PDA

View Full Version : Which waterproof stuff sack for Marmot Pinnacle

JustADude
01-11-2012, 17:06
Looking for the right size and brand combo...

Any recommendations of a waterproof breathable type are very much appreciated!

Much thanks...

Tinker
01-11-2012, 17:10
Why waterproof/breathable for a stuffsack? Does your bag sweat?:-?

Tinker
01-11-2012, 17:19
I have an eVent bivy sack which came with a combination coated nylon and eVent fabric stuffsack. I can't figure out for the life of me why. Only the bottom is eVent, and anything waterproof/breathable requires an inside heat source to work at all. I figure that the eVent bottom of the bag would only allow air to be sucked back into the stuffsack, allowing it to inflate slightly, taking up more space - makes no sense to me.
Bottom line is use something completely waterproof, either coated or laminated (most river bags made of nylon are laminated). They are heavy, but they will keep your bag dry. Get a bag slightly larger than you really need to allow it (with your sleeping bag inside it) to conform to the small spaces inside your pack. If you jam it into a small stuff sack it will sit like a bowling ball in your pack, wasting space all around it.

I have some silnylon bags which I use for clothes, but my sleeping bag goes into the bottom of my pack in an ordinary kitchen trash bag. I conform the sleeping bag to the bottom of the pack, inside the bag, twist the top loosely, squeeze all the air out that I possibly can, twist the top securely (so the down can't expand and suck air back into itself, wasting space), and twist the top of the trash bag several times, finally tucking it between the back of the pack and itself.

Silnylon isn't completely waterproof - common trash bags are (but need care to prevent punctures).

JustADude
01-11-2012, 17:23
My mistake on the terminology...

Looking for the right size and brand combo for waterproof stuff sack for Marmot Pinnacle bag (normal length).

Tinker
01-11-2012, 17:24
I was busy editing my post above. I hope you can get something useful from it. :)

skinewmexico
01-11-2012, 17:28
I was going to recommend the Glad trash compactor bag.

RWheeler
01-11-2012, 17:28
I like my Sea to Summit eVent for my sleeping bag. I can get it down small, without making it as hard as a brick, then squeeze excess air out, and still pack things onto/around it to get the most space possible.

Tinker
01-11-2012, 18:08
I just tried a down jacket in my Rab eVent stuffsack which came with my eVent bivy. Once you compress it, it sucks air back in, which means that while you're packing other things into your pack your sleeping bag is busy stealing extra space. Might work ok for a compression sack, but most long time hikers like me don't use them anymore - they're tough on insulation - especially synthetics.

TOMP
01-11-2012, 18:27
Id rather have cuben fiber or sil-nylon then the eVent becuase it is lighter. You can just as easily squeeze air out of these sacks if you know how.

JustADude
01-11-2012, 23:48
Thanks to help from Sea to Summit and Zpacks here is what I was able to put together:

The stuff sack supplied with the Regular Pinnacle measures 12 liters in volume.

Zpack Roll Top Blast Food Bag is the closest match:
Flat Dimensions: 16" wide x 20" tall
Full Dimensions: 11" wide by 5.5" deep by 12.5" tall. (750 cubic inches / 12.3 Liters)
weight: 1.2 oz. / 34 grams
$25.95

Sea to Summit has the following:
eVent Dry Sack - M 8” x 18” / 20 x 46cm
5.2 oz 148g 14/4.5 Liter
REI has it for $31.95

Choices choices...

TOMP
01-12-2012, 00:10
cuben fiber
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=63
.45 oz
17 bucks
8 X 16

Sly
01-12-2012, 00:21
I used the 2-liter Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack (lime green 0.7oz.) with a 15* Mont-bell down bag.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7

STICK
01-12-2012, 01:31
I used the 2-liter Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack (lime green 0.7oz.) with a 15* Mont-bell down bag.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7

That's impressive...I bet that is one stuffed little bag...I'm pretty sure that my Helium wouldn't ever fit in a 2L dry sack... I actually bought a 10L Granite Gear UberLite CTF3 dry sack a few weeks ago to try and use with the Helium and it was a no go. I got the bag in there but couldn't get it to roll closed...

RyanK817
01-13-2012, 05:48
I have a Pinnacle too, and I had been using the Sea to Summit eVent (http://www.rei.com/product/730882/sea-to-summit-event-compression-dry-sack) 20L compression sack, which I usually doubled as my hanging food bag. I liked it a lot, however on a recent section hike from Springer to Neels Gap, a mouse chewed a hole in it up on the bear line, so I had to get a new one. The guys at Mountain Crossings pointed me to the Granite Gear eVent Sil (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/product-p/gg%20175.htm) 18L drysack, and I actually like it better. It's a lot lighter, and while the compression straps on the S2S sack were handy, the Granite Gear bag slides in and out of my pack a heck of a lot easier and compresses down well with only a tad more effort. You could probably get away with using the 13L sack, but this one is so light that it's worth having the extra space.