PDA

View Full Version : So.. You're walking to Maine?!?

B-Rabbit
01-09-2012, 10:59
I am attempting my first thru-hike this spring and have gotten some really interesting responses when I tell people of my plans. What are some ridiculous questions/suggestions you have heard.

Examples:
"So there is a trail that goes from Georgia to Maine?... Is it paved?"

" What about all of the Tarantulas?"

" You should bring a shotgun!"

" I couldn't imagine being out in the woods for three months hunting for my own food and stuff."

"Better watch out for those Grizzly bears?"

Grampie
01-09-2012, 11:02
Watch the movie "Diliverence" befor you leave.

rocketsocks
01-09-2012, 11:05
Can I have your room.Can I have your Autograph.And my personal favorite,Can I watch(over heard in a gear store,had to be about 4or5 years old).

RayBan
01-09-2012, 11:06
"Are you coming back?"

Rain Man
01-09-2012, 11:07
There are people right here on WB who believe and post stuff like that, believe it or not.

Rain:sunMan

B-Rabbit
01-09-2012, 11:16
I guess at one point we all knew nothing of the trail...but it's still fun to watch people's minds wander with crazy questions.

rocketsocks
01-09-2012, 11:21
And some of the responses too.:eek:

Scratch
01-09-2012, 11:50
"You're going to get mauled by a bear and raped by every male hiker you meet." - Ex boyfriend. You can see why he's an ex.

"Are there showers?" Sure, rain showers.

"Take nailpolish. It hides the dirt under the nails." - Best Friend, she's my entertainment.

"So that takes like what, a couple of weeks?" Bit more than that.

"Appalachian Trail, that's like what, Virginia to Vermont right?" Again, a bit more than that.

My mom also told me to try to call every night. Umm....I don't think I'll get service in the woods, ma.

"How do you shave on the trail?" Umm...I don't. "EW! I would have to shave. You're going to stink when you get done." Thanks.

"Don't fall off a mountain." - Actually that's probably some good advice right there.

TOMP
01-09-2012, 12:12
Friend- So your hiking from Georgia to Maine?
Me- Yup
Friend- Have you ever been to Maine?
Me- No
Friend-Why not?
Me- Its too far...

RWheeler
01-09-2012, 12:16
"Wouldn't it be cheaper just to take a bus to Maine?" Well, yeah... but... Greyhound sucks.

harryfred
01-09-2012, 12:23
YOU, will never come back. Even thos that don't finish are never the same.

LilRedTX
01-09-2012, 12:29
What are you, crazy? Why on earth would you want to do something like that?

This coming from my mother. My response was that she ought to know by now, that by her definition, I am crazy.
Gee, thanks for being supportive. :rolleyes:

Transient Being
01-09-2012, 13:46
"Why?" my answer, "Why not?"

"What kind of gun are you taking?"

"What kind of bowie knife are you taking?"

That's gonna be cool fishing and hunting for your food"

B-Rabbit
01-09-2012, 14:00
My favorite has been... "So, will you be working still?"

The Maxx
01-09-2012, 17:58
My Dad, when he heard about my planned 2013 thru-hike, said "I don't want to encourage you." Thanks Dad. My response was "More like, you can't stop me"

He was also convinced I should bring some kind of saw for firewood. I told him that I didn't plan on making any fires and he didn't really seem to get it. He's always been a car camper so I guess the whole walk with only what you need thing is a little puzzling to him.

birdygal
01-09-2012, 18:17
When I told my Quilting guild friends I was going to do a thru in reference that I would not be attending their meetings for 6 months , Some said what about all the wild animals? the other half said your husband is letting you go. Guess some of my women friends think men own us

JAK
01-09-2012, 18:55
My favourite is "Make sure you buy lots of clothes and gear and a heavy pack to carry it all in and have at least $7000 to spend wouldn't want to run out after 1,999 miles because you only have $6000 as that would be a total waste of time, and HYOH."

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-09-2012, 20:35
I told my parents of my plans on christmas for my 2013 hike, my dad is an avid outdoorsman, my mother has never camped.

So my mom says "It's 2100 miles and 5-6 months on the trail.....are you going to take your wife?"

LMFAO

Blissful
01-09-2012, 20:41
I had people ask if there was electricty at the shelters. Most though ask about food, bears, and danger

rugged shark
01-09-2012, 20:43
Hey Hikers, this is an old post that I put out right after I finished the trail. You'll find this is how to do it. I still can't believe there are so many hackers out here telling you to bring a map and compass and food drops. Please pass this around so the hikers can enjoy and finish their hikes!!
What to bring - that I think will help all the 2010 hikers. I just completed the trail on 9/20/09 and thought that a list of items that "made it all the way" would be a great benefit for the class of 2010. I was searching for something like this when I started. Don't go out there with junk or with junk you won't need. I listed all the things in my pack so if it is not here - most thru hikers would agree - you probably don't need it.

In addition to this I would contact the folks at Mountain Crossing (Neels Gap GA) who are experts and right on the trail.

Wear - 1 pair zip off synthetic pants. 1 high sweat absorption shirt (long or short per season). hiking socks. sorry, no underwear and if there is netting in the pants I would cut it out. No cotton fabrics.

clothing bag (waterproof)-camp/bed clothes- 1 pair zip off synthetic pants, synthetic long sleeve t - shirt. No matter how cold or dirty your hiking clothes get always keep you bed clothes dry and clean (never hike in them unless very unusual circumstances). Fleece pull over (pillow/bed clothes or garment while hiking). 1 pair Xtra socks. 1 Nylon windbreaker (rain gear). Synthetic long johns and shirt for winter (Mar - May, Aug- Sep)

Cooking - alcohol stove (or beer can stove)which fits into Titanium pot w/lid. Alcohol - a few tbl spoons per meal. Wind guard for stove. 1" sq pot scubber/sponge. Titanium spork - epoxy will break in the peanut butter!

Tent - MSR Hubba 1 (or similar). Tyvek ground cover (or painter plastic)

Water - Katadyn water bottle filter or similar. Tincture of Iodine. 16 oz Gatorade bottle. Read "98.6 degrees - the Art of Keeping your Ass Alive" to understand the iodine use/risks. (There are other ways to do the water purification - but this is simple, quick and light). 1 liter collapsable water container for camp (eve's and morning water)

Air Matress - at least 2" thick for use in shelters (use the tent ground cloth under the matress to protect it when in a shelter)

LED Headlamp or Flashlight (small and light but dependable)

Duct tape 10' wrapped around something - use on feet when hot spots start (before blisters form) Duct tape will stay on a couple of days but don't let the skin go bad under it. Also use for repairing things.

Waterproof cover for back pack

Stainless folding knife - 3" or smaller for various uses - metal is heavy

Personal Items should include - vaseline for feet (coat feet when they will get wet or your socks are wet also a fire starter) the lip balm tube will last from town stop to town stop. Butane lighter (see through so you know how much fuel is left). First aid kit including some band aids(2 or 3), asprin, tums (help w/ the runs) and daily multiple vitamins. log book, SPOT, Camera (as you see fit etc.)

sleeping bag in waterproof bag - 20 degree (ratings vary from US to Europe so make sure you can SLEEP at 20 degrees.

Camp shoes - Frisky (brand name) or Croc's (no slippers or other junk people tell you to bring)

Large zip lock for garbage - stored in waterproof (airtight) food bag

several Extra zip locks for various needs

Wallet is a zip lock in your pocket.

50' bear line - get some at an outfitter so the line does not absorb water (weight)

Food - you can get some good foods right from the store. Knorr side dishes mixed w/ tuna or salmon packages are a staple. there are about 10 varieties. Cheeses, gorp, bagels, peanut butter, candy bars, summer sausage, cold cuts, snack bars are common items. my favorite camp breakfast was Frito's w/ cream cheese. Mountain House meals are great but some folks balk at the expense. Other freeze dried meals for camping. some of these items store less well in summer, but generally I saw them all through the hike.

The last item to buy is the back pack which will be based in size on what you choose above.

OK - some advice -

I would buy the Appalachain pages and break it into sections. Maps didn't appear in my list because most thru hikers don't carry them (paper = heavy).

Hike you own hike! Listen to your body and rest (take a zero) if you need it. Don't get caught up in the parties too much (it gets more expensive as you go north) and try to remain a white blazer - otherwise the whole thing might loose its meaning and you'll drop out. Take care of your feet (dry and clean before parking them in the sleeping bag). Listen to nature - keep your feet and yourself dry if can (duck out of T showers and find shelter when it will rain all day) - wet feet get torn up - make miles when the sun shines. Try to keep yourself comfortable. It's about hiking and making miles - so do some training with a back pack. The hardest part of the trail is - it is VERY LONG. No section will beat you, but if you spend yourself the trail will grind you down. We all agreed while discussing it in Monson ME, the trail will beat you up, but will let you pass. However, if you are determined to "kill" yourself, the trail will oblige. Learn to start a campfire and start one when you want to - dry out clothes, smoke bath, camp comfort. Have fun!! You'll really want some of those Mountain House meals in NH and ME when you body is very spent and your appetite is huge.

The AT is so awesome - but even more so when you become a thru hiker (make it all the way). I hope this helps you and the rest of the Class of 2012 succeed!

Rugged Shark

wdelong
01-09-2012, 21:27
"Do they make you carry all your own water?" (never figured out who she thought "they" were...)

EJC
01-09-2012, 22:26
"Where do you go to the bathroom"

"how do you carry that much food (when talking about a thru hike)?"

CrumbSnatcher
01-09-2012, 22:29
is that dog walking to maine "yes"
are you going with him:-?

Smokestack
01-09-2012, 22:39
"Why would ANYBODY want to go to Maine?"

"Maine? But that's nowhere NEAR Georgia!"

"Do you have to pay tolls to use the trail?"

"Will you meet any Argentinian beauties?"

Rwood
01-10-2012, 00:34
Someone told me to take an umbrella.

Datto
01-10-2012, 01:55
"Do you have to pay tolls to use the trail?"

"Somebody has to go back to Georgia and get a boatload of dimes!" [Slim Pickens]

Me: "I'm going to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail."

Other Person: "Why would you want to do that?!?"

Me: "Why did they climb Mt. Everest?"

Other Person: "That was almost as crazy!"

Datto

Spokes
01-10-2012, 08:18
"So when it rains you don't hike right?"

B-Rabbit
01-10-2012, 10:07

HAHAHA... Now that's funny right there.

Six-Six
01-10-2012, 10:38
"Are you going by yourself?"

Yes, but there's 2000 other hikers going by themselves too.

BoiledPeanut
01-10-2012, 14:48
Where do you charge you phone / iPad?

Missing the biggest point for me - NOT using the phone!!

rhjanes
01-10-2012, 15:45
"Somebody has to go back to Georgia and get a boatload of dimes!" [Slim Pickens]
I'm pretty sure in the un-sensored version, it wasn't a boatload but a sh**load... LOL. da-DING!

Blissful
01-10-2012, 15:50
Someone told me to take an umbrella.

Actually my son carried one on the trail. Golite Umbrella. He loved it.

Blissful
01-10-2012, 15:51

Ha ha best of them ....

Blissful
01-10-2012, 15:53
in '07 the mayor of Unionville told me he could give me the name of a good pyschiatrist...

Mike2012
01-10-2012, 15:58
I feel like people size me up after I tell them trying to figure out if I will be able to do it or not. Imma do it.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 17:06
you're hiking the whole trail? "yes"
where's that start? "Georgia"
you from Georgia? "no"....."i'm from Nebraska"
did you walk from Nebraska?:-?

Odd Man Out
01-10-2012, 17:43
This link was posted here a few month ago on a similar thread. A must see!

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12633631/im-going-to-hike-the-appalachian-trail

Badspeller
01-10-2012, 21:36
"Oh... are you still doing that?"

"you mean all at once?"

"I drove to Maine once; Do you know how far it is?"

"Will you help me to convince my wife to let me go too?"

"Yeah, I know all about the AT, I saw a guy hike it on TV."

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 21:57
probably few people in Nebraska even know about the trail, but theres been a handful of them say to me
"my brother" or someone they know hiked the entire trail, then they all went on to say about the same thing
" yeah it took him a full two weeks"