PDA

View Full Version : New hiker

ralphboneillo
01-11-2012, 13:12
Hi, My name is Ralph. Im going to be hiking the trail February 2013.... I hiked a lot in the boy scouts, and I might have a hiking buddy, but Im not sure. I have been watching a lot of AT movies, documentaries and what not, But I need some advice. I am going to be bringing a very lightweight tent, a sleeping bag, and just the basic gear.

What I need help with is how long it will realistically take... and picking a good start date (February 18th?). I live in the NE but I am starting in Georgia, and I am going to end in Maine.

Also I could use advice for the trail stores. Are they very expensive... and are their many of them?

Any replies would be nice =)... also if you have any other advice for me that would be great!

Lone Wolf
01-11-2012, 13:16
take a full 6 months to do the trail.

there are plenty of stores. some expensive, some not so. save at least 5 grand

ralphboneillo
01-11-2012, 13:22
dang 5 grand? Thats alot of money. I was thinking like 2. Is that to cover bills while im out too?

JAK
01-11-2012, 13:27
By trail stores do you mean places you can resupply food, and perhaps fuel, or do you mean gear.

Speed varies. If you are young and fit and travel light, and avoid making friends with slower hikers, you can travel much faster. Starting in February you will have better opportunity to avoid crowds by getting a head start, but your speed of travel in February, March, April will be slower, and depend on weather and snow and ice cover. The slower travel in winter, and less reliability trail access points, and the colder weather also combine to require you to carry more clothing and food, which slows you down further. In winter you may have to be prepared for 7 days what will likely only take you 4 days, or 3 days in summer. Still, I like the idea of an early start. More challenge. More reward.

Practice as much as you can this winter. You can do day hikes or weekend hikes where you are prepared for 5-7 days, but only hike for 1 or 2. That is a good way to learn what works for you, which is what really matters. Also, even on a 1-2 day hike in winter it is good to always be within a few hours of an exit point, so try and find a place that fits that description. You don`t have to go as far in winter to learn and have fun, or for things to get `interesting`.

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 13:32
Two grand is definitely on the frugal end of the spectrum. Five grand means you will be able to have some burgers or the occasional beer when you're in town. It'll mean you will be able to afford to sleep in a hostel or motel if you want four walls on occasion.

Two grand means you'll have to skip a lot of things, or possibly run out before you reach Maine.

Your bills while you're away are a whole other concern, so keep those in mind (and separate). You should try to aim for somewhere around $4000 to be able to do the hike more comfortably. That's for the actual expenses while hiking - food, hostel stays, gear replacement (prepare for ~5 pairs of shoes) and what you'll spend while in town, plus travel back. Figure out what your bills are going to be while you're away and add that in, as well.

It's been said time and time again that you never hear of a hiker complaining that they finished but had too much money. But you'll hear from a lot that had to quit early, or forced to practically starve themselves for stretches, because they ran out of money. Don't put yourself in that situation, and certainly don't resort to begging or yogiing if you get in that situation.

JAK
01-11-2012, 13:34
If you are young you can also get by on less money, but then again, you might spend more. Save what you can and see how far it gets you. Make your goal to see how far you can get on $2000 rather than 6 months or 2000 miles. Don`t wait 10 years to go hiking. Hike while you are young.

It would be cheaper (per mile) to start later in the season, but there will be more temptations to spend money with the crowd. I am not sure of this because I haven`t hiked the AT, but SOBO might be cheaper than NOBO for this reason. Not sure. But if you want to start in February NOBO would probably be better.

But even though winter might cost more per mile, it is also more fun per mile, if that is your thing.

ralphboneillo
01-11-2012, 13:34
I am practicing withstanding the cold. And im going to start going on day hikes early February

Also i mean food and fuel... Gear Im hoping I won't need to buy any extra then what I am bringing.

jj2044
01-11-2012, 13:35
Go back and look through the threads there is good infomation there, this topic has been talked about at least 3 times on 3 different threads just THIS WEEK, and today is wednesday!

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 13:38
I am practicing withstanding the cold. And im going to start going on day hikes early February

Also i mean food and fuel... Gear Im hoping I won't need to buy any extra then what I am bringing.

You'll need to replace your footwear. Shoes and boots aren't meant to stand up to 2000+ miles, especially when stretches of it are over rocks and through rivers. Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) and the articles it leads to. It'll do you a lot of help, I'm sure.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2012, 13:38
dang 5 grand? Thats alot of money. I was thinking like 2. Is that to cover bills while im out too?food, lodging, beer, shuttles, etc. it adds up. it's a trip of a lifetime. don't skimp

JAK
01-11-2012, 13:40
I know I would do it for less than most people, but I do it by hiking where other people don`t, so I don`t know if I could handle the crowds on the AT. If you are attracted to the AT because of its popularity, that might also might make you more likely to spend more money. Not sure. I know I hike up here at under $1 per mile, even in winter, unless I get snowed in. $10 per day tops. That doesn`t count travel to and from the trail though. Sometimes I leave from my door, especially in winter when I can get onto the frozen river. Sometimes I commute to the trail on bike or by kayak. Sometimes I get my wife to shuttle, and that gets more expensive. Make it a lifestyle choice, and not a vacation, and you will learn to do it cheaper.

JAK
01-11-2012, 13:43
Your gear and clothing will likely change as you learn as you go, but can still be dirt cheap.
Don`t skimp on clothing weight in winter, but you can always skimp on $$$.
Dress for the coldest day on record for that month, not for the weather forecast.
Stay close to trail heads in winter.

JAK
01-11-2012, 13:44
You only need to go far enough to learn something new. In winter that can be a few feet from your car or back door.

leaftye
01-11-2012, 14:13
Two grand wouldn't even pay for my food. Whatever you eat now, you'll be eating 2-3x as much on the trail, and paying a premium for it, so the cost of feeding yourself may be 4x whatever it is now. Can you feed yourself at home for $75 a month? I used to mostly eat rice, which made my food costs very low, but it wasn't anywhere near that low.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-11-2012, 15:45
Fred,

Myself and a lifelong friend are planning leaving march 15 2013, and going north. Probably the biggest thing to do right now, is research, plan and conditioning. Ive hiked the Georgia section often in my years, and it's no easy beans. There is a TON of information on here, most of it very valid. Research! I started training back in October. Im not going to let physical endurance or strength be the thing to get me off the trail. Nantahala Outdoor center is having some preparation classes taught by through hikers. Personally Im going to make it to one, theres nobody better to learn from than those who have done it.

From a fellow Eagle Scout and Woodbadger