PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Check for GA Section Hike Schedule

louisb
01-11-2012, 17:14
Hi All,

We are planning an 8 day hike for early May starting at Amicalola Falls (so including approach trail) and I just wanted to get a sanity check on the schedule. Right now we are looking at resupply at Neels Gap on day three and then end at Dick Creek Gap on day eight. Does that sound about right for two middle aged flatlanders from North Florida who are in decent shape and carrying light packs? Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

--louis

CrumbSnatcher
01-11-2012, 17:20
have you hiked any elevation in the past?
how light are the packs?

louisb
01-11-2012, 17:24
While I have hiked a lot, FL isn't known for it's mountains so not much elevation change. Pack weight will be 25 pounds.

Thanks,

--louis

bigmac_in
01-11-2012, 17:28
You should be fine.

Tinker
01-11-2012, 17:29
If you're in good shape it shouldn't be a problem at all. The hills are pretty steep and long in places. The Approach Trail is one of the hardest. You'll know if you're on schedule if you get to Springer Shelter by nightfall.

louisb
01-11-2012, 17:33
Thanks guys, that is what I figured. We had originally wanted to do all of GA but with only 8 days we would have to skip the approach trail to be able to make it to Deep Gap in NC on time.

Thanks,

--louis

Storm
01-11-2012, 18:08
I would think you will be hard pressed to hike to Neels gap and resupply on day three. I have never hiked that stretch but have done the approach trail. I would think Neel's on day four would be a more doable target.

max patch
01-11-2012, 18:42
My suggestions are what I believe "most people" experience in GA.

Since you are doing the approach, "most" people hike to Springer on day 1. This is particularly true if a shuttle is done on the morning of the first day. (And yeah, no one needs to post and say "I hiked to Hawk Mtn Shelter from AFSP". Thats true for some. I'm talking about "most" people.

"Most" people do not hike from Springer to Neels in 2 days. "Most" probably are at Woods Hole Shelter or the campsites just before you start to hike up Blood.

So I would not plan on Neels in 3 days. I would plan on Neels the morning of the 4th day. This means you need to plan on carrying food for 3 full days and breakfast on the 4th.

louisb
01-11-2012, 21:23
Yeah I meant 4 days. I keep dropping the day for the approach trail from my calculations because we weren't originally going to include the approach trail. So 4 days to Neels & 4 more to Dicks Creek.

Thanks,

waasj
01-11-2012, 21:41
As a fellow North Forida middleland flatager, I think Neels on AM day 4 is workable. The section from Neel's to Deep Gap is not too crazy, once you get past Springer and Blood it will seem like a (relative) cake walk. If possible keep you option open regarding endpoint. Shuttles are usually pretty flexible. Might want to head out to the stadium and run steps with a 10-15 pound water pack or hit the steps in the new capital building (if they will let you). Oxygen is the thing I crave the most every summer!! Enjoy, that is a pretty cool section of trail!

scope
01-11-2012, 21:57
Yeah I meant 4 days. I keep dropping the day for the approach trail from my calculations because we weren't originally going to include the approach trail. So 4 days to Neels & 4 more to Dicks Creek.

Thanks,

About 10m per day, a little less on the first and last day? Your itinerary would look something like...

Day1 - Black Gap shelter... you're probably thinking Springer, but you're also probably going to stop at Hawk Mt the next day, so I would cut the first day short to make sure you don't overdo it, and the next day will still be easy even if its 2m longer;
Day 2 - Hawk Mt shelter
Day 3 - Gooch Gap... 1.5m beyond shelter (makes for a shorter day the next day, but site is next to FS rd.)
Day 4 - Woods Hole shelter
Day 5 - Whitley Gap shelter... well worth the extra distance off the main trail
Day 6 - Blue Mt shelter
Day 7 - Sassafras Gap (good spring)
Day 8 - 6m to Hwy76

Have fun!!

louisb
01-11-2012, 22:43
Thanks guys. Wassg I have been doing stairs in the 7 story building where I work but I may need to step it up some. scope, thanks for breaking that out. I am still waiting on my maps from ATC so I had not worked out all the stops yet. That will help a bunch.

Thanks,

--louis

Ladytrekker
01-12-2012, 00:36
I am doing the exact same trip in early May and from North Florida there are 6 of us starting at the falls planning on doing the approach also, but we will discuss that closer to the hike. Good Luck.

louisb
01-12-2012, 09:52
Ladytrekker good luck to you too and maybe we will see you on the trail. Oh and I know of at least one team that got out of the swamp alive this year. ;)

--louis
Go Noles!

jburgasser
01-12-2012, 11:52
Oh and I know of at least one team that got out of the swamp alive this year. ;)

--louis
Go Noles!

GO NOLES is right. Got out of the swamp alive and even took some of it back to Tally with them...AGAIN!!!
Louis, I am 42, my father-in-law is 60 we did Amicalola to Deep Gap just across the border in NC in 10 days and he is not in all that great of shape. He had about a 35-40 lb pack. He was cussing a bit here and there on some of the inclines but we felt fresh and ready to go each morning. We live in Tampa which has even less hills than Tally. In other words, if we can do it, you can do it!

Have a great hike and GO NOLES!!

Jim B

Hikes in Rain
01-12-2012, 11:58
Not adding anything to the conversation, but I need to get in touch with you fellow Floridians, especially the Tallahassee folks! Sharing rides would make my section hikes a LOT easier.

louisb
01-12-2012, 12:22
Hi Jim thanks for the input. I wish I had 2 more days to do the trail to Deep Gap NC as well but not this year. Hikes in Rain it would be cool to meet up with some fellow Florida folks. (Even Gators)

--louis

Hikes in Rain
01-12-2012, 12:34
Uhh...how'd you know I went to U of F??? Except I wasn't actually a Gator, I was a Florida Fencer. Same thing, just with swords.

max patch
01-12-2012, 12:36
The FSU football players always seem to wear real nice shoes.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2012, 12:38
The FSU football players always seem to wear real nice shoes.from all that money they get when recruited

louisb
01-12-2012, 12:56
The FSU football players always seem to wear real nice shoes.

We are not called Felony State University for nothing. ;) HIR, we will just add football to the big three things not to talk about when on the trail. lol

--louis

Smile
01-12-2012, 13:42
Sounds like you're ready to have a great hike! Hope it's fun, IMHO, I'd skip the approach trail. Nice views, but not worth what it might do to those flatlander feet. Shuttle to top of Springer, and enjoy the hike with a little less time constraint :)

Hikes in Rain
01-13-2012, 10:58
We can talk football, if you don't mind that I can't hold up my end of the conversation. Fencing, now....

Just wanted to wish you a great hike! Hoping for no rain.

QiWiz
01-13-2012, 17:28
I think you are probably going to be OK, as long as you'll hike no matter the weather. I did the same in less time as a 56 year old lightweight backpacker. Started at about noon on an early April Saturday in Amicalola, resupplied mid-day at Neels Gap on Tuesday, and arrived at Dick Creek Gap early Friday afternoon to stay in the Blueberry Patch hostel. This was seven rather than the eight days you've budgeted. See trailjournals.com/QiWiz for details.

louisb
01-13-2012, 20:48
Cool QiWiz, I will check it out.

Thanks,

--louis

waasj
01-14-2012, 13:05
Sems there are many North Florida old and young timers headed out. We should get organized or at least start talking to each other more since we have the same lack of terrain. I am headed out in June Damascus to Pearlisburg or so. Would not mind having a bit of company. Gator or 'Nole, doesn't matter. I went to USF before they had a football team. As long as you're not a Bulldog (but that might even be negotiable).