PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete, upcoming through-hike list - Thanks!

rowan
01-11-2012, 14:11
Hi folks,

first off I do want to voice my appreciation once again for the helpful opinions of all those out there who continually chime in with their experience to help out fellow hikers. I can't imagine trying to plan out gear in an age before the internet - when buying and trying was nearly the only way to test a product out. Hiking on a budget, I've learned to put a lot of faith in strangers on the internet. While that sounds silly, I've found the community here to be mostly honest and upright about what WORKS and what DOESN'T.

With all that said, I've been slowly comprising my gear list trying to balance my needs, other's opinions on products and techniques, but mostly - my BUDGET. I've basically worked exclusively in the service industry since graduation from college. That doesn't mean serving in restaurants - that means Americorps, then working a minuscule salary at an outdoor environmental education center as an instructor. While I've gotten to work with incredible people and most importantly, spread my love for the outdoors and hopefully my conservation ethic - I'M BROKE! lol, so I've been putting together what I HAVE, what's on SALE, and what I think can work. This obviously has left me with items that are heavier than the avg pack weights I've seen on here. A lot of what I'll be using isn't exactly negotiable simply because I can't afford a replacement. I've put my list up on geargrams as I found that system to be really easy to access and use from different locations. Here it is:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=null

A few things to be said: My pack isn't purchased yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards the catalyst so I included that. Also don't yet have rain pants, but I included the weight of the precip full zips as those are the ones in my budget I've been eyeing. Also a few things I have guessed the weight on, such as my midweight underwear top and SL synthetic top. My shelter weight may go down a few oz if my girl decides to come along (long story) - in which case I'd be trading out the contrail for either the lunar duo or the rainshadow 2. Decision time soon...

I know there are a TON of things I've left out, such as first aid, ditty supplies, h20 treatment and storage...

tear it up! Thanks so much.

rowan
01-11-2012, 15:03
and oh yes - start date between march 15-april 1. vague, I know. weather dependent flexibility.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 15:52
You list link doesnt work, golite.com is having a sale on packs.

rowan
01-11-2012, 17:46
User error... errrr would be nice to be able to edit the original post, but here is a link that actually works.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5731

thanks for the heads up.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 18:53
Trade prolite for Solite. Its only 20 bucks so Id buy it and try it you have nothing to lose but weight.

I personally wouldnt do rain pants, but if you like em go for it (use a poncho).

There is as you know a lot of missing stuff so its hard to say what if anything you are actually missing. Id say atleast 10lbs missing before food/water.

A few of weights are in grams when it should be ounces. 3 pair of socks at 10 g ?

I would add something down clothes-wise like a vest for great lightweight insulation check geartrade.com. Merino wool shirts are nice too. Gear trade is about 50 percent off so it helps you stay on budget. Although it means most of my gear is the oddest colors available.

rowan
01-11-2012, 21:15
Trade prolite for Solite. Its only 20 bucks so Id buy it and try it you have nothing to lose but weight.

I personally wouldnt do rain pants, but if you like em go for it (use a poncho).

There is as you know a lot of missing stuff so its hard to say what if anything you are actually missing. Id say atleast 10lbs missing before food/water.

A few of weights are in grams when it should be ounces. 3 pair of socks at 10 g ?

I would add something down clothes-wise like a vest for great lightweight insulation check geartrade.com. Merino wool shirts are nice too. Gear trade is about 50 percent off so it helps you stay on budget. Although it means most of my gear is the oddest colors available.

Sure. I'll make some changes. As far as insulation - I've been pretty damn warm with the longjohns, fleece, revelcloud jacket, and in a pinch - rain jacket. With a spring start like I'm planning, you think I need a down vest on top of the revelcloud? I picked that up as a down replacement. Thanks for the feedback.

And as far as things I'm missing, I'd love to see things pointed out that I DO need. Aquamira check. Other than that... its the small things I know I am forgetting. Many thanks,

Rowan

TOMP
01-11-2012, 22:11
I would use the down vest in place of the jacket and combo it with the rain jacket when necessary. But I guess you dont like down since your doing the opposite switch.

I just imagine it's lighter then the jacket (my vest is about 7 oz) and in combo with the shell I cant see how it wouldnt be warmer (is your jacket waterproof or would you have to take it off and wear the shell when it rains? If so thats another negative). Also, I like to have multi-purposes for everything I carry, so I dont carry insulated jackets, one purpose. The down vest is much more versitile for me then a large jacket, I can wear it to bed, layer with it, wear it alone, or under rain gear. As for missing items check out my gear list I posted in the 2012 class forum area. It has a lot of little things you may want to consider.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 22:17
Sorry for double post, just checked the rei revecloud. It looks very similar to a down vest and about as expensive too. I would just worry about how warm a synthetic insulation jacket would be that only weighs 12.5 oz, thats down category weight. I would just test it first to be sure.

rowan
01-12-2012, 13:41
Planning on a test hike in Feb with a seasoned AT hiker. Brrrrrr, that will def tell me one way or the other. As far as things I am missing...

aqua mira
2L collapsable (my girl and I will both carry one)
2 1 L bottles (vitawater, etc)
toiletries
duct tape
first aid (my father is a PA, he has me covered)
pot scraper
freezer bags
leatherman micra (or similar) and my straight blade
dry bag for sleeping bag/camp clothes
dry bag for food hang
lighter
ALREADY HAVE petzl tikka xp 2 headlamp, mnt hardware windproof Beanie, Fleece gloves
trash compactor bags
rope for bear hang/etc
trowel (I've worked in varying degrees with water quality since graduating from college, BURY YOUR ****)
pack cover (and pack... biggest expense yet to come)
journal
dr. bronners

ALREADY HAVE:
petzl tikka xp 2 headlamp
mnt hardware windproof Beanie
Fleece gloves

I am very curious as to the comfort of the solite. I agree thats a really easy way to shed a pound off my weight. but I'm also going to be sleeping on it every night. I grew up on the blue foam pad... after sleeping on a thermarest for the first time i was sold. how much comfort am I losing if I switch to the Solite from a self-inflatable? I know its relative...

rowan
01-15-2012, 05:51
Alright folks after a lot of modification and hunting down precise weights, I've got my list quite a bit more complete. Sorry for it starting out as such a where's waldo of supplies - hopefully it will be a bit easier to digest now. Please take a look if you enjoy this kind of thing!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5825

Looking like my base weight, including pack and trekking poles, will be sitting at around 20lbs.

IrishBASTARD
01-15-2012, 11:58
Great Job Rowan. Its truly a legit pie chart...damn I dont miss those. Overall have a great hike and see on on the trails.

rowan
01-17-2012, 13:10
Great Job Rowan. Its truly a legit pie chart...damn I dont miss those. Overall have a great hike and see on on the trails.

I appreciate that - I definitely burnt the midnight oil on this a few nights. Anything you see that could be shaved off to lighten the load? Thanks for taking a look,

Rowan

rowan
01-17-2012, 15:23
Still having a lot of trouble deciding on what pack to carry all this gear. I've pretty much come to the sad conclusion that I cannot afford a new ULA and haven't had luck in finding a used one. With that in mind, I've been really tempted by the sale going on at Golite. Looking at the Pinnacle vs. the Pursuit. If you've had experience with these packs, I'd love to hear. I created a thread in the packs section here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80171-golite-PURSUIT-or-PINNACLE&p=1240470#post1240470
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80171-golite-PURSUIT-or-PINNACLE&p=1240470#post1240470)

Sassafras Lass
01-18-2012, 07:18
I've pretty much come to the sad conclusion that I cannot afford a new ULA and haven't had luck in finding a used one.

If you're able to support a 100% American-owned, American-sourced business, I say do it. You get what you pay for, and having received my Circuit a few weeks ago, I can say that I'd never hesitate to buy one again. The owner already exceeded my expectations.

Also, if this torso/hipbelt work for you, here's (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78236-FS-Never-used-ULA-Catalyst-backpack) a Catalyst significantly reduced.

Papa D
01-18-2012, 08:34
Ok - I think that I'm looking at the right list - it seems to me that you have too many clothes - for example, you are hiking in some convertable pants but are also carrying rain pants - if you need the pants, just wear the rain pants over a base layer, otherwise, just hike in some cheap nylon shorts - used soccer shorts from a thrift store would work. I like having "camp clothes" but you seem to have 6 pairs of socks - maybe I'm reading it wrong but you only need 2 - one to wear while hiking and one pair to be used as "camp socks" when the hiking ones get wet and gross, hike in the camp socks, wring the others out and dry them in the sun - when they are both a mess, it's time to stop and do laundry - you can put a drop of Dr. Bronner's soap in your nalgene bottle, stuff the socks in, add water and shake (don't do this near the creek) - pour on the ground and do a rinse cycle or two, then rinse out your bottle - voila, clean socks (or shirt). You also seem to have two fleece tops and a jacket - only when it is below about 40 degrees will you actually hike with your fleece on - start hiking nearly shivering in the first months - you'll warm up - save one fleece for camp and breaks.

I know your Dad is a PA but actual needed and used backcountry first aid supplies are different from what is used in the "front country" -- an ace bandage is pretty much backpack ballast - coaches tape, latex gloves, a few blister bandaids, a tiny pocket knife and some knowledge is all you will use.

I have a whole basement full of gear - more than some outfitters - p/m me if you need something simple that you'd rather not buy.

rowan
01-18-2012, 12:16
Thanks for the comments ya'll -

FSTOP - I really may just bite the bullet and go w/ ULA. After talking with some outfitters yesterday, I kind of rationalized it to myself. I may spend 100+ bucks more on a ULA pack, but stretch that over the course of 5-6 months it comes to pennies a day for a quality product that will be COMFORTABLE to carry. I really appreciate the link, can't believe I missed that! I'll be PM'ing Jeff to see if its still available. Unfortunately my waist size is probably more like a small, but I'll look into the price of a diff hip belt to swap on it.

Hey PAPA D, thanks for taking a closer look. I'm pretty sure you already are, but just to make sure you are looking at the right list, here is the updated link: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5825

As far as the rain pants - I haven't bought those yet. I'm leaning more towards making some kind of rain skirt out of a poncho/heavy duty trash bag. I'll be using the zip offs as shorts when needed, on top of my lightweight LJ's. Thats the plan at least-

as far as the socks - thats my fault for being a bit misleading with my labels. When I typed "merino socks 3", that is actually my THIRD pair of socks, not 3 pairs itself. I'll be carrying 3 TOTAL, 2 for swapping out hiking, one designated for camp. My thought was hike in one while the other is drying on my pack, and switch daily (unless its still raining). Always have one dry for camp. Overkill?

Not sure which item you are seeing as my second fleece... I only have one (Columbia 1/4 zip). I do have nike fleece GLOVES, which may have been deceiving. The "adidas poly/lycra" is basically a mid/heavyweight long john type of shirt for sleeping in.

And finally - the med kit. All I meant is my pops has access to the essentials I'll be needing (fo' free). Here is a basic list of what I'm planning on carrying:
drugs (doxycycline for lymes, rocky mnt; metronidazole for giardia), ace bandage, triple antibiotic,needle for blisters, hydroglide, tampon (major trauma blood absorb), safety pins, immodium, advils, duct tape.

missing anything there?

So many thanks! And papa d, I've got a few odds and ends that are missing, I'll shoot you a PM! I never turn down a good offer,

Rowan

TOMP
01-18-2012, 16:24
So your gonna carry doxycycline the whole trip? Getting lymes or rocky mountain fever is not that common and wont be an issue until NJ for lymes. Why dont you have someone mail it to you if you get it rather than carry the whole way. I wouldnt bother carrying metronidizole either but thats just me.

rowan
01-19-2012, 16:31
So your gonna carry doxycycline the whole trip? Getting lymes or rocky mountain fever is not that common and wont be an issue until NJ for lymes. Why dont you have someone mail it to you if you get it rather than carry the whole way. I wouldnt bother carrying metronidizole either but thats just me.

May do this, however I'm wondering how negligible the weight of this would be? I guess the doxy would be about 5 or 6 pills taken daily if its like other antibiotics... I haven't looked into what the size/weight of the drugs is yet. Just figured it'd be better to have, and wouldn't weigh me down much.

Burklow
01-20-2012, 18:52
If you had a LD carrying tick removed within 72 hours, you would take a single dose of Doxycycline 200MGs. We are talking less than a gram total weight for a couple of capsules. Weight is negligible for its usefulness.

Blissful
01-20-2012, 20:58

Lyme disease is rampant here in VA, esp from SNP north. Carry it if you can, absolutely.

TOMP
01-21-2012, 00:05
Lyme disease is rampant here in VA, esp from SNP north. Carry it if you can, absolutely.

Im unconvinced. Ive hiked in NJ my whole life and never gotten lymes. Would the meds sto well? would humidity break them down? Do most hikers carry this non-otc drug? I think its alot like carrying a gun just in case.

rowan
01-21-2012, 21:54
A gun weighs a lot more :-D

I had a friend snag lymes on the AT, didn't treat it...

and I have access to it, so I don't see much problem. In the package, in a ziplock, I would think it could hold up.