PDA

View Full Version : Refining my gear list - departing NOBO 3/2012!!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOO

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 12:08
Howdy all! Ok I am getting my gear list refined... trying to decide on a few things... here is my list so far.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5703

Some things are still missing....
Few thoughts on stuff
Small fuel canister or large? (using a pocket rocket with UL titanium small pot)
Sleeping bag liner? is it needed to help keep bag cleaner?
Tent footprint? or just be careful where i set up?
Compression sack for sleeping bag or just stuff it into pack? advise against compression sacks or for them?

Some stuff will be switched out like the footwear depending on weather. I would like to try to keep my BASE pack weight (before food/water/fuel) under 10lbs or so. Also not including what I would be wearing or have in my pockets. I assume around 12 lbs or food/water/fuel at leaving each town.

any opinions would be great.

ps... anyone wondering what Henry is...

TOMP
01-10-2012, 12:53
what is a pee bag? Please tell its not for what I think it is. No, what is a Henry? Your missing weights for a lot of items I hope they are factored into your total at some point. Everyone seems to think solar power wont work so id make sure you can use it before you bring it. I would try to charge it in the shade to see if it works at all or on your backpack during a hike. They also sell portable external battery packs for recharging if you really need it. I would also bring some kind of foot print or tarp because eventually you will have to set up after a drenching rain and everything will be wet. You can find something useable for a footprint under 9 oz. Store bought footprints are usually in the 16 oz range.

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 13:09
Tomp - the pee bag... hahahahahahahaha... I am a big mountaineer so i hate getting out of the tent at night. I carry a light nalgene 48oz platy... its like 2oz at most.. great for that middle of the night need to go to the bathroom and do not want to get out in the cold. If you get good you dont even need to get out of the sleeping bag!! just turn and dont miss :) lol

Henry - as seen in the picture... the Rubber chicken. He will be going on the hike.. no negotiating on that one :) I have carried a rubber chicken on every hike that I can remember, just a tradition.

I will check with the solar panel. I figured i could just clip it to my outside of pack and hike with it. It would dramatically cut down my time in towns needed for charging camera batteries and phone battery.

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 13:18
And i am filling in weights now

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 13:39
ok so i have it inserted into that geargrams site... how do i post a link here to show it? I cant get a public view for it to show up or something..

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 13:42
See above for the new gear list with weights...
let me know thoughts.

TOMP
01-10-2012, 15:14
Tomp - the pee bag... hahahahahahahaha... I am a big mountaineer so i hate getting out of the tent at night. I carry a light nalgene 48oz platy... its like 2oz at most.. great for that middle of the night need to go to the bathroom and do not want to get out in the cold. If you get good you dont even need to get out of the sleeping bag!! just turn and dont miss :) lol

By far the most disgusting and laziest item of gear I have ever heard of. How many times do you pee in the middle of the night? Once maybe 2 times at most, and then you have a nice bag of urine to spoon with and might freeze into a slushy in cold nights. This is the second laziest and most disgusting, Freshette Feminine Urinary Director.

Old Hiker
01-10-2012, 15:49
By far the most disgusting and laziest item of gear I have ever heard of. How many times do you pee in the middle of the night? Once maybe 2 times at most, and then you have a nice bag of urine to spoon with and might freeze into a slushy in cold nights. This is the second laziest and most disgusting, Freshette Feminine Urinary Director.

Got to backup pyroman on this one - how far do you, TOMP, walk away from your shelter when YOU have to go? Unless it's the recommended 200 feet, don't worry about it. Do you stumble over/past everyone else on your way to the privy? I'm elderly - I sometimes have to get up 3 times a night unless I'm totally exhausted and dehydrated. I used a bottle until I started hammocking. Now I walk out quite a ways.

Has pyro asked you to tent with him? Carry the bottle? Clean up any misses? If not, HYOH and let pyro hike his.

TOMP
01-10-2012, 16:39
Got to backup pyroman on this one - how far do you, TOMP, walk away from your shelter when YOU have to go? Unless it's the recommended 200 feet, don't worry about it. Do you stumble over/past everyone else on your way to the privy? I'm elderly - I sometimes have to get up 3 times a night unless I'm totally exhausted and dehydrated. I used a bottle until I started hammocking. Now I walk out quite a ways.

Has pyro asked you to tent with him? Carry the bottle? Clean up any misses? If not, HYOH and let pyro hike his.

Wow, didnt mean to make anyone angry about this. I guess the humor in my response was lost. Its just one of the those items where I dont feel the ends justify the means. If your attempting a thru-hike and a 200 ft pee walk is too much, you might be in trouble. I also sleep in a tent so no I dont stumble over anyone around me, use a headlight if you do. Has pyro asked me to tent with him no, has he asked for opinions on his gear list yes. And judging by his response to the pee bag he finds the item funny as well.

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 19:09
LOL ok all be nice :)

TOMP - Its actually very very common with mountaineering. I have hiked Aconcagua (22,851ft) and there it becomes a safety issue along with many other areas. First off it gets cold at night there... very cold. Then you have to worry about snow conditions and safety areas (set area around your tent where it is safe to walk free of crevasses ect..) So when i winter hike getting out of your tent and stepping into below zero temps is just foolish. Hence a lot of people use a pee bottle of some sort. As long as you know what your doing, hopefully you have lived long enough to perfect your aim.. lol. Then in the morning when you wake up you walk 200ft out and dump it out. Just make sure to label the bottle/bladder so you dont use it for anything else. Also nice for when its pouring out.. again, why bother. You are right though I mean most nights I never use it on a general hike, but there are those nights or early mornings when its just much easier. If you check some forums on summitpost and other places there are entire threads about the best kind of pee bottle... lol Welcome to the dark... yellow side :)

Eric

TOMP
01-10-2012, 19:36
it was my mistake, I mean you never make fun of a man's pee bag. As long as I dont have to hear about the poop hammock.

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 19:41
:-? Thats done in the vestibule :eek: not really....

lol

ok back to my gear list... please let me know thoughts... what can i cut/change.

TOMP
01-10-2012, 20:02
Gear wise it looks pretty solid, id add a journal, guide, first aid stuff, batteries, cell phone. Unfornately, it looks like your around 15 lbs instead of 10 lbs. But I think youll be good to carry 15lbs.

Don H
01-10-2012, 20:52
Looks good from what I see but I'm not sure I got the entire list. Looks like my list from last year.
First Aid? Bandaids, Neosporin, tweezers, sports tape (a few feet), etc.
TP and hand sanitizer?
I would take 3 pairs of socks, two to hike in and one to sleep in.
Cell phone, charge cord
Extra camera battery
For fuel use the small canister, most people only eat a hot dinner so it will last at least 2 weeks.
Leave the solar charger home
Leave Henry the rubber chicken home, he's 6 oz., won't carry his own weight and won't appreciate the views.
The chicken and the charger total a pound and a quarter.
And finally have fun!

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 21:37
Thanks for the feedback so far....

journal, guide, first aid stuff, batteries, cell phone

All on the list to add, just did not weigh it yet lol

The solar charger can be sacrificed if needed. But Henry STAYS!! lol That is not for discussion! Sorry tradition trumps there!

What other things can i sacrifice or replace to get lighter? Should i replace the neoair with the solite? if so why?

I am going to scrap the techwick pants as i think they are useless. I am debating on the sleeping bag silk liner? thoughts?

TOMP
01-10-2012, 23:02
What other things can i sacrifice or replace to get lighter? Should i replace the neoair with the solite? if so why?

Sure I did, because its lighter (8.2 for regular). You dont really lose anything comfortwise. Buy one, they are cheap, and see if you like it.

I am going to scrap the techwick pants as i think they are useless. I am debating on the sleeping bag silk liner? thoughts?

I've never used techwick but just get one pair of pants for hiking and one long johns for sleep. I like to hike in running tights and running shorts over it, then layer a pair of long johns on top for the night. I feel its lighter (9.0 oz) and more versitile then regular trekking pants. Also dries quicker.

I would keep the liner you may need it. You can always send it home if you dont, but I wouldnt want to find out that I need it and have to buy one on the way. Just send it home when you send the rest of the winter gear back.

You can but dont need to shave anymore ounces (with the additions youll be around 15-16 then you said tens lbs of food and water so 25-26lbs), just remember you will get alot lighter after the winter stuff is sent home. It looks like to gain any more weight savings you have to change some of the core gear for a lighter option. Your pants are 15.5 ounces you can find some for around 10, switch boots for trail runners, thermarest 20 degree bag is 22 ounces, consider a tarptent. But this can get expensive and the gear you have is solid.

pyroman9
01-10-2012, 23:26
The boots will be switched out for trail runners after the winter passes, they are warmer and will stay drier. I suppose i will keep the liner. I will look into the pants thing.. i am ditching the techwick pants. I will look into the pad, the only downfall is its not as compact but actually it would work nice as a support system for my pack because i ditched the pad in there to save weight... hmmm i may go grab one of those. As for a tarptent.. the savings are minimal compared to the obi elite once you have the system set.... luckily i work for a outdoor retailer so i get some pretty nice deals. hmmmmm as for the zip offs... i really like that ability and have always been a fan of them especially because they have multiple pockets (where my buff, camera, snacks for the day, bandana all go). I will weigh the first aid stuff tomorrow and add it on. Journal shopping to. First aid is hard for me being a EMT i tend to overpack.. time to get simple!! lol

PS Reading Awol on the AT right now... getting pumped up!!!

I think i will also grab a 2nd sleeping bag and switch that out after winter. I am thinking maybe a 32degree? ish... thoughts?

Mike2012
01-11-2012, 00:47
Thanks for the inspiration. I started working up my list and already at 14 pounds before tent and pad.

pyroman9
01-11-2012, 03:30
When are you heading out mike? I got some good old eddie vedder music playing and reading that book. Slowly thinking of things i need and dont need. I want to keep it very simple... but plan to have a few luxuries... like a rubber chicken! He has a tuff time getting around without me to carry him..

TOMP
01-11-2012, 04:07
society, society I hope your not lonely without Henry

pyroman9
01-11-2012, 13:20
Great song. lol. Tomp you going on the trail this year?

TOMP
01-11-2012, 14:05
yup I am leaving in March most likely on the 12 or 13 th NOBO. I have a gear list in the 2012 class section if you want to look. Its not quite as ul as you but I have everything I need, I hope. Let me know what you think.

pyroman9
01-11-2012, 14:11
I will take a look when i get home from work! Tomp your trail name? Very cool sounds like we will be meeting up sometime, first beer is on me! (or a clif bar).

TOMP
01-11-2012, 15:54
Cool, I havent picked a trail name yet but maybe tomp, its my first name and last initial and my old username from work.

pyroman9
01-11-2012, 16:23
fun fun. I may take the risk and let the trail name me... may be interesting.. lol we will see! More planning to be done tonight, hopefully will have my pack all packed up tonight and test it out this weekend in the mountains.

Don H
01-11-2012, 16:27
DUmp the chicken, keep the liner!

pyroman9
01-11-2012, 16:55
I will carry the extra weight and sacrifice a dessert each week :)

The chicken stays... final :cool::banana:cool:

BrianLe
01-11-2012, 18:19
Dump the liner, keep the chicken.

Why leather gloves?!? I suggest a warm mitten to start, such as the OR PL 400. Nothing leather. Perhaps, in fact, liner gloves and mittens. You're starting a bit later than I did, but still.

"I will check with the solar panel. I figured i could just clip it to my outside of pack and hike with it. It would dramatically cut down my time in towns needed for charging camera batteries and phone battery."

Since you live in NY, I'm assuming you're NOBO is on the AT rather than some other trail. In that context, dump the solar panel. Keep the chicken, but either leave the solar panel home, or sober up and mail it home along the way. I carried a solar panel thing (Solio) for more than half of the PCT and even on that trail I felt that I carried it too long, but SoCal is a whole lot different than the AT --- which has a lot of overhead cover to block the sun, and has so very many more opportunities to recharge along the way. Much better to just carry a spare battery (or two) for whatever device(s) you need to recharge.

"Dump the liner". Just my opinion, but the weight penalty is better applied to more down in sleeping bag or parka/coat. I used a liner when borrowing my wife's bag on the AT to keep it nice. I borrowed it again this year and didn't bother, nicer to just wash the thing at the end of the trip. Each to their own, of course, but I'm a lot happier without a liner.

I don't know what happened to the pee bag, don't see it on your list now. I use a pee bottle. Not in shelters, however! :-)

Perhaps re-post when you have what you believe is a complete list to review?

pyroman9
01-19-2012, 20:45
Just got me a circuit pack from ULA!! will be here in a few days!

pyroman9
01-22-2012, 11:23
Alright.. I am going to drop the solar panel and silk liner for the time being. May try the panel later in the trail when its actually nice out.

I am trying to decide on two things... rain pants? crocs for around camp and town? Thoughts? if so what is the lightest model crocs out there?

TOMP
01-22-2012, 11:59
Solar panel- if anything it will get more useless as the hike goes on and the trees fill with leaves.

For rain pants, just do a poncho or make a rain skirt out of a trash bag (the actual pants are heavy and hot to hike in, also seems like an unnecessary expense).

Crocs- to me these shoes fall in the middle between a usable hiking shoe and a camp flip flop. Thought this fad would fade by now but people seem to love em. So to me its the worst of both worlds, cant really hike any distance in them and they are way to heavy as a camp flip flop. Size 11 and up can weigh around 12 oz. If you just want a camp shoe make a flip flop out of a insole, they will work for this purpose and weigh next to nothing. Personally im not big on camp shoes. I have a pair of inov-8 trail running shoes that only weigh 16 oz I think they would be a better weight expendature than crocs or similar camp only shoes.

pyroman9
01-22-2012, 14:25
Tomp, you're great at arguing every piece of gear with me. I love it.

I will drop the solar panel for now, I feel bad cause my mom just bought it for me to take on the AT lol.. oops

Thinking of dropping the rain pants and buying that ULA rain kilt... VERY light and small.

I will run to the dollar store and grab some cheap flip flops and use those instead... light and easy to wear around camp to air my feet out.

Pack cover? UL dry sacks vs everything inside a compactor bag? thoughts?

Slowly getting there and refining my gear to just what I need and getting as light as I can.

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2012, 14:38
fun fun. I may take the risk and let the trail name me... may be interesting.. lol we will see!You might want to reconsider and choose a name. Names bestowed by other hikers are often based upon eccentricities, behaviors, etc. "P-Bag" just doesn't seem like one you may want to acquire.

kevperro
01-22-2012, 15:21
I'd drop the footprint, HD camera, and lots of clothing. I'd keep the rubber chicken.

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 15:36
I think you should take Henry . . . we're taking Baxter, although I do have kids with me . . . . but sometimes a mascot is a mascot and they just have to come along. life isn't always rational

TOMP
01-22-2012, 15:44
Sick of me yet? Sorry I feel kinda bad that Im the only responder, especially if you think my advice is crap...haha. But cant pass up good gear talk.

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2012, 15:57
Sick of me yet? Sorry I feel kinda bad that Im the only responder, especially if you think my advice is crap...haha. But cant pass up good gear talk.It is difficult not to comment on a gear thread with BOTH a pee bottle AND a rubber chicken. The pee bottle is definitely a luxury item and could be tossed. But Henry the rubber chicken is a definite keeper.

pyroman9
01-22-2012, 19:35
I actually got my trail name by a friend now. Fozzie it is! Read my journal page at trailjournals.com/ericmckinley.

And TOMP I really appreciate the help and debate as it makes me think deeply about each and every piece of gear I am bringing with me.

pyroman9
01-23-2012, 18:24

TOMP
01-23-2012, 19:51

Ive gotten stuck in a load of rain over the years. Gotten completely drench head to toe (Yes in my boots too but usually not because scarpa are awesome just dont submerge like i did). With that said I go overkill keeping my pack dry. Ever sleep in a trenched tent, or wet sleeping bag and you'll know why. So I do clothes, food, and sleeping bag in separate Sil-nylon sea to summit (only brand I trust) dry sacks. There are other brands and some of which have leaked on me (MSR, but I still love my MSR tent). I then put everything in a compactor bag inside the pack. I then use a 6.0 oz pack cover. The one I have now is made by gregory 65-85 L packs. Got it for only 16 bucks (geartrade.com). If you can make one from Sil-Nylon or cuben fiber that would be the best (albeit expensive). All pack covers I have used are only waterproof to a point and then after not so much (still fends off a lot of rain before it leaks(this is the why I also use the pack liner)). Its like a lot shell jackets they are water proof for 90 percent of rains but once in a while it just rains too much. I definately recommend using this system because I stay as dry as possible while not sacking weight. The pack cover is just to keep water off my pack and not the contents, thats what the dry sacks and liner is for. A wet pack is a cold and heavy pack. Imagine your pack is soaking wet and now your going to sleep and the low for the night is 25 F. Good luck thawing tommorrow, and I usually keep it in my tent so now you got a wet pack to cuddle with (In this situation I would put it in the pack liner). Anyway thats what I am/would do.

TOMP
01-23-2012, 19:53
Also consider Col. Sanders as a trail name, because of Henry.

pyroman9
01-23-2012, 20:15
col. sanders how so? explain this meaning

TOMP
01-23-2012, 20:56
because hes the KFC founder guy and Henry is a chicken.

handlebar
01-23-2012, 21:47
+1 on the ULA rain skirt. This really worked well in 3 consecutive days of rain at 45 to 50 degrees.

I didn't see a bear hang line. Even if you don't hang very often, it's still handy to have a line to hang sweaty hiking clothes on to dry.

On the AT, I found that I most often slept in shelters for a faster pack up in the morning. Be sure to take some ear plugs.

2 liter pot seems a little overkill. A 1.4 liter pot or smaller will save a few oz and still cook up a full box of Mac-n-cheese or a Liptons.

I found I never used the lower portion of my zip off pants, then switched to a kilt in Hot Springs (started Mar 15). Much better ventilation. Your legs won't be cold while hiking and if it's cold enough at days end that you need the bottom, just jump into the sleeping bag.

I don't know what your liner weighed, but my experience is that a silk liner adds several degrees to the bag's rating. Maybe you could substitute that for the the long underwear bottoms. Another plus is that it'll help keep your bag clean and keep the loft up. In the summer I slid my thermarest into the silk liner and slept on it like a sheet, pulling the unzipped bag over myself during the night if I felt chilled.

Dirty Girl gaiters weigh next to nothing and are handy for keeping duff out of your shoes/boots.

1/2 lb. first aid kit seems overkill. You're never very far from a road or town on the AT should an emergency arise. I assume the kit includes some ibuprofen, if not, I'd add that in and take out something else. Do you have some duct tape or atheletic tape? Can be used for emergency repairs, blister treatment, etc. Also add a needle with a large eye. You can use it and dental floss for emergency repairs.

Of course, if you're on a budget (who isn't?), then I say go with what you already have.

I didn't see a toiletries kit: toothbrush and paste, floss, sunscreen (until the trail leafs out), chapstick.

Also, since you've got a down bag, you might want to consider a dry bag as a stuff sack, along with either a pack cover or liner for your pack. Trash compacter bags make a good pack liner.

pyroman9
01-23-2012, 23:12
Tomp - I will definately consider it.. what does everyone else think?

Handlebar - Great review!!! Thats what I need most! I will read it very carefully and juggle things around. My first aid kit does have a little weight. One thing I carry which I do not really need is a pouch of Quick Clot - Being a EMT its something that is very useful in the rare case that i need it. I do agree that I most likely will never need it, but its hard to part with it all.

I will consider the liner - its 6 oz.

I think the ULA skirt may work well... we will see.

i will consider more later....

BrianLe
01-24-2012, 10:48
To the previous question about pack cover --- I've never been a fan. In part as I've often used a poncho in the past, which can act as a combination pack cover, rain jacket, and rain skirt all in one piece of kit.

But I live in the Pacific NW, and on the AT I really appreciated a pack cover, because I often found myself in the situation where it was raining but too warm to want to wear any rain gear on my body. Certainly a liner bag is adequate, but in a situation where a person doesn't need to hang anything bulky or pointed on the outside of the pack (rolled up mattress, ice axe, snowshoes, etc etc), I think that a light pack cover is worth carrying on the AT. For the CDT last year I bought a cuben pack cover from zpacks.com (http://zpacks.com/accessories/pack_cover.shtml), and appreciated that at just under 1 oz. Held up quite well; I did poke one hole in it, but cuben is easy to repair.

BrianLe
01-24-2012, 12:54
<removed duplicate system-induced post text, don't seem to be able to remove the post itself (?)>

Wags
01-26-2012, 11:54
clothing: looks good. if you are flush with cash i'd swap the MH beanie for a blackrock down hat. other than that = nice.
cooking: hard to cook w/ soap.
water treatment: majority of at users use AM.
kitchen: as others have said, ditch the 2L pot. you don't need that much hot water. look at MLD's 850 ml ti pot if you can. unless it's the dead of winter there's no need for a pee bag. ditch it.
none: as others have said, refine first aid kit. think ibuprofen, benadryl, immodium, a few bandaids, and some form of tape. keep it simple. your trail name may end up being rubix if you bring that. just an fyi.
shelter: as someone else said you probably don't need the tent footprint (unless you are planning to sleep at shelters some nights, and want to use that to protect your airmat). shelter is a bit heavy. if you have the cash look for a sub 20 oz shelter. there are plenty.
tools: looks fine as long as you have a plan for the gopro. otherwise i'd get a simple point and shoot.

items missing - water bottles, tp (unless that's in your first aid), cell phone?, i'd consider a backup to the bic. i try to always have 2 fire sources with me (even if it's another bic :D). i like the suggestion by others to get a rain skirt. i just got zpacks cloudkilt (1.6 oz :O)

pyroman9
01-26-2012, 23:14
clothing: looks good. if you are flush with cash i'd swap the MH beanie for a blackrock down hat. other than that = nice.

I was looking at these hats - are they windproof like the MH beanie? I have worn that for a long time and love the thing..

cooking: hard to cook w/ soap.

I have to refine the list a little - i plan to use the Pocket Rocket - do i need stove or should i just dirt clean?

water treatment: majority of at users use AM.

Planning on AM - works great

kitchen: as others have said, ditch the 2L pot. you don't need that much hot water. look at MLD's 850 ml ti pot if you can. unless it's the dead of winter there's no need for a pee bag. ditch it.

Its actually 1.5L - the nice thing is the lid fits on nice and the stove and fuel fits in the pot... is this worth it? Pee bag has been ditched just need to update page

none: as others have said, refine first aid kit. think ibuprofen, benadryl, immodium, a few bandaids, and some form of tape. keep it simple. your trail name may end up being rubix if you bring that. just an fyi.

I am working on the first aid now - just ditched the emergency blanket shelter as i have no use for it. Rubix is not the worst trail name lol - since i can easily do it. However I am liking colonel sanders so far...

shelter: as someone else said you probably don't need the tent footprint (unless you are planning to sleep at shelters some nights, and want to use that to protect your airmat). shelter is a bit heavy. if you have the cash look for a sub 20 oz shelter. there are plenty.

got the nemo obi 1p elite freestanding tent - kinda nice if i get stuck for a day - i prefer a free standing instead of trek pole

tools: looks fine as long as you have a plan for the gopro. otherwise i'd get a simple point and shoot.

I am going to do a nice time lapse of the trail i think - and its great video and fully weather proof which is nice. I have a olympus tough i will prob bring also

items missing - water bottles, tp (unless that's in your first aid), cell phone?, i'd consider a backup to the bic. i try to always have 2 fire sources with me (even if it's another bic :D). i like the suggestion by others to get a rain skirt. i just got zpacks cloudkilt (1.6 oz :O)

I have poland spring bottles i will use for water - light and easily replaceable. Cell phone I have to add in. Got the lighters - mini bics. Rain skirt has been ordered - next week I will post a new list.

This challenge on stuff is the best and going to refine my pack really well! Thank you so far for all the help. keep it going!

pyroman9
01-29-2012, 11:17
Howdy all! Just got back from a nice training hike. Hiked Mt Washington on friday, great time!

Updated my gear list - if you dont mind take a look and check it out and let me know what you think I am missing or should change.

Wags
01-29-2012, 11:27
-i have those exact trekking poles. i like them :D

-i think you forgot your pack itself on your updated list.

-i'm going to suggest you add an item. a bandanna. they are extremely useful and multipurpose items. i know you have the buff, but the bandanna does things that synthetic buff can do (wipe down your tent walls, pick up your pot out of the fire, wipe yourself down at the creek, etc).

-your list looks really honed in and the only way you are going to really lose weight is if you swap out your shelter, sleeping bag, or get rid of some of your "novelties". nice job...

STICK
01-29-2012, 11:59
Concerning the Black Rock Gear Down Hat, no it is not completely wind proof. In light breezes I have found it to be great, but if a wind picks up well enough I can feel some wind blowing through it. However, if it is cool enough and windy enough for me to wear the hat, then I will probably have my wind jacket on too. So, in this case, if a strong wind comes on and doesn't stop then I simply pull the hood on my wind jacket up. No wind at all then.

Also, considering the hat is not completely windproof will allow it to be a little more comfortable in slightly warmer weather too, at least for me it has been. What I mean by this is it may be just a little cool without a hat, but with this one it is fine for me. Once I get too hot to want a hat on the air temperature is not very cool and I am fine. (If that makes sense.)

I have one of the Mountian Hardwear windproof dome hats and I found it too be way too hot. Sure on those cold mornings it was nice but as soon as I started hiking I had to come out of it. But like I mentioned above, I would then feel just a little chilly but knew if I put the MH hat back on I would burn up. So, the BRG down hat has filled a nice little niche for me.

I know that these are expensive hats though, so a simple knit hat would be a fine replacement. Or one of the ZPacks Micro-Fleece hats (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/fleecehat.shtml) for $13 would be a great lightweight alternative. For me though, those windstopper hats are something I wouldn't want until I was heading out in conditions where 0F would be the highs...

Then again, if the one you have now works great for you, then keep it and no extra money is needed!

And good luck on your hike...Can I say I am seriously jealous...

pyroman9
01-29-2012, 13:14
Bandana - how'd i forget!!! lol Added.

Pack - Added (man that hurt my weight)

As for the hat.. good point I am used to hiking in much colder weather - I will look for a alternative and see what I want to do.

I am thinking of downgrading my bag to a 30degree bag... but i may get cold early on so I am going to wait on that one....

as for the shelter - I am timid to change it because i could not get anything much lighter than 2 lbs that will provide full weather protection. I like the freestanding tent oppose to the trek pole tents - i do not want to deal with that. I am just under 15lbs base weight right now which is pretty nice..

Any other thoughts?

Thank you so much for all the help so far!

MaybeTomorrow
02-03-2012, 11:10
DUmp the chicken, keep the liner!

Or how about some chicken feet shoes? Dual purpose!

pyroman9
02-03-2012, 18:40
so here is a slight problem.... I have been working to get to enlist into the Air force. I have wanted to enlist very badly as EOD. However for months I have no heard a thing about my application process. And today I get a phone call... saying I am improved and I will know monday whether I am eligable for the position.... Which means I may have to give up the AT..... ugh.. very hard choice... but i think its kinda foolish to give up a carreer for the trail when the trail will be here when i get back.

wythekari
02-03-2012, 22:14
Ask AF about delayed entry; can you sign contract now and go to boot camp in SEP. Many, many recruits do that as they have to phase in all the HS grads as boot camp and sunbsequent schools cannot handle everyone who graduates in June all at once. Just an idea.

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:01
congrats! and thanks in advance for your service

BlackJack1
02-04-2012, 05:12
Below 32 degrees it is worth having a pee bag also it can help with staying warm in the snow.

pyroman9
02-14-2012, 02:02
I will keep you all posted this week. I head down thurs to enlist. Hopefully I can delay it til after the trail, I am going to try to. I want to come join in a epic hike!

pyroman9
02-18-2012, 12:31
Good Evening Everyone!
Sorry I have not posted any updates for a while, life has been kinda crazy. A few weeks ago I got a call from the USAF which I have been trying to join for sometime now. My paperwork was approved and I was being sent to the local base for some more paperwork. Surprisingly enough all my paperwork went through finally and they said I was ready to enlist. This put me in a major dilemma because as we know I am planning a AT trip in a few weeks. Yesterday I spent my day at the recruitment center and swore in. However, before swearing in I had a great talk with my recruiter and he agreed to set my ship date AFTER August 7th, 2012. PERFECT! So the trail plan is ON!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!
The plan is as this... I am planning on flying south early march and getting on the trail by march 16th at the latest. My gear is laid out, my pack is ready, my boots are broken in, my batteries are charged! Can't wait! I am so glad I will be able to do the trail after all, I was really worried for some time. I will be departing for bootcamp soon after I get back.
Talk soon all!
Eric

TOMP
02-18-2012, 14:14
Well congrats again, I am glad that worked out for you. And now you have alittle extra motivation to keep a good pace.

tophatxj
02-20-2012, 06:36
Good deal.
I wish I did the trail before I left for the army. Now I'm out and married going to school again and don't have the time.

pyroman9
03-03-2012, 17:01

Ok guys. Leaving in ten days for the trail. Take a look and let me know what I am missing. I am at 17lbs now...

There are a few things I can see that would cut weight

Taking the 15 degree bag and switching it for a 35 degree bag (1lb savings) - i feel as if i would be getting cold at night? maybe switch half way through? thoughts

Going with a trek pole tent / tarp tent (1lb savings) - the nice thing about the obi elite is its free standing and protects me from bugs/bad weather/mice and much more.

Camera - I have a Go Pro and a Olympus tough camera... Ditching the Olympus would save a lot but takes away the capability to take the pics... go pro does video a ton better and is completely waterproof ect....

What am I missing? please debate things with me.

Firefighter503
03-03-2012, 19:01
I would drop the Footprint (I used a Tarptent w/o one, just choose your tent more carefully, but even then you dont have to worry too much about it), the soap or toothpaste (hostels/hotels will have plenty of soap. alternatively you can just carry the soap, and brush your teeth with it), the GoPro (love these, but not needed on the AT over a regular point and shoot camera IMO), and either the zip off pants or the kilt - no need for both. Thats at least 14.5 oz I think. Also you can pare down your first aid kit a bunch more probably.

If you were willing to drop Henry and the Rubiks, you would be close to 2 pounds lighter! Haha.

I didn't notice a stove, and couldn't remember saying you were going stoveless...

Firefighter503
03-03-2012, 19:02
Also, keep the 15 or 20* bag, whichever it is. You will be glad in the Smokies, and possibly as far north as Mt. Rogers area.

pyroman9
03-03-2012, 19:18
Firefighter - I am going with a pocket rocket stove. I have not used alcy stoves yet... I think that overall the advantages of a butane stove outweigh the alcy stoves. they are a bit lighter - but not by much. The only downfall i have is I have to carry two canisters since I will not know for sure when I am out. However I can cook easily in my vestibule if the weather is poor and not have to worry about much, also it is much more resiliant against wind and rain and stuff.

Will the floor of the obi elite be ok without the footprint? I am ok with ditching this if the tent will be ok.. being a expensive tent I was concerned.

The pants - the zip off's are a nylon pant.. the kilt is the ULA Ultra Sil kilt for rain protection. why one or the other? Wouldnt I want both...? the kilt substitutes for rain pants.

The Go Pro is a hit or miss thing. I enjoy doing the time lapse photos and HD videos as I think that video based slideshows and movies are much better than picture based. So to document the trip I will likely use many more videos than photos. The Olympus tough cannot touch the video quality/time lapse features. I did sacrifice the chesty harness and a few adapters for it though. I have a stick pic that I will be using with it.

Thanks with the bag, thats what I thought.

And as for Henry... He is staying!! the .6oz rubiks... I will just toss it at a town when i get bored with it... not like it uses much space at all.