PDA

View Full Version : Hydration bladder for Kelty Trekker 65?

Janeway
01-12-2012, 14:12
I decided to try out the Kelty Trekker 65 extrenal frame backpack (65L, 3950cu in, 4lbs 14 oz) after having some difficulty with my Osprey Oriel 65 XS (59 L, 3600cu in, 4lbs 8 oz). I felt that the Osprey was just too small to fit everything, and has only two side pockets, so I decided to try the Kelty. After an overnight at Red River Gorge last weekend, I have to say it was more comfortable and once I figured out how to properly position contents I was overall pleased. However, I haven't given up totally on the Osprey. I'm going to a "How to Pack" clinic tomorrow and I'll take everything and both packs. So if I can get some help with proper fit (that doesn't hurt my collar bones) and get everything I need into it, I may go back to it.

The biggest drawback I can find with the Kelty Trekker is that even though it is "hydration compatible" I'd really like to know which hydration system it's compatible with. The hydration sleeve is on the back wall (like the Osprey) but it is not as deep and it's wider. No way to slip the Oprey bladder in vertically. And if you try to do that the top part would back up to a part of the frame (that doesn't seem like a good idea). You might put it in diagonally, but that's not great either and the bladder is too long to fit in horizontally, and threading the tube up through the holes is difficult. I've searched around and can't find any other bladder that seems like it might work. So, I'm really hoping someone has found a way to successfully use a hydration bladder in the Kelty Trekker or other external frame backpack.

ljcsov
01-12-2012, 17:17
First, you can always just stick your bladder inside your pack with some sort of sleeve around it to give it some extra protection. But, the downside is that it might shift around in there.

Second, I know my Lowe Alpine bladder pocket is quite shallow. However, it does still sit upright with the top protruding from the sleeve. Once you put other stuff in there the bladder won't shift around and its mainly protected from other things. Are you able to do this with the Kelty trekker? I had a Kelty Courser and I was able to get a 100oz bladder into it's pocket.

Janeway
01-14-2012, 09:18
I'm probably going back to my Osprey Ariel and using the 2L bladder. I went to a "How to Pack" clinic at my local outfitter, Road Rivers and Trails (they are the best!!! Thanks Brian, Joe and Emily) and not only did they help me trim 5 lbs 1 oz off my load, they helped me make a lot of adjustments that made it fit me correctly. Still really like the Kelty Trekker, but since I can actually use the bladder and got the correct fit, the Osprey is going to serve me better. I'd still like to know what bladder would actually work with the Kelty.