PDA

View Full Version : What kind of booze do you carry?

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 21:58
for those of us that carry booze, what are some of the "campfire libations" you like to hike with. I typically like Jameson but sometimes will mix it up a little.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 22:01
AH HA!! A post I like!! RUM matey - high proof - fast and light - - now, of course if you want to sherpa it in for me, I'd enjoy a little wine - thanks.

10-K
01-09-2012, 22:04
That's one way to stay out of towns. :)

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2012, 22:07
After a lot of thought on this, one should not carry any! but I sometimes argue with myself.... so here is the rub... practical idea would be Maker's Mark sippin Bourbon.... if available - top quality moonshine, smooth for cleaning wounds and drying out fungus foot. Yea small hip pint bottle. Forget Everclear - sucks!

Yea I am with the SOUTH in heart. ,,,,, Hard to understand when the owl is from Paoli?

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 22:07
Sailor Jerry is always a good rum choice.

Rocket Jones
01-09-2012, 22:09
Dewar's White Label. Depending on how many days, either a 4oz or 8oz nalgene flask.

jfarrell04
01-09-2012, 22:10
crown royal with a splash of cold spring water...also we usually bring some vodka and mix with kool-aid, really weak kool-aid, either cherry or lemonade

leftorright
01-09-2012, 22:14
strawberry stoli vodka- mixes very well with tang. Smooth enough warm drinks without ice are not a problem.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 22:14
Maybe I'm just a lightweight (or a moocher) but a half size nalgene of rum can get me at least 150 miles if I have a sip every other night or so

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 22:17
I will admit that the plastic travels of Evan Williams are awesome

CrumbSnatcher
01-09-2012, 22:18
i've carried a 12 pak of beer out of town a couple times in my collaspable water bag with a bag of ice in it, usually for no more than 1-3 miles out of town :-)

Papa D
01-09-2012, 22:22
I hiked with 2 thru hikers about 200 miles in '08 who carried 24 beers and 24 Hot Dogs between them from Linden, VA to Sam Moore Shelter -- 22 miles!!

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 22:25
I hiked with 2 thru hikers about 200 miles in '08 who carried 24 beers and 24 Hot Dogs between them from Linden, VA to Sam Moore Shelter -- 22 miles!!

We probably know them :)

hambone5126
01-09-2012, 22:26
im a jim beam kinda guy myself. last time i packed it in, i got pretty cozy with a small bottle on the 4th of july last year. maybe a little too cozy for my own good.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 22:32
We probably know them :)

Stretch and Slot Machine

Calculator
01-09-2012, 22:36
A half gallon of old crow fits perfectly inside 3 20 oz. vitamin water bottles. Just so ya know.

Born to roam
01-09-2012, 22:52
Cruzon black strap rum,or port wine,in one of those goatskin sacks.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 23:00
Cruzon black strap rum,or port wine,in one of those goatskin sacks.

I think those things are called "botas"

d.o.c
01-09-2012, 23:07
get my corn from a jar..:)

RWheeler
01-09-2012, 23:11
I'm a Jager guy. A little sip tucks me in and keeps my toes warm all night.

Born to roam
01-09-2012, 23:31
Thankx Papa D. you are correct on that sack. I am focused on Ala/LSU game as outcome will bankroll my 2012 thru hike.

Storm
01-09-2012, 23:57
A wee bit of scotch is always nice but I'm too dang lazy to carry any.

Summit
01-10-2012, 00:30
Beer at home . . . no alcohol on the trail for me!

rocketsocks
01-10-2012, 00:56
Well,if I were to fall off the wagon,I guess I would prefer you carry tequila.:D

Slo-go'en
01-10-2012, 01:42
Well,if I were to fall off the wagon,I guess I would prefer you carry tequila.:D

Definately Tequila - especially for areas with sketchy water - who needs auqia-mira when you got tequila? A shot or two now and again will keep those pesty tummy bugs at bay...

EastCoastFeastCoast
01-10-2012, 01:53
As gram weenie the obvious choice is shine. However that's a very vague answer. White lightning is always strong, but doesn't taste all that great by itself- you can add a crystal light packet if you want to ruin it. Last time I went out with shine, I had a 1-year aged blackberry that tasted sweet as wine and got me just as "liberated" as white lightning. Love me some Apple Pie flavor as well.

Whiskyjo
01-10-2012, 02:20
good old number 7 Black Jack

SCRUB HIKER
01-10-2012, 04:36
A half gallon of old crow fits perfectly inside 3 20 oz. vitamin water bottles. Just so ya know.

Well put. For me, I packed out a fifth of George Dickel (the kind with the white cap, plastic bottle) a few times last year. Tastes great, and is an easy way to make friends. It's also really fun to say. If you walk into a liquor store and say, "Tell me what's good in plastic bottles," you can't lose.

max patch
01-10-2012, 09:58
for those of us that carry booze, what are some of the "campfire libations" you like to hike with. I typically like Jameson but sometimes will mix it up a little.

Jamesons is good as is Bushmills. To me Makers Mark tastes best when ice is not available.

snorz
01-10-2012, 10:12
crown royal with a splash!

mrclean417
01-10-2012, 10:21
HA! Last week it was "If I even SEE a cell phone on the trail I'll explode!" or "Sunflower Seeds? LITTER!!!" and this week its "Whatcha all Drinking?"

Well I can see why you don't like cell phones and sunflower seeds. One gets in the way of your drinking and the other creates too many obstacles to trip over!

No seriously, long as your not a sloppy drunk bothering me I could care less what you do on the trail, I'll just walk a little farther along and set up away from ya. I just thought it was funny what's hot and cold on the forum.

Party on.

RWheeler
01-10-2012, 10:25
HA! Last week it was "If I even SEE a cell phone on the trail I'll explode!" or "Sunflower Seeds? LITTER!!!" and this week its "Whatcha all Drinking?"

Well I can see why you don't like cell phones and sunflower seeds. One gets in the way of your drinking and the other creates too many obstacles to trip over!

No seriously, long as your not a sloppy drunk bothering me I could care less what you do on the trail, I'll just walk a little farther along and set up away from ya. I just thought it was funny what's hot and cold on the forum.

Party on.

I don't think people are talking about getting "sloppy drunk", just different kinds of things to have sips of. At least, that's the impression I got.

DeerPath
01-10-2012, 10:54
I'm a "Tennessee Squire" so I drink Gentleman Jack on the trail.

mrclean417
01-10-2012, 10:58
Oh I understand, I've got a whole family of sippers.

Alligator
01-10-2012, 11:26
Me too, and when we get together we even drink out of those little cups.

Jamesons on trail, tequila in the winter. I am opening up to a little burbon recently.

quilteresq
01-10-2012, 11:26
My absolute fav is Baily's, but it's seriously not worth carrying on the trail. I think I'm with the 151 Rum guy, if I were to carry anything.

Ender
01-10-2012, 11:30
Good bourbon or scotch usually, or a really good aged rum.

Also, sometimes I bring along wine made by these guys...
http://www.botabox.com/
It's actually good wine, but boxed so you're not carrying the weight of the glass. I'll bring out a 500ml box of that, a frozen steak, a potato and small onion and aluminum foil, start a fire, and eat a forest feast that makes all other hikers jealous. Yummah.

rhjanes
01-10-2012, 11:38
One Tequila, Two Tequila , three Tequila , FLOOR!

I carried 24 cans of beer up to the top of Old Rag Mountain, plus camping gear. I had my "turtle" initiation up there. Gawd were the stars spinning. I was young and stoopid and would not do that again.
On trail, maybe a small amount of some premo single malt scotch or some nice bourbon.

Sailing_Faith
01-10-2012, 11:47
Good bourbon or scotch usually, or a really good aged rum.

Also, sometimes I bring along wine made by these guys...
http://www.botabox.com/
It's actually good wine, but boxed so you're not carrying the weight of the glass. I'll bring out a 500ml box of that, a frozen steak, a potato and small onion and aluminum foil, start a fire, and eat a forest feast that makes all other hikers jealous. Yummah.

Yup. Box wine bladders weigh almost nothing, if you can find the 1l boxes they work out pretty well.

Also worth while are small bottles of cognac.... something about a firepit and cognac...

Gray Blazer
01-10-2012, 11:53
I only drink when the forecast calls for pain.

Ewker
01-10-2012, 12:03
Bulleit Rye Whiskey...so smooth

Rcarver
01-10-2012, 12:25
Evan Williams Bourbon.

Lando11
01-10-2012, 12:42
i 2nd bulleit rye. never going to forget slugging some on a sunday a.m ontop of Big Bald in the Roan Highlands.

i learned this year that pbr is a thru hikers favorite beverage

brian039
01-10-2012, 13:16
I had to go with Canadian Mist on my thru, it's the only thing I could find in a plastic container. Chased it with Jellybeans.

Hikes in Rain
01-10-2012, 13:19
Last longish hike was Bacardi 151, on the theory that there was more bang for the ounce (or something like that, and that if worse came to worst, I could burn it in my alcohol stove. (Have to be desparate for that!) Ever sipped it straight? Whooo, that burns! Alternatively, brandy, bourbon or scotch.

Espero
01-10-2012, 13:57
AH HA!! A post I like!! RUM matey - high proof - fast and light - - now, of course if you want to sherpa it in for me, I'd enjoy a little wine - thanks.

+1 . . . 151 rum. Try a "Fuzzy Leprechuan" ( 1 1/2 oz. 151 Rum and 8 oz. Gatorade). It puts the high in hydrate.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2012, 14:11
anyone can carry a 12pk. inside the backpack, easy/chessy... I know just put it in the creek right?
i guess i may be the only dumbass that ice's down the beer before leaving town? never had any complaints from anyone i ever handed a ice COLD beer! too though :D

Tinker
01-10-2012, 14:30
Whoever's moderating deleted my post along with another post which referred to yet a third post about smoking something instead of drinking. I guess it is off topic, but I have a feeling that the real reason for the deletion, oh, excuse me, censure of all three posts was the use of a partial bible verse used to justify an illegal action and my response to it as the abuse of scripture to justify one's intent to do something contrary to scripture - not because it involves a particular action, but because that action is illegal and the use of said scripture was out of context and deceptive.
It is legal to drink, however, so I won't go there except for reminding folks to do it responsibly.
On topic - I used to carry Bacardi's 151 because of its high alcohol content, but, honestly, I hate the stuff. I occasionally carry peppermint schnapps, for peppermint patties with hot chocolate, but usually limit my drinking to town or the first day out and might have a nice cold beer (but I don't get drunk anymore).

The mind is a terrible thing to waste. ;)

This might be a good time to point out that my father was a functional alcoholic, something I was afraid of becoming. Functional alcoholics can hold down a job and have a social life, but life for their family is usually hell (and they feel disrespected because they are, and unloved because their loved ones often pity them as much or more than they love them). :(

Odd Man Out
01-10-2012, 14:41
Probably one of these:

Talisker - Single Malt Scotch
Boxed Wine (dry red of some kind)
Brewery Vivant (Belgian style beer in a can)
Kvint (a very obscure cognac from the even more obscure "country" of Transnistria)

Blissful
01-10-2012, 15:47
get my corn from a jar..:)

Spoken like a true Virginian...

dmax
01-10-2012, 17:32
1. Woodfords reserve
2. shine
3. beer [on ice] its nice having an external frame

rocketsocks
01-10-2012, 18:49
many a fall was spent in the cool woods,with only a pint of Black Berry Brandy to warm me gizard.

Del Q
01-10-2012, 19:09
I have gone from Scotch, to Tequila (with limes and on one occasion, ice), recently high-octane bourbon............a careful part of my quest for yet ever lighter weight backpacking.........at 125 proof I can carry less for more kick.

Wicked strong in the woods after a long day..............I guess 151 rum would qualify as well.

bamboo bob
01-10-2012, 19:11
Knob Creek for me. There's a stretch of the PCT where some hikers try to drink 24 beers in the 24 miles between two hostels. But, hey.. that's California after all.

Tinker
01-10-2012, 19:17
Knob Creek for me. There's a stretch of the PCT where some hikers try to drink 24 beers in the 24 miles between two hostels. But, hey.. that's California after all.

It's been done on this side of the US of A, too. Hiking into Duncannon, Pa. during the Winter Warmer.

Duncannon Winter Warmer (2011) link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?70911-April-16-The-Duncannon-24&highlight=Duncannon

4eyedbuzzard
01-10-2012, 19:17
Kahlua and Vodka.

4thandgoal
01-10-2012, 20:37
J D cant go wrong with the sour mash!

Papa D
01-10-2012, 21:36
+1 . . . 151 rum. Try a "Fuzzy Leprechuan" ( 1 1/2 oz. 151 Rum and 8 oz. Gatorade). It puts the high in hydrate.

2 Januarys ago, my friend Alana and I hiked in Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness for a few days of winter (snow) trekking -- on the second night, we camped at Stratton Bald and the ambient temperature was -5 deg. not including the wind which was howling - it was so cold that our macaroni and cheese dinner went from boiling hot to frozen in about 3 minutes. We slept in zero degree down bags (and even though we are just plutonic friends attempted to share body warmth in the same solo tent with hot water bottles in each of our bags) -- ok, here is the funny thing - Alana had mixed some Jack Daniels and lemonade in a gatorade bottle - about 50% liquor - it froze SOLID. I had a little rum in a steel bottle that actually got "slushy" - we warmed it by our fire (build in a rock hole out of the wind a bit). You know you're doing something a bit crazy and off-kilter when the LIQUOR FREEZES

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 21:51
Spoken like a true Virginian... from franklin county nuff said...

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 21:53
i am from*

Sailing_Faith
01-10-2012, 22:02
Oh, something I forgot in my earlier post...

... 'hypothetically' one can transport a standard 750ml bottle of wine in a 32oz nagaline bottle.

... if one were to 'hypothetically' try this, one might be cautioned because the body is programed to drink at a certain 'hypothetical' rate from a nagaline bottle....

One COULD 'hypothetically' drink an entire bottle of semi-expensive Cab in a couple of minutes while sitting at at shelter and being accused of 'Bogarting' the vino...

Hypothetically of course... :rolleyes:

Papa D
01-10-2012, 22:04

... 'hypothetically' one can transport a standard 750ml bottle of wine in a 32oz nagaline bottle.

... if one were to 'hypothetically' try this, one might be cautioned because the body is programed to drink at a certain 'hypothetical' rate from a nagaline bottle....

One COULD 'hypothetically' drink an entire bottle of semi-expensive Cab in a couple of minutes while sitting at at shelter and being accused of 'Bogarting' the vino...

I could be a professional at that (hypothetically)

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 22:34
What????????????

No use this .......https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAqKxQvoXVpee_BzQOEfRs5j-SDw5FbPzQ8n_STyBC4RPfTVvxLA Wine platy been around almost two years... very UL

edit>>>> yea one of the coolest moment's was taking my 75 year old dad who is really into wine and treating him on the trail.... even had premium Stilton and crackers.

Papa D
01-10-2012, 22:41
What????????????

No use this .......https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAqKxQvoXVpee_BzQOEfRs5j-SDw5FbPzQ8n_STyBC4RPfTVvxLA Wine platy been around almost two years... very UL

edit>>>> yea one of the coolest moment's was taking my 75 year old dad who is really into wine and treating him on the trail.... even had premium Stilton and crackers.

mmm - Stilton and Port - yeah - I've carried that too ...

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 22:44
"One COULD 'hypothetically' drink an entire bottle of semi-expensive Cab in a couple of minutes while sitting at at shelter and being accused of 'Bogarting' the vino.." lol thats funny glad i wasnt one of the hypothetical observers haha

JAK
01-10-2012, 23:30
Please make me a drink of grain alcohol and rainwater, and help yourself to whatever you'd like.

LDog
01-10-2012, 23:31
Well put. For me, I packed out a fifth of George Dickel

Who doesn't like a trickle o' Dickle?

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 23:37
Who doesn't like a trickle o' Dickle?this............

d.o.c
01-10-2012, 23:39
i remember most everyone i hiked with was carrying a bottle of this haha memories.

LDog
01-11-2012, 00:09
Woodfords reserve or Knob Hill. Tho it occurs to me that I do know a gent who lives in E TN who regularly shows up at biker parties with some smooth liquor in glass jars ....

Jim Adams
01-11-2012, 03:35
Good Canadian whiskey...but no more than a gallon at a time.

geek

Lone Wolf
01-11-2012, 06:21
i like OP (other people's)

Maddog
01-11-2012, 07:11
Evan Williams Honey Reserve:)

Chaco Taco
01-11-2012, 08:20
I carried 12 year old Jameson Special reserve in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I got a cold and used it as a cough suppressant and sleep aid. Still had enough to toast on Katahdin. That 12 year old is a smooth whiskey. Big fan of Knob Creek. Always will carry shine if I can find it, little harder now in NH. Wak likes rum. Still can't wash the smell of Jack Daniels out of my nalgene :D

sailsET
01-11-2012, 09:20

No doubt, that would be amusing to watch! Probably best not to put any stronger spirits in that Nalgene, if one hoped to actually hike out of the shelter, and not incur permanent brain reprogramming. Thanks for that hypothetical warning.

Old Hillwalker
01-11-2012, 09:45
Adams Ale in all its glory

Lone Wolf
01-11-2012, 09:51
"One COULD 'hypothetically' drink an entire bottle of semi-expensive Cab in a couple of minutes while sitting at at shelter and being accused of 'Bogarting' the vino.." lol thats funny glad i wasnt one of the hypothetical observers hahame and Pirate would always get a $5 bottle of wine while in Hiawassee and dump it in our nalgenes. plus beer, bagettes and fresh meats. didn't share none of it

Hoofit
01-11-2012, 10:13
I like a little Scotch, Famous Grouse, but truth is, at the end of a long day's hike, even a shot or two of cheap Scotch went down just fine!

Northern Lights
01-13-2012, 00:55
Red wine, in my wine platypus, flavored vodka in my vodka platypus. Chocolate wine in my flask. I have to add some brown booze to my pack. I was at a shelter and offered up my wine and one of the hikers said "you're in Brown booze country now" So maybe some dark rum.

Kookork
01-13-2012, 01:32
[QUOTE=Chaco Taco;1237211]for those of us that carry booze, what are some of the "campfire libations" you like to hike with. I typically like Jameson but sometimes will mix it up a little.[/QUOTE

What kind of booze?

Alcoholic booze.....!!!:banana

Kookork
01-13-2012, 01:34
Definately Tequila - especially for areas with sketchy water - who needs auqia-mira when you got tequila? A shot or two now and again will keep those pesty tummy bugs at bay...

You and Tequila made me crazy,,,, la la laa la laa

I love poison in my blood.......

Sailing_Faith
01-13-2012, 01:42
Red wine, in my wine platypus, flavored vodka in my vodka platypus. Chocolate wine in my flask......

That stuff is WONDERFUL... I had never tried it since is sounded... gross. Wow, was I wrong!

Northern Lights
01-13-2012, 01:57
That stuff is WONDERFUL... I had never tried it since is sounded... gross. Wow, was I wrong!

Have you tried the raspberry chocolate wine, oh my it's the best!

louisb
01-13-2012, 08:48
Vodka or Rum for me. I would add Tequila but there would be no hiking the next day if I brought that.

--louis

Todd Tarbox
01-15-2012, 08:29
I'm bringing some Templeton Rye with me!!!!!

LDog
01-15-2012, 09:36
I started looking at those Nalgene flasks, then considered how much a flask of Knob Hill would weigh ... and I don't think the calories/oz would help justify it.

Hikes in Rain
01-15-2012, 10:04
So I guess the little silver flask I use is out of the question? I agree it's heavy, but is does have class!

RGB
01-15-2012, 10:27
O.P. Anderson aquavit.

LDog
01-15-2012, 10:49
So I guess the little silver flask I use is out of the question? I agree it's heavy, but is does have class!

Maybe I can justify it as a "comfort item."

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Dmeiz3Nq9H8/TxLlm_t59qI/AAAAAAAADf4/XGI0H988SwI/s640/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

That is the weight empty

virgil
01-15-2012, 11:12
I carry .5 liters of Jack Daniels, recently tried the J.D. Honey blend which was fine as well. On another subject, when I'm in town I drink beer, regional micro-brew if possible, or Sam Adams.

priebesj
01-16-2012, 18:57
I usually carry 151 (more bang for the ounce). Unfortunately, it seems Idaho bears like it too, as evidenced by the fact that one bit through my aluminum bottle and emptied it.

weary
01-16-2012, 20:06
I carry .5 liters of Jack Daniels, recently tried the J.D. Honey blend which was fine as well. On another subject, when I'm in town I drink beer, regional micro-brew if possible, or Sam Adams.
Which is what most of us do. I tried for years to avoid liking expensive whiskey and expensive beer. But gradually I've been won over. My favorites these days are Sam Adams or whatever local snob beer is available. (In Maine it's Shipyard.) Sadly, my current favorite bourbon is "Makers Mark," which costs twice as much and it's competitors. I know the taste isn't that much different, and the impact is the same. But we are creatures of our culture.

ERNMAN
01-16-2012, 20:29
Cognac.....

runt13
01-16-2012, 20:51
a flask of ''The Dimple Pinch''. very smooth blended scotch whiskey. very smooth!

hikerboy57
01-16-2012, 20:56
although i dont drink anymore, if you're a tequila lover try sauza commemorativo tres generaciones, aged in oak casks, tastes more like cognac than tequila. drink this and you'll never drink cuervo again.no lime and salt necessary.

earlyriser26
01-16-2012, 21:33
Wild Turkey 101. The only time I go ultra - lite

Mountain Mike
01-16-2012, 21:37
Wild Turkey 101. The only time I go ultra - lite

I like the way you think!

Doctari
01-17-2012, 14:51
97 proof Everclear for me! I know this sounds selfish, but I have yet to meet anyone else who can drink much of it so I don't have to share. LOL.
But also it will burn nicely in my stove if I need it to.

d.o.c
01-17-2012, 17:17
anyone gotten into fireball whiskey???

WingedMonkey
01-17-2012, 17:53
97 proof Everclear for me! I know this sounds selfish, but I have yet to meet anyone else who can drink much of it so I don't have to share. LOL.
But also it will burn nicely in my stove if I need it to.

Is that a mistype? Never heard of a 97 proof Everclear.

Summit
01-17-2012, 18:07
I usually carry 151 (more bang for the ounce). Unfortunately, it seems Idaho bears like it too, as evidenced by the fact that one bit through my aluminum bottle and emptied it.
Are you sure you remember what you did that night? Looks like a bullet hole to me! You didn't also happen to find your concealed carry empty and blame that on the bear also did ya? :D

Papa D
01-17-2012, 20:52
being that my next hike (in my re-hike of the trail) is from Hot Springs to Davenport Gap, I think it might be fitting for me to carry the little mason jar of moonshine that a good ol boy from around those parts gave me - I might transfer it to a little steel bottle before I launch

priebesj
01-18-2012, 15:02
Yup, it was a bear. Bear slobber everywhere. Shortly after stealing my 151, the bear came to visit me at the tent. At least he wasn't a mean drunk, he just looked at us for a bit and wandered off. Fortunately, the food was hung and untouched.

lissersmith
01-18-2012, 17:43
Ooh, I like a little scotch or Crown Royal to sip on...