PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision Revisited - Spotting OWLS

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 21:09
Last night a great horned owl was checking out our neighborhood. So I grabbed the night vision monocular and ran outside (Don't ask how I know) and proceeded up the street without thinking it thru. Yea I got up to the front of my neighbors yard and the bird was clearly in the pines above my head about what I thought was 20 feet up. so I rounded the tree and got the unit up to the eye only to see him glide around the back of the house. He had seen me even though I was silent and guess what dressed in total black (North face Fleece) Jacket, gloves, hat (yea it was cold last night) So I ended it because if someone saw me - there would be a whole lot of explaining to do. I was more amazed how close I got.
http://www.houstonaudubon.org/html/GrHornedOwlAMmed.jpg
Tonight not so cold, and he was back! I was able to get closer - then I stepped on a leaf- crunch and he was off across the same yard. But this time he landed in one of my pines. - He has an important preference 40 feet up! I cant quite make him out - so I walk up again indian style - I luck out round the pine again and he takes off again. Now I can see him. He crosses the neighbors yard and I am not going over there. He finds another Pine.... 40 feet again... Ok we played his game... Nothing to loose _ I can make the same damn call - same pitch and volume .... I stand at the fence and repeat for 10 minutes 15 seconds after each of his hoots. I stop. I start to walk away and because of the silence he flew over my head and landed on the other side of the acre looking for who made that noise! again 40 feet up a tall pine... I walk back and he spooked again and finally picked a 70 foot tall Oak with no leaves.

Now I can light him up at 50 feet away and 40 feet up..... wow I can really see him.. I click in the night vision illuminator and the eyes light up and we can both see each other - lots of fun.... He is staring right at me... He's a big adult male looking for a mate... awesome.

Now I am wondering if they can see the illuminator?

The best part is some video cameras now include this feature and the stand alone device is lightweight and great for short night hikes .. best when like tonight the moon rose on the horizon.

Thank's again John great gift!

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 21:21
Oh here is what I am using

RWheeler
01-10-2012, 22:42
Very awesome! I don't get to see owls very often, but it's very sick whenever I do. The last time was very recently, actually - last week during the meteor shower.

I decided since I was going to be lying outside in the cold, I would test out some of my gear - I figured if it can keep me warm in my back yard in the Northeast in January, it should do fine keeping me warm in April in Georgia.

I was lying outside for a while, letting my eyes adjust, and to my surprise, a huge brown owl flies in and lands on a tree almost directly above me, looks down at me (giant orange eyes, very gorgeous), then just turned and looked up to the sky. A few minutes later, a few spectacular meteors streaked across the sky, the owl let out a call and just fluttered off.

Oh, and I was warm. So thumbs up on back yard test.

burger
01-11-2012, 09:16
Um, maybe you should think about the consequences of chasing your owl all over the place every night. Food is hard to find in the winter. And, believe it or not, great horned owls start nesting in January, so their energy needs are even higher this time of year. Lots of research has shown that birds that get disturbed by people regularly have a harder time nesting or finding food.

Occasional viewing is fine, but I don't think it's a good idea to chase him around day after day. If you keep doing it enough, he's going to move someplace with fewer pesky people.

JAK
01-11-2012, 09:54
There was something on the news about this just now. A grey owl, and people giving it perhaps a little too much attention. Anyhow, on the spot judgement call, but good to keep in mind. I can see bothering the nesting site by day as being more of an issue.

Sarcasm the elf
01-11-2012, 19:54
WOO - not totally relevant to the thread, but I had to share this owl related video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrupqPqKYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wise Old Owl
01-11-2012, 22:01
Um, maybe you should think about the consequences of chasing your owl all over the place every night. Food is hard to find in the winter. And, believe it or not, great horned owls start nesting in January, so their energy needs are even higher this time of year. Lots of research has shown that birds that get disturbed by people regularly have a harder time nesting or finding food.

Occasional viewing is fine, but I don't think it's a good idea to chase him around day after day. If you keep doing it enough, he's going to move someplace with fewer pesky people.

That's fine burger - but it goes without saying, what me following him is 15 minutes for two nights - and I am in a position where I can feed him...

>?

Nice find Sarcasm!

Gray Blazer
01-19-2012, 12:35
The owls are surrounding my house now, also. What's up with that?

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2012, 12:45
What GB you never knew they vacation in Florida? its the Migration - really cool - you must have a lot of mice in your backyard at night. So do I.

rocketsocks
01-19-2012, 14:12
Woo,that's it,there here for the mice.Have been seeing(hearing) a lot of activity over the last year or so,this would have gone on unnoticed by me if I had not been out there walking(walking does have other (hidden) benefits).Any Hoo,seems we have a lot of mice in the area,been hearing scampering here and there and everywhere(attic).Thought about getting a cat,but I/and my dog are allergic,so not an option.Turns out we have another "trapper" in the family...my wife is the best mouse trapper I know she got it down.So thank you for making that connection,I was wondering why now?I've not seen them here before?The Wise Old Owls can have to ones out side,but if they come into the house well,then there.....the wives.So stay away little mouse stay away.lest you fall prey to the ...."SNAP#*@?"