PDA

View Full Version : Georgia AT in March

jasco
01-09-2012, 15:30
I am planning my first section hike of the AT this March with a number of a number friends. We will be starting at Springer on March 10th (tentively) and taking it pretty easy...about 6.0 - 10 miles per day. We could truck it at a higher pace, but we figured we should take it easy since this is our first section hike on the AT and the fact we do not have any terrain close to that of the Georgia AT here in Indiana.

Is the Georgia AT pretty busy in March or no?

Thanks!

FatMan
01-09-2012, 15:32
Yes, it will be very busy

RayBan
01-09-2012, 15:38
[QUOTE=jasco;1237045]... we do not have any terrain close to that of the Georgia AT here in Indiana.
[QUOTE]

If you haven't already done so, you might want to go out to Morgan-Monroe State Forrest north of town there and hike south from the ranger station on the Tecumseh Trail to Yellowood Lake (about 42 miles). You'll get some idea of what GA AT beginning terrain will be like, albeit on a much smaller scale.

jasco
01-09-2012, 15:42
If you haven't already done so, you might want to go out to Morgan-Monroe State Forrest north of town there and hike south from the ranger station on the Tecumseh Trail to Yellowood Lake (about 42 miles). You'll get some idea of what GA AT beginning terrain will be like, albeit on a much smaller scale.

RayBan, I actually just did that hike about 2 months ago. It was fun, more difficult that I expected though...but we were also WAY to aggressive on our mileage. It gave me a really chance to try out the under-quilt I made for my hammock though.

RayBan
01-09-2012, 15:45
Although you've done that already you might want to consider doing it again, shortly before you leave for GA, so you'll have "muscle memory" if nothing else. Just a thought...

sonnynGA
01-09-2012, 15:48
Hiked half of GA last year with ambitions to do the whole section in a week. We came up short and could only do half. It's tough terrain extreme ups and downs one after another. We're 48 year olds in OK shape but could only manage 6-7 miles a day while in GA. Good luck. Hope to hike the other half this February.

jasco
01-09-2012, 15:53
We two are all in 'OK' shape in our late 20's...out tentative itinerary looks like this...

Start
Miles
End

Day 1
Springer Mountain (USFS 42 Intersection)
Hawk Mountain Shelter

Day 2
Hawk Mountain Shelter
Site of former Gooch Gap Shelter (campsite)

Day 3
Woods Hole Shelter

Day 4
Woods Hole Shelter
Baggs Creek Gap (campsite)

Day 5
Low Gap Shelter

Day 6
Low Gap Shelter
Campsite (former Rocky Knob Shelter site)

Day 7
2.5 + 9 off trail
Helen, GA

birdygal
01-09-2012, 16:05
We two are all in 'OK' shape in our late 20's...out tentative itinerary looks like this...

Start
Miles
End

Day 1
Springer Mountain (USFS 42 Intersection)
Hawk Mountain Shelter

Day 2
Hawk Mountain Shelter

Day 3
Woods Hole Shelter

Day 4
Woods Hole Shelter

Day 5
Low Gap Shelter

Day 6
Low Gap Shelter

Day 7
2.5 + 9 off trail
Helen, GA

/

My husband and I did that mileage in the same time frame though we had better mileage from day 4-7 than your day 2 and 3 there is one mountain there that whooped us, to us it was much harder than blood mountain was we are twice your age

Razor
01-09-2012, 16:31
This is agood plan and you will have several alternatives and bale out options. But take note Helen is about 10 miles from the gap--easy hitch and several shuttle drivers service the area. BE sure to practice your bag hanging skills as Baggs Creek area will have an active bear that time of year. Also as to your original question-there will be a crowd -about 2500 start between 3/1 & 4/15 plus several section hikers and spring breakers. This is the most crowded trail in the world at this time ---you can still have a good time but it will not be a trip in solitude. Have fun and enjoy ourself!

jasco
01-09-2012, 16:41
BE sure to practice your bag hanging skills as Baggs Creek area will have an active bear that time of year.

I did not think about bag hanging, thanks for the tip. I assume the PCT method would be ideal for this? I have never had to hang bag before because every other place I have hiked either didn't have beers (Indiana) or there have been other alternatives available (mainly beer boxes).

This is the most crowded trail in the world at this time ---you can still have a good time but it will not be a trip in solitude.

Good. I definitely didn't want this to be a trip of solitude. :)

bigmac_in
01-09-2012, 17:20
Hey jasco - first of all Indiana DOES have beers. (spelling :-) ) I enjoy them all the time.

I'm here in B-town as well. I have hiked all of GA - at your age you should be good with the mileage you mentioned. If you thought Morgan-Monroe was hard, you are in for an awakening in GA. You might try to keep to about 8 miles a day average, especially those first few days. There are a couple mountains that are going to open your eyes. A better training hike here in Indiana is the Knobstone trail.

RayBan
01-09-2012, 17:30
Hey jasco - first of all Indiana DOES have beers. (spelling :-) ) I enjoy them all the time.

I'm here in B-town as well. I have hiked all of GA - at your age you should be good with the mileage you mentioned. If you thought Morgan-Monroe was hard, you are in for an awakening in GA. You might try to keep to about 8 miles a day average, especially those first few days. There are a couple mountains that are going to open your eyes. A better training hike here in Indiana is the Knobstone trail.

One of the problems with the Knobstone is access to water along the way (other than at trailheads). The Tecumseh isn't a lot better (you do have Prang Pond) but you can get a lot of intensity there in a short period. Regardless of which trail you choose (to do again/first), bigmac_in is right about GA (and into NC after about a 100 miles): just ask a SOBO after they've "breezed" through VA and think they're on cruise control to Springer.

louisb
01-09-2012, 17:39
We plan on doing the same section though all the way to NC in early May. Hopefully the crowds will have thined out by then.

--louis

bigmac_in
01-09-2012, 17:41
We plan on doing the same section though all the way to NC in early May. Hopefully the crowds will have thined out by then.

--louis

Won't be as bad then.

songunn25
01-19-2012, 05:17
I am in the Indianapolis area and am trying to get out and do as many overnight backpacking trips as I can before I attempt a NOBO on the AT. My problem is my work schedule. I almost always only have Mondays and Wednesdays off. I'm a member of the Indy Backpacking Meetup group, but not really having weekends makes it difficult for me to hike with them.

With the weather forecast looking decent, I am looking to do a Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning trip on either the TT or KT. (I have a rare Sunday off.) If that would work with anyone's schedule, it would be great to have someone with me along the way.

lkaluzi
01-23-2012, 11:01
Hey I'm starting my thru on the 10th, maybe I'll see you at Springer!

TOMP
01-23-2012, 13:30
I think there are about 400 thru-hikers starting in March in a given year. At least thats what the register says.

Razor
01-23-2012, 16:39
Think closer to 1200!There will be 100-150 0n some days as 3/1 and the soltice !

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 17:14
Hiked half of GA last year with ambitions to do the whole section in a week. We came up short and could only do half. It's tough terrain extreme ups and downs one after another. We're 48 year olds in OK shape but could only manage 6-7 miles a day while in GA. Good luck. Hope to hike the other half this February.

Got me to thinkin' and I remembered that next to NH, GA has the greatest cumulative elevation gain/loss per mile (note: if the southern part of ME was its own state it would be right there with NH) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?49 Ups and downs aren't everything when it comes to difficulty, but the trail in GA is definitely one of the tougher sections.

drainwater
01-23-2012, 17:15
Hey fellow Hoosiers! We have a similar plan when we start our thru hike on the 13th of March. The knobstone is a great trail (minus the no water issue), but my Hoosier favorite it the AHT. The adventure Hiking Trail near Corydon. The trail is only about 24 miles, but is a challenging 24 and is a loop so could be yo yo'd for more mileage. Good luck!

TOMP
01-23-2012, 20:13
Think closer to 1200!There will be 100-150 0n some days as 3/1 and the soltice !

I thought only 1700 start in total, only leaves 500 for all other months. Sounds like too little for April.