PDA

View Full Version : breaking in shoes

strollingalong
01-10-2012, 00:03
just bought a pair of Salomon XA3d ultra 2s - felt just dandy in the shop. now my feet hurt after 2 hours walking. My only other hiking shoes worked a charm right off the bat. hmmm.... would a pair of shoes that hurt after 2 hours city walking ever be broken in, or just cut my losses and keep shopping?

leaftye
01-10-2012, 00:06
You don't need to break in shoes like that. They're best right out of the box and get worse with every step. If they're not working for you now, it's because you picked the wrong size, the wrong shoe, or your feet are weak. Without more information about your pain, there's no way for me to know what the problem is.

strollingalong
01-10-2012, 00:10
I'd say it were a combination of all 3. this is hard... I know more than all of the bloody Salomon and Merrell shop assistants in Mexico and that's saying something... just finding out what the shoes were called was hard enough

Summit
01-10-2012, 00:19
Foot pain for no obvious reason is often due to too soft a shank in the shoe. That's why I go with cross trainers (Merrell Moab Ventilators) rather than running shoes. Some peoples' feet can handle running shoes for backpacking and others' can't. Weight of your body and pack are also factors. I think people who weigh less than 170 lbs and carry less than a 25 lb pack are more likely to have positive experiences with running shoes.

rocketsocks
01-10-2012, 01:39
Often it's not the new shoe that needs breaking in,it's the feet that need to adjust to a new shoe.Give em little longer,might work out for you.

Lando11
01-10-2012, 01:46
my feet don't work with solomans either, return them asap. but for me, i tried on several pairs in stores, and none of them felt right(too tight in the mid-foot) in either wide or regular width. sometimes a brand just doesnt work for you and you will need to continue on your search for proper fitting shoes.

strollingalong
01-10-2012, 01:50
my feet are very soft and weak in comparison to a few years back, so that's playing a part... I think the insoles are also not great for my feet. Might try another insert.

bflorac
01-10-2012, 03:09
Shoe stores are not the best place try boots on. Find a good store with a good return policy. (I returned a pair that I wore for 2 weeks out in mud last year with out anyone even asking why)

Remember your foot will lengthen as you hike. Always by a 1/2 size larger. Boots are made from different "last". The last is what defines the shape of the foot the boot is designed for. Even boots from the same manufacture might have different Lasts and the Manufacturer should be able to define what kind of foot it was designed for (for example (http://www.shopnewbalance.com/information/product_information.asp?pageType=lasts)) Having said that, even boots with the same Last, from the same manufacturer can have different feels. For example I have very wide feet with a high arch. This rules out about 95% of the boots out there. Two years ago I bought New Balance MO1500GT boots. Ok, I used them, a bit heavy but they never feel "great". However last year I found the New Balance MO1000BY. This boot fits me like a glove. I wear them all the time. Just the right width, just the right toe room. And so ended my 4 year search for the the perfect boot. (However I'm thinking of trying trail runners this year)

ekeverette
01-10-2012, 08:51
bought the same pair, and they did the exact same thing.... started hurting under my arches... they were to narrow also.... bought merrells maob vents. feel great.... i have really wide feet.

Tenderheart
01-10-2012, 14:57
Unfortunately, advising someone which shoes to buy is like advising them which size pants to buy. Basically, feet fall into three categories: high arch-neutral cushioned shoe, normal arch-stability shoe, and flat arch-motion control shoe. Then you get into wide and narrow heel and then wide and narrow forefoot. This can be an expensive process but can be helped by knowing your foot type and seeking a knowledgeable salesperson. Good luck!!

strollingalong
01-11-2012, 00:57
cheers guys. I don't think knowledgeable hiking salespeople exist here. rock climbing yes, hiking no. Ima check out some Merrells (only other brand here)