PDA

View Full Version : "AWOL on the A.T." and Montana??

B-Rabbit
01-12-2012, 10:10
So, I am reading the book "AWOL on the AT" and noticed in the back of the book there is a picture of "AWOL" standing in front of a mountain. I recognize this mountain to be "Lone Peak" in Big Sky Montana( Far from the AT). Just curious... Does anyone know the connection between AWOL and Big Sky Resort? I worked out there for years and would like to know how that ended up in his book?

Awol2003
01-12-2012, 11:36
Good catch. The book publisher asked for author photos "in an outdoor environment” and wanted something different from what was already in the book. With my looks, it’s hard to find a picture of me that wouldn’t hurt sales. I sent them a number of options, and they chose this one from Lone Peak taken by my brother. Big Sky was a favorite vacation spot for my father, who walked to the summit of Lone Peak on most of his trips (he didn’t ski, and went in summer). My father passed away in 2008. The photo was taken a little later when our family went on trip there as a memorial to him.

B-Rabbit
01-12-2012, 13:54
Nice! I wasn't even sure if anyone could answer the question. I sure didn't think that David Miller himself would respond. Great book by the way! (Im sure you've heard that a time or two). Looking forward to living out a similar adventure on my thru this spring. Hoping your 2012 edition Guide Book leads me in the right direction! Im sure it will, I bought it with confidence!

Sorry to hear about your loss. You father had great taste in mountains! Lone Peak still remains in my top favorites for skiing or hiking!

Good luck with your future endeavors!