PDA

View Full Version : Down shirt or jacket for GA?

Joker4ink
01-10-2012, 23:33
In mid-March I will be spending a week to start and complete GA. For the trip, I just picked up a Patagonia Ultralight Down Shirt and a Mountain Hardware Nitrous down jacket, with the intention of returning of of them: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-ultralight-down-shirt?p=84735-0-425 and
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-Nitrous%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4153,default,pd.html
(http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-Nitrous%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4153,default,pd.html)I know the temp varies from year to year, but I am wondering about a piece of gear to bring on my trip. From your experience, do you think it would be best to take the MH or the Patagonia? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Rain Man
01-11-2012, 09:54
... For the trip, I just picked up a Patagonia Ultralight Down Shirt and a Mountain Hardware Nitrous down jacket, with the intention of returning of of them:.... Your thoughts are appreciated.e

Huh? You purchased new clothing to use on a week-long winter hike through Georgia, with the intentions of returning them after your hike? If I read that right, you probably would not appreciate my thoughts.

Assuming you just have typos in your post, I'd pay close attention to the weather forecast, to decide which to take. Otherwise, I'd take the Nitrous and play it safe. Plus, take into account your other clothing/gear. You have nice rain gear to go over anything down? I know of folks who have bailed out of hikes in GA in mid-March due to snow and cold weather.

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
01-11-2012, 09:56
sounds like he bought 2 and will return the one he does not use

Tinker
01-11-2012, 11:16
sounds like he bought 2 and will return the one he does not use

That's what I'm hoping. I know too many people who take advantage of the "no questions asked" return policies of major outdoor retailers. I worked at REI and we got lots of "returned after the week long trip with my buddies" items. They ended up resold at half price, probably eliminating any profit (which companies are in business to make, remember?).

To answer the question, I think it would be perfectly fine to take both and watch the weather carefully. Decide which one you won't need and leave it in your car's trunk (that's exactly what I did in '06 in Ga.). The weather was warmer than expected, so I left my warmer jacket in the car.
The only difference is that both of my jackets had been used extensively and I didn't intend to return one.
Unless you have a date limit on the return, just leave one jacket unused and return it when you get back home.

JAK
01-11-2012, 11:20
I would return them both. Down is light, but it needs a shell on the inside and on the outside and a waterproof rain shell over all that if its raining. Suitable for sub-zero. Not so suitable for higher temps, though it sells well.

Zipper
01-11-2012, 11:30
I had a MontBell UL down jacket on my hike and used it often. I didn't hike in it because I didn't want to sweat in it, but it was easily accessible and perfect for any time I stopped and got chilly, and it was the first thing I put on on a cold night while cooking and setting up camp. It also makes a great pillow in the clothes bag!

I get cold easily and it was instrumental in keeping me warm throughout my hike. I never go camping/hiking without it unless it's going to be 80 degrees all day and warm at night.

I never had a problem keeping it dry - granted, I didn't wear it in the rain. It's still one of my favorite pieces of gear, but you may have a different experience, of course.

Good luck with your decision!

Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA '09

bigcranky
01-11-2012, 13:15
You'll be happy you brought the jacket.

BlakeGrice
01-11-2012, 15:40
I don't think bringing just one is even an option.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 16:02
I dont condone buying gear, using, and returning, however I bought most of my gear off geartrade.com from companies that had people do that to them. Never paid more then 50 bucks for anything and its all top quality brand names.

skinewmexico
01-11-2012, 17:34
Down sweater, with a rain shell.

The Cleaner
01-11-2012, 17:45
The Patagonia Nano Puff pullover&an Icebreaker 200 1/4 zip baselayer was good @24 degrees around camp and I still had a rain shell if needd....

Joker4ink
01-11-2012, 23:03
Oh, I am sorry for the confusion of my post. I will not be using-and-returning an item; I will just be keeping the jacket I like best. I also picked up a Go-Lite Demaree Canyon jacket to compare. Of course, I will not be hiking in down and I'll have a hard shell with me. I'm glad I got a few opinions for what to bring though. Thank you.