PDA

View Full Version : FS 42 To Springer in March

jasco
01-09-2012, 12:55
Hello all,

I have searched around the forums, but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for (probably search the wrong things...). Can anyone give me some insight into the typical condition of FS 42 to Springer MT in march (early/mid)? I am planning a section hike where I will be getting a ride from Helen, GA to Springer, but I wanted to make sure FS 42 was passable for a 2wd mini-van.

Thanks,
JascO

jj2044
01-09-2012, 13:01
well, i guess it depends on the weather at the time, but overall it isnt a bad road. my mom did it in her chrysler 300 easy..... but it was sunny and had not rained in a few days.

jasco
01-09-2012, 14:32
well, i guess it depends on the weather at the time, but overall it isnt a bad road. my mom did it in her chrysler 300 easy..... but it was sunny and had not rained in a few days.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have never been on this road and have no idea what the condition of the road is on (even if it is dirt, gravel, or whatever)...so I really don't want to make it all the way down from Indiana only to find out I can't get to the trail. Thanks for the info!

RayBan
01-09-2012, 15:42
You can always check with the Forrest Service a few days/the day before you intend to drive down to determine whether you can acess the parking lot there where FS 42 and the AT cross.

Jim Adams
01-09-2012, 15:53
you can always walk. usually your mini van would not have a problem as long as it doesn't rain sold for afew days prior...had some real bad deep ruts a few years ago after a week of rain, saw a few 4x4 vehicles stuck that year

Scratch
01-09-2012, 16:18
Gravel. Rocky ish. Don't take it too fast and you should be fine.

Razor
01-09-2012, 16:35
Usual is correct that there will be no problem .--2 years ago FS42 could not be traveled for approximately 2 weeks because of snow & ice ( which should tell you the weather to be prepared for)

bigmac_in
01-09-2012, 17:36
Just check on here a week or two before. Someone will have been on FS42 in the previous week, I almost guarantee it.

peakseeker
01-10-2012, 08:53
Hello all,

I have searched around the forums, but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for (probably search the wrong things...). Can anyone give me some insight into the typical condition of FS 42 to Springer MT in march (early/mid)? I am planning a section hike where I will be getting a ride from Helen, GA to Springer, but I wanted to make sure FS 42 was passable for a 2wd mini-van.

Thanks,
JascOIt is good 95% of the time. Chances are there will be no issue. However, as others have said, in March around GA it CAN be very wet so this may be that 5% you hit. Bit if it we me, do not worry. And if you do have to hike in ...it is 10 miles+ to Springer from HWY 9 all uphill........

But you'll be fine.

FatMan
01-10-2012, 14:21
FS42 is in about the best condition for winter that I can recall for several years. Of course, we have not seen much of winter yet. ;) The only problem you could have in March will be weather related. Even at its best, the road can become impassable with snow, ice, or long periods of rain. Don't sweat it. The chances of it being a problem are slim. Send me a PM before you come down here and I will give you an update on conditions. And if for some reason FS42 is not passable, you can always hike the approach trail from AFSP.