lights
01-09-2012, 20:05
I am considering ordering the maps from AWOL's site where you order his guide. A complete set with elevation profiles for under $90 and only weigh 4 ounces. I can deal with that.

I recieved mine today, and they are great! I never used the maps on my first section thru Ga and NC. But I was always sneaking a peak at the profiles that another hiker had cut out of his maps. He then sent the maps home.

Blissful
01-09-2012, 20:08
I blogged on ye ol' map debate (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2012/01/trail-maps-why-bother.html).

Papa D
01-09-2012, 20:33
I actually just ordered the 2012 Companion, but I am more of a visual person, so in planning out my visits to town to resupply ans such, I feel like it might be easier to do if I had a map in front of me. I will wait until I get the companion before I decide to buy any maps to see if it will work instead.

Good plan - i painstakingly mail dropped maps for my thru-hike - the first directory of sorts came out the year that I hiked ('85) and I didn't have one - I found roads and towns and shelters, and water on the map - now, you have elevation gain and loss to road, town, phone numbers of shuttles, hostels, whatever - I really think once you see the Companion that you will just get a few maps. Like a previous poster suggested, you might want a map in New Hampshire and Maine -- I might also add North Carolina the GSMNP and the NC/TN border to Damascus. ALL the maps is really unnecessary.

Transient Being
01-09-2012, 20:44
thru hikers companion 2011 is $36 and 2009 I can get for $8.50. Shouldn't the '09 be almost the same?

RWheeler
01-09-2012, 20:53
Hostels and volunteers and even shelters change.

If you're trying to save $28 on a book that pretty much tells you what everything on or near the trail is, then... you should probably reconsider yoru budget.

Transient Being
01-09-2012, 20:58
Good point. but I was actually thinking about not even getting the dang book. Let providence show me the way.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 23:14
Good point. but I was actually thinking about not even getting the dang book. Let providence show me the way.

"Providence" -- that that ex-thru hiker that works at Uncle Johnnies, right - yeah, he'll fix you up - or are you talking about "Promise" - he clean's up at the mayor's house in NY. On second though, get a Companion.

Andrew Smith
01-11-2012, 11:20
Like a previous poster suggested, you might want a map in New Hampshire and Maine -- I might also add North Carolina the GSMNP and the NC/TN border to Damascus. ALL the maps is really unnecessary.

I have actually done most of my hiking in the White Mountains and have maps of that area already. Once I get the Companion I'll probably try to figure out which Maps I actually need, like you said.