PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Weight vs. Ultralight Tents

jdsmerud
01-10-2012, 00:09
New here, but long time backpacker. I started using my hammock almost exculsively 2-3 years ago (ENO single nest), but over those years I have transitioned back to an ultralight tent. I love the open air "feel" of sleeping in a hammock, but I couldn't justify the extra weight. The hammock itself weights 1lb 10oz and the canopy (I use a Speer Winter Canopy, as I am out in the cold alot) weights 1lb 4oz. My Big Agnes Fly Creek only weights 2lb 2oz. Thats a pound of weight savings, less if I leave the actual tent at home and just use the footprint and fly. I've read alot on here about folks lightweighting/ ultra-lightweighting with hammocks and was wondering if maybe there was some new lighter options out there I was unaware of.

Tinker
01-10-2012, 00:28
My hammock, straps, stakes, and fly weigh 32 oz.

My bug net (ENO) weighs 16 oz. when needed.

So, for three pounds I have everything I need for shelter besides a sleeping bag. I currently have two hammock bags. One weighs 1 lb. and is good to 50 degrees. The other weighs 1-1/2 lb. and is good to 30 degrees. Both together are good to 5 degrees (with clothing and a hot water bottle).

For 5-1/2 lbs. I have my "Tent" sleeping pad (that's the hammock itself, much softer than the thickest, most expensive pad), and my two sleeping bags (giving me MUCH more versatility than one bag alone), and I can sleep down to 5 degrees F.

Not bad. ;)

Raul Perez
01-10-2012, 01:11
I did a blog a while ago about this:

http://watermonkey.net/2011/08/27/tents-hammocks-the-weight-saga/

There you go!

Raul

R1ma
01-10-2012, 17:00
I'm a bit of a wuss. I've never gone with just a tarp/tarptent. When I was a ground dweller, I stuck to 3 or 4 season tents (I still pick the 4 season in the snow though ;) ). My tents were always in the 4lb range, so not ultra light by any means.
Besides the weight - for me - another big selling point for hammocks are the lower volume vs. a tent with poles. If you use hiking poles in lieu of poles, that's moot, but I don't use hiking poles either.

Anyway, my setup right now, which is good for me down to the 40s, weighs 83 oz (5 lb 3 oz)

Structure, bug, rain protection: Hennessy Expedition - 41 oz
Top insulation: old 550 fill down bag - 36 oz!
Bottom insulation: blue CCF - 5 oz
2 stakes: AL, 0.5 oz ea

Heavy? Yes. I could cut 16 oz out with a lighter hammock, and quite a bit out of my top insulation, but I still wouldn't be in very ultra light territory. But the weight penalty for me is worth the comfortable sleep.