PDA

View Full Version : pack covers

ekeverette
01-11-2012, 13:52
i bought a pack cover from walley world for 10/15 bucks, and has served me well on section hikes with 2 day rains, and the pack remained dry. do the 50.00 dollar ones from the outfitter store work better, waterproof?.... i always keep my stuff inside a trashcompactor bag anyway.... didn't know if a cover from osprey, my type pack would add extra protection.

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 13:55
More expensive covers are more expensive for different reasons:
-The brand.
-Specialized fit for a specific pack,
-The material; it could be much lighter, or potentially have longer-lasting ability to keep packs dry.
-Other features, such as being able to double as a poncho, serve as a stuff-sack, etc.

KeyWest
01-11-2012, 14:48
The advantage to the $50 dollar ones is mainly weight. That being said, the weight difference is negligible. No matter which pack cover you get, it's going to get torn up. The $50 ones might take a little more of a beating, but they're all getting punctured eventually. The stuff sacks for your gear inside your pack are important, but remember, if you pack gets wet, it gets heavy and it's a pain to deal with a wet pack at night. Furthermore, if it freezes, that will suck when it comes time to pack up.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 14:57
check the material and weigh differences. Most pack covers are water resistant and not water proof so I use it in combination with the trash bag pack liner.

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 16:56
That being said, does anyone know a good resource to get small quantities of compactor bags? I checked Sears, and they only had them in packs of 25+, and I feel like it'd be a waste buying something like that online for a 2-3 pack and have to pay for the shipping and everything.

I'm using a GoLite Jam, btw, if the sizing is that critical.

ekeverette
01-11-2012, 17:03
had the same problem.... hard to find. guess you don't have a foodlion up in conn?.... lowes had them too. goodluck.

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 17:08
Sadly, no Food Lion.

I'll check out Lowes, or Home Depot. I need to get some flashing to make a windscreen/pot stand anyway.

Lyle
01-11-2012, 17:23
What could possibly work better than a cover that kept your pack dry in a two day rain?

ekeverette
01-11-2012, 18:20
it was a misty type rain not a deluge. just back from outfitters..... bought a waterproof.... fits good. i'll find out soon enough, that no matter what, your butt's going to get wet!