PDA

View Full Version : Cheoah Bald?

Mr. Tea
01-09-2012, 17:12
Hey Everybody,

So here is the senario. In August of this year it will be me and my girlfriend's two year anniversary. I have hiked Fontana Dam (NOC area) to Wessor. It is the only part of the trail I have backpacked. My girlfriend has never backpacked. I was planning on driving to stecoah gap and hiking to Cheoah Bald. I know its about 5.5 - 6 miles of rough terrain. And the water source is about 3/10ts of a mile down hill from the top of Cheoah. I was going to pop the big question that night when we get to cheoah. Any Advise about backpacking that part of the trail during august? Or any advise on a closer spot to Cheoah Bald to start back packing from?

Last time I hiked through Cheoah the morning my group left we saw a 6 foot Timber Rattler 15 feet from where i was sleeping that night.

Thanks for the Advise,
Mr. Tea

Mr. Tea
01-09-2012, 17:29
BTW any gear tips would be appriciated to. Last Time I went, it was part of a school trip (for Bowling Green State University) for part of a class and everything but food and clothes were provided. I need enough for 2. as far as packs go I was just going to get a couple of Coleman Packs from Walmart Since i don't go backpacking that much. They are pretty decent and about the same size as the ones i used on my week long trip 3 years ago. wow looking back that is a long time ago. ha ha

bigmac_in
01-09-2012, 17:30
Is there any way of talking you out of popping the question? :-)

I would recommend getting water at Locust Cove Gap before going up to Cheoah Bald. Getting to that water up there is no fun. I was up there late in the day last May and the insects were terrible. Made us change our mind and decide not to camp up there. Not sure if it will be that way in August.

By the way - we ran into a rattler at Sassafras Gap Shelter, north of the Cheoah. The register indicated it hung out around there.

Good luck.

Mr. Tea
01-09-2012, 17:44
Ha Ha unfortunantly not and ok get water at Locust Cove Gap ~ check! thanks

bigcranky
01-09-2012, 21:02
Are you still in school? Many colleges have a gear rental program through their outdoor club. Or you can rent packs, sleeping bags, and a tent from a local gear store or outfitter. You'll get much better gear this way, and it won't cost a lot.

August in the Southern Appalachians is pretty freakin' miserable. Hot, humid, the springs are starting to go dry, and did I mention it's hot? The trails are overgrown with briars and poison ivy, the bugs are thick, and the air is oppressive.

Not sure where you are in Ohio, or if you have your heart set on Cheoah, but if it were me I would head to the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area. It's an easy drive from I-77 and I-81, and I meet a lot of Ohioans there. Park at the Massey Gap parking area in Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia. Hike on the A.T. up Wilburn Ridge -- it's an open bald the entire way up the hill, not just at the top like Cheoah. You'll get much better views, you should get a decent breeze, the trail won't be as overgrown, and there are wild ponies. Plenty of camping areas near Rhododenrdon Gap, and the springs usually have some water in late summer.

Good luck with The Question. My experience with marriage leads me to highly recommend it as an institution.

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 21:45
Drive to the trailhead at Max Patch, you can set up on top and hike around from there. You dont want to load up on Walmart gear for a small hike Its sooooooo hot in August in NC, even in the mountains. Throwing a backpack on and hiking for the first time right now put her in any mood to talk about marriage. Get a tent and some Kelty type sleeping bags and some day packs.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 22:40
If you like this area - just drive to Telico Gap - hike north about 1 mile to the fire-tower - super cool place - camp about 1/4 mile north of the tower at Wesser Bald Shelter - relatively cool spot - good reliable water source (nice spring with a rock collection box)

Lone Wolf
01-09-2012, 22:46
If you like this area - just drive to Telico Gap - hike north about 1 mile to the fire-tower - super cool place - camp about 1/4 mile north of the tower at Wesser Bald Shelter - relatively cool spot - good reliable water source (nice spring with a rock collection box)more like 1.5 to the tower and .8 to the shelter

Papa D
01-09-2012, 23:06
more like 1.5 to the tower and .8 to the shelter

I totally sandbagged them - so sorry

Lone Wolf
01-09-2012, 23:07
no biggie :)

Papa D
01-09-2012, 23:09
no biggie :)

wait until you read my book - I'll have you doing 10 mile hikes just by saying that it's 8.4 - oh, wait, there is already a book that does that -- hmm - The Data Book??

Hikes in Rain
01-10-2012, 14:26
Also check the articles on the main page for one called "Dirtbagging it" (or something similar) for lots of good ideas for gearing up for cheap.

Juice
01-10-2012, 14:34
So my question would be, does your GF have any interest in backpacking? If not, then taking a girl who's never backpacked before into 6 miles of rough terrain in hot August weather near rattlesnakes might ruin the mood. Just sayin"

Kerosene
01-10-2012, 16:09
For a first-timer I would definitely recommend camping atop Max Patch, especially if the forecast looks great. Easy to get to, easy to lug water from the car, incredible views, perhaps a few other people camping up top that you can share the stars with if you want.
Note that the water source downhill of Cheoah Bald is closer to half a mile. Start downhill just right of center and you'll eventually hit woods road. There's a little sign for Mudcap Spring way up on a tree on your left. You'll follow a narrow trail marked by colored plastic ties down through rhododendron to a small, shallow but clear spring where you'll likely need a dip cup. I was there is mid-May and the bugs weren't too bad, but the foliage is pretty close down there. Be careful to return the way you came (I lost the trail and bushwhacked back up to the woods road, which was dumb, especially since I was by myself).

Old Hiker
01-10-2012, 16:24
Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, "Will you marry me?"

The Princess said, "No!!!"

And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and dated skinny long-legged full-breasted women and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and banged women half his age and drank whiskey, beer and Dewars and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and kept his house and guns and ate spam and potato chips and beans and blew enormous farts and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family and nieces and nephews thought he was frickin cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up. The End

As my brother counseled me on the day of my own wedding 36 years ago:

RUN!! RUN NOW!!

Seriously, how about loading up the camping gear, pretending to drive to a trailhead, but instead, going to a great 4-5 star hotel and popping the question there? Room service, pool, A/C. When we were on Cheoah last Aug, we couldn't find the water, it was fairly warm, but we were the only Scout Troop there. The overlooks were great.

Good luck. "They" told me and my bride-to-be that teen-age marriages don't last. I'm still waiting.

Mr. Tea
01-10-2012, 17:53
@ Old Hiker I enjoyed the story ha ha. And thanks for the advise ya'll. And @ Juice yea she is, but I'll keep that in Mind. Is it bad that she hunts more than I? HA HA. One of the reasons I picked Cheoah is b/c I remember the trail (and its the only part of the trail I have backpacked so far) and the scenery but I'll check out pictures and maps of other locations that you all are posting.

BlackCloud
01-11-2012, 01:08
Drive to the trailhead at Max Patch, you can set up on top and hike around from there. You dont want to load up on Walmart gear for a small hike Its sooooooo hot in August in NC, even in the mountains. Throwing a backpack on and hiking for the first time right now put her in any mood to talk about marriage. Get a tent and some Kelty type sleeping bags and some day packs.

I second this. Hike to Cheoah Bald from the north & she WILL say no.