PDA

View Full Version : One headlamp is not like another....

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2012, 20:09
2 headlamps did not pass my personal quality controls in the field.

Eveready 8 led and Ptec Byte me. They Suckethhttp://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ptec-headlamp.jpg

dla
01-09-2012, 20:13
I don't have any experience with the Eveready, but I totally agree with you on the Byte - it seriously "sucketh".

MissMagnolia
01-09-2012, 20:23
Which ones did pass?

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2012, 20:26
Neither........................................... ..............

Papa D
01-09-2012, 20:28
My go to headlamp is the Black Diamond Spot

www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=15&gs_id=2h&xhr=t&q=black+diamond+spot+headlamp&pq=black+diamond+headlamp&safe=off&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1695&bih=879&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7270716324723230841&sa=X&ei=A4YLT6nNLsbWtweFit3aBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CIsBEPICMAI#ps-sellers

lemon b
01-09-2012, 20:36
I use either Blackdiamond or a Costco one I got at the plant. However usually I just carry a small rubber no name yellow flashlight these days.

bigcranky
01-09-2012, 20:54
+1 on the Black Diamond Spot. Very bright spotlight main beam, two smaller LEDs for camp use, red LEDs for night use, and a lockout so it doesn't come on in my pack and drain the battery.

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2012, 21:12
+1 on the Black Diamond Spot. Very bright spotlight main beam, two smaller LEDs for camp use, red LEDs for night use, and a lockout so it doesn't come on in my pack and drain the battery.Add that it dims too, which I find very desireable. You can dim it enough to read by or find something without it glaring at full brightness.

ljcsov
01-09-2012, 21:36
I have enjoyed my Princeton Tec Fuel. Not too expensive and simple controls to keep it easy to use. Also, it has a pretty strong beam that worked well when hiking up rocky steep mountain to see a sunrise.

jakedatc
01-09-2012, 21:37
Petzl Tikka XP2 has high/low and red too. Petzl always seems to be ahead of BD in terms of LED's they are the top 2 for headlamps for sure though.

dshideler
01-09-2012, 21:41
I second the Princeton tech fuel. I like its push button. I had a petzel and didn't like having to take a glove off and pretty much use my fingernail to slide the button over.

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2012, 21:52
Part of why this was started is that I take a moment and put fresh batteries in there and set it aside for 30 days. I stuff a reminder into the smart phone and check it and the batteries were done.

kreate
01-09-2012, 22:27
+1. the PT Byte SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. for me its not the pattern or even brightness, it seems to suck down the batteries like no other. I do however like the PT Remix.

Tinker
01-10-2012, 00:19
2 headlamps did not pass my personal quality controls in the field.

Eveready 8 led and Ptec Byte me. They Suckethhttp://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ptec-headlamp.jpg

The PT light "Bytes". ;) (They should have given more thought to the name).

I have a Matrix, which I use most of the time. I bought it for my bicycle and retrofitted a strap I took off of another ( but dead) headlamp.

bflorac
01-10-2012, 03:28
Just for those older folks like me that wear bifocals. You need to get a light that will aim to a point you can focus on it. I found a number of them did either rotate down, or if they did, it was not far enough or the indents were in the wrong spot to put the light right in my field of focus. I have not looked at the latest models but I found the PrincetonTec Quad works great for me.

RetroGear
01-10-2012, 03:50
Surefire Minimus. Reliable. Rotation angle and brightness (0 to 100 lumens) infinitely adjustable. Pricey (like all Surefire flashlights), but if you don't want a plasticky, ratchety, flimsy, made-in-some-third-world-country pretend headlamp, you don't have many choices.

Did I say reliable?

jersey joe
01-10-2012, 10:28
Surely there are different categories for headlamps depending on use?!?
A headlamp that is great for night hiking might not be the same as a headlamp that is great for reading in your tent.

mrclean417
01-10-2012, 10:41
I've got little problem with the Coleman one I bought last year, then again it IS better then the 1 dollar one I got off DailySteals but I like that one too. The one problem I have with the coleman one is it has a battery gauge using 3 leds on the bottom of it and the dang leds are bright even when you've got the light turned down. Very distinctive and although it has the red and blue LED options, which is freaky, I don't know what those bright green leds shining in my eyes do to night vision. Thinking about just giving them a coat of magic marker, see if that calms them down.

The Black Diamond Headlamp, does it have irritating lights that shine in your eyes AND is it better then the Coleman AND why?

DeerPath
01-10-2012, 10:52
Just received my new Petzl Tikka XP2 - used it on the Florida Trail this past weekend, it is great.

TyTy
01-10-2012, 11:41
Two of the better Petzl's are on sale right now at REI.com

http://www.rei.com/product/791313/petzl-tikka-xp-2-led-headlamp

http://www.rei.com/product/791312/petzl-tikka-plus-2-led-headlamp (http://www.rei.com/product/791313/petzl-tikka-xp-2-led-headlamp)

FlyPaper
01-10-2012, 11:54
+1 on the Black Diamond Spot. Very bright spotlight main beam, two smaller LEDs for camp use, red LEDs for night use, and a lockout so it doesn't come on in my pack and drain the battery.

+2 on Spot. After using Wal-Mart headlamps, I notice a few other advantages to the Black Diamond.

1. The switch is quiet. With my previous headlamp, I'd be in the shelter after people are sleeping. Every time I'd turn the headlamp on or off, I'd have to cycle through 5 settings, each one making a click loud enough to wake someone. The Spot is both quiet, and requires one button press to turn on and one button press to turn off.

2. You can use the red LED without cycling through the white lights.

3. It is weather resistant and more durable.

4. It is very bright when necessary.

5. It has a warning LED to warn you of the battery level getting low. Although I think this might be a tad too pessimistic for it to be super useful. It at least recognizes fresh batteries and tells you they're fresh. But when it tells you the batteries are low, you probably actually have lots of life left. I have to say, this is a cool feature even if it doesn't quite work right.

The one down side is that it is a bit heavier than cheaper head lamps.

If you work for Black Diamond, please PM for information on where to send my endorsement check.

Tinker
01-10-2012, 13:48
Surely there are different categories for headlamps depending on use?!?
A headlamp that is great for night hiking might not be the same as a headlamp that is great for reading in your tent.

A light with a high/low mode is nice, and some have a medium, too. I have a Remington light which I use only in winter because it is heavy, but it is extremely bright and includes a low draw red led led (and a blue one, too, which, in combination with the red one, is supposed to help you follow a blood trail, if hunting is your thing). With 4 AA batteries, it lasts a long time, but there are better lightweight options for other conditions.
Carol Wellman, aka "Brawny" who owned her own small cottage ul business for a few years, only carried a Photon with a red led light on her 2005 AT thru. She only used it for trips to the privy or around camp, and it was all she needed.
Ymmv - mine does. :)