PDA

View Full Version : Training for 2013 Thru Hike

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-10-2012, 07:56
Hey guys, been researching training methods for a 2013 Thru hike, and haven't found alot. Id like to hear how people prepared for a thru hike in the past.

So far Im doing mid level Yoga 3 times a week (to build balance, ankle muscle and knees), Treadmill 5-6 times a week at 7% incline for 30-45 minutes a day, 2 days a week shoulder back and abs work out, 2 days a week legs. And swimming laps of the weekend till it warms up a bit here.

Thankfully I live in Atlanta, so im pretty close to the trail considering, and have been hiking on the trail twice a month for 5-8 miles per weekend. Once spring breaks, Ill be doing some over nighters on the trail or some like it once a month.

Ive modified my diet from Jager, Fat Tire, and Marlboro lights, to quitting smoking and alcohol for a month now intend to stay that way, to a diet of sorts put together by a nutrisionist friend of mine, apples, oranges, banana's, grapes, high carb, high protien.

Any thoughts or idea's would be greatly appriciated. Hope to see y'all on the trail!

Jeff

Spokes
01-10-2012, 08:05
As long as you don't show up carrying a pack that weighs 65+ lbs. you should be fine.

Transient Being
01-10-2012, 08:38
I'm getting in shape by starting on Springer and heading north.....Your idea is probably better.

Storm
01-10-2012, 11:31
I'm hiking 6 to 10 miles 5 days a week with a loaded pack. Still feel like it isn't enough because no hills or even steps to climb in my area.

q-tip
01-10-2012, 12:24
I use the book "Climbing-Training for Pea,k Performance" by Clyde Soles--Great Program. I suffer enough so training is critical for me.

MissMagnolia
01-10-2012, 12:39
I can't tell you how it's working yet, since I just started using the aerobic training methods in the book, "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Dr. Philip Maffetone and Mark Allen. But this is what I'll be doing before I leave for my thru-hike in April.

leaftye
01-10-2012, 12:45
Your workout plan looks great. I'd add a couple small things.

Walking for speed heats up my feet more than jogging, which will toughen your feet more, especially in the places where you'll need it. It also teaches your body the biomechanics of walking quickly. Doing this in the city should be fine. I wouldn't do it on a treadmill...it feels different, and not as helpful if you're training your body how to move.

Do balance exercises at home while barefoot to gain additional ankle strength, and also strengthen your feet. This can be as simple as balancing on one foot.

Do your running and walking in minimalist shoes to help your feet get stronger.

Do shin splint exercises to avoid pain on the trail. This is basically pulling your feet up. Find a weight or bungee to provide resistance.

Other than walking, these don't have to consume any extra time because you can do most of it while doing other things. Like you can balance on one foot while cooking, and workout your shins while watching television or using the computer.

garlic08
01-10-2012, 14:23
Congratulations on your preparations and good luck with it. On my thru hike, I was amazed at how many people showed up unprepared. A thru attempt is a major investment in money, time, career, and family support. It just makes sense to get ready for it. I personally spent the winter on XC skis in Colorado and hiking in the lowlands, 20 or more miles a day as the time approached, climbing 3000' or more per outing where possible. I was in peak hiking condition when I hit Georgia, and it almost seemed too easy. Leaftye's home exercises are excellent ones--I did all those with a doc's advice.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-10-2012, 15:30
Thank you guys, all of these are fantastic idea's. Except cooking on one foot, i have a bad enough time trying to make a pizza pocket :P

Transient, Im not sure where you are from, but i'd suggest doing something before the hike, im not sure how much you've packed, but ive lived in georgia most of my life, and the georgia side of the AT is NO picnic. I hiked 8 miles with a friend who summited Ranier a year ago, and it flat whooped her ass. Just a friendly note is all.

Leaftye, shins are probably the hardest thing for me to get in shape, i speed walk the tread mill, 3.5-4 mph at 7% and if im listening to a great song, i crank her up to 15%. But my shins are KILLING ME when i do it. I think that might be my weakest area.

Garlic I think you are dead on, i am putting my career and family on hold for 6 months to do this. I am so excited it's ALL I talk about and think about, ive given up most of my online activities to research AT stuff. :)

Thank you all for the input, these all help me alot in my quest to accomplish my childhood dream. Can't wait to see y'all on the trail!

Jeff

Feral Bill
01-10-2012, 18:04
How many car trips can you replace with walking or biking?

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-10-2012, 19:09
Yet another very valid point.

For Christmas a friend got me a back weight, its like a vest, 15 lbs from golds gym, that makes a HUGE difference in simple tasks like walking the dog, just went 3 miles with him and the weight made a simple asphalt walk a bit more challenging.

Thanks guys!

Transient Being
01-10-2012, 22:08
I hear ya' bro. I was actually just fooling around. I stay pretty active and have always been a runner, but the trail still kicks my butt! I've been hitting the treadmill with a 20 lb. pack for an hour at a time on full incline (it only goes to 15%) with 5fingers shoes, which are basically like being barefoot. I'm gonna up the time as March nears. Trail's still gonna kick my butt, just not as bad. I started doing Yoga about 2 years ago, and it is intense!, but I've been taking a break of recent, probably try to get back into that routine as well soon. Good luck!

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-10-2012, 22:33
LOL All good guy, i hear ya!!! I just know if i dont complete, it wont be because im not ready. I was up at Amicalola last year saw a guy make it all the way up the approach trail, and quit...8 miles and he'd saved up alot of money, quit his job etc...If theres anything i can do for ya, lemme know, im about 1.5 hrs from the trail head.

q-tip
01-11-2012, 11:29
One other thought--I lost 23 lbs. on Weight Watchers before I started. Essentially got my pack for free.