PDA

View Full Version : Gear List NOBO :: Feb. 29, 2012

fireneck
01-09-2012, 12:40
Here is my gear list. My pack weight is about 16.9 lbs without the weight of my camp clothes (shirt, long johns, shorts, socks). I will swapping things out for warmer weather (sleeping bag, jacket, rain pants). Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

Pack

Osprey Atmos 65

Shelter/Sleep System

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1

Tyvek Ground clothe

REI Radiant Bag 20F

ThermaRest NeoAir Med.

Sea to Summit eVent Compression sack

Exped Airpillow

Clothes

Patagonia Nano Puff Half Zip

Patagonia Cap 1 top/bottom
Camp Shirt

Compression Shorts

Shorts

Hiking Socks (1)

Camp socks (1)

micro fleece gloves

wool hat

North Face light fleece

Dri Ducks Rain Pants

Marmot PreCip

Dry Sack

Crocs

Kitchen

SnowPeak Giga

Windscreen

SnowPeak Titanium Spork

700ml Titanium Pot

Fuel Canister

Katadyn Hiker Water Filter

OR Medium Stuff Sack

Platapus water bottle

Nalgene UL Bottle

Nalgene 96oz Canteen
OR UL Stuff Sack

13L Ultra-Sil Dry Sack (food bag)

Odds & Ends

Bic Lighter

Journal/Pen

Camera

Charger

Cell Phone

Charger

Adventure Medical UL Med. Kit

Money/ID/Cards

ZipLock Bags

50 Ft cord

Petzl TACTIKKA XP

Toothbrush/paste

Campmor Pack Cover
OR UL Stuff Sack
Black Diamond trekking poles

Clothes (on person)
Stoic Longsleeve
Stoic T shirt
Longjohns
Zipoff pants
Merrell trail shoes

Joey C
01-09-2012, 12:48
Toss in some TP and lipbalm of some sort and you're good to go!

Stop off at Mt Crossing on your way thru and they'll do a pack check for ya'. It's fun, and may give you a few more ideas. Enjoy your hike!!

swjohnsey
01-09-2012, 12:53
Very similar to mine. If I were gonna get rid of somethings it would be the Crocs and either the fleece top or Pantagonia top. Maybe add another pair of hiking socks. Always nice to have two sources of fire, maybe another lighter squirreled away in a Ziploc bag.

Transient Being
01-09-2012, 14:16
I ditched my water filter, gonna take some aqua-mira and only use it if I think I need to. Never been sick from untreated water (yet)

TOMP
01-09-2012, 14:27
I see a lot of people say things like my bag is only 15 lbs not counting the clothes or something similar, but why does that matter. If its in your pack then count the weight in to your total. My pack is only 1 lbs if you dont count the other 24 lbs of gear, food, and water.

I counted 6 stuff sacks, seems like a lot. I have three total one for food, clothes, and sleeping bag.

fireneck
01-09-2012, 14:43
I see a lot of people say things like my bag is only 15 lbs not counting the clothes or something similar, but why does that matter. If its in your pack then count the weight in to your total. My pack is only 1 lbs if you dont count the other 24 lbs of gear, food, and water.

I counted 6 stuff sacks, seems like a lot. I have three total one for food, clothes, and sleeping bag.

I will be including it in my weight, I just don't know how much my camp clothes weigh. Good idea about the stuff sacks!

Toss in some TP and lipbalm of some sort and you're good to go!

Stop off at Mt Crossing on your way thru and they'll do a pack check for ya'. It's fun, and may give you a few more ideas. Enjoy your hike!!

I can't believe I almost forget the most important papers?! Lip balm, duh!

Very similar to mine. If I were gonna get rid of somethings it would be the Crocs and either the fleece top or Pantagonia top. Maybe add another pair of hiking socks. Always nice to have two sources of fire, maybe another lighter squirreled away in a Ziploc bag.

Extra lighter, good thinking.

--

Thank you all for your feedback.

Creek Dancer
01-09-2012, 16:29
I would leave the pillow at home, and use my clothing bag instead for a pillow.

Ironbelly
01-09-2012, 17:16
Why shorts and zip off pants? Compas? Guide book etc? I agree you could ditch a couple stuff sacks, you can just put stuff in a garbage bag and save a little weight and still have some moisture protection. +1 on having at least another pair of socks

Slo-go'en
01-09-2012, 17:42
Don't forget a hat with a brim and sun block. When it's not raining, you will be in the direct sun. It will take a few weeks before your tan enough not to need the block anymore.

I suspect you'll have a lot of cold rain this spring, so select you clothes approperately.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 20:42
Here is my gear list. My pack weight is about 16.9 lbs without the weight of my camp clothes (shirt, long johns, shorts, socks). I will swapping things out for warmer weather (sleeping bag, jacket, rain pants). Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

Pack

Osprey Atmos 65

Shelter/Sleep System

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1

Tyvek Ground clothe

REI Radiant Bag 20F

ThermaRest NeoAir Med.

Sea to Summit eVent Compression sack

Exped Airpillow

Clothes

Patagonia Nano Puff Half Zip

Patagonia Cap 1 top/bottom
Camp Shirt

Compression Shorts

Shorts

Hiking Socks (1)

Camp socks (1)

micro fleece gloves

wool hat

North Face light fleece

Dri Ducks Rain Pants

Marmot PreCip

Dry Sack

Crocs

Kitchen

SnowPeak Giga

Windscreen

SnowPeak Titanium Spork

700ml Titanium Pot

Fuel Canister

Katadyn Hiker Water Filter

OR Medium Stuff Sack

Platapus water bottle

Nalgene UL Bottle

Nalgene 96oz Canteen
OR UL Stuff Sack

13L Ultra-Sil Dry Sack (food bag)

Odds & Ends

Bic Lighter

Journal/Pen

Camera

Charger

Cell Phone

Charger

Adventure Medical UL Med. Kit

Money/ID/Cards

ZipLock Bags

50 Ft cord

Petzl TACTIKKA XP

Toothbrush/paste

Campmor Pack Cover
OR UL Stuff Sack
Black Diamond trekking poles

Clothes (on person)
Stoic Longsleeve
Stoic T shirt
Longjohns
Zipoff pants
Merrell trail shoes

Best list I've seen in a while - you might want to add some Dr. Scholls blister bandaids and some coaches tape, a needle and an alcohol pad or three in a zip lock for a first aid kit of sorts - I would also strongly suggest ditching the water filter - you will ditch it because it will clog by about the time you get to Hot Springs and the re-fill will be $35 and aqua-mira will be $14 - so, it'll cost you $15 to send it home plus the aqua-mira - which will still be a better deal. I'd also add some patagonia long-johns to sleep in - I actually just stuff these in my sleeping bag and use them year-around. Good going - have fun!

Blissful
01-09-2012, 20:51
The Neoair will not help under 25 degree. I'd take a gossamer gear thin pad to put underneath.
Why two pairs of shorts? Only need one.
Only need one pair of long johns, you've got two listed.
Aqua mira works fine unless one loves their filter and doesn't mind the potential of it acting up in a few weeks of constant use
I wouldn't take a Naglene canteen for personal use. One 3 liter Platypus for water gathering and use Aqua fina bottles (or I use one liter spring water bottles) to drink. Nalgenes are heavy.
I don't find the adventure medical has really what you need for a thru hike. Might redo that.
Gudebook pages, maps

Papa D
01-09-2012, 23:31
The Neoair will not help under 25 degree. I'd take a gossamer gear thin pad to put underneath.
Why two pairs of shorts? Only need one.
Only need one pair of long johns, you've got two listed.
Aqua mira works fine unless one loves their filter and doesn't mind the potential of it acting up in a few weeks of constant use
I wouldn't take a Naglene canteen for personal use. One 3 liter Platypus for water gathering and use Aqua fina bottles (or I use one liter spring water bottles) to drink. Nalgenes are heavy.
I don't find the adventure medical has really what you need for a thru hike. Might redo that.
Gudebook pages, maps

oh, good catch Blissful - didn't see the "Adventure Medical Kit" -- respectfully, real backpackers make their own kits - pre-packaged med kits are really pricy ways of selling you something heavy.

Renaissance
01-10-2012, 00:16
I would ditch the fleece, get a pair of Patagonia Cap long john(level 2 I believe) for sleeping/hanging around the shelter. Go with the aqua mira and use it even though those little bottles seem to be sooo expensive after 2 or so(much better then getting the runs. I'd also highly recommend a silk bag liner. I hiked from 2/14/11-6/29/11 and carried a 15degree montbell spiral stretch through the shenendoah and having that liner to bring it down to around 8/9degrees was a lifesaver. I woke up to 17degrees multiple times. Oh, yeah...ditch the pillow, your down jacket or dirty clothes in a stuff sack will work just as good.
Good luck

Renaissance
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation, the old has gone the new has come" 2 Corinthians 5:17
GA-ME 2011

fireneck
01-10-2012, 14:45
oh, good catch Blissful - didn't see the "Adventure Medical Kit" -- respectfully, real backpackers make their own kits - pre-packaged med kits are really pricy ways of selling you something heavy.

It weighs only 2.3 oz and I got if free the Lightning Strikes adventure race. Regardless, I will look into replacing it.

I will also give sleeping with my nano puff a whirl. The pillow was a gift from my lady friend... trust me I might have to take it ;)

Creek Dancer
01-10-2012, 15:59
Keep the Nalgene Canteen. It's not heavy. The 96 oz size only weighs 2.25 ounces. This container is perfect for hauling water from far away sources and it flattens down nicely to fit into a pack. It also hold enough water to rinse off the body funk (well... some of it anyway) if you are so inclined. This container is a staple in my pack for long distance hikes.

Looks like a great list!!

-Ghost-
01-12-2012, 00:04
Solid list. Definitely agree either take the fleece or the Patagonia puff. (id recommend the Patagonia). Pillow is unnecessary. Glad you dropped the filter. Youll be happy with the AquaMira for sure. Seems the Atmos 65 is overkill for this though? I used an Atmos 50 and was wishing I had a smaller pack by the end (although i was also wishing EVERYTHING was lighter/smaller). I understand if you just cant splurge for a new pack but switching to a smaller/lighter one could potentially drop your weight a few lbs.

Papa D
01-12-2012, 09:09
It weighs only 2.3 oz and I got if free the Lightning Strikes adventure race. Regardless, I will look into replacing it.

I will also give sleeping with my nano puff a whirl. The pillow was a gift from my lady friend... trust me I might have to take it ;)

Just looking at your good list and reading your subsequent posts, I think you are starting out in a good place. You'll probably ditch a couple of more items and maybe pick-up one or two but I think you are well poised to complete your thru hike. The neo-air is very comfortable by the way (and warm) -- but I did a 250 plus mile hike with a friend who had one and he found that it was very loud and a pain in the rear to blow up and deflate all the time. It didn't get a hole in it but he was exceedingly careful. You should start out with it since it was a gift but you might replace it with a regular therm a rest later.

TOMP
01-12-2012, 11:57
I would add a 1 oz knife, and make adjustments to the adventure medical (check expiration dates of meds in them too), add 2nd skin.

fireneck
01-12-2012, 23:28
Can someone have a link for a using AquaMira for dummies?

Also, just to clarify the "two shorts" that are on my list one are just normal shorts to wear in camp and the other, "compression shorts" are boxers -- damn Northwestern Illinois colloquialisms!

fireneck
01-12-2012, 23:32
Yes, I also have a small Gerber knife that will be with me, and I have ordered both guide book and see which one I like best. I think I might donate $10 to WB just so I can edit my own damn posts.

Mike2012
01-13-2012, 00:35
You can always mail stuff back from 30 miles in and on. The $10 to edit is an easy donation. :D

fireneck
02-05-2012, 00:27
Can someone help me with R Value stuff. So my NeoAir is rated at 2.5. What are my DIY options to add additional r value? A space blanket, duct insulation (http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/multipurpose/12-x-25-duct-wrap-insulation/p-136978.htm)?

Will adding a silk liner keep me warmer (obviously it won't help in the R value arena)? Would it compensate for a lower R value?

BrianLe
02-05-2012, 01:20
Gossamer Gear thinlight pad(s), in 1/8" or 1/4" thickness. I wouldn't expect a silk liner to do anything to mitigate an insufficiently warm pad underneath.

grayfox
02-05-2012, 12:19
Treating water in freezing temps is a bit of an art. Mechanical filters don't work and are likely to be damaged by freezing. You are left with the choice of chemicals and aqua mira is a good choice. You can mix a days worth of the two parts and carry it in a small opaque droper bottle like an eyedrop bottle from the drugstore which will reduce the fiddle factor considerably. When mixed they are yellowish in color and stay effective for the day--if they have cleared they are probably no longer effective. You may need to increase the number of drops if it is very cold and the water is more questionable than usual--and also wait a bit longer. But in cold weather water quality may be better because the material that pollutes a source may be frozen and not drain into the source. May. Use your good judgement and don't assume. Sometimes all the water sources are frozen and getting water can be a challenge. Though this year has been warm so freezing may not be a problem. Carry a bit of extra fuel to heat water and melt snow and ice. If you boil water you should not need to treat it and don't put boiling water through your filter if you decide to bring it.

Search 'water treatment' there is a good discussion going on today that will answer your questions.

Sears
02-18-2012, 17:35
Seems like a really solid list. Very similar to mine. Only sig differences seem to be I'm carrying a 15 deg bag, heavier sleep pad, and have opted to go with a Steri-pen for water treatment, vice Aqua Mira. Full bag with 3 days of food and water should come in at around 28 lbs for me, I believe. I can work with that. I'm also starting on the 29th of Feb. See you out there. Best of luck and have fun. BTW, my gear list is here on TJ (just click the "Gear" button on the left): http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11982
Todd