PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in hiking in Israel?

Local
01-12-2012, 10:20
This might belong in the "Other trails" section, but I wanted to put this question out to the general Whiteblaze audience. Are there any of you who might be interested in hiking the Israel National Trail (a meandering 620 miles) in the future? I've started a website to promote the INT among English-speaking hikers, and would like to get a rough idea of what type of interest there might be. Here's the site: http://www.israeltrail.net/

Hiking in Israel is unlike hiking the AT because of the extreme diversity of landscapes and cultures, as well as the layers of history you cross over. You walk over ancient Biblical paths, over Roman roads, on the Nabotean Spice Trail, by ruins from Byzantine and Crusader days, and from a dozen other historical times. The geography starts in the dry southern desert and ends up in the Galilee with waterfalls. In terms of security, hiking the Israel National Trail is much safer than hiking the Appalachian Trail, statistically speaking.

If you think you might have some interest in learning more about the Israel National Trail, or might even consider hiking all or part of it one day, please post something here or contact me at grsmith07 at gmail.com. I'm trying to decide how much energy to put into this project, or if I should just go down to the Red Sea in Egypt and hang out at a dive club for the months of February and March.

Thanks for any constructive advice, and I hope to see you at Trail Days this year.

Studentpreacher
01-12-2012, 12:09
That would be an amazing hike! May have to add that to my "bucket list".

Chubbs4U
01-12-2012, 12:20
Wish you the best of luck and wish I had the fortitude to do it myself. I know that we shouldnt allow others to determine what and when we do it but it just seems "not safe" right now to go to either place to hike. Kind of on subject, remember the hikers that were "in Iran" and got "apprehended". My thought always goes to yes they were allowed to be there and yes it was great hiking but why put yourself in danger like that when its not needed. My 2 cents and sorry if it rained on your parade.

Shutterbug
01-12-2012, 13:33
Just this week, I was looking at one of the pictures from one of my trips to Israel. It was a picture of the Jerico Road. I thought how great it would be to hike that road, but I have not given consideration to hiking the Israel National Trial. If I hiked it, I would hire a guide to assist with the culture and the languages. I will check out the web site.

strollingalong
01-12-2012, 13:39
Israel's gotta be one of the only places Americans won't get hated on, Chubbs. Don't be scared.

theoilman
01-12-2012, 21:10
Sounds interesting. My bucket list already has on it a trip to Israel and "walk where Jesus walked," this might be an additional option. Though my current plan has this trip several years away.

CrumbSnatcher
01-12-2012, 21:17
don't be blueblazing, might end up in Iran

Local
01-12-2012, 23:15
don't be blueblazing, might end up in Iran

Just to make a point that hiking in the Middle East is not exactly like the AT, here's a photo of a short hike near Luxor, in Egypt, from a couple of years ago. The Valley of the Kings is over the ridge to the right, the Nile Valley is to the left, and the Tomb of Hetshutsup is down the mountainside to the left, out of the picture. Although I live in Damascus, Virginia, and walk the AT every day, there is something special and different about hiking in the ancient landscapes of Israel, Egypt, and Jordan. But I think I'll take Crumbsnatcher's advice and stay clear of Iran.

Tinker
01-13-2012, 00:00

Just to make a point that hiking in the Middle East is not exactly like the AT, here's a photo of a short hike near Luxor, in Egypt, from a couple of years ago. The Valley of the Kings is over the ridge to the right, the Nile Valley is to the left, and the Tomb of Hetshutsup is down the mountainside to the left, out of the picture. Although I live in Damascus, Virginia, and walk the AT every day, there is something special and different about hiking in the ancient landscapes of Israel, Egypt, and Jordan. But I think I'll take Crumbsnatcher's advice and stay clear of Iran.

Where do I hang my hammock?

It would be a fantastic thing to do after I get out of debt and retire. I had no idea that there was a "National Trail" in Israel. Another thing to dream about. Miracles happen - I just can't control my direction in life, really.

Shadowalker
01-13-2012, 00:46
I would Love to do a Hike like that , Wanna expirence the AT first , Waiting for March to get here , I will watch for your further Posts , Count me in , Not getting any Younger !! Shadowalker !!

buff_jeff
01-13-2012, 17:25
I was in Israel for about 3 weeks in September 2010. Obviously didn't have time to do the INT, but I did hike the Jesus Trail. It was OK. From what I've read about the INT and experienced on the JT, it is more rural hiking than backcountry hiking, with the exception of perhaps the Negev Desert. I'd imagine it's somewhat similar to the Camino De Santiago, except in Israel. I don't know that I would go back to do the INT. I enjoyed my time In Israel but I don't really have any desire to go back. There are too many other places I'd go first. I'm not religious so it wasn't a particularly "powerful" experience and the scenery didn't really appeal to me. Of course, when I was there, it was hot, dusty, and really hazy. I've seen pictures and couldn't believe how lush and altogether more appealing the scenery in the Golan/Galilee region is during the spring.

I think your website would be VERY beneficial to prospective hikers of the INT, however. I met one girl in Israel who was planning on hiking it but she had next to know information on the trail, as she didn't speak Hebrew. I don't even know if she had maps or a guidebook. The lack of information is a huge turnoff to people right now, from what I've gathered.

buff_jeff
01-13-2012, 17:32
Yeah, the people in Israel were very friendly. I don't think I had one bad interaction there. Well, besides the super annoying vendors in Old City, Jerusalem. :p

The people in Jordan were really friendly to me, also.

buff_jeff
01-13-2012, 17:46
Sorry to have hijacked the thread but to my previous point, here are comparison shots on the JT:

This is the type of view I had (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6691657503_567e16f718_b.jpg)

This is what it can look like (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rFs0uVY_4rE/TD_8LDHu8BI/AAAAAAAAIJA/1q2EoJny56c/s1600/view+from+the+horns_hattin.jpg)

So, maybe I just hit it at the wrong time of year. Those are both taken from the Horns of Hattin, looking towards Arbel Cliffs. I did not take the second picture.

My last post was in response to StrollingAlong, btw.

Local
01-13-2012, 21:18
........................ The lack of information is a huge turnoff to people right now, from what I've gathered. ..............

So, maybe I just hit it at the wrong time of year...................

buff_jeff, thanks for your good observations. I'm working with the guy who did the English guidebook and he has been generous in providing information. As to the wrong time of year, yes. I was there in September once and it was dry, dusty, hot, and very little water flowing anywhere. The best times are March, April, and May, when everything is blooming, the creeks and river (as you know, really only one, the Jordan) are full, and birds are migrating. Attached is a photo I took on the Golan Heights some years back (copy of a copy, sorry about the quality) and you can see the heavy snow in the mountains. As to the Jordanians, they are also great people, and I hope to get back over there to see some friends and to spend more time at Petra. Sounds like you've got a full travel schedule in front of you.

buff_jeff
01-13-2012, 21:34
buff_jeff, thanks for your good observations. I'm working with the guy who did the English guidebook and he has been generous in providing information. As to the wrong time of year, yes. I was there in September once and it was dry, dusty, hot, and very little water flowing anywhere. The best times are March, April, and May, when everything is blooming, the creeks and river (as you know, really only one, the Jordan) are full, and birds are migrating. Attached is a photo I took on the Golan Heights some years back (copy of a copy, sorry about the quality) and you can see the heavy snow in the mountains. As to the Jordanians, they are also great people, and I hope to get back over there to see some friends and to spend more time at Petra. Sounds like you've got a full travel schedule in front of you.

Yeah, that looks awesome, man! I wish I would have had the time to hike the INT while I was there, but I didn't have the time or money and it was really the wrong season, anyway. The history along the JT was really interesting; I can only imagine 600+ miles of that!

I honestly think the INT has the potential to be one of the more popular long distance trails in the world. When I was there, more than a few people spoke about it, and there seemed to be some enthusiasm for it. There just isn't much information out there. Something like Yogi's guides for the INT would be sweet. I think your website would be greatly beneficial to those looking to do the trail because, honestly, once the word gets out, I think the INT will be pretty popular.

SCRUB HIKER
01-13-2012, 22:35
On the AT last year I ran into, chatted with, and got the contact information for an Israeli fellow named Itai who is the lead trekking guide for this company (http://www.shekett.co.il/index_en.html) on the INT. He was an extremely amiable and competent guy and talking to him for half an hour made me put hiking the INT, especially with his organization, on my bucket list.

Panzer1
01-13-2012, 23:08
Better hurry up before Iran finishes their nuke bomb.

Monkeywrench
01-14-2012, 08:50
Just this week, I was looking at one of the pictures from one of my trips to Israel. It was a picture of the Jerico Road. I thought how great it would be to hike that road, but I have not given consideration to hiking the Israel National Trial. If I hiked it, I would hire a guide to assist with the culture and the languages. I will check out the web site.

You'd have very little difficulty with language in Israel. My wife and I spent most of the month of October bicycle touring the length and breadth of Israel, and very rarely could we not find someone who spoke English. And even then, we always managed to make ourselves understood one way or another.

Monkeywrench
01-14-2012, 08:52
Sounds interesting. My bucket list already has on it a trip to Israel and "walk where Jesus walked," this might be an additional option. Though my current plan has this trip several years away.

You might be interested in The Jesus trail. Much shorter than the INT, it runs from Nazareth to Capernaum, on Yam Kinneret (Sea of Galilee).

Local
01-14-2012, 09:32
Monkeywrench, I would be interested in hearing about your bike trip in Israel. Do you have any photos online? The Jesus Trail is a good suggestion, and very short in comparison to the Israel National Trail, only about 40 miles. Here's the website: http://jesustrail.com/ The site is done by a young woman from Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. Cool. You mention you covered the "length and breadth" of Israel: on one hike my cousin and I walked from near the Jordanian border to the sea in less than a day. And as you know, in places the country is only nine miles wide.

Monkeywrench
01-14-2012, 14:02
Monkeywrench, I would be interested in hearing about your bike trip in Israel. Do you have any photos online? The Jesus Trail is a good suggestion, and very short in comparison to the Israel National Trail, only about 40 miles. Here's the website: http://jesustrail.com/ The site is done by a young woman from Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. Cool. You mention you covered the "length and breadth" of Israel: on one hike my cousin and I walked from near the Jordanian border to the sea in less than a day. And as you know, in places the country is only nine miles wide.

I kept a blog during the trip, which you can read starting here: http://allenf.com/blog/?p=688

Photos are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/117957848509101633801/Israel2011

We started in Kiryat Shemona (because we could drop a rental car there) went north to Metula on the Lebanon border, then east to Mount Hermon, south along the Golan Heights before descending down to Yam Kinneret / Sea of Galilee. From there we went north and west towards Rosh HaNikra on the Mediterranean, down the coast to Akko, Haifa, and on to Tel Aviv, then east (and UP!) to Jerusalem. After spending a few days in Jerusalem we went east (and DOWN!) to the Dead Sea. After cycling south along the Dead Sea we climbed west into the Negev, then made our way to Eilat, at the southern tip of Israel on the Red Sea.

We crossed the INT several times, and in fact I think we rode some unpaved roads also used by the INT. We also crossed the Jesus Trail around Yam Kinneret.

Monkeywrench
01-14-2012, 14:03
Just noticed there is an article on hiking the Jesus Trail in the latest issue of Backpacking.

buff_jeff
01-14-2012, 14:20
Just noticed there is an article on hiking the Jesus Trail in the latest issue of Backpacking.

Yeah, the dude who started the trail has done a great job in getting the word out. I actually didn't know about it until I got to Nazareth.

That bike trip sounds sweet, btw. I just picked up a touring bike and I'd eventually like to take a long ride.