the strong level of financial support from so many of you, overall
contributions and other revenues in recent years have significantly declined
with the economy. These revenues are the life blood of a non-profit
organizations like the CDTA.

Consequently, the CDTA Board of Directors has made the very difficult and
painful decision to cease operations of the CDTA. The financial condition
of the organization has been unstable and deteriorating for a number of
years. We have not been able to raise the necessary financial resources to
sustain the continued operations of the organization.

We are taking the actions necessary to complete our outstanding contracts
for work on behalf of the Trail. We are retaining the services of our
committed and outstanding staff to meet our current obligations, to the
extent financially possible, as we complete closing down CDTA over the next
few weeks.

This is a sad day. But the Trail is still here, and it continues to inspire
us all. We are confident this inspiration will lead people to start a new
and stronger organization to continue the work on the Trail.

The Board and dedicated staff of the CDTA would like to thank each and every
one of you for your tremendous commitment and support of the Continental
Divide National Scenic Trail and the CDTA. We are truly humbled by the
selfless actions of so many and hopefully this will inspire another group of
people to continue the mission of CDTA.

I don't know anything else at all.

Rain Man

fiddlehead
01-12-2012, 22:37
Is the "Society" still going? (Jim Wolf)
I always felt Jim and his "CDT society" felt it was more important to put the trail where the scenery was best and water sources available and that the "Alliance" was more into raising money.
Anyway, this news does not hurt or bother me.
I like the CDT the way it is: a bit unfinished, a path that disappears sometimes and hikers have to make up their own mind which way to go.
Give them choices, that way they will expand their horizons.

yogi
01-12-2012, 22:41
What trail club sent you that notice? There's nothing about this on the CDTA website.

burger
01-12-2012, 23:30
Yogi, that message was on the front page of their web site earlier today (it's not there now for some reason). And I got the exact same message via email when I asked about membership. It's legit.

yogi
01-12-2012, 23:41
Wow. I'm shocked. This really strikes a blow for the trail. I disagree with purism on the CDT, and in my opinion the CDTA establishing an "official route" violates the very nature of the trail. However, I do recognize the fact that establishing an official trail helps with protection (via money and volunteers). I'm sorry this is happening.

handlebar
01-13-2012, 01:33
This is really bad news. I was looking forward to joining a CDTA trail crew this summer to give back to the trail. As to "official route", I believe it has been done on a collaborative basis but primarily by the US Forest Service. The CDTS is still around, but I think it is mainly Jim Wolfe. The CDTA was modeled after the ATC. It's a shame it's closing its doors.

Sly
01-13-2012, 02:32
This is really bad news. I was looking forward to joining a CDTA trail crew this summer to give back to the trail. As to "official route", I believe it has been done on a collaborative basis but primarily by the US Forest Service. The CDTS is still around, but I think it is mainly Jim Wolfe. The CDTA was modeled after the ATC. It's a shame it's closing its doors.

Jim Wolf has done more for the CDT than anyone on the planet.

burger
01-13-2012, 08:43
BTW, over on the CDT-l mailing list, folks are still disupting the authenticity of the disbandment message. If you go to the CDTA website now (cdtrail.org), the links for the store and donations are gone. There's no message about closing up shop, but I don't know any other reason why they'd take down those links.

fiddlehead
01-13-2012, 09:46
Jim Wolf has done more for the CDT than anyone on the planet.
That's what I was tryin to say.
He cares about the important things to hikers.

HT1
01-13-2012, 11:57
THE CDTA has members, and according to the doc below, a full member vote, not a descision of the board is required to disband officially, though you will note the statement above is they choose to "cease operation", an election of a new board and reorganisation maybe the intent.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=DOC_14713.pdf

any members of CDTA need to contact the board immediately. and demand a copy of the boards minutes

Someone may be trying something shady

Mags
01-13-2012, 17:21
Like Yogi, I take more of a corridor approach to the trail vs a
designated route. But, there is no denying how much the CDTA has helped
to preserve, protect and promote this trail.

Anyway, nothing shady going on...this announcement was just posted to cdt-l.

From the CDTA:

Thank you all for all your notes and concern. Please see the official notice from CDTA’s Board of Directors. It’s a sad day for all….

Notice to the Supporters of the Continental Divide Trail Alliance

The Continental Divide Trail Alliance (CDTA) was formed in 1995 to assist federal land management agencies in the completion, management and protection of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (“Trail”). Since that time, CDTA volunteers have dedicated nearly $7 million worth of labor while individuals, foundations, and businesses committed millions to the effort. As of 2011, of the 2,268 miles of the Trail completed CDTA volunteers are responsible for 525 of those miles, and to date only 832 miles remain to be constructed.
Increasing pressures from development in the West, rising land costs, and challenges with the longstanding down cycle in the economy threaten the completion of the Trail. Despite the strong level of financial support from so many of you, overall contributions and other revenues in recent years have significantly declined. These revenues are the life blood of nonprofit organizations like the CDTA.

Consequently, the CDTA Board of Directors has made the very difficult and painful decision to cease operations of the CDTA. The financial condition of the organization has been unstable and deteriorating for a number of years. We have not been able to raise the necessary financial resources to sustain the continued operations of the organization.

We are taking the actions necessary to complete our outstanding contracts for work on behalf of the Trail. We are retaining the services of our committed and outstanding staff to meet our current obligations, to the extent financially possible, as we complete closing down CDTA over the next few weeks.

This is a sad day. But the Trail is still here, and it continues to inspire us all. We are confident this inspiration will lead people to start a new and stronger organization to continue the work on the Trail.

The Board and dedicated staff of the CDTA would like to thank each and every one of you for your tremendous commitment and support of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail and the CDTA. We are truly humbled by the selfless actions of so many and hopefully this will inspire another group of people to continue the mission of CDTA.

Stay Tuned . . .

On Track
01-13-2012, 18:03
Same "Notice" was delivered to me via email. I feel for them, all involved. Some great people who've expended loads of effort trying. I've met some of 'em and wish them all well.

bearcreek
01-13-2012, 20:27
I have placed the waypoint data for New Mexico and Colorado on my Bearcreek web site. http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com You can download it there free of charge. Take the Waypoints link from the home page then scroll down a bit to the download link.

I am working on the data for Wyoming and Idaho/Montana. I am in the process of finalizing the WY data so it should be there soon.

My sincerest best wishes for the fine people I have worked with at CDTA. You are the best!

Spirit Walker
01-14-2012, 14:05
Bearcreek - will the mapbooks be available anywhere? I'm sorry to see all your hard work, and that of the volunteers who worked on the mapping effort, go to waste.

bearcreek
01-14-2012, 19:48
The mapbook issue is in the air right now. I will post here when it's resolved. Whatever happens, I will take as much personal time as needed to provide the waypoints for Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana before hikers take off this coming season.

Sly
01-16-2012, 16:14
Awesome Bearcreek.

Any chance of members taking over the CDTA as unpaid voluteers?

Wish my dues haden't expired if it ever comes to a vote of members.