PDA

View Full Version : Best Watch for Backpacking.

Transient Being
01-11-2012, 11:18
Title says it all...opinions please.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2012, 11:27
this is all i've carried for 25 years. no need for nothin' fancy
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___96627

dillard
01-11-2012, 11:30
I love my Luminox 8800 Series... Very light, tough as nails, 25 year illumination that doesn't need charging.

Rocket Jones
01-11-2012, 11:44
I carry a cheapo Casio from Wally World. The face lights up for night time checks and it has an alarm if I need to use it.

JAK
01-11-2012, 12:00
I like windup watches for backpacking, but they are hard to replace when you lose them.

On the other extreme it would be cool to have a reasonable small and comfortable watch that simply displayed information from a central unit. The central unit could be in your pack, and contain all the electronics for timekeeping, gps, communications, heart rate monitoring, speed, elevation, calorie consumption, weather, whatever else.

Mike2012
01-11-2012, 12:00
What do you want the watch for?

JAK
01-11-2012, 12:10
I use my watch primarily for keeping time, for stuff like dead reckoning, how long til sunset, how long til sunrise, how long until low tide. Perhaps most importantly, when lost or in a crisis, it is good to be able to keep track of time objectively. It reduced panic considerably, and can also assist in problem solving. If you lose your compass, your watch will help you determine direction.

JAK
01-11-2012, 12:15
Perhaps the question is, `why on the wrist`.

Interesting how watches have evolved into heart rate monitors, and gps, but never really caught on for communications, as in Dick Tracy. I never held out much hope for Get Smart`s shoe phone, but I thought Dick Track was on to something. Star Trek seemed closest to the mark with their various hand held devices.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2012, 12:20
The cheapist one I can find, which is usually 5 bucks. The last one I bought a couple of years ago is still going. It will get replaced when the battery finally dies.

I keep mine on the back of my pack so I don't keep looking at it. Once you figure out your average pace, keeping track of how long you've been walking can give you a good idea of how far you've gone.

JAK
01-11-2012, 12:40
I guess there are more watch phones out there than I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84que8konRo

JAK
01-11-2012, 12:43
Also this... iPodNano + LunaTik wrist strap = iWatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xa_GUzTb00&feature=related

leaftye
01-11-2012, 12:54
Backpacking tends to rip the bands off my watches, so now I just keep the watch in my pocket. I thought I'd lose it, but I've been hiking with it in my pocket for two years and I still have it.

I use my watch for timing my breaks and keeping an eye on the sunset. Sunset I get from my gps, but I don't want to keep my gps on all day. I do wish my watch had a countdown timer to alert me when I should take breaks instead of having to check the watch. I occasionally set an alarm in the morning to get me on the trail earlier than normal. My watch has an altimeter, thermometer and barometer, but I don't really use those features.

JAK
01-11-2012, 12:58
I would love to have a wind up pocket watch. I also tend to take my wrist watch off and store it somewhere safer. A small cheap light watch is not so bad on the wrist, but something like the iWatch or those Garmins would be sketchy.

PapaGarrettP
01-11-2012, 13:09
Can't go wrong with a basic Casio. They are inexpensive and have an alarm, which can be useful.

bigcranky
01-11-2012, 13:12
I like the basic Timex with the "indiglo" feature. I pick one with really large numbers so I can see it in my bag at night.

The only time I wear a watch is when backpacking. Go figure.

Transient Being
01-11-2012, 13:16
What do you want the watch for?

I actually like the watch better at night, when you can't really tell what time it is. On my last trip, I woke up to what I thought was the first light of sunrise...starting preparing some oatmeal...turned on my phone to see what time it was...1:30 AM! It was light from the moon. Coulda used a watch then.

Hikes in Rain
01-11-2012, 13:20
Star Trek seemed closest to the mark with their various hand held devices.

I always liked the "slap your chest and yell at the ceiling" method of the Next Generation. :)

I've been using a Swiss Army Watch daily for years, so that's what I take hiking.

Spokes
01-11-2012, 14:10
1+ for the cheap Timex w/ Indiglo

flemdawg1
01-11-2012, 14:15
Cell phone (in airplane mode), also used as alarm clock and camera.

EastCoastFeastCoast
01-11-2012, 14:19
This is what I use.

Citizen Eco Drive Diver's Watch (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=citizen+eco+drive+diver+watch&gs_upl=39696l41678l1l41877l12l9l0l0l0l0l224l1384l0 .8.1l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1125&bih=644&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3854868395098070169&sa=X&ei=i9INT-73HoGtiQLY1ITwAw&ved=0CJYBEPICMAE#ps-sellers).

rjhouser
01-11-2012, 14:32
+1 on the casio. They may be viewed as "cheap" but a better term would be "great value." I'm wearing my casio on my thru. it's minimal, it's lightweight, it's reliable, and casio stands behind their products and have a great reputation.

rocketsocks
01-11-2012, 14:53
I am down with the Timex indiglow.Analog all the way baby.

Odd Man Out
01-11-2012, 15:13

Me too. I use it most for navigation. In time I am pretty good at estimating my rate of walking. So if I have been walking 2 miles per hour, I know from my watch how far I have traveled, or when I will get to the next road/shelter/water source etc.

Ktaadn
01-11-2012, 16:41
I have a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1300. It has a compass, altimeter, barometer, alarm, etc. It receives updates from an atomic clock and it's solar powered. My only complaint is that the alarm isn't louder. I pretty much can't hear it when I'm in my sleeping bag with a hat on.

BoiledPeanut
01-11-2012, 16:45
My normal watch is a nice dive watch.

Am I likely to get mugged for this?

daddytwosticks
01-11-2012, 16:53
I have an old Timex Indeglo (minus wrist band) attached to a mini-carabeener. This gets fastened to my chest strap of my backpack for easy viewing while I hike. When I go to hang my food, the carabeener is used to attach my food bag to the bear cable hook or bear bag rope. Wearing something on my wrist while I hike will get tangled up with the straps on my hiking poles. :)

kayakjax
01-15-2012, 20:27
I'm a boilermaker and very hard on watches.

I really like the Casio Forester. It's analog, has the Luminous feature (I think Indiglow is a trademark), and has a velcro strap. They're the toughest watch I've ever worn.

I usually lose watches (and sunglasses) and have had the band ripped off a few, but I have NEVER seen one quit working.

I'll wear a fancy watch for show, but whenever I NEED a watch, the Forester is it.

They're about $20.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Cloth-Velcro-Band-Watch/10745987

Sarcasm the elf
01-15-2012, 20:41
Can't go wrong with a basic Casio. They are inexpensive and have an alarm, which can be useful.

+1 Low end casios with a rubber wrist band and an alarm on it. It's something that does it's job well and since they're around $20 I don't get worried about breaking or losing them. I like to have an alarm, useful if you take a mid-day nap and are afraid of sleeping clear through until dark. Also I find that leather or nylon webbing watch straps can get funky after being used for a while, the rubber wristbands are durable and don't get as nasty.

FWIW, I've had very bad luck with Timex watches, I went through three of them before switched back to the casio ones. The Timex Ironman ones in particular cost twice as much and lasted half as long as the old Casios.

Summit
01-15-2012, 20:57
The only watch I use (on and off trail) is my cell phone. Since I keep my phone completely powered down to conserve battery, I just ask my hiking buddies what time it is . . . 15 times a day! Gotta find some way or other to be annoying! :D

Seriously, if hiking solo I wouldn't change a thing. Many years ago, before cell phones were even a dream, I hiked from NOC to Springer (150 miles) and forgot my watch. The first day on the trail when I realized I didn't have a watch I kinda freaked! Then I said, "oh well, just have to do without knowing the time." Turns out I didn't miss not knowing the exact time AT ALL. Woke up when it got light, went to bed when it got dark, took breaks when I felt the desire, ate when I got hungry.

Papa D
01-15-2012, 21:42
Timex Indiglo - pretty good - used for along time - thru-hiked with a HamiltonWatch that I lost - looking into a Garmin now.

OutdoorsMan
01-15-2012, 22:23
Why do you need a watch? On the trail there's dark-getting light-light-getting dark then dark again. Who cares what time it is on the trail? Not having to follow a schedule is one of the things I like most about hiking.

Mags
01-16-2012, 00:19
Why do you need a watch? On the trail there's dark-getting light-light-getting dark then dark again. Who cares what time it is on the trail? Not having to follow a schedule is one of the things I like most about hiking.

A watch is very useful for dead reckoning. Walk X hours at Y pace and you have a good idea of where you are on the map.l

When I did the CDT, the watch was a key navigation aide for me.

YMMV.

I also use a Timex Indiglo. The band wears out before the watch!

ChinMusic
01-16-2012, 00:25
A watch is very useful for dead reckoning. Walk X hours at Y pace and you have a good idea of where you are on the map.l

When I did the CDT, the watch was a key navigation aide for me.

YMMV.

Yeppers. The time til dark give me a quick idea of where I can get before dark too. I suppose I could get by without since my phone has a clock, but that would mean turning it on. I often like to leave my phone off.

Pioneer Spirit
01-16-2012, 01:06
I use a cheap clip watch from Walmart that is designed to hang from a belt loop ( face is upside down to others). It clips to a ring at the chest strap. I thought mine died but it did not like the winter cold and worked fine was warm. Probably a little heavy but it hang nicely from the tent roof loop in the hubba. Glows in the dark for awhile but has a light button but get used to reading it upside down when not on the pack.

bflorac
01-16-2012, 01:28
Best bang for the buck:
La Crosse XG-55 Digital Altimeter Compass Watch (http://www.lacrosse-psmall.com/lp-lacrxg-55.html)

You can find it on Amazon for $60. Works great, I had one for 4 years.

tophatxj
01-31-2012, 04:16
citizen eco drive

earlyriser26
01-31-2012, 06:29

Yep, my choice too. However, I once bought a $300 altimeter watch. Worked great and you could estimate your exact location prior to GPS. Worked for 3 years and then went in the trash. Never again.

PinkRaven
01-31-2012, 08:11
If I could have my pick...
Harry Winston Project Z6 Black Edition timepiece.... I'm all for style.
PinkRaven

fiddlehead
01-31-2012, 09:34
Watches are like cell phones, you can do a lot with a good one, or just use a cheap one for what it was originally made for: telling time (comparable to talking on a cell phone)
I have used cheap Timex ones with the light and alarm as the simplest on the trail.
I have used all the way up to and advanced Suunto complete with altimeter, altimeter alarm, barometer, thermometer, waterproof, etc. etc. etc.

On the AT, you don't need all that fancy crap, but learning how to use it is not a bad idea, especially if you have intentions of doing other trails (where map reading, weather forecasting, etc) and have knowledge already learned to help you have your best experience.

Yes, having a Suunto is a little overkill with all the information out there on the AT. But knowing that a spring's blue blaze trail (that you need to find) is another 600 feet higher or lower than you are presently, can stop some worrying about missing it, and a good watch (with altimeter alarm) can help.
It's all a learning experience.

moocow
01-31-2012, 13:15
i use the timex digital grip clip. has indiglo. i just clip the biner to my pack and keep moving. nothing i hate worse than that sticky feeling you get from wristbands. and its only $20 from campmor.

RetroGear
02-01-2012, 03:08
I love my Luminox 8800 Series... Very light, tough as nails, 25 year illumination that doesn't need charging.

I also use a Luminox, although 39xx series ... very accurate, very light, very luminous, and most-everything proof.

The common threads here seem to be (a) either luminous or illuminated and (b) analog.

SunnyWalker
05-16-2012, 12:43
i look at my gps unit for time. why carry watch? it is repetitve. i have something else that does that function plus other things. i are a lightweight hiker!

Mikey Appleseed
05-16-2012, 12:54
I never liked being watched, I like to hike fast when people are behind me. But for time, I like to look at the giant flaming ball of yellow in the sky. Like outdoorsman said, why worry about it, unless your a speed king and need to find out how far behind you are from a shadow hiker. Or you can ask someone who gives a dam.

oldbear
05-16-2012, 13:18
I'm wearing a simple analog Citizen's divers watch w/a face the size of a half dollar
Simple , indestructable and easy to read in the middle of the night w/o having to put on my glasses

FlyPaper
05-17-2012, 13:36
I have a Casio Pathfinder PAW500. It is solar powered and has an altimeter. I got it for $100 on Amazon, although it is $200 at Casio.
(It also sets itself via atomic clock signal and has the usual timer, alarm, stopwatch functions).

The altimeter is great when walking up and down long hills. For me, it is very helpful to my psyche to know how much more "up" I have
before reaching the top.

MyName1sMud
05-17-2012, 15:42
I love my Luminox. It's got some type of gas inside of the watch that makes the hands and numbers light up 24/7.

I love it.

romany
05-17-2012, 16:14
I use a Timex Ironman Triathalon, even though phones, GPSes, etc. all tell time. I just bought two more Ironman Triathalon watches at Wally World which had been marked down to $10 a piece. Can't beat it for a clock that is water resistant (100 meters), has indiglo, a timer and alarm, accurate and tough for about 2 ounces..

double d
05-17-2012, 16:18
Timex Ironman watch, very rugged watch with lots of features if you want to use them. And besides, it takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking!

Kitecop
05-17-2012, 16:55

A+ to that, ive got a Luminox too, with a paracord band i made. all you have to do to tell time is look at it, day or night, no lights to turn on or worry about crapping out. They are well worth the $$. very hard to scratch too.

BobTheBuilder
05-17-2012, 16:56
I like the basic Timex with the "indiglo" feature. I pick one with really large numbers so I can see it in my bag at night.

The only time I wear a watch is when backpacking. Go figure.

+1, +1, and +1. My only other concern is what watch Eli Manning, Paula Creamer,and Michael Waltrip wear.

bert304
05-17-2012, 18:33
I have not worn a watch in 15 years. I tend not to worry about time, I use my phone if I need to see the time. My feeling is you will get there at some point.

Loopback
05-17-2012, 18:40
Suunto Core. The all black one. I got it for free (a gift from work). I haven't worn a watch in years (cell phone). But I've got to say, I gave it a try and now I love it. I wear it to bed. I love this thing on the trail. As petty as it sounds, I now prefer not to dig for my phone for the time. Also, for long trips, I turn my phone off when I'm not using it. The watch itself is amazing. I wear a suit for work and it looks good enough to go with it.

Veetack
05-17-2012, 19:54
I love my Luminox. It's got some type of gas inside of the watch that makes the hands and numbers light up 24/7.

I love it.

I'm not familiar with the watch, but the gas you speak of, I'm pretty sure is a substance called iridium. Military grade compasses use it.

Kitecop
05-17-2012, 21:38
I'm not familiar with the watch, but the gas you speak of, I'm pretty sure is a substance called iridium. Military grade compasses use it.

Tritium, its radioactive gas inside a tiny tube. Same thing as night sights for guns.

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 23:30
Tritium, its radioactive gas inside a tiny tube. Same thing as night sights for guns.I read a story once that told of the cancer rates of a bunch of women working for a watch manufacture,and that they would lick there brushes,to bring it to a sharp point.The brushes were used for painting the little radio active glowing tic marks.that ain't good!

coolman
05-18-2012, 05:14
Inexpensice Casio is my choice.

Theosus
05-18-2012, 06:46
I read a story once that told of the cancer rates of a bunch of women working for a watch manufacture,and that they would lick there brushes,to bring it to a sharp point.The brushes were used for painting the little radio active glowing tic marks.that ain't good!

Was that tritium or the old radium paint? Different substances.

rocketsocks
05-18-2012, 07:04
Was that tritium or the old radium paint? Different substances.Alrighty then....

Sevsa
05-18-2012, 13:34
I always carry a cheap Timex with Indiglo that I bought about 15 years ago and I keep it in my pocket. Don't carry a phone or GPS but sometimes I need to know what time it is. I have also gotten up in the middle of the night and because the moon was so bright thought dawn was coming but my watch saved me.