PDA

View Full Version : SNP skyline drive winter closings

1azarus
01-11-2012, 19:11
I'm a little frustrated, and yes, I know I can suck it up, but it seems like the SNP closes the skyline drive if there is a cloud in the sky or a patch of ice in Maine. Am I being fair? Makes it harder to plan hikes when the road is likely to be closed even in decent weather. By the way, I am a fan of the SNP because they allow dogs and are great with making reservations -- so this isn't purely a bitch thread.

Creek Dancer
01-11-2012, 20:11
Yup, they will close the road with even the slightest hint of frozen participation. I suppose it's a good idea because some people simply don't slow down and take those turns way too fast.

A couple of times, the road closed between the time I left the house (when I called the road closure number) and the time I got there. I learned to have a plan B hike in mind where I could park near (but not go through) an entrance station.

Blissful
01-11-2012, 20:13
It's to get you beefy guys (and gals) to start at the bottom in the valley and hike up into the park...

Go for it!

:)

1azarus
01-11-2012, 21:06
It's to get you beefy guys (and gals) to start at the bottom in the valley and hike up into the park...

Go for it!

:)

Just bad planning on my part. I'm missing a little section of trail between elk wallow and ashby gap. I think I'm going to have to plan to road walk north from I think it's thornton gap to pick up the trail. I'll be hiking with two dogs and I want to be gentle...well, and you know,i want to hike where I want to hike! I know, just whining.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
01-11-2012, 23:43
Conditions can change quickly and even relatively small differences in elevation can mean the difference between icy conditions and not too bad. So, it's understandable they would err on the side of caution.

Megapixel
01-11-2012, 23:52
Yeah, as someone who lives here I understand your pain. It's 38 and falling here now with pouring rain near the park at a much lower elevation; i can imagine at a few places inside the park its going to get icy tonight.

BlackCloud
01-12-2012, 18:00
I hear your pain. I prefer winter hiking & section hiking thru SHEN had its logistical challanges. I advise that you get ahold of a Virginia Gazateer that will show you every dirt road int he state. There are MANY roads that go ride up to park ppty & can be used in winter to access trails, including the AT.

restless
01-12-2012, 21:35
I hear your pain. I prefer winter hiking & section hiking thru SHEN had its logistical challanges. I advise that you get ahold of a Virginia Gazateer that will show you every dirt road int he state. There are MANY roads that go ride up to park ppty & can be used in winter to access trails, including the AT.

Keep in mind that a lot of these roads, while public, provide no public right of way for parking. Most of the NPS boundary lies considerably lower in elevation than the AT and there may or may not be trail access. My suggestion would be to plan your hike to begin and end at one of the major crossings or locate a shuttle service to help. Otherwise, you could possibly spend half a day or more just hiking to the trail.