PDA

View Full Version : taking the train/specifications

ekeverette
01-12-2012, 20:01
going to be taking the train to georgia... haven't traveled since my military days. the trains luggage dimensions to keep my pack over head are 28 height, 22 width, and 14 dept, 50 lbs limit.... i'll have hiking poles that can't stick out..... my plan.. to load my pack up as is, break down my hiking poles, and wrap duct tape around the whole configuration, and place it in a really lite weight duffel bag. any of you folks got some better ideas? thanks.

Miner
01-12-2012, 21:34
When I took the Amtrak home from the PCT, I took my poles apart and stuck them inside my pack. I also removed all the stuff from the outside pockets and put them inside. I then put the pack AS IS on the luggage rack over my seat. No need for a duffel bag. Now if you are carrying a really big pack, things may be different. I did carry a plastic grocery bag with a book, jacket, camera, and snacks in it that I kept on the floor in front of my seat to save me from having to dig through my pack during travel.

ekeverette
01-12-2012, 21:45
thank you miner.... my packs kinda big. osprey 70 liter....'ll figure something out.... part of the adventure!

Shadowalker
01-12-2012, 22:21
I plan on taking MEGA Bus from Harrisburg Pa. If I purchase my tckt, now it will cost me all of $14.00 with 3 L O , and thats to Alanta , My question is even if I would decide to go by AMTRAK , Where is the closest point I can get into near Springer Mnt. by taking Mass Transit , meaning by Bus or Train !! THANKS !!

ekeverette
01-12-2012, 22:40
im starting from rocky mount nc, to greensboro, nc, then to gainsville ga, about 30 miles from the hikers hostel. they will pick me up from there. to answer your question, i believe its gainsville ga. cost me 88.00 bucks. thats for the train... bus i don't know.

Shadowalker
01-12-2012, 23:02
Hey Thanks , I was told before to get into Gainsville , But who would I be contacting to get to the Hostel , and is the Hostel about 30 miles from Gainsville , Is there a No. to call , I imagine it would be a shuttle , My departure date is not in stone but I wanna be on the Trail no later than the 2nd. week of March , Im sure I will be joined by many a other Hikers being that time of Yr. , But dont want to end up in Gainsville and not know where Im heading too next , I dont think the W B start at the lol Bus Stop , Any Input , Appriecated !!

TOMP
01-12-2012, 23:26
I plan on taking MEGA Bus from Harrisburg Pa. If I purchase my tckt, now it will cost me all of $14.00 with 3 L O , !

Where did you find this fare, I checked thier website and that route isnt available. It seems like only local stops (1-5 hour trips). Id like to take advantage of it if it is just 14 bucks.

ekeverette
01-13-2012, 06:07
hiker hostel. they will shuttle back to their place.....770-312-7342.

Joey C
01-13-2012, 06:52
I rode the train to Gainesville, GA. I did nothing special with my pack or trekking poles. The poles were strapped to the outside of my pack, and all fit neatly into the space above my seat. I pre-arranged with Josh and Leigh at the Hiker Hostel for a pickup and stay with them, which was most enjoyable. Nothing to it, really.

- Make a res. with Amtrak
- Make a res. with the Hiker Hostel
- sit back and enjoy the ride!

ekeverette
01-13-2012, 08:59
thanks joey c.

Janeway
01-13-2012, 10:04
I'm taking Amtrak from Cincinnati to Gainesville, with one layover in Charlottesville, VA and I've reserved the Viewliner Roomette, which I feel is probably overkill, but should eliminate problems with what to do with my pack, and I'll be comfortable. I had been planning on a rolling duffel (Big Agnes Stagecoach Waterproof rolling duffel) to make it more manageable for into station, onto train, off of train, around station, back on train, etc, but my faithful outfitter set me straight. He suggested (duh) I just carry it around like a backpack. Just saddle up for all those changes. I figure since the pack will be with me at all times, as opposed to having to check it for flying (and goodness knows what can happen there, including being lost), that is the way to go. Besides, unless I can find a really collapsible duffel, shipping it back home after arrival would be pricey. Hiker Hostel is picking me up in Gainesville. BTW, I suggest making your train reservations as soon as possible because schedules are somewhat limited--I had to choose dates that they had which left me with no choices--I leave Cincinnati at 3:30 AM Sunday morning and arrive in Gainesville on Monday 7:00AM, resulting in a Feb 28 start date instead of Feb 29. So Amtrak will probably influence your schedule more than anything.

Sandy of PA
01-13-2012, 10:50
I use my backpack as luggage on Amtrak all the time. To and from my hikes I put my poles inside. I did not carry alchol fuel, picked it up in Harpers Ferry, left the remainder with Mike at High Point Country Inn, NJ when he shuttled me to Port Jarvis after my section hike. Also went to Wishram,WA from Pittsburgh, PA and back with my pack. No problems.

Dirty Nails
01-17-2012, 19:08
I used Amtrak from NYC to Va. and also Me. back to NYC. No problems at all. When I rode every car had a big empty area in front of the bathroom. That's exactly for things like over-sized luggage, wheelchairs and the like. If you take a seat near there, you just put it on the floor there.
I recommend traveling off-peak, especially avoid holidays. During holidays the train gets full and then getting a seat where you like is tough, and luggage storage is more challenging. I would deffinately travel on Saturday to avoid crowds and get a better rate.
I carried my pack right on board, put it on the empty seat next to me, or on the floor in front of the empty seat. It also fit above me, no problem. My poles were collapsed and strapped to my pack.

rocketsocks
01-17-2012, 19:15
Is it the Midnight train.Sorry OCD kick'n in.....Again:)

Papa D
01-17-2012, 20:05
If price is not a concern, get the smallest sleeper - called a viewliner roomette - really comfortable way to go.

Old Hiker
01-18-2012, 14:16
Is it the Midnight train.Sorry OCD kick'n in.....Again:)

Nope - OP stated, "Gonna take a freight train down at the station, Lord".

I took my pack to the local AMTRAK station, fit it into the cage, asked about my rolled up pad and walking staff and was told I had no problems.

stranger
01-19-2012, 17:16
No one really checks anything on trains, you basically walk on the train with your pack and stash it above your seat. I didn't take fuel with me cause I though someone might give me slack about it but if I was going again I would take fuel. No one said anything about poles to me, in any event like others have said take them apart and tape them together, they pack down smaller.

Amtrak is a great way to get to Springer, you arrrive in Gainesville at 7am, I was on Springer Mountain by 9:45am I believe. Sleeper cars are the way to go for sure if you got the coin. Leigh will pick you up right at the station, can stop at the bank or fast food for breakfast, fill up your fuel bottle before heading to Springer.

stranger
01-19-2012, 17:17
Another reason to take a train is the movement factor, the seats are much, much bigger and roomier than bus or plane, you can get up and walk around, go to the dining car, etc...You can't do that on a bus no matter how cheap the fare is.

bamboo bob
01-19-2012, 17:26
I did the train and loved it. No hassle with gear or anything else. But you have to remember to GET OFF at the right stop. It is not an airplane.

rocketsocks
01-19-2012, 18:01
Nope - OP stated, "Gonna take a freight train down at the station, Lord".

I took my pack to the local AMTRAK station, fit it into the cage, asked about my rolled up pad and walking staff and was told I had no problems.Oh,so that's a"Slow Train through George",to ease my worried mind?

rocketsocks
01-19-2012, 18:02
a......................

rocketsocks
01-19-2012, 18:03
ia................:o

Panzer1
01-19-2012, 21:53
Where did you find this fare, I checked thier website and that route isnt available. It seems like only local stops (1-5 hour trips). Id like to take advantage of it if it is just 14 bucks.

WWW.MegaBus.com (http://www.MegaBus.com)
1) Harrisburgh to Washington DC
2) Washington DC to Charlotte
3) Charlotte to Atlanta
4) Atlanta to Gainesville

Also, on Megabus, you must put your backpack in the storage compartment because there is not enough space to bring it on board the bus with you.

Panzer

joshuasdad
01-20-2012, 10:45
It does not look like Megabus goes to Gainesville -- plus no need to get to Gainesville anyway -- just get to North Springs MARTA (their rail system) station in Atlanta and catch a shuttle from the Hiker Hostel.

See http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php for the thru-hiker special.