PDA

View Full Version : Travel clothes mailed out/in?

flemdawg1
01-10-2012, 17:20
Another issue I'm looking into well in advance of my trip are clean clothes for town, restaraunts, airports, etc. Did anyone mail their town clothes out from Yosemite Vally, or have a maildrop waiting in Lone Pine with some clean duds to wear after the trail? I'm anticipating that my wife's and my clothes will be thoroughly trashed after 4 weeks on the trail. (after all my sections I always had some clean clothes ready in the car to throw on after a thorough shower).

If I'm being an idiot, just let me know.:o

rocketsocks
01-10-2012, 17:44
Anal......yes,Idiot no.

schnikel
01-10-2012, 19:42
My wife and I flew in to San Fran and before we left to go to Yosemite we mailed our airport/town clothes to the P.O. in Lone Pine. It worked well as we also had to mail back a bear canister to Yosemite anyways. The P.O. is used to all this and it was easy; just be mindful of their hours. I believe they are closed weekends and closes at 4:30PM during the week. The hostel will accept packages but the Dow Villa will not. The Dow was an awesome hotel with 24hr hot tub!
Schnikel

BrianLe
01-19-2012, 15:57
4 weeks shouldn't trash clothes unless you're really unusual or start with pretty worn clothing. There are no barbed wire fences or cactus or the like to deal with on the JMT, and those are the sort of things that can chew up clothing and equipment. Another can be body glissading but I doubt you'll do a ton of that unless you're hiking fairly early or late season, and even then --- I wouldn't worry about it.

What works for long distance hikers in general is to have some sort of minimal set of "town clothes" to wear while washing your quick-drying backpacking clothes; for me it's a pair of shorts the double as spare underwear, and a quick-to-dry synthetic t-shirt. Then after washing (in washing machine or motel sink) put your hiking clothes back on as travel clothes. It's the west coast, you'll fit in just fine at the airport or whereever in backpacking clothes! :-)

flemdawg1
01-19-2012, 18:02
Thanks Brian. We'll see what we want to do whenever we get closer to our trip date. I was just worried that after nearly a month on the trail that the perma-stink would be too much to be socially acceptable. Might just send a small package of town clothes at the end (Whitney Portal) or maybe not.

flemdawg1
01-19-2012, 18:04
Whitney Portal Hostel I mean.

bamboo bob
01-19-2012, 18:10
It never occurred to me to have town clothes. You can go to the hostel in Lone Pine do laundry and wear your trail clothes. I don't care about funny looks in airports so its not an issue for me. Why do they always make me step aside for a more thorough look see?

tuswm
01-23-2012, 21:16
I just thought I should add that I mailed my clothes from the post office in YNP valley post office right next to the back country station. I mailed them to the hostel and they were not there when i finished hiking. But they were at the post office. great hostle. Then the next day we hitched to Reno.

flemdawg1
01-25-2012, 17:07
I just thought I should add that I mailed my clothes from the post office in YNP valley post office right next to the back country station. I mailed them to the hostel and they were not there when i finished hiking. But they were at the post office. great hostle. Then the next day we hitched to Reno.

Seriously? 3-4 weeks and the package didn't travel 300ish miles to the hostel or was the hostel just lazy about getting their mail?