PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 50 Pack

bulldog49
03-14-2005, 14:28
I tried one on at a local outfitter and was very impressed. I'm surprised to find very little information or talk about this pack on the web. Interested in hearing any first hand information from someone who uses it.

tlbj6142
03-14-2005, 16:12
I'm surprised to find very little information or talk about this pack on the web.It is a brand new model that has a few "freakish" design compoents. Both of those tend to slow down a piece of gear's "notice" factor in the market.

They have them at my local outfitters as well. I haven't tried one on yet, but the outfitter didn't like them (he's a very traditional backpacker). He thought there was very little pack volume and that the shape of the main pack bag was such that it was difficult to put "a lot of stuff in there".

Ask back in a year, and maybe we'll have more information for you then.:rolleyes:

MadAussieInLondon
03-14-2005, 16:16
when you start drilling holes in your hipbelt, mmm... i dunno. interesting pack but not really on my radar. I looked but was not sold on it.

papillion
03-14-2005, 16:49
There was a write-up on the Atmos 50 in Backpacker Magazines 2005 Gear Guide issue... If I remember correctly, they gave it a good review although they did mention somthing about the volume capicity being hindered by the shape of the frame support. I looked at one on display at Blue Ridge in Nashville and the main zipper split open with very little pressure from paper packed inside for display. Overall, it just didnt seem to be a very sturdy pack...

bulldog49
03-15-2005, 11:58
I saw that review as well and had the same concern. I was surprised though when I was able to load all my gear easily with room to spare for food, so packing it was not a problem. I was concerned with durability, as the materials seemd very fragile. A zipper pulled apart when I put my water filter in the accessory pocket.

Big Dawg
08-12-2005, 07:06
Has anybody out there put some miles on this pack??? please report???

verber
08-12-2005, 11:53
Has anybody out there put some miles on this pack??? please report???
I haven't, but I have a friend who has around 200 miles on it. So far, he is loving the pack. No durability issues, pack looks like new. He loves the way they pack carries, and he loves the ventilation even more. He has reported that not only does the back ventilation work well, but the drilled out straps also really help. The only complain I have heard is that since the frame pulls away from your back in the middle of the pack for ventilation... that the inside of the pack bag is somewhat narrowed. Not a problem with soft goods, but it's a pain to stuff in a bear canister.

--Mark

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2005, 12:06
Haven't used this one much myself, but have known several folks who did.....while helping out at the Outfitters in Hot Springs this March, I fitted and sold several of these packs to thru-hikers who wanted to switch out to something new; have heard from (or actually run into) several of these folks later on this spring and summer, all of whom were very happy with the pack and its performance. The pack is selling out (or has sold out) in many places, as manufacturers are often cautious with brand-new items; they don't know how many to make and if something becomes a hit, they sometimes run out. In any case, it appears that Osprey has another winner with the Atmos 50.

A previous poster described several "freakish" design features. That's not a word I would use. Instead, I think it has some unique features, including a large mesh pocket behind the straps that helps the pack breathe; this spot is handy for stuffing things like a rainjacket or light fleece. Also, there are two small mesh pockets built-in to the hip-belt, which are perfect for small cameras, maps, light snacks, etc. All in all, a clever design, suitable for those seeking something different from the small packs presently offered by Granite Gear, Go-Lite, Gregory, and others.

D'Artagnan
08-12-2005, 15:09
The clerk at Great Outdoor Provision Company in Winston-Salem, NC also suggested the space behind the mesh was a good place to put a water bladder essentially turning it into a Camel-bak. I thought this was a good suggestion. I still haven't gone with the Atmos 50 since I'm hoping they incorporate some of the same innovative design features in a slightly larger pack next year. Seems like Osprey is really onto something here if it proves durable.

sheldon
08-13-2005, 08:01
I have used it on 3 trips so far this year (I have a 3yr old that doesn't like it when I disappear for a while). As for durability, so far, no problems, sure haven't had any zipper issues or any other issues with the packbag or frame so far. I haven't loaded it past 25 lbs, nor do I intend to, not because the pack can't handle more but because my 52 yr old back won't carry more. As for the frame hindering capacity or loading/unloading, it does jut into the packbag a bit, but I haven't had any problems carrying all my gear which includes a down bag, insulmat pad, shires tarptent (just got a HH backpacker hammock) and can put the water bladder either inside the pack in it's sleeve thought that does take up lots of room, or between the packbag and mesh backing which leaves lots more room in the packbag. I found it very comfortable with my load and much cooler because of the mesh backing. I love all the pockets and organizing capability, the shoulder straps and hipbelt were very comfortable though I did see one review that suggested that the hipbelt will cut into your hips if over 25 lbs. I can tell you that at 24 lbs. I felt nothing but comfortable. Try it at a local dealer, bring your own gear and spend a couple of hours carrying it around, it will tell you what you need to know for comfort and also whether or not it will fit all your gear.

RedneckRye
08-13-2005, 13:35
Our Osprey rep stopped by the shop where I work 2 weeks ago with all of their new stuff for next year. The Atmos packs don't change at all. They have a new series, the Stratos Packs, 12-34 liter technical day/climbing/ski packs. The Aether and Ariel series has been redone - new sizes (80, 70, 60 for the Aethers and 75, 65, 55 for the Arials) and also they will have the custom moldable belts that were introduced on the Crescent and Luna packs this spring. Crescent and Lunas stay the same.
My boss is in Salt Lake this weekend for the Outdoor Retailer Tradeshow, so next week I will have my nose buried in new catalogs.

Big Dawg
08-13-2005, 14:29
[QUOTE=RedneckRye] The Aether and Ariel series has been redone - new sizes (80, 70, 60 for the Aethers and 75, 65, 55 for the Arials) and also they will have the custom moldable belts that were introduced on the Crescent and Luna packs this spring. QUOTE]

Hey, RedneckRye,,,,, are there any pictures available on the net of the new Aether 60,,,,,other than the BioForm hip belt replacement, I'm curious as to how the look of the Aether has changed,,, & also curious if the weight has stayed the same, or increased/decreased?? :-?

RedneckRye
08-13-2005, 16:21
I have no idea if there are any photos out there yet of the '06 aethers. I'm sitting here right now with the '06 workbook in front of me, looking at a line drawing of the new pack. Here are specs for the '06 in a size medium : 3700 cubic inches, 3lb15oz, $199, available in mineral green or sunburst (both really bright colors). Specs for the '05 in a size medium : 3700 cubic inches, 3lb8oz, $199, available in lapis blue or pinon green. So, same volume, 7oz heavier. The pocket setup has changed a bit - it is more like the Atmos 50, and the hipbelt is removeable not sewn in. The biggest difference I saw when I looked at it and tried it on was the backpanel. They call it a "ventilated nubbed foam backpanel", pretty much it was a colsed cell foam pad that is covered with pea sized bumps that sits upagainst your back. I pu about 30lbs in the pack and wore it around the shop for ~15 minutes and it seemed a bit more comfortable than the '05 model. The hipbelt is a bit more substantial.

yogi clyde
08-13-2005, 19:05
I have the 04 model of the Aether. Very comfortable, love the hip belt, and the way you pull it in, opposite of most belts that you pull out on.

I tried the Atmos in the store, seems very nice, but cannot justify buying another pack.

gschwartzman
08-16-2005, 14:33
I heard from Osprey today via email. New 06 Aether/Ariels will hit the stores in January. Is that normal or do companies ever release the next years model in the current year? Sorta like automobiles?

I'm torn- current 05 model or wait for the 06. I like the idea of picking up the (slightly) lighter 05 model.

RedneckRye
08-16-2005, 17:45
Last year's (January'05) Osprey Packs were supposed to be available on Jan 15, we got the first shipment of them in the door at my shop on the 17th or 18th. That isn't to say that there aren't a few of next year's floating around out there already. I've already started begging our Osprey rep to let me borrow his '06 sample for my trip up to NH in early October.
If you keep your eyes peeled, there will probably be some '05 models on sale in the fall.

DLFrost
08-17-2005, 02:07
Here are specs for the '06 in a size medium : 3700 cubic inches, 3lb15oz, $199, available in mineral green or sunburst (both really bright colors). Specs for the '05 in a size medium : 3700 cubic inches, 3lb8oz, $199, available in lapis blue or pinon green. So, same volume, 7oz heavier. The pocket setup has changed a bit - it is more like the Atmos 50, and the hipbelt is removeable not sewn in.
Not good. One of the things I immediately disliked about the Atmos when I looked at it in the store was the "front" pocket--it's too tight. You can only get a map or hat in there. The mesh pocket on all current Aether/Ariel models is roomy and will easily accomodate a loosly stuffed poncho, rainsuit or tarp. (The other Atmos feature I disliked was how the frame pokes so far back into the storage space and does not appear to be adjustable.) Makes me really glad I got my Aether 60 last year.

About the Atmos... When I looked at it the mesh on the sides was sewn in. Is the behind-the-back area accessable from the top? I couldn't see how you could get anything in there...

Doug Frost

joeCbkb
08-17-2005, 15:15
About the Atmos... When I looked at it the mesh on the sides was sewn in. Is the behind-the-back area accessable from the top? I couldn't see how you could get anything in there...

Doug Frost
The mesh area is accessible from the top, inside the main compartment. The first time I saw it, I thought it would be perfect for a bladder in warmer months...or a fleece in cooler ones.
My gf picked up an Atmos 50 a few months ago, absolutely loves it. So, I went out and just got one today. I've had a Gregory Palisade for years, and it is a great pack, but it's larger and heavier than what I need for a quick weekend trip. Plus, living in SC..any trip this time of year is so hot; the Atmos should be perfect with all it's ventilation to help make my short trips more comfortable.

Alot of the complaints in this thread don't seem to be taking this pack for what it is.....This pack certainly is NOT meant to carry 35+lbs with all sorts of gear hanging off it. It is designed for the ultra-light backpacker, and from what I've seen so far..it excels at just that.
I'm taking it out this weekend for a 2-night trip of backpacking/fly fishing. I'll report back next week on how well it performed..or didn't.

bulldog49
08-19-2005, 14:06
Not good. One of the things I immediately disliked about the Atmos when I looked at it in the store was the "front" pocket--it's too tight. You can only get a map or hat in there. The mesh pocket on all current Aether/Ariel models is roomy and will easily accomodate a loosly stuffed poncho, rainsuit or tarp. (The other Atmos feature I disliked was how the frame pokes so far back into the storage space and does not appear to be adjustable.) Makes me really glad I got my Aether 60 last year.

Doug Frost

Not sure which pocket you are referring to as the "front" pocket but you are mistaken in any case. If you mean the mesh pocket that goes against your back, you can fit a 3 liter water bladder in there. If you are talking about the shovel type stretch pocket on the outside of the pack, I carry my folded up tent in that pocket, sans stuff sack.

I love this pack, nothing I've used is as comfortable for carrying up to 30 lb loads. The curved frame could be a problem if you want to fit something firm like a bear canister in the bottom of the pack, but I can fit my winter sleeping bag, sleeping pad and a weeks worth of food with no problem.

I debated between the Atmos 50 and the Vapor Trail but choose the Atmos because of it's various outside pockets so I can easily get to things without digging around inside. I also believe the Atmos is more comfortable because it keeps the load off your back and transfers the weight onto your hips.

Big Dawg
08-19-2005, 20:55
I love this pack, nothing I've used is as comfortable for carrying up to 30 lb loads.

Hey Bulldog49, have you ever carried more than 30lbs, if so, when does it become uncomfortable (at what weight)?

bulldog49
08-21-2005, 22:14
Hey Bulldog49, have you ever carried more than 30lbs, if so, when does it become uncomfortable (at what weight)?

I started out on a 1 week solo hike on the Superior Hiking Trail with 25 lbs. I've read reports that 30 lbs can be carried comfortably and 35 lbs is definitely out of the comfort range.

Actually, for a short stretch of about a mile with an elevation gain of 900' I carried about 30 lbs when I filled a 3 liter Platy with water to a dry camp. Still felt pretty comfortable.

DLFrost
08-22-2005, 02:45
Not sure which pocket you are referring to as the "front" pocket but you are mistaken in any case. If you mean the mesh pocket that goes against your back, you can fit a 3 liter water bladder in there. If you are talking about the shovel type stretch pocket on the outside of the pack, I carry my folded up tent in that pocket, sans stuff sack.
I was referring to the shovel-pocket in the "front." (For some reason pack makers refer to that side of a pack as the front even though it faces backwards when in use.)

I stopped by and had a closer look at the 50 and I agree with you that the pocket on this size Atmos is quite functional. (The smaller size models are another matter though.) It does seem to be a likeable product, with the usual Ospery attention to detail. I think I would have perfered a single large outer pocket with duel zips to the two (more flexible).

One oddity on the 50 I noticed: The duel ladder-loops were nice, but the insides of them are lined with stitched-in male Velcro. A store sales guy suggested it was for increased friction. I don't see for what though...

Doug Frost

joeCbkb
08-22-2005, 14:11
Well, I'm back from my first outing with my new Atmos 50 and I can definitely give the pack a dancing banana :banana!! It was the most refreshing backpacking experience I've had; partly due to carrying less weight than I usually do...but mainly due to the incredible comfort level the Atmos provided. I really had the pack loaded down, what with all my fly fishing gear; but it still performed very well. I'm definitely looking forward to another trip w/o the approx. 6-7 lbs of fishin' gear.
I do agree that the very 'front' pocket is not too useful when the rest of the pack is really fully loaded, it could be a little larger, but the material is extraordinarily stretchy. The same material is used on the side pockets, for water bottle, tent poles, etc.... I am curious to see how well this material holds up as the pack ages; as I really stretched it to it's max. Time will tell, I certainly recommend this pack for lightweight trips.....definitely keep it under 30 lbs!!

D'Artagnan
08-31-2005, 13:22
I recently bought an Atmos 50 after learning on this thread that Osprey wasn't offering a larger size in 2006. I, too, was curious about the "stitched-in male Velcro" mentioned in DLFrost's post above. Wonder if it could be something to do with Osprey "Excessories" like the Crampon Pocket? Or possibly something to do with Velcro bungees (although I haven't seen any that are exclusively "female")? Hopefully someone can solve the mystery as it otherwise seems like a superfluous addition to an otherwise well-designed, streamlined pack. In any event, I'm glad I acquired it for all the same reasons already stated by others herein.

D'Artagnan
08-31-2005, 13:24
Is using "otherwise" twice in the same sentence in and of itself superfluous? D'OH!!!

bulldog49
08-31-2005, 15:43
Is using "otherwise" twice in the same sentence in and of itself superfluous? D'OH!!!

Yes, it was superflously superflous. :)

Kerosene
08-31-2005, 15:45
Yes, it was superfluously superfluous. :banana

Bassline
08-31-2005, 16:52
I carried this pack for 1,400 miles. If anyone has any questions, I would love to help out. I believe that it is an incredible pack. It does an amazing job of giving you a light weight/comfortable combo. Damn fine pack that I will be using again next year!!!

RedneckRye
09-02-2005, 08:09
I called Osprey customer service yesterday to try to solve the mystery of the velcro on the daisy chain. It is for the adjustible ice axe loop. The webbing loops at the bottom of the pack (that would go around the head of the axe) are the same as on any other pack. The top loop (that would secure the shaft of the axe) is attached to the daisy chain with the velcro and can be moved up and down the daisy chain.

sierraDoug
09-03-2005, 02:58
I carried this pack for 1,400 miles. If anyone has any questions, I would love to help out. I believe that it is an incredible pack. It does an amazing job of giving you a light weight/comfortable combo. Damn fine pack that I will be using again next year!!!
I just tried one of these packs on at REI in Berkeley and it felt pretty darned good with 25 lbs in it. My concerns would mostly be around fitting stuff into the curved main bag. Did you (or anyone) ever carry a bear can with this pack? If so, how?

Also, with all the miles you've put on it, did the aluminum frame wear against the fabric and make any holes?

Thanks for the info.

Bassline
09-03-2005, 11:05
I just tried one of these packs on at REI in Berkeley and it felt pretty darned good with 25 lbs in it. My concerns would mostly be around fitting stuff into the curved main bag. Did you (or anyone) ever carry a bear can with this pack? If so, how?

Also, with all the miles you've put on it, did the aluminum frame wear against the fabric and make any holes?

Thanks for the info.
I cant help you with the bear can issue. All I can say is to try it out in the store. As far as wearing holes through it, I didnt have a problem with that at all. The frame held up very well.

sierraDoug
09-03-2005, 12:16
Thanks for the reply about wear and the frame.

I tried putting a Garcia bear can inside. No can do. If a person were determined, I suppose you could strap it under the top lid. Might slide around though.