PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Shelter(s)-Don' Miss 'Em

highway
09-05-2002, 09:19
For someone who has not gone, from those of you that have, what is your "Don't Miss!" shelter and why? I have been reading your comments on each and making note of those i should see, based on those that have gone before. But there are so many pages....I suspect I am not the only one who would like it thusly

DebW
09-24-2002, 14:00
The Spruce Peak Shelter in Vermont counts as one of my favorites (but I've only done 3 states so far). It's actually an enclosed cabin with a big sliding door, though no one ever shut the door when I was there. Table inside and a window. Could probably sleep 16-24 people - there were 7 when I was there. Big porch on the front, picnic table, some tentsites, and an overlook to watch the sunset from.

Dan Bowen
09-25-2002, 18:06
I have not hiked the whole AT yet, but I have done all of CT. There is a shelter called Riga shelter.Its before you get to Bear Mt.(nobo). There is the most awsome sunrise there.

Aubrey
03-02-2003, 03:37
Riga definitely gets a vote from me as well; Especially when the valley is locked in fog.

Couple other primo shelters/campsites off the top of my head:

Cold Springs: it's ON the trail (so is the water)
Max Patch: simply magic
OverMountain: Old converted Barn, BEAUTIFUL area
Blackburn: always a good time to be had there
Tumbling Run: don't know why, just like it a lot
Peter's Mtn: Nice shelter, have fun getting H2O
Ten Mile River: swimming, open field, lovely
Silver Hill: it's REALLY close to beer
Upper Goose: it's got a canoe (sorry 'bout the last one...:rolleyes:
Stratton Pond: it's a pond, need I say more?

Jumpstart
03-02-2003, 20:20
The Partnership Shelter in VA was great. Huge two-story shelter, The Visitor's Center has indoor plumbing, the shelter has a hot shower, there's a pay phone, and the pizza people deliver. What more could you want?

Sleepy the Arab
03-02-2003, 22:56
I've always been partial to shelters in high places. I guess my favorite would have to be Chestnut Knob Shelter with Roan High Knob shelter a close second.

Despite all the glowing reviews, I never cared for Partnership shelter. Too "civilized" for my blood I guess.

Aubrey
03-02-2003, 23:29
Oooh, Chestnut Knob - how the DEUCE did I forget that one! Yup, it gets my vote too! :)

Lugnut
03-03-2003, 01:47
I spent a fitful night at Chestnut Knob a couple years ago. I read in the register that there were at least three rattlesnakes in the shelter, probably in the straw. Think I spent more time looking for them than sleeping. Never found them. If it was a joke it got me! In it's defense I will say it has one of the best views I've seen. Sort of a "garden view". :)

MedicineMan
03-03-2003, 04:00
I'm with Sleepy the Arab, and I would add the Overmountain Shelter. I for some reason also liked the Trimpi shelter, maybe it was the fireplace...and then there is the Fontana Hilton,hmmm lots of good ones, even the one at Laurel Fork is cool because it was made of the native stone. Gooch was nice too.

Moose2001
03-03-2003, 08:10
Sleepy, I'll second or I guess third Chestnut Knob. It was a magical place for me. It had been raining all day and I holed up in Chestnut Knob to avoid a huge thunderstorm. About 3:30 a group of 6 other thrus came in. Little did I know at the time that I'd share the trail for the next 500 miles with this group. After dinner the thunderstorm passed, the clouds started to break up and the most magnificent sunset I saw on the trail developed. We all stood outside and took pictures of it and ohhhh and ahhhh. We stood and looked down into Burke's Garden and turned back and looked at the sunset. I was SOOOOOO disappointed when I got my pictures back because they never even came close to showing how beautiful that evening was.

Sleepy the Arab
03-03-2003, 23:18
Very odd, Moose....that sounds exactly like the day I had at Chestnut Knob.

Yes, very strange indeed....

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2003, 16:29
Overmountain.

It's the ONLY shelter on the entire Trail that I make sure I stay at, regardless of what time of day I get there. Also, if you've ever thought of taking a zero day on the trail, as opposed to in town, this is a great place to do it.

Grimace
03-04-2003, 16:42
This one is inthe 100 mile WIlderness a day or two from Big K. Don't know if many NOBOs stop here being so close and all.

It has a fantastic swimming hole with a water fall. You get yourself situated right and turns into the best massage parlor on the trail.

Our hike to the shelter was horrible - 95 degree day and we had to hike in full rain gear to keep the skeeters at bay. When we got to the shelter our pains were literally washed away.

Footslogger
03-04-2003, 18:24
Hey Grimace ...BA Turtle and I hit Cooper Brook shelter on 9/27/01 on the way to Katahdin. Had the entire shelter to ourselves. One of the best night's sleep I had in the entire 100 mile wilderness. You're right about the falls and swimming hole. We didn't jump in though. Had been hiking with wet clothes and gear for 2 days and chose to hang a line and let everything dry out instead.

Moose2001
03-04-2003, 18:29
Hmmm.. Sleepy now you're makin me think. Let me count who was at Chestnut Knob that night....... senility is a terrible thing to waste. Nope... don't think so. Last place I remember seeing you was.......Vandeventer or.... was it The Place. Wait... no... damn.. I don't know!!!

Sleepy the Arab
03-05-2003, 00:01
Whatever you got Moose, I got it worse. I don't even remember meeting you in 2001. But let's see...the people I was with at Chestnut Knob...there was Chef, 2 Traex....uh Preacher...Sheesh! I know for sure that I was coming down with a cold at the time and thoroughly engrossed in the copy of Farenheit 451 I picked up at the Place.

But I digress. To keep the thread on subject, I will also add that I dearly love Kinsman Pond Shelter as well.

The tin can Boy Scout Shelter a mile north of Catawba gets my vote for worst.

Papa Bear
03-05-2003, 00:26
I've hiked from NJ to Maine and my favorites are:

NJ
- skip this state
NY
- skip
CT
- 10 Mile River - beautiful spot
- Riga - great view
MA
- Upper Goose Pond
- Bascom Lodge (sorry, but a great place to stay)
VT
- Goddard - awesome view
- Stratton Pond
NH
- Hexacube - cool
- Galehead Hut (sorry, but it's a great little place)
ME
- Speck Pond
- Ski Hut on Sugarloaf - you gotta go there

Had to stop in Stratton. get the rest this summer.

Pb

Aubrey
03-05-2003, 02:39
I remember that night well, Sleepy. We went out after the rain and watched lightning strikes on the far ridgeline. As I recall, it was during a horribly long period of rain - something like 21 straight days of rain for me. Egads! I was pretty tired of being wet.

I remember coming out of P-Burg. Where the trail heads off to the right after crossing the bridge, there's what is normally a very tiny stream. It was a raging torrent - almost swept me down into the river.

Blue Jay
03-05-2003, 08:48
Papa Bear you must have missed Shooter's Secret Shelter. It has a sink and shower. Also donkeys nearby (I know one jackass likes to see other jackasses).

rickb
03-05-2003, 14:14
Hi Papa Bear--

So Bascom Lodge was a great place to stay? As I am sure you know, up until a few years ago it was run by the AMC much like the huts up in NH (albeit a few feet from the road).

I understand that it is now run by another outdoor education organization.

My question is how the food, prices and overall experience compared to that of the AMC facilities.

Rick B

chris
03-05-2003, 14:30
Some places I really liked that haven't been mentionned before. Tray Mountain (views, and the water is closer than listed in the companion), Plumorchard (off trail, but really nice), Fontana Hilton (go for a real swim, showers), Pecks Corner (yeah, it is 1/2 mile off trail, but a nice setting, little used, and you can get water on the AT to carry down), Davenport Gap (pleasant setting, close water, no one around since Mountain Momas is so close), Overmountain (yeah, its been mentionned already, but this is a no-brainer), Watuga Lake (swimming and rope swing close by, a portable throne that you can take to your favorite spot in the woods).

Blue Jay
03-05-2003, 14:56
I live near Mt. Greylock and have hiked all my life there. Bascom Lodge has always been excellent. It's hard for me to believe the AMC that ran Bascom was the same as the one in the Whites (I know it was a different division). The new outfit seems to also be very good.

BamBam
03-05-2003, 15:09
Bryant Ridge in VA. Not all that practical, but really cool looking.

Papa Bear
03-05-2003, 23:13
Our stay at Bascom was unusual and memorable. We called them from Pittsfield on Thursday night, May 16, 2002 (last May) and asked if they were opened. They said we open tomorrow (Friday the 17th). I said fine, we expect to arrive on Saturday. Fine.

This solved a problem of Saturday being either too long or too short. So anyway come Saturday morning at Crystal Mt Campsite we awoke to 3 inches of wet snow (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_section_2/acv.sized.jpg) . We trudged down through Cheshire where we had rain and sleet, then up Greylock where rain turned to sleet to snow to lots of snow. At the top of Greylock we were hiking through 8 inches of snow. The site of such snow in late spring was awesome (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_section_2/acw.sized.jpg)

We banged on the door and were met by two very surprised croo members who never expected a soul to show up. This was more snow than they had gotten all winter.

We made ourselves at home and had the place to ourselves. Hung out and dried off at the Fire (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_section_2/acx.sized.jpg) and had a nice meal cooked to order. We were very happy to be here rather than the next shelter (I think 3 miles beyond).

The croo (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_section_2/acy.sized.jpg) told us there had been a wedding reception scheduled there that night, but the road was impassable and it was held at the bottom of the mountain where the park had some facility.

My notes say it cost $45 for overnight and 2 meals. This is comperable to the White Mountain huts (which we also stayed in) and the accomdations where in some ways better. A lot but well worth it for us at the time. They were talking of setting up some kind of cheap place for thru-hikers but I don't know if they ever did. Naturally the croo complained how the previous lessor (the AMC) had let the place go to pot, and how much better they were runnimg things. Could not judge the truth of this - it may have been just talk.

Next morning (Sunday) we awoke to a beautiful sunny day (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_section_2/add.sized.jpg). Grand old Greylock never looked better.

Here's the lodge (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_section_2/ada.sized.jpg) in the snow.

hikerat2002
04-29-2003, 06:34
Muskrat Creek Shelter is a memorable one after hard climb out of Bly Gap. I liked the Matts Creek shelter too because it was alongside a nice stream and was scenic resting spot for the night after a 20+mile day in VA. Other shelters I favor include Bryant Ridge and Mt. Wilcox North Lean-To. The Wilcox lean-To is on a side trail and down a little hill. I had it to myself and was besides a small stream. The South Wilcox Lean-to is an eyesore.The WildCat shelter I had to myself once in May 2001 during the heat spell. I swear it was like being in the Blair Witch Project staying there. The place is not exactly scenic and NY kind of unnerves me anyway. The trail through NY though is killer in terms of ups and downs. Connecticutt rivals it next with its non-easy grades. I digress, but yeah, the OverMountain Barn is a fond place too. Good spring and huge space to camp out with. The Roan High Knob Shelter was a riot during a snow spell one year. I stayed in it for two days because I was too lazy and cold to get up and hike the 3.6 miles to the barn.

waldo
02-10-2004, 17:36
Rice Field Shelter outside of Pearisburg, VA

Quarry Gap shelter somewhere in PA

tribes
02-10-2004, 18:21
In my brief time on the trail I would have to say Riga Lean-to in Connecticut and Goddard Shelter in Vermont were my favorites.

A-Train
02-10-2004, 18:24
All the shelters in the Grayson highlands are pretty remarkable: Thomas Knob, Wise and Old Orchard had a beautiful setting.

Overmountain is pretty spectacular too. I could probably go on forever.

Needles
02-10-2004, 19:07
Jerry Cabin, why? It was the first shelter I saw on the trail.

Almanac
02-11-2004, 09:49
The two that come to mind first for me are Cooper Brook, which someone else has already mentioned, and Quarry Gap. Quarry Gap is two small shelters, both covered by a single tin roof with picnic table in the "breezeway." Water is right in front from a stream...with a bench right beside it.

I think the other one I'm thinking of is Bryant Ridge? Is this the 3-story shelter on the river not far from Jennings Creek?

papa john
02-11-2004, 10:06
It was the first shelter I saw on the trail.

You didn't go by Cold Spring Shelter in NC? The trail runs right past it.

mindlessmariachi
02-11-2004, 11:31
i'm blanking on the name of it, but what's the shelter about 4 or 5 miles south of bear mountain new york? I think it's underrated; on my hike, few thru hikers bothered going there because it was about a half mile off the trail and had no water. But that half mile is actually a pretty interesting walk through some meadows, and the shelter itself has a cool view of the hudson river, george washington bridge and manhattan skyline. i know that's not for everyone, but i kind of liked seeing the worlds collide.

jollies
02-11-2004, 12:04
That shelter is called the West Mountain Shelter. I also took the side trail to this one even though it was considered to be way too much for a thru-hiker to go for a shelter. :p I spent perhaps my finest evening in a shelter on the trail at this shelter because that night was perfectly clear and you could see all the way to NYC. Not to mention that the Meadowlands in New Jersey was having something and that was all lit up too. Just a fantastic shelter. If it is a clear night, by all means, this was the best shelter on the AT by my standards.

P.S. Mt. Wilcox North got my vote as one of the worst. How could you like that shelter? When I got there, there were mosquitos everywhere and I had run out of water, and there was none there! Now of course my bad experience probably slants my opinion of it, but I don't see what's so special about it anyway.

Jaybird
02-11-2004, 12:43
Overmountain.

It's the ONLY shelter on the entire Trail that I make sure I stay at, regardless of what time of day I get there...................

WOW! what a recommendation! wish i'd have stopped now!

in my limited time out on the A.T......i've enjoyed Deep Gap (NC) shelter & because its the highest elevation shelter on the A.T.,...the Roan High Shelter. :p

see ya'll UP the trail

A-Train
02-11-2004, 13:45
That shelter is called the West Mountain Shelter. I also took the side trail to this one even though it was considered to be way too much for a thru-hiker to go for a shelter. :p I spent perhaps my finest evening in a shelter on the trail at this shelter because that night was perfectly clear and you could see all the way to NYC. Not to mention that the Meadowlands in New Jersey was having something and that was all lit up too. Just a fantastic shelter. If it is a clear night, by all means, this was the best shelter on the AT by my standards.

P.S. Mt. Wilcox North got my vote as one of the worst. How could you like that shelter? When I got there, there were mosquitos everywhere and I had run out of water, and there was none there! Now of course my bad experience probably slants my opinion of it, but I don't see what's so special about it anyway.

I Completely agree. I think West Mtn shelter is awesome and underated. Great ridge and views. I didnt stop on my thru hiker but i've been there many a times on sections and day hikes

And I also agree on Wilcox North. Again, stayed there on a section, not my thru-hike, but it was bug hell, a nasty dark shelter and hardly any water. And far off the Trail! Keep going to Upper Goose Cabin if possible, its an oasis :)

Kerosene
02-11-2004, 14:18
I wanted to have lunch at West Mtn. Shelter while I was slackpacking through New York a few Junes ago, but it was quite foggy so we pushed on. We did catch a quick glimpse through the clouds of the absolutely massive parking lots associated with the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area off the Palisades Parkway. It must be a real zoo on weekends.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2004, 16:49
Jaybird---

Not only is Overmountain my favorite shelter, but it just might be my favorite place on the entire Trail; the view down the valley there is nothing short of spectacular.

I have such strong feelings about this place that I've arranged to have my ashes scatterred there when the time comes; if you've got to spend eternity in one place, you could do a hell of a lot worse than here; I hope the 2004 hikers make sure not to miss Overmountain.....if you arrive too early in the day to stop for the night, at least take the side trail down to the shelter and valley view and take a long break; you won't regret it.

oyvay
02-12-2004, 02:37
Jack I agree with you it's the best shelter on the trail. I planned a zero day there on a section hike, unfortunately the weather did not cooperate so I didn't stay a second night. Hopefully it's a long time before your ashes are scattered for the hikers' sake. ;) (only a joke, don't get upset)

Needles
02-12-2004, 04:12
You didn't go by Cold Spring Shelter in NC? The trail runs right past it.

Actually not on that trip, my first time on the trail was an overnight trip and I actually only saw one shelter that trip. Of course since then I have seen many, many more shelters, and yes Cold Spring was one of them, in fact there may still be an imprint from my forehead on one of the logs spanning the top of that shelter :-)