PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Pictures to Whiteblaze, etc...

nthadley
03-14-2005, 02:04
I've noticed that almost all of the pictures in this gallery are 640x480 or of a similar file size. Is there a reason for that? Does no one take large pictures, or are you all shrinking larger ones in order to upload faster? Can anyone explain this? I would like to take all my through hike pictures as 1024 x768, but I'm wondering if this would be a mistake...
Any suggestions?

The Old Fhart
03-14-2005, 08:41
My current digital pictures are taken at 2608x1952 (5Mp) but almost all the photos I have posted in the WB gallery were taken on 35mm Fuji Velvia ISO 50 slide film and scanned. The photos in the gallery don't have to be that large to show adequate detail. Huge file sizes would eat up all their server space so no matter what you upload, they are resized by WhiteBlaze. I generally resize a copy of my photos before I upload to aproximately 750x450 to speed up the upload process. Always keep your original photos unmodified and backed up.

MOWGLI
03-14-2005, 08:48
My current digital pictures are taken at 2608x1952 (5Mp) but almost all the photos I have posted in the WB gallery were taken on 35mm Fuji Velvia ISO 50 slide film and scanned.

What kind of slide scanner do you use? My photos from 2000 are almost entirely slides shot with Velvia. I haven't found a good slide scanner though.

Youngblood
03-14-2005, 10:31
My current digital pictures are taken at 2608x1952 (5Mp) but almost all the photos I have posted in the WB gallery were taken on 35mm Fuji Velvia ISO 50 slide film and scanned. The photos in the gallery don't have to be that large to show adequate detail. Huge file sizes would eat up all their server space so no matter what you upload, they are resized by WhiteBlaze. I generally resize a copy of my photos before I upload to aproximately 750x450 to speed up the upload process. Always keep your original photos unmodified and backed up.I recently started resizing my landscape phots to 500x375 before uploading them. I chose that because it was the width that the WB software package was reducing them to for viewing anyhow (unless you click on the larger size) and I was worried about how much storage space I was eating up.

Youngblood

BlackCloud
03-14-2005, 12:03
What kind of slide scanner do you use? My photos from 2000 are almost entirely slides shot with Velvia. I haven't found a good slide scanner though.
I use a an Epson scanner w/ provided slide brackets to scan my velvia pics in. Although not a medium format scanner, it has the ability to effectively scan my panoramic slides. To explain, I use 35mm, but my panoramic camera takes two frames at a time.

No, the scans don't look as good as the slides, but they do look good.......:)

java
03-14-2005, 12:24
To scan slides for printing you will need a dedicated slide scanner, or to have them done at a lab. You can use the flat-bed scanner attachments for web scans just fine, but they do not print well at all.
Personally, I have a Minolta Dimage 5400. Most of the scans on my website http://www.visualalex.com/ are done with that or a Nikon LS 4000. Both scanners are probably overkill for the average consumer, but I can get a 200 MB file off my Minolta which means I can print a very good 11x14 at home. Good slide scanners don't come cheap unfortunately, that's just reality. -java

attroll
03-14-2005, 13:17
wbdent WhiteBlaze photo software has the size limit set to 750 x 600 as of right now. It was set that way originally when the site was set up because of limited disk space. We started out not knowing how successful this site would become. But as it grew we had to move to bigger servers and obtain more space. Now that we have more space and bandwidth we can raise the photo size. But one thing I think we should keep in mind is that we don’t want to make the photo so big that we have to scroll up and down or left and right to see the photo.

wbdent If anyone thinks we should change the size then please give us some feedback on this. It can be changed to 1024 x768 or what ever size we wish to make it.

SGT Rock
03-14-2005, 13:21
Naw, leave it as is. If someone wants a bigger copy of a photo they can always ask the owner for one :D

Mr. Clean
03-14-2005, 16:29
Hey, I've got a question for you guys, speaking of screen sizes. :-? The computer at work shows a full-sized screen, I never have to go to the right and back again to read some posts, but my screen at home shows a partial screen and sometimes I have to use the bar at the bottom to read a post. How can I make the screen show full size?

SGT Rock
03-14-2005, 16:45
1. Right click your mouse anywhere on your desktop.

2. When the drop menue appear, select "properties"

3. The "Display Properties" menu comes up, the left most tab is "Settings"

4. Under "Screen Resolution" you want to increase this to at least 800 x 600

nthadley
03-15-2005, 00:53
Thanks for the response!
I didn't know I can resize an image on the computer, so that helps a lot.
I was going to ask one of you how to do it, but then I thought I'd get off my lazy butt and figure it out for myself, hee hee...